• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lamonster said:
The skull is called "haunted" and only available to the top rank and I think you must have purchased all the other helmets first. It's a variation of the Pilot helmet and costs 1cR.

It could be available sooner in some kind of Halloween special later this month, who knows.

You will never be able to have the blue flames, though. That's the Bungie-only effect this time around.
Interesting, I don't know why anyone would want that though, or anything with flames. Looks really goofy.

LunaticPuma said:
I still can't believe people actually spend credits on armor effects. Even worse, I can't believe Bungie put them into MP like that...
I think the pestilence and electricity ones could be cool but they'll take me 100 years to get, and the hearts and the birthday party are too silly for me.

Hey You

The Lamonster said:
The skull is called "haunted" and only available to the top rank and I think you must have purchased all the other helmets first. It's a variation of the Pilot helmet and costs 1cR.

It could be available sooner in some kind of Halloween special later this month, who knows.

You will never be able to have the blue flames, though. That's the Bungie-only effect this time around.
Guess I'll work my way to some other helmet then.

Edit :p

Sikamikanico said:
Anyone ever play Bulldogs at school when they were younger?
Yes. So I'm guessing its a Infection Variant?

The Lamonster said:
The challenges were great yesterday and today too. I'm glad they're rewarding more credits now. Hopefully the average number of credits rewarded slowly increases as the players mature in rank.
I was hoping this would happen also. The grind will be rough once millions of points are required between level ups.

Wizman23

Banned
I wonder if the recent announcement of Gears 3 having dedicated servers will change Bungie's stance on that issue in future games. I always thought Bungie's excuse was that dedicated servers were impossible because too many people play Halo. Gears may not be as big as Halo, but its in the ballpark. If Epic can do it, Bungie can do it.

Wizman23 said:
I wonder if the recent announcement of Gears 3 having dedicated servers will change Bungie's stance on that issue in future games. I always thought Bungie's excuse was that dedicated servers were impossible because too many people play Halo. Gears may not be as big as Halo, but its in the ballpark. If Epic can do it, Bungie can do it.
It's probably more of a question about what 343 Industries will do, and because 343 hasn't developed any games yet, they will probably go the safe route and make it pretty similar to past Halo iterations in terms of matchmaking.

Bungie's next game will probably be way different and could even be an MMO.

The Lamonster said:
And I thought my play time was limited from just having a girlfriend!

Can you explain the gametype? I've never played Bulldogs at school.

It's a British thing more than anywhere else, but these are the rules:

Rules:

The bulldogs (or infected) spawn in the middle of the playground. All remaining players stand at one end of the area (home). The aim of the game is to run from one end of the field of play to the other, without being caught by the bulldogs. When a player is caught, they become a bulldog themselves. The last man standing will be awarded 10 points. All other points are awarded as normal.

Each game of bulldogs consists of four rounds. The players will spawn with Evade, a plasma pistol and normal speed. The bulldogs will spawn with Sprint and 120% speed. Players are invulnerable within the haven, which will last for 15 seconds from the moment the first player enters it. A round will end when all players have become bulldogs.

Hearing players screaming with triumph (or terror) as they just make it over the safe line is awesome. Best played with 10 players or more, I'd love to hear some feedback on it.

It plays more like a sport than infection. Give it a try. (it's in my fileshare, my GT is the same as my username) The playground to play it on is linked to it.

Woah, im dissapointed that people are crying out for DLC already - dont let them hear that because they will milk us of all our cash. :lol

As for DLC, im not sure just 3 maps will cut it, they will probably throw in some Firefight maps which will bump up the price. Im personally not happy about that, because for me Firefight isnt something I play all that often. Obviously some maps promote different styles of play, but generally firefight feels the same on most maps, I think theres enough variety in the current offerings that I wouldnt want to buy anymore maps. I really hope that DLC for Firefight and VS multiplayer is split so I can buy one without the other.

I really hope Reach has a better DLC plan than Halo 3 did anyway.

Also I would love a campaign expansion as DLC, no idea how that could work, but I would love seeing the battle of Reach from another angle/ seeing what happened to Jun and Halsey/ seeing the action from Red teams perspective. :D

ChrisD84

Domino Theory said:
My Pistol stats: +752
My DMR stats: +75

Yeah, I don't get the DMR either.

Ah, so it's not just me then :D

zero margin said:
You are strafing yeah? Don't stand still or move backward/forward. Go sideways.

Yeah i strafe, but i do have a bad habit of sometimes strafing in only one direction, rather than side to side.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
People shouldn't even be concerned about buying expensive things they changed their mind about afterwards when it's only a few weeks into the game, come on now... :lol

And I'm digging the amount of credits today, so far I've done every single challenge...

