• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

derFeef

Even the soundtrack is oddly appealing. Take that with the art, a bit of platforming, the custom combo building system that sounds pretty deep, along with some great looking special abilities, and this one all of the sudden has a special vibe to it. I don't know, it really kind of stands out for me.

Exactly, was always that case for me. People were just busy making fun of the name and voiceacting :)

I'll be picking this up on release. Looks good and I like to support games that take even a small chance with their design choices.

Even the soundtrack is oddly appealing. Take that with the art, a bit of platforming, the custom combo building system that sounds pretty deep, along with some great looking special abilities, and this one all of the sudden has a special vibe to it. I don't know, it really kind of stands out for me.

It's a game that will be a blind purchase unless some nasty reviews hit. Otherwise it's nice to get a game and have no idea what to expect. I know nothing about it.

ironcreed

Banned
Just watched the combo lab walkthrough again and find the thought put into how to approach different scenarios pretty darn impressive. I absolutely love some of the abilities as well. A shame there is so little hype.

GHG

Gold Member
First time ive heard about this game. Just read the op and watched the videos there andbim sold. Watch dogs/person of interest in a cyberpunk setting? I'm there day one.

Will go and pre-order on GMG later. This and grid 2 should keep me occupied for a few weeks.

Good job on the OP by the way. Only god knows how only a few people seem to have this on their radar.

haikira

From what i understand, Capcom sends games out to die regularly? What the hell.

Think i'm going to bite on the PC version, using the 20% off at GMG. Had my eye on this, since they first showed it. Was thinking of playing it safe and waiting on reviews, but i may be adventurous and grab it now.

I can't get less hyped for this.

Does that mean you're so hyped, you couldn't possibly lose any of that hype? Or does it mean you're so uninterested, you couldn't go any lower? I don't understand your hype level. =P

Ricker

Checking on Steam right now and why isn't this game in the slideshow of new games to get a little hype going for it on PC at least...you got Helsing and Dust,that's great but this should be there as well...still debating PC or Steam,depends if a friend will want to share on the 360...

Whens the reviews expected to drop on this?

There's been an 18/20 review from a French mag already.

N4G has a link to an Iranian site which has a scan of a score from German magazine PSM3 which gave it an 8/10, with the sample quote being, "Elaborately created Action Sci Fi that feels more like visiting a cinema than a video game," which isn't exactly great news in my book.

The only in depth preview other than Destructoid I've found is from the Brisbane Times. This has some very minor location spoilers you may still prefer to avoid. Some choice paragraphs:

I got to play through the first four to five hours of Remember Me and the thing that immediately hit me was how rich and fascinating the world was. Before we go into the rest of the game, we have to stop and talk about this. Anybody who reads this section regularly will know I love my sci-fi and the world of Remember Me hits most of the right notes. However, from what I got to play, it felt like a lot of the interesting elements were set-dressing and mere background elements. This does help the world feel more real, but for the story to really take advantage of the setting I would have loved to have seen some more situations that could only happen in Neo-Paris.

You're almost immediately introduced to the combat as those pesky mutants are definitely not friendly. Remember Me liberally appropriates the combat style introduced in Arkham Asylum, which everybody seems to be stealing these days, and introduces its own little twist. All moves are accomplished with the X and Y button (my preview was on a 360), but your combos are limited to the ones you've unlocked. I had only unlocked three by the end of my preview.

"Pressens" can be assigned to each button press however you like, which changes the alternate effect of the move. The basic attack is X, X, X and some players might make each button-press carry more damage, but you can switch them up to lessen the cool-down on the super moves or regenerate health.

This provides a bit more of a tactical experience as players can play to their own style, but doing the same three combos again and again for the first half of the game makes the player roll their eyes whenever a new wave storms into the room. I did get very good at them after hour four though.

So you kick those poor mutants right in the face then traipse off to a bar to meet a contact. You're simultaneously introduced to the world and environment traversal. While the combat takes cues from Batman, the climbing reeks of Uncharted. Some of the sections are quite fun, especially when the environments look so nice, but there's no real danger or urgency. Once you get the feel for the climbing it's mostly just a matter of finding out where to go next and pressing jump and move.

Remember Me's other strength is in the sections where you actually get to alter a person's memory. Considering how much of the rest of the game is clearly lifted from other popular games, I'm surprised they haven't put more of an emphasis on the thing it has over everyone else.
This seemed to be a fantastic new idea with tons of potential. It still is, but the mechanic is clearly more limited than was first implied. There is really only one way to complete the scenario and it comes down to trying the different elements in different orders. A bit of choice wouldn't have gone amiss, but I understand that to give players multiple solutions at these points would increase the work for the development team ten-fold. Sadly, considering these were the most original sections, there were only two of these situations in the first five hours of my playthrough.

All in all, not too encouraging for my tastes. It's a shame to see lower budget devs aping safe AAA design, especially when the budget on trying to play with the big boys could be make or break for a new company. Still, I feel more inclined to be generous to this game because it's a new IP from a new dev, it's not ruining a previously superior IP (cough, Tomb Raider), the combat has the potential to eventually get interesting, and the setting is unique.

Dipso

Neo Member
It was. No link to the actual review though, just the score.

I read the review before it got pulled, exceptionally high praise for the combat system. The only major gripe I recall is with the linear nature of the gameplay which the reviewer found particularly disappointing as the environment begs to be explored.

SJRB

Gold Member
New trailer

It's live-action, surprisingly enough. I like the narrator and I like the abstract theme they're going for in this trailer, but I hope [also for this game's sake] that this is not the final launch trailer.

BeberMan

Neo Member
Won't care about reviews(not that I have for the last few years).
This game looks super interesting to me and that was enough for me to pre-order it.
It's amazing how this console generation can't catch a break.

derFeef

New trailer

It's live-action, surprisingly enough. I like the narrator and I like the abstract theme they're going for in this trailer, but I hope [also for this game's sake] that this is not the final launch trailer.

Nice. I enjoy live-action stuff as long as it's not there to reveal the game.

dreamfall

Between the soundtrack, the journal and this Live Action bit. I've been pretty impressed with how they're setting up the narrative.

I want it to be good!

New trailer

Pretty neat actually. Not sure why they went with a white actress (unless it's just the lighting), but whatever.

Momentary

Banned
I don't know if it's a glitch or not, but I don't see this game anywhere on the top 100 sales for Steam. Usually, even low profile releases break the top 20 in pre-purchases.

haikira

Just pre-ordered from GMG. I'm in Europe, so i'll be jumping in three days after you guys, unless i can be bothered using a VPN.

Definitely looking forward to this one. Worst case, it'll kill the time until The Last of Us. But hopefully it'll be a memorable game.
har har

ironcreed

Banned
I would love to know the length and replay value. This game looks like it may be greater than the sum of it's parts and has a vibe that really makes it stand out. But at the same time, I don't want to drop $60.00 on something that is only around 6-8 hours, with little incentive to go back to it. I would be really tempted if it was at least 12 hours or so.

My copy has shipped and due to arrive Monday! I'll be sure to post some impressions. Might even stream it on my youtube channel.

Grisby

Does anyone know what the quality of that preorder comic is supposed to be? Thinking about going in tomorrow to preorder it from GS.

From what i understand, Capcom sends games out to die regularly? What the hell.

Think i'm going to bite on the PC version, using the 20% off at GMG. Had my eye on this, since they first showed it. Was thinking of playing it safe and waiting on reviews, but i may be adventurous and grab it now.

Does that mean you're so hyped, you couldn't possibly lose any of that hype? Or does it mean you're so uninterested, you couldn't go any lower? I don't understand your hype level. =P

I am very hyped and am riding the hype train.

no discounts available for PC right? Eg doesnt seem like a greenman code works.

edit

oh GMG20-JLKSA-7A8HA worked

Nice bought for $40

Sanctuary

I need reviews & opinions on the port. I'm not exactly rich these days. :/

After a 18 out of 20 (9/10) score from a French magazine, Remember Me has received it’s second review from german magazine PSM3 wich gave the game an overall score of 8 out of 10. they also gave Graphics 8, Sound 8 and Controls a 7 score. PSM3 magazine praised the game by saying “Elaborately created Action Sci Fi that feels more like visiting a cinema than a video game”. below you can see a snapshot of the score with extra details (in german language)

I don't know if this is supposed to mean that the production values and world are just that slick, or if it means it's yet another press a button to watch, instead of play "game".

RS4-

Played uhh, maybe 30-45 mins on PS3. Visually and design wise, it's really nice. Curious to see how the PC version looks; and I can only imagine how this would look on next gen as well.

Platforming is a little eh. Hand to hand, I can't really comment on as I've only unlocked two combos and one extra attack. I'm not quite sure if there is a win button per se, like the Batman and AC counter/parry.

I don't know what penalty there is if you mash the combos compared to timing them. I'll assume that you do more damage if they're timed generally well. I haven't played Batman/AC in quite some time, so I can't compare how fluid Nilin is compared to the two mentioned games.

Roubjon

I might pick this up depending on what the reviews say is good about it. I'm not expecting a masterpiece in the slightest, but the setting and some of the previews I've seen seem interesting enough. I haven't had anything new to play on PS3 since Metal Gear Rising, so it would be cool if this comes out to be alright.

Top Bottom