• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
PsychoRaven said:
*sigh*

Why is it when you actually want overlook it won't give it to you? WHY? WHY? WHY?

/crybaby mode off.

Man the challenges are nice today without a doubt. Notice how they feed into the weekly?
Score attack brah, just keep vetoing until you get it. Only issue is it's hard to complete a round by yourself for the weekly challenge, well for me anyway.

PsychoRaven said:
Why is it when you actually want overlook it won't give it to you? WHY? WHY? WHY?
1. Enter Score Attack playlist.
2. Vote for None of the Above.
3. Repeat until you get Overlook.
4. ????
5. cR.

ElRenoRaven

Shake Appeal said:
1. Enter Score Attack playlist.
2. Vote for None of the Above.
3. Repeat until you get Overlook.
4. ????
5. cR.

Yea I could do that however I hate hate hate overlook on Score attack. This way I can do it without having to suffer with a large map and just myself on it.

You know, for however much I'm confused by Reach's story, I gotta say, the dialogue is much improved over Halo 3 and ODST.

Probably my favorite exchange (spoiler just in case):
Carter: You want to know if we're losing?
Kat: I know we're losing; I want to know if we have lost.

In every level, especially past LNoS, I think of that quote.

Some other memorable exchanges:
Carter: Listen up, Noble Team. We're looking at a downed relay outpost, fifty klicks from Visegrad. We're going to introduce ourselves to whoever took it out, then Kat's going to get it back online.
Kat: Just get me under the hood, Commander.
Jorge: Sir, why would rebels want to cut off Reach from the rest of the colonies?
Carter: You get a chance, maybe you can ask them, Jorge.
Kat: Commander, we just lost our signal to HQ.
Carter: Backup channels?
Kat: Searching...nada. Can't say what's jamming us.
Carter: You heard her. Dead zone confirmed. Command will not be keeping us company this trip.
Emile: I'm lonely already.

Kat: That thing's crushing us, and we're waiting for backup? They'll be backing up a graveyard.
Carter: All our nukes are either out-system or went down with the ships that carried them. You're preaching to the converted.
Kat: How converted?
Carter: I know that look, Kat.
Kat: You can say no.
Carter: No.
Kat: You don't even want to hear it?
Carter: ...Fine. I'll hear it.
Kat: Remember that accident a couple years back? Colony ship en route to Cygnus . Seven hundred dead?
Carter: Vaguely. A slip-space drive malfunction, right?
Kat: Actually, it worked fine. The drive was mounted improperly after a service haul-out. When it fired it teleported half the ship to oblivion.
Carter: And this is relevant...how?
Kat: A certain Covenant Supercarrier could, with some assistance, suffer the same unfortunate accident...
Carter: Even for you, Kat, that's–
Kat: Inspired?
Carter: Not the word I would use.

Hixx

PsychoRaven said:
Yea I could do that however I hate hate hate overlook on Score attack. This way I can do it without having to suffer with a large map and just myself on it.

It's probably the easiest FF map. Sit on top of the building you spawn in, only one way up. So easy to survive and rack up the points with multikills on the stairs as a choke point :D

DMeisterJ

Banned
Today's challenges were quick and dirty. Got 5k points in about 30 minutes of playtime, and another 2500 waiting for me once I amass 43 more kills. 55k to Captain!

Hugbot

HixxSAFC said:
It's probably the easiest FF map. Sit on top of the building you spawn in, only one way up. So easy to survive and rack up the points with multikills on the stairs as a choke point :D
It's definitely an easy one, but I'm not sure about easiest. With the cliff to your back you are pretty well covered, but there are a few similar spots on other maps too.

Courtyard is pretty easy if you cross over to the side opposite the ammo/respawn. Half the map funnels up a walkway you have easy sight of and you can use the ledge as cover to snipe the other half.

Corvette is super easy in Gruntpocalypse, the ledges are right there and the ammo run is well covered and short. In other modes just get on the highest ledge you can depending on where the enemy is coming out (the 3-story ledge if dropships are in use, the ones outside spawn if not) and it's cake.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Final rank as in years of playing? Let me know asap @ gamestop now.
Final rank as in he doesn't know, maybe we'll find out when the cap gets lifted.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind having no Radar in Score Attack? It's a big part of the reason I don't touch it as much when going for Firefight challenges. It seems unnecessary to take it away, you need it far more there than in regular Firefight with four people.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:
You know, for however much I'm confused by Reach's story, I gotta say, the dialogue is much improved over Halo 3 and ODST.

In every level, especially past LNoS, I think of that quote.

Some other memorable exchanges:
Carter: Listen up, Noble Team. We're looking at a downed relay outpost, fifty klicks from Visegrad. We're going to introduce ourselves to whoever took it out, then Kat's going to get it back online.
Kat: Just get me under the hood, Commander.
Jorge: Sir, why would rebels want to cut off Reach from the rest of the colonies?
Carter: You get a chance, maybe you can ask them, Jorge.
Kat: Commander, we just lost our signal to HQ.
Carter: Backup channels?
Kat: Searching...nada. Can't say what's jamming us.
Carter: You heard her. Dead zone confirmed. Command will not be keeping us company this trip.
Emile: I'm lonely already.

Kat: That thing's crushing us, and we're waiting for backup? They'll be backing up a graveyard.
Carter: All our nukes are either out-system or went down with the ships that carried them. You're preaching to the converted.
Kat: How converted?
Carter: I know that look, Kat.
Kat: You can say no.
Carter: No.
Kat: You don't even want to hear it?
Carter: ...Fine. I'll hear it.
Kat: Remember that accident a couple years back? Colony ship en route to Cygnus . Seven hundred dead?
Carter: Vaguely. A slip-space drive malfunction, right?
Kat: Actually, it worked fine. The drive was mounted improperly after a service haul-out. When it fired it teleported half the ship to oblivion.
Carter: And this is relevant...how?
Kat: A certain Covenant Supercarrier could, with some assistance, suffer the same unfortunate accident...
Carter: Even for you, Kat, that's–
Kat: Inspired?
Carter: Not the word I would use.
My favorite part of that last exchange is when Carter says
"oh there's no way in hell he'll go for this"

And then it cuts to the next level. :lol I was lol'ing so hard at that.

Raide

HaloGAF, got a question for you. What makes a game of CTF so good?

If you have any examples of CTF maps or designs you think are perfect, let me know. I am working on a new map and its a CTF map and I want to get your thoughts on CTF.

Striker

Glowingmonx said:
The Cage really needs a spawn fix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBTkMsQ3qmY
Yeah, it's quite known the spawns on The Cage suck donkey balls for Multi-team. I didn't enjoy the spawns most recently when it was even 1-CTF 4v4. There seems to be a limitation in where you can spawn if the enemies are not carrying your flag. Either in the base, or at the man-cannon. A team can lock down if they're cooperating and really turn the sides.

PsychoRaven said:
Sniper Attack, good sir. Infinite Ammo, and grabbing a Focus Rifle is a godsend with the Skirmisher wave. Pretty easy to finish all the enemies off, especially if you use the Drop Shield.

Dax01 said:
Yes. That's the quote that defines the game for me. Pitch perfect.

I also have a soft spot for the whole
Halsey/Noble Team exchange when you first arrive at Sword Base. Oddly enough, especially Kat's body language when Halsey calls her out for accessing the data pad. And of course Carter's reading suggestion ;p

Gui_PT

Horns said:
Would be cool if you could sell back items for half the credits. But who am I kidding, the armor upgrades are a very addicting part of the game. It's one of the reasons I keep playing later then I should every night.

It could be like an Armory Market. Buy, sell, trade.

Shake Appeal said:
Commando helmet is all I have wanted since the second I laid eyes on it. I am going to buy the Armor Effects last, when there is nothing else to spend the cash on.

Cutscenes where you're next to Carter are going to look weird, but his gear is just way too cool not to buy.

Edit:

Glowingmonx said:
The Cage really needs a spawn fix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBTkMsQ3qmY

"TJ Trasher, way to choke on the spawn kill" at 3:15 =P

Goddamn, edited this post like 5 times

Doodis

Skilotonn said:
From Normal to Legendary is quite the jump actually - hmmm.

Well, remember that the enemies are more accurate to the point that they're auto-aiming at your head, so stay in cover a whole lot more than you're used to, always go for headshots, try to stick to precision weapons for those headshots, Needle Rifle is the anti-unshielded enemy gun especially to Brutes (three shots anywhere is a needle explosion kill), Plasma Pistol Overcharge x 2 + Headshot is the anti-Elite solution, and don't rely on your friendly AI anymore, it's all you now.