Speaking of credits, I'm really feeling the effects of starting 11 days later than my friends now seeing as I have at least 5 friends that are Lt. Colonel, some Grade 2 and 3 even, while I'm a lowly Captain Grade 2 and knowing I should definitely have been up there as a Lt. Colonel Grade 3 by now and still earning creds...

At least I know I play better than those with much higher ranks than me, but still - I guess this is the reason why Bungie put the artificial cap on ranks.

Anyone got some tips for doing the solo campaign on legendary?

I am having a brutal time even on the first mission. I'm probably a low-level "average" player but I can't even get by one of the first encounters (helping out the marines by the river and fending off the troops from the drop ship).

I'm not a terrible player and run close to a 1:1 KDR (this match excluded!:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=89950965&player=SEN0R MachoSolo

...but I feel like I'm not playing it correctly. Any suggestions?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
PalaceBrother said:

I am having a brutal time even on the first mission. I'm probably a low-level "average" player but I can't even get by one of the first encounters (helping out the marines by the river and fending off the troops from the drop ship).

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=89950965&player=SEN0R MachoSolo

Headshots, Plasma Pistol, Patience.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
PalaceBrother said:

From Normal to Legendary is quite the jump actually - hmmm.

Well, remember that the enemies are more accurate to the point that they're auto-aiming at your head, so stay in cover a whole lot more than you're used to, always go for headshots, try to stick to precision weapons for those headshots, Needle Rifle is the anti-unshielded enemy gun especially to Brutes (three shots anywhere is a needle explosion kill), Plasma Pistol Overcharge x 2 + Headshot is the anti-Elite solution, and don't rely on your friendly AI anymore, it's all you now.

That's the basics right there, you'll get the feel as you go along with those starters...

Neuromancer said:
Interesting, I don't know why anyone would want that though, or anything with flames. Looks really goofy.

Surely the flaming varient IS the Bungie exclusive one? Much like flaming Recon was in Halo 3 but Recon itself wasn't completely exclusive before they let everyone have access to it with ODST.

Personally I'm saving for the Hearts shield effect after that I'm not too bothered, although the Gold visor is kinda nice. I still want Jorge's orange visor colour though, I'd save up for that for sure.

KevinRo

Skilotonn said:

Well, remember that the enemies are more accurate to the point that they're auto-aiming at your head, so stay in cover a whole lot more than you're used to, always go for headshots, try to stick to precision weapons for those headshots, Needle Rifle is the anti-unshielded enemy gun especially to Brutes (three shots anywhere is a needle explosion kill), Plasma Pistol Overcharge x 2 + Headshot is the anti-Elite solution, and don't rely on your friendly AI anymore, it's all you now.

That's the basics right there, you'll get the feel as you go along with those starters...

I would suggest not using the Plasma Pistol charge for Reach. Past games it would make sense but for Reach just shoot it like a regular pistol, it's pretty deadly in this game.

KORPAH

Neo Member
Today's daily challenges are way too easy. 2 games of score attack and 1 game of matchmaking and I got them all done. Booooring.

Skilotonn said:

Good suggestions, thanks. I think I have a habit of getting antsy with the cover and exposing myself too much.

Also-I thought that the PP overcharge took down their shields in one shot, not two!

randomlyrossy said:
Surely the flaming varient IS the Bungie exclusive one? Much like flaming Recon was in Halo 3 but Recon itself wasn't completely exclusive before they let everyone have access to it with ODST.

Personally I'm saving for the Hearts shield effect after that I'm not too bothered, although the Gold visor is kinda nice. I still want Jorge's orange visor colour though, I'd save up for that for sure.
No, if you bought the Legendary edition, you get the standard (non-blue) flames. Cool for messing around in customs, goofy bullseye when in Matchmaking.

Does anyone know if a Bungie Pro subscription counts as part of the Thank You deal on XBLM? They say pretty much any "game add-on content" is eligible, but I'm not sure what Bungie Pro counts as.

(http://www.xbox.com/en-US/press/2010/0930-thankyougift.htm for info)

Any help would be appreciated! Also one last Pro question - the render minutes you're given each month expire a month/on the month when you buy Pro, right? IE, if I got it today, my 5 minutes would expire November 7?

witness

Wow all challenges done already, finished up the weekly one to. Great challenges, got me just a ton of points and I hit my first gold commendation! :D

Is there a breakdown of which armor you unlock and the cost of the item by rank? I keep trying to find something but each chart I find is always missing some info.

bobs99 ... said:
Woah, im dissapointed that people are crying out for DLC already - dont let them hear that because they will milk us of all our cash. :lol
Well Bungie needs to put out some Forge World maps at the least, followed by some actual DLC. The amount of maps in the game is extremely disappointing and the lack of made for multiplayer maps (that aren't remakes) is really, really lacking. Having only 2 maps for Invasion, when it has it's own playlist, is just wrong ad again disappointing.

Reach is an awesome playing game, but it needs more multiplayer maps, especially for the larger player count gametypes.

Louis Wu

Shake Appeal said:
Yup, it's been 23 days since my online dude updated.
Hey, be happy you HAVE an online dude.

My online dude has NEVER updated - in fact, simply doesn't exist. The image won't load - period. (Sounds like Diablohead is in the same boat.)

Hugbot

Darkshier said:
Well Bungie needs to put out some Forge World maps at the least, followed by some actual DLC. The amount of maps in the game is extremely disappointing and the lack of made for multiplayer maps (that aren't remakes) is really, really lacking. Having only 2 maps for Invasion, when it has it's own playlist, is just wrong ad again disappointing.

Reach is an awesome playing game, but it needs more multiplayer maps, especially for the larger player count gametypes.
Yeah, the splitting of multiplayer into three different "classes" of maps combined with the scaling back of forge on non-forgeworld maps and the limited palette on FW itself has made this the first Halo that I think really needs a map pack as soon as possible. H2/3 map packs were great and added a ton of variety, but they had "enough" out of the box.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
KevinRo said:
I would suggest not using the Plasma Pistol charge for Reach. Past games it would make sense but for Reach just shoot it like a regular pistol, it's pretty deadly in this game.

Nope, it takes down Elites pretty well on Legendary, two blasts and a headshot and an Elite is done for - they're pretty nimble otherwise, and take cover and recover too fast in a big crowd making it a waste to fight them any other way.

I only use it against Elites BTW, oh and for taking down Banshees/Wraiths to jack them.

PalaceBrother said:
Good suggestions, thanks. I think I have a habit of getting antsy with the cover and exposing myself too much.

Also-I thought that the PP overcharge took down their shields in one shot, not two!

Yup, in every mode including online yes, but some of the higher-classed Elites require 2 shots - can't remember if regular Blue Elites only need one shot, but I can't remember fighting too many of them on Legendary.

oddworld18 said:
Does anyone know if a Bungie Pro subscription counts as part of the Thank You deal on XBLM? They say pretty much any "game add-on content" is eligible, but I'm not sure what Bungie Pro counts as.

(http://www.xbox.com/en-US/press/2010/0930-thankyougift.htm for info)

Any help would be appreciated! Also one last Pro question - the render minutes you're given each month expire a month/on the month when you buy Pro, right? IE, if I got it today, my 5 minutes would expire November 7?

Brilliant thinking! I was already making up my list of things to purchase, and totally forgot about Bungie Pro - as mentioned, you're spending MS points so it should count as well, but don't quote me on that.

shuri

Banned
i wsih there was a way to play straight up slayer. It's my favorite mode, my playtime is limited, and its just fucking lame to play that zombie mode for the 3th time in a row.

Bungie should just make a slayer playlist.

J-Roderton

Sweet my dude finally updated.

mae6aa.png

shuri said:
i wsih there was a way to play straight up slayer. It's my favorite mode, my playtime is limited, and its just fucking lame to play that zombie mode for the 3th time in a row.

Bungie should just make a slayer playlist.

Team Slayer, or the Arena? Or do you just want an FFA slayer playlist?

Safe Bet

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Yup. Welcome to the age of persistent stat tracking. I really do wonder how long the pure objective playlist will hang around with so many people treating it as a scrimmage for upping their K/D ratio.
It's a simple fix...

Stop tracking K/D ratios for objective-based games except for immediate post-game results.

Continue to award medals for killing sprees and the like but simply do not track K/D ratios "longterm" for objective modes.

Also...

Up the cR reward for fulling objectives.

Safe Bet

Banned
KevinRo said:
I would suggest not using the Plasma Pistol charge for Reach.
This member is out of his goddamn mind...

Non-PP Play should be used only when attempting skill/style play.

It's the most powerful weapon in the game...

Edit:

DP?

am disappoint

:(

Sanjuro

I'm trying to get my security helmet back but it appears it doesn't show up when I reached the proper amount of credits. Is there any site with better info on how to obtain it? :'(

vhfive

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I'm trying to get my security helmet back but it appears it doesn't show up when I reached the proper amount of credits. Is there any site with better info on how to obtain it? :'(
at the current ranks you are not able to get security. I'm Lt. Colonel and I can't even see it so no one knows when it unlocks.

ElRenoRaven

*sigh*

Why is it when you actually want overlook it won't give it to you? WHY? WHY? WHY?

/crybaby mode off.

Man the challenges are nice today without a doubt. Notice how they feed into the weekly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom