• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

Just got to Chapter 3, and I'm REALLY enjoying it so far. It's not without its jank by any means, and I dislike how I can't exactly explore the city when it seems like it would be great to traverse through, but nonetheless, really enjoying it. If it remains as good as it has been so far, then, at least to me, it'll be a great game. Not GOTY by any means, but definitely has the potential to be a great game.

Grisby

Only an hour or so in. Man I love this universe. And yeah, I'm getting some huge TLJ vibes.

Hell of an opening on the visual front. Game looks real good on the 360.

The way the music builds in and out when you hit your combo is pretty damn cool. One little neat bit (early early environment spoilers)
I liked jumping over a sign to reveal your wanted poster.
Wow, the soundtrack. OST of the year.
Also, this.

I'm still early in the game so I didn't notice any camera issues in battle. But damn, if it has problems with bigger fights that is disappointing. Not that surprising though I suppose, given what I said about the camera freaking out in small corridors.

Other than the prospect of dodge abuse, this all sounds good to me, at least on paper. There's also no health regen right, you only get health back by assigning it to a combo or getting a powerup?

Camera issues are one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm prepared for the worst :p

The reason the camera can get crazy is later you get the ability to shoot enemies that climb on walls to bring them down to your level for fighting. When you do this it auto locks on and you can manually move. When your in this mode it sort of zooms in. So you can see where doing this in battle, and then with the normal battle camera as it is, and going back and forth between the two, it can get somewhat crazy on the fights where you have like 7 characters coming after you. Again, I'm playing on hard so maybe it's more intense because of it, but I can't confirm.

As for health regen, only for the specific fight moves. Otherwise there is healing stations in the levels.

So far, the ideas, style, world, setting, theme, and music just totally make the expererience worth it for me. Regardless of the small issues I have. We need more games of this caliber from new franchises.

Karak

Interesting that people are also seeing Beyond Good and Evil. Funny that one particular person mentioned that while we were playing but I brought up Longest Journey and the conversation moved to that. But I can see the Beyond Good and Evil a bit as well.

I also agree with possibly the soundtrack of the year. The first time you leap into a battle and the music remixes around its crazy.

I played about 7 more hours last night despite having already sat through it twice. Its just a beautiful world.

Roubjon

Woah, these impressions are awesome. Fuck it I'm buying it after work today. Im so playing it in french as well.

How's the French voice acting?
I think the French voice acting from what I have played sounds great. I am not a French native and only know a little bit of the language, so to my American ears it sounds much better than the English voice acting.

^ This, and also can you have French audio + English subtitles?
Yes, there are subtitles. I'm playing the PC version on 2560 x 1600 resolution and the subtitles are a little smaller than I would like; I can still read them, but my eyes tend to focus on the very bottom of the screen more so than when reading subtitles in foreign films. I haven't tried other resolutions yet with subtitles.

TentPole

^ This, and also can you have French audio + English subtitles?

Yes, but I found the subtitles to be far to small on the PC version. To read them I have to take my eyes off the action and look at these tiny subtitles at the very bottom of the screen. It is troublesome enough that I just switched back to English.

I imagine it has to do with playing at 1920x1080 and shouldn't be a problem on the lower resolutions of the console versions, but I haven't tested lower resolution to confirm that it is the cause.

I don't speak a lick of French. However I played with english subtitles and french language and it was awesome. It lent a bit of a alien nature to the game.

I'm going to try this on Friday when it unlocks. I'm vaguely familiar with French but i'll be lost with native speakers at full tilt so it will add a great deal of atmosphere i'm sure. Roll on Friday!

I love Steampunk but more Cyberpunk is never a bad thing and a breath of fresh air, yes. I backed the Cyberpunk 2077 game too.

Does anyone else find the CyberPunk setting refreshing after SO much of the SteamPunk aesthetics in games?

Yes Definitely. Its a shame that the combat isnt just a little bit faster. I feel like its a little slow. Im loving the atmosphere and lighting a lot. Characters names are a little funny.

Karak

I'm going to try this on Friday when it unlocks. I'm vaguely familiar with French but i'll be lost with native speakers at full tilt so it will add a great deal of atmosphere i'm sure. Roll on Friday!

I love Steampunk but more Cyberpunk is never a bad thing and a breath of fresh air, yes. I backed the Cyberpunk 2077 game too.

It really worked well to add a bit of freshness and yes like an alien feel.

Zafir

Graphics are generally nice on the PC version disregarding textures on people being very hit and miss. I can't stand the film grain though. Tried to have a look through config files but couldn't find anywhere to turn it off.

To be fair, judging the game just on the intro/early chapters isn't really fair. These reviews played the entire game. I imagine just like any movie/tv show, it can fall apart along the way. Especially if the game stops being fun, or the story becomes bad.

Maybe the beginning is really great, and then the rest isn't?
Well, for a quick update (still streaming btw on twitch), I'm now somewhere in the middle of Episode 3 and my feeling of joy and such for the game is still going strong. I am still constantly stopping at what feels like every corner just to soak in the atmosphere. I mean hell right now I'm staring at some rocks inside a sewer and am appreciating the details gone into everything.

This game definitely feels like all the attention and polish went into the environments and stuff like that, which may be why combat is a little stiff and other such complaints. Anyway those aren't enough for me to detract from the overwhelmingly positive aspects of the rest of the game. And I will have to admit that as I am getting used to combat, I am enjoying it more and understand what I need to be doing. But I will echo the earlier sentiment that the pre-order Street Fighter moves are OP as fuck. I can't even finish my 5-hit combo that I stacked with those moves, because the enemies die before I get to my last hit.

I almost don't want to just play this all day because then I might beat it too soon. Not sure how long it is but I am literally savoring every moment and new environment I come across. Otherwise I would run past it in a second and never appreciate the detail put into every scene.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, for a quick update (still streaming btw on twitch), I'm now somewhere in the middle of Episode 3 and my feeling of joy and such for the game is still going strong. I am still constantly stopping at what feels like every corner just to soak in the atmosphere. I mean hell right now I'm staring at some rocks inside a sewer and am appreciating the details gone into everything.

This game definitely feels like all the attention and polish went into the environments and stuff like that, which may be why combat is a little stiff and other such complaints. Anyway those aren't enough for me to detract from the overwhelmingly positive aspects of the rest of the game. And I will have to admit that as I am getting used to combat, I am enjoying it more and understand what I need to be doing. But I will echo the earlier sentiment that the pre-order Street Fighter moves are OP as fuck. I can't even finish my 5-hit combo that I stacked with those moves, because the enemies die before I get to my last hit.

I almost don't want to just play this all day because then I might beat it too soon. Not sure how long it is but I am literally savorimg every moment and new environment I come across. Otherwise I would run past it in a second and never appreciate the detail put into every scene.

That's great to hear. I'm going to start Episode 3 right now, and I'm still enjoying the game too.

Karak

welcome to the world of 'why we love/prefer our japanese dubs'. &, yeah, i'll be going this route, as well (hell, i even played assassin's creed 2 in italian :) )...

No.
I have tried that. It only works for me in very specific instances like wanting to add an otherworld element.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Is this the same engine that DmC was running on? I wasn't expecting to be able to run the game at 60fps with everything maxed out, but I seem to be able to.

I got to the beginning of chapter three last night. Game seems pretty great so far, I just wish there was more of the memory remixing.

Is this the same engine that DmC was running on? I wasn't expecting to be able to run the game at 60fps with everything maxed out, but I seem to be able to.

Yes, Unreal Engine 3.

Graphics are generally nice on the PC version disregarding textures on people being very hit and miss. I can't stand the film grain though. Tried to have a look through config files but couldn't find anywhere to turn it off.

Might not be possible in the config files. Will probably have to use a shader remover mod. I'm going to try at some point tonight...

This game brings back my GTA IV syndrome in that I want to walk the whole time because the walking animation is topnotch and the world building/realization is so good and believable that I want to explore everything.

This is one of the best realized worlds in a game this year. It actually feels lived in.

Oh and I'll state again the music in this is UNREAL.

sqwarlock

I haven't watched a single video on this game until today, and wow does it look good. Is it a long game? Or is it at least 10+ hours? Also, how does the PC version look, and how well would an i5 & 560Ti run it?

SpyGuy239

Really interested to see how the reviews/GAF opinions of this go.

Was so exited when this was initially announced, but after the video they put out about the combat, and seeing the actual animations...I was disappointed ): Still hoping it turns out good!

derFeef

Damn, I want to play this so bad now, mixed reviews be damned. It's still not out here.

The last year or so, I am getting the most fun out of games that had recieved mixed reviews.
I am not enjoying Infinite that much as example, and was actually quite surprised how much I like RE6 on the PC.

Daeda

Finished my write up for the review today.

Overall, Im not impressed to be honest. The story is a mess to me and the game fails in properly communicating how its world works. Sure, it all looks pretty, but I feel it's full of plot holes and the game doesnt actually know what its message is. This isnt improved by the fact that the final plottwists fall short by not actually creating a bond between Nilin and the other characters on the one side and Nilin and the player on the other. By the latter, I mean that each time Nilin remembers something, all we get is some lousy dialogue that doesnt make you feel like you've remembered anything.

Also "Remember you later" is the worst greet ever.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ugh, I hate seeing this game getting livestreamed all over the place while I have to wait two more days. It's pretty hard not to click one of those streams, haha.

Finished my write up for the review today.

Overall, Im not impressed to be honest. The story is a mess to me and the game fails in properly communicating how its world works. Sure, it all looks pretty, but I feel it's full of plot holes and the game doesnt actually know what its message is. This isnt improved by the fact that the final plottwists fall short by not actually creating a bond between Nilin and the other characters on the one side and Nilin and the player on the other. By the latter, I mean that each time Nilin remembers something, all we get is some lousy dialogue that doesnt make you feel like you've remembered anything.

Also "Remember you later" is the worst greet ever.

Feels like you have more of a problem with the story/dialog and not the gameplay, visual side of the house.

Mononoke

Banned
I have to say, the more I play this, the more I'm falling in love with it. The soundtrack is amazing. The art design is breathtaking (when you are climbing buildings and you see the gorgeous backdrops). The architecture, the sci-fi elements (loved when I came across a robot playing piano, and the chords were displayed on a holo HUD) are all amazing. There is just so much I really like about this game. The buildings at times remind me of Mirrors Edge (just the sleek look and their color). The story and world's vibe reminds me of The Longest Journey. And they just do everything right with regards to the sci-fi elements. I can't stress how much I love the world in this game. It's like Spielberg's AI on crack.

I still need to actually finish the game before I can judge it. But there are things about this game that I already find stellar. And honestly, the only thing I can think of that could make me not love this game is if the story starts to fall flat. But in terms of the gameplay, I don't find this any more linear/repetitive than Bioshock Infinite. In fact, I'm actually enjoying the combat a bit more. My only gripe is the camera (now that I'm playing a bit more, I can see where it's a bit janky). This game is very cinematic/linear story driven. But I think reviewers are being a bit unfair to this game. There are so many AAA titles that follow this same design/formula, and get a pass. And tbh, this game goes above and beyond those games in terms of making the world/interesting. There is just so many details in this game, little events that get set off around you as you do the platforming sections. I have to say, this is the most immersive sci-fi game I've played in recent years (in terms of it hitting all the aesthetics of the genre).

EDIT: I have not yet finished the game though, so with regards to the story, again maybe it all falls apart or doesn't connect. So my last statement isn't fair to compare this to other games that are story/driven linear.

Are we gonna get a Rremember Me PC performance thread or what?

How's the performance on the PCs, for those who have it?

I have 2gb GTX 680 SLI. Getting 100 FPS+ it will sometimes dip to 75 fps or go up to 114 FPS. But generally stays in the 100 range. I'm also gaming at 2560x1600p. I imagine if you are 1080p with a single 680, this would easily destroy this game. I have everything maxed out btw. I should also point out, my CPU is weaker than most with this set up, and I'm not even OC. So I'm sure those that have all their stuff finely tuned are getting an even better performance. But so far the game has been silky smooth for me. At 1600p resolution it's only using 1369mb of VRAM.

Are we gonna get a Rremember Me PC performance thread or what?

How's the performance on the PCs, for those who have it?
It is fantastic. No performance issues at all and it looks and runs great on my PC. I have an i5-3570k and a GTX480 with 8GB ram. Remember Me is one of the prettiest games I've seen. Maybe it's just the art style for me or something but I just love it. Like a perfect marriage of art design and technical proficiency.

This game could be a walking simulator through Neo-Paris and it might be almost as good as it already is. That's how much the environment and setting are impressive to me.

Daeda

Feels like you have more of a problem with the story/dialog and not the gameplay, visual side of the house.

Well, I felt the story shoulve set this game apart. Combat has some nice ideas (mostly the combo effect choices) but in the end, its too easy and often doesnt feel as fluid as it should be. And the world looks great, but its even more of a closed path than Uncharted was. So while gameplay is decent, its not really something that places this game above anything else.

Mononoke

Banned
I feel dumb asking, but anyone on PC get to the Kid Xmas boss fight yet? I have no idea what the second quick time event button is asking me to do. The first one is punch (left mouse button). No idea what they are asking me next. Must have accidentally skipped over the part where it told me what the next button is?

EDIT: Yup, I'm an idiot. It's space bar. Have no idea when I missed that part. Oh well. It was as simple as hitting tab, and looking up the tutorial section. *Puts on Dunce Cap*

VahnSSR

Banned
Gonna pick up my copy in a couple hours and I've been listening to some of the soundtrack to pass time.

This is some amazing stuff and I can't wait to hear it in game!

Well, I felt the story shoulve set this game apart. Combat has some nice ideas (mostly the combo effect choices) but in the end, its too easy and often doesnt feel as fluid as it should be. And the world looks great, but its even more of a closed path than Uncharted was. So while gameplay is decent, its not really something that places this game above anything else.

Understandable, but I can't relate to the bolded at all. Playing on hard. I've gotten my ass handed to me quite a few battles, especially getting further in the game.

I feel dumb asking, but anyone on PC get to the Kid Xmas boss fight yet? I have no idea what the second quick time event button is asking me to do. The first one is punch (left mouse button). No idea what they are asking me next. Must have accidentally skipped over the part where it told me what the next button is?

EDIT: Yup, I'm an idiot. It's space bar. Have no idea when I missed that part. Oh well. It was as simple as hitting tab, and looking up the tutorial section. *Puts on Dunce Cap*

Don't worry, I ended up messing up on that the first time too, and only after I realized that it was probably the dodge, lol.

Karak

I played on hard and it was...hard. Maybe I suck but man I wouldn't call it easy.

bryanee

The more I play the more I love it. The music and sound are amazing, the combat could be a little more fluid but I like it just fine, especially now I have unlocked a few more moves/powers.

I really enjoyed the boss fight against Xmas.

Top Bottom