That's the basics right there, you'll get the feel as you go along with those starters...
Tell that to Kat and random marine on ONI Sword Base. Just finished that on legendary last night and it was pretty dang frustrating. Not to mention I was having a one-sided conversation with the game. "No, no, get out of the turret and let me shoot. Wait, wait, you're driving all wrong, give me the wheel!"

NullPointer said:
Yeah, I'll have to say that about the quote to. It really does define the game.

Halsey/Noble Team exchange when you first arrive at Sword Base. Oddly enough, especially Kat's body language when Halsey calls her out for accessing the data pad. And of course Carter's reading suggestion ;p
I enjoyed all the exchanges with
Halsey and Noble Team. I played The Package earlier this morning, I'm still thinking of some parts between Carter and Halsey on that level:
Carter: Dr. Halsey, casualty reports have you listed as–
Halsey: Yes, well as they say, news of my death has been greatly exaggerated. I only wish the same could be said for the rest of Noble Team.
Carter: We all do, Ma'am.

For that last line, it's why Carter delivers it is why I enjoy it so much.

And later...

Carter: Have your data ready, Ma'am. We're coming to you.
Halsey: The decrypting process is still underway.
Carter: I don't think you understand: We're out of time. If it isn't portable when we reach you, it's gonna get buried.
Hasley: Bury any of it, and you bury Mankind's best chance for survival! Commander, you've been wondering what your Spartans died for...they died for this.

Carter and Halsey don't really like each other, and that's evident in their conversations. It's why I enjoy 'em.

Hugbot

Doodis said:
Tell that to Kat and random marine on ONI Sword Base. Just finished that on legendary last night and it was pretty dang frustrating. Not to mention I was having a one-sided conversation with the game. "No, no, get out of the turret and let me shoot. Wait, wait, you're driving all wrong, give me the wheel!"
During my legendary ONI run she fell off a cliff for half the level, so her tag was just way below the ground and I was running solo. It was actually a nice change of pace after trying to get her to mount the gun or drive or do anything competently.

Doodis said:
Jun was the most frustrating AI for me. I counted at least six times where I'd have an Elite in my sniper sights, and that stupid bastard would jump right in front of my shot and bitch about me shooting him.

By the way, any HaloGAF that remembers BezerkerBarage (RIP buddy) can find him in game as one of the Marines. Look for a soldier with the name L. Starline (Logan Starline has got to be one of the best real names ever), with the tag B.B. His widow had to sign a bunch of stuff with Bungie, but he's been immortalized forever in Reach. Awesome stuff.

Actually, to clarify...

I don't think Halsey dislikes the Carter personally, she just dislikes the idea of him. When she sees Carter and the other Spartan IIIs, she's seeing the product of her work – work that was stolen from her. She sees lives that have been shaped by her work without her knowledge, and she's angry, frustrated because of it. By this point, she's regret what she did to the Spartans IIs – abducting them as children, etc.

Gui_PT

squidhands said:
Jun was the most frustrating AI for me. I counted at least six times where I'd have an Elite in my sniper sights, and that stupid bastard would jump right in front of my shot and bitch about me shooting him.

By the way, any HaloGAF that remembers BezerkerBarage (RIP buddy) can find him in game as one of the Marines. Look for a soldier with the name L. Starline (Logan Starline has got to be one of the best real names ever), with the tag B.B. His widow had to sign a bunch of stuff with Bungie, but he's been immortalized forever in Reach. Awesome stuff.

That is just awesome. You know which level?

squidhands said:

Wow, that's way cool!

RIP B.B

randomlyrossy said:
Does anyone know the reasoning behind having no Radar in Score Attack? It's a big part of the reason I don't touch it as much when going for Firefight challenges. It seems unnecessary to take it away, you need it far more there than in regular Firefight with four people.
You're right, it's pretty assy.

NullPointer said:

Yep so many good dialogues and cutscenes, I don't get all the people complaining about the story and the characters.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Doodis said:

Ha - I let either her or one of the AI drive ONCE just to see for myself if the complaints were through, and sure enough we went barreling headfirst into a flock of trouble - been behind the wheel ever since...:lol

squidhands said:

I remember him, and I'm sure I've had that soldier in my team as well.

Very cool of Bungie to do that.

Raide

electricpirate said:
That's not even really a problem with the spawns, more of an issue with, "OMG who the fuck puts 12 people in a game on the cage"

As soon as I saw the team lists, I thought the same thing. Cage is just not designed for that many people. Hell, even more than 4 players and it feels tight.

Neuromancer said:
Yep so many good dialogues and cutscenes, I don't get all the people complaining about the story and the characters.
I think you'd get where they were coming from if this was your first Halo game.

The only reason I could enjoy some of the dialogue and story tidbits was from reading up on all the extended fiction.

NullPointer said:
I think you'd get where they were coming from if this was your first Halo game.

The only reason I could enjoy some of the dialogue and story tidbits was from reading up on all the extended fiction.
Perhaps, perhaps...I'm not the worlds biggest Halo fan either and don't know much about the fiction; I just find that the stories in ODST and Reach were overall less confusing and less silly than the others. And Reach has the benefit of MUCH improved faces which really helps in the cutscenes.

Veelk

Banned
I said it before, and I'll say it again: Halo: Reach is not about Noble Team. It's about Reach, seeing the planet die, seeing humanity struggle to the very end. Which is why the 'bad' plot and characters (who are canonically not suppose to be deep anyway) don't bother me. They weren't the focus. The focus was humanity in it's darkest, most desperate hour. Bungie portrayed that very well.

Ecotic

Phew! I just finished replaying Legendary with all the difficult skulls on except for the 'you die, you restart' and 'no recharging shields except for meleeing enemies' skulls. That was so difficult, but so much more satisfying than ordinary legendary. Elites were so invincible I was having to assassinate so many just to avoid fighting them.

Ecotic said:
Phew! I just finished replaying Legendary with all the difficult skulls on except for the 'you die, you restart' and 'no recharging shields except for meleeing enemies' skulls. That was so difficult, but so much more satisfying than ordinary legendary. Elites were so invincible I was having to assassinate so many just to avoid fighting them.
Come over to my house and beat Legendary solo for me please, just tell me what kind of beer you like

Jb

Generic said:
I said it before, and I'll say it again: Halo: Reach is not about Noble Team. It's about Reach, seeing the planet die, seeing humanity struggle to the very end. Which is why the 'bad' plot and characters (who are canonically not suppose to be deep anyway) don't bother me. They weren't the focus. The focus was humanity in it's darkest, most desperate hour. Bungie portrayed that very well.
See that's probably my biggest issue with the campaign story wise. Having only played the main entries in the franchise, I knew next to nothing about Reach. Couldn't they have spent a little more time explaining to the player what this planet was and what made it so important?
I also never felt any form of desperation or tragedy, even at the very end, probably because the characters were so "stiff".
I think Bungie still has a lot to learn as far as storytelling goes. Because while Reach was nowhere near the mess 3 was, it never managed to make me care about what was going on.

Hugbot

neoism said:
spire=worst map Bungie has ever made
I keep seeing these awesome clips with vehicles and all manner of shit going down all over the map and it looks way rad, then I join Invasion and half the other team quits on map load and we barely see any combat on it. I haven't ever had it get played in BTB either.

Popeck

After deep consideration, I've come to the conclusion that Cage sucks. I think it's way too easy to lockdown the upper portition of the map and keep the other team spawning into "downhill".

Sigh...Boardwalk is so bad. Slayer DMRs and the final kill count for the winning team is 36. :| Pure DMR/Snipe fest. So boring.

But I go 20-3 on Reflection (Normal Slayer) one match later so I feel better now.:D

Just completed the dailies still haven't gotten my updated Spartan...is there a trick to it or do I just have to wait for the server to get around to my account?

Also anyone wanna grind FF to hell and back in like a few hours? I'm planning on getting at least half or more of the weekly challenge done tonight (EST), right now sleep though.

Tadale

The two maps I always groan at are Pinnacle and Cage, for different reasons. Pinnacle/Ascension has aways favored the blue spawn, and no matter which spawn you are given it always degrades to a sniper battle with some cross-map crouch shooting with the occasional messy panic rush to rockets/sniper/shotgun at 3 minute intervals.

Cage has no flow-- there are too many dead ends and areas with only one or two escape options and very little cover, and what little cover there is usually locks you down into a grenade trap. Combined with the poor spawning on the map, it can be very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom