• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gui_PT

SuperBonk said:
Uhh, they quite clearly are.

The cage might be sliiiiiiightly related because it has some lockout geometry, and there's a big open area at the center but other than that I don't think they are.

Zealot and Midship are purple. That's all they have in common.

Gui_PT said:
The cage might be sliiiiiiightly related because it has some lockout geometry, and there's a big open area at the center but other than that I don't think they are.

Tashi0106 said:
What do they have to do with Midship and Lockout?
Bungie has said those Halo 2 maps were the inspirations for these Reach maps.

I'm too lazy to cite that statement, though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
SuperBonk said:
It's actually the opposite for me. Pinnacle is one of the few maps I actually like in Reach and I thought it was pretty middle of the road in Halo 2. It just makes me realize how good Halo 2's maps actually were.

Zealot and The Cage are downright terrible, especially since Midship and Lockout were two of my favorites.

SuperBonk

Gui_PT said:

They're not near carbon copies like Blackout or Assembly, but I think their design is fairly similar. Either way, they just make me want to play Lockout and Midship.

rObit

Banned
I like Zealot except for the low grav area up top. It was a cool idea, but doesn't work at all in terms of gameplay. The rest of the map I love. Come to think of it though, I think I've only played it on SWAT, so that may be tainting my view. Not sure how it would play regularly.

NullPointer said:
It'd be fucking awesome if that's where they parked the pilotable sabers.

But I guess that's just too much awesome to ask for ;p

:lol :lol Agreed

Delightful Oonsk said:
I like Zealot except for the low grav area up top. It was a cool idea, but doesn't work at all in terms of gameplay. The rest of the map I love. Come to think of it though, I think I've only played it on SWAT, so that may be tainting my view. Not sure how it would play regularly.
It'd be fucking awesome if that's where they parked the pilotable sabers.

But I guess that's just too much awesome to ask for ;p

SuperBonk said:
It's actually the opposite for me. Pinnacle is one of the few maps I actually like in Reach and I thought it was pretty middle of the road in Halo 2. It just makes me realize how good Halo 2's maps actually were.

Zealot and The Cage are downright terrible, especially since Midship and Lockout were two of my favorites.

I'm with you too - I love Pinnacle. Pinnacle and Powerhouse are my favorite maps by far, and Zealot and The Cage can suck a varied number of unpleasant things.

zumphry

Banned
squidhands said:
By the way, any HaloGAF that remembers BezerkerBarage (RIP buddy) can find him in game as one of the Marines. Look for a soldier with the name L. Starline (Logan Starline has got to be one of the best real names ever), with the tag B.B. His widow had to sign a bunch of stuff with Bungie, but he's been immortalized forever in Reach. Awesome stuff.

That's very awesome for Bungie to do. He was very involved with the Bungie/Halo community, so for Bungie to put him into their last Halo game is awesome and a great way for him to be immortalized.

RIP, ~B.B

Kuroyume said:
Security unlocks at the final rank.

NOGODNO.gif

Sill4

Falagard said:
Holy shit that's incredible. I was pretty heartbroken when I heard he died so unexpectedly, even if I didn't know him, I of course had read plenty of his posts on GAF.

I had no idea that he had passed on, very cool of Bungie. They did something similar years ago for an hbo forum member.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
neoism said:
spire=worst map Bungie has ever made

Disagree. I love Big Team slayer on Spire. Jetpacking down to try and jack a Banshee or Falcon is awesome. Even just jumping off the top onto an unsuspecting player is great.

Anyone else think Invasion Slayer is the bestest new game type? I can't get enough. We just need more maps to play on.

Headhunter is second place for me. Soo much fun, but so absolutely chaotic. Also needs less Hemorrhage.

zlatko

Banned
I'll chime in to say that Powerhouse is a great map. I can find enjoyment in others as well, but the ones I 100% hate are Zealot and cage.

If I never had to play on those maps again I'd die a happy man. :D

Striker

electricpirate said:
Striker's hard on for Halo 2 multiplayer knows no bounds!

IMO, it plays better on reach since the midrange weapon is far more reliable at long range, the sniper isn't so... silly, and jetpacks/sprint make traversing it a lot more enjoyable.

Hemorage though... just.. bleh. I played 1 flag pro on hemorage last night in team objective, that was the. worst. gametype. I have ever played. Holy shit, just mongooses, drive over, get sniped, kill their sniper, 3 DMR's ping you. Just so goddamn boring.
Because Halo 2 had the best MP maps of the series, I obviously must be sub-standardizing everything else.

Go play Halo 3 and play 4v4 Valhalla 1-flag. I'll save you the trouble and just let you know, it's garbage. Shocking, right. A 4v4 mode set on a large open map where it's 1-flag isn't that fun to play. Spread the news!

Dax01 said:
You seem to be rehashing this same point whenever someone logs a criticism of a remake; as if it negates it somehow. To tell you the truth, it doesn't. A bad map is a bad map regardless of where it comes from or what it originally was. As they stand, Pinnacle and Hemorrhage are bad maps and, I think, woefully unfit for Reach's gameplay designs. I even have a bigger problem with Pinnacle when it's DMR starts: no matter where you spawn, you start getting pecked by bullets.
A bad map is something you'll often find in Halo 3, you know, like Orbital, Isolation, Sandtrap, Blackout, Cold Storage, Construct, Epitaph, Foundry, and in case of its horrid spawns, Narrows. Ascension, meanwhile, isn't a great map by any means, but if you mixed it in with Halo 2's groupings, it's in the lower tier. I much rather have had a Beaver Creek redux than Ascension, but it still adds something for Slayer and Objectives. How many other small, asymmetrical maps can do that?

It doesn't need a DMR start, but in Halo 2 it did need a BR start. The Pistol, AR, and the AA's bring a better balance than what we had for the SMG in Halo 2 and the AR in Halo 3.

Hemorrhage is fine with the Scorpion removed. What makes it awful sans the Scorpion, if you don't mind me asking?

Doodis

LukeSmith said:
Their ratings were higher when they quit, but they were filed at the bottom of the pool when the game results were uploaded to Trueskill.

If you quit an Arena game you finish last in that game, period. Guys who quit to "preserve their day rating" have a date with Iron.
Lukems restores my faith in Bungie with his truthiness. Thank you, good sir.

Is it too much to ask what kind of a score they get? For instance, do they end up with a 0, or is there some formula that determines some points for them?

GhaleonEB

Doodis said:
Lukems restores my faith in Bungie with his truthiness. Thank you, good sir.

Is it too much to ask what kind of a score they get? For instance, do they end up with a 0, or is there some formula that determines some points for them?
The score is separate from their division placement. You can have a great game score against players of your (True Skill-determined) peers in Iron Division; the same score means something different in Onyx. So these guys think quitting with a high game score will help them move up Divisions, when really they keep it but get parked in Iron instead. Ooops!

At lesat, that's how I read Luke's post.

Magni

Tashi0106 said:

Zealot was inspired by Midship (like Guardian was inspired by Lockout), and The Cage is some sort of "proto-Lockout", ie, one of the initial versions of Lockout for Halo 2, until they realized it could be 10000x better and we got the final version of Lockout.

I don't understand why they brought the Cage back when they'd decided six years back that it was inferior to Lockout..

Veelk

Banned
Jay-B said:
See that's probably my biggest issue with the campaign story wise. Having only played the main entries in the franchise, I knew next to nothing about Reach. Couldn't they have spent a little more time explaining to the player what this planet was and what made it so important?
I also never felt any form of desperation or tragedy, even at the very end, probably because the characters were so "stiff".
I think Bungie still has a lot to learn as far as storytelling goes. Because while Reach was nowhere near the mess 3 was, it never managed to make me care about what was going on.
NullPointer said:
I couldnt agree more. Their games need to start with a nice opening cut-scene that sets the stage. Hopping across hills in a warthog and entering a room with Noble Team wasn't nearly the setup this game deserved.

Also, spartans are, well... spartan in their demeanor. To give us emotional impact and background there have to be more human characters that we can relate to, so we can see their reaction and get a real sense of any impact to any of the events in game.

I hope Bungie and 343 dedicate some quality time to this aspect of things in their next games.

I disagree. The Spartans were there to give us perspective and nothing more. We're not suppose to relate to them, especially not to them, Spartans, who are trained to bog down any emotion they may experience.

The story succeeds in giving you a complete feeling of desperation. Everywhere you go, you see the wake of the Covenant's destructive forces, in New Alexandria (the city) especially. Bodies litter the floor, Civillians are scared and helpless, you have trouble keeping marines alive due to their low health, the covenant is vicious in combat. All those things add up to paint a picture of how much humanity is fucked. But the best example is the plot overall. Think about how every time Noble Team accomplishes anything whatsoever, it's rendered completely meaningless by whatever the covenant does next.

Found Covenant on Reach? Don't worry, Noble Team is taking care of - oh shit, there is a whole invading army under that spire. Okay, Noble Team took it's shields down and the UNSC cruiser is firing a Mac round in i- Oh fuck, the Covenant Cruiser just glassed it. Okay, so you get on the Covenant Cruiser to take it out with a slip space bomb and you succeed at the cost of Jorge's life...now do that to the 500 cruisers that just arrived.

I don't understand the desperate need to have someone to relate to that everyone seems to feel. Noble 6 has no distinct personality so that the player can insert himself into him. You don't need someone to relate to, because YOU are there, fighting the Covenant, more vicious than ever before. It's you that keeps getting screwed over, your work rendered meaningless everytime you accomplish something. It's you that
Jorge sacrificed himself
for and it's you that the marines fight with in the face of insurmountable odds. It's you that walks through the city littered with bodies of civilians. If you didn't feel anything from being there, I doubt that you would have felt much just because the other fictional characters that were feeling fucked had something in common with you.

Doodis

GhaleonEB said:
The score is separate from their division placement. You can have a great game score against players of your (True Skill-determined) peers in Iron Division; the same score means something different in Onyx. So these guys think quitting with a high game score will help them move up Divisions, when really they keep it but get parked in Iron instead. Ooops!

At least, that's how I read Luke's post.
Ah, makes sense.

zlatko

Banned
I have a complaint about the game that really needs to be addressed.

The radar.

Too often in multiplayer it will say someone is on the same level as you, so you go outside the room you are in, but they are above you. Too often it says same level but are below you.

It just isn't getting it right a lot. This occur often on PowerHouse. I think it happens a lot when you are in the building that spawns the grenade launcher.

I hope Bungie can tweak this to work correctly.

Sai-kun

Banned
zlatko said:
I have a complaint about the game that really needs to be addressed.

The radar.

Too often in multiplayer it will say someone is on the same level as you, so you go outside the room you are in, but they are above you. Too often it says same level but are below you.

It just isn't getting it right a lot. This occur often on PowerHouse. I think it happens a lot when you are in the building that spawns the grenade launcher.

It's the stairs.

Apath

So what's being done about multi-team being SWAT - Random Objective - Rocket Race, vetoed to Elite Slayer - Random Objective - Rocket Race 90% of the time?

zlatko said:
Use the radar as an aid, not a guide. You can usually tell when the height is a little off anyways. It's worst on Countdown.

zlatko

Banned
Popeck said:
The best tweak would be to remove the height indicator and make more game modes use no radar.

Idk about that. More camping results from no radar. It's hard enough to win a game when it's 3vs4 because your team mate quit within the first minute, the other 2 guys aren't using headsets, but then no radar too would be a very crippling thing for me.

I just want it to work correctly that's all. :)

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Yooo, got a friend who really wants to purchase this gem of a game. Anyone got any trial codes or anything? He's not one to pay for gold and doesn't want to "waste" it without trying it.

Oh, and he borrowed the game from a friend. So he hasn't bought it himself yet!

Domino Theory said:
I love Invasion Slayer (when a Spartan). So easy to dong all over the Elites ane their shitty weapons. :D
"It's cool guys we are spartans vote for slayer." I have gotten very used to hearing this when in the invasion playlist. :lol

Spitz

I just finished the Campaign on Legendary it was tough but never unfair. It's the first Halo Game i finished on Legendary in Single Player. Now the Captain's Rank is the next goal it will take a little bit longer to get there than finish the Campaign on Legendary.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
divisionbyzorro said:
I friggin' hate Invasion Slayer :lol

Yeah, Invasion slayer is terrible.

Also, Hemmorage plays much better without the damn scorpion now.

It also seems like the sniper timer was elongated, but I'm not positive on that one. It's much more playable and CTF has actually been enjoyable.

Striker

EvaPlusMinus said:
Yooo, got a friend who really wants to purchase this gem of a game. Anyone got any trial codes or anything? He's not one to pay for gold and doesn't want to "waste" it without trying it.

Does he have an Xbox 360? If so he can get a new (alt) account and just play that way for a little while until it runs out.

MrBig

EvaPlusMinus said:

I think you can have up to three free 1 month accounts on your 360. All you have to do is sign up. If not there is a 2 day in the box if he buys new.

Domino Theory said:
I love Invasion Slayer (when a Spartan). So easy to dong all over the Elites ane their shitty weapons. :D
I dunno. One of the most fearful things you can experience in Invasion (and Invasion Slayer) is a literal wall of needles coming at you from an Elite team that knows how to focus their efforts.

2ecdlcn.jpg

Ecotic

Alright, I'm going to replay the campaign on Legendary for the third time.

But this time I'm going to turn all the difficult skulls on except for Iron!! :O Plus Cowbell so I can't escape the grenade blast radius near as easy. Wish me luck, I finished my second run earlier today but I didn't have Black Eye or Cowbell on.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Striker said:
Does he have an Xbox 360? If so he can get a new (alt) account and just play that way for a little while until it runs out.

His old 360 died ages ago. He just picked up his cousin's console and wanted to check out Reach. I'm not so sure I understand what you mean though. Alt accounts have limited gold status or something?

Raide

EvaPlusMinus said:
His old 360 died ages ago. He just picked up his cousin's console and wanted to check out Reach. I'm not so sure I understand what you mean though. Alt accounts have limited gold status or something?

New gamertag, get 1 month free Gold.

Dax01 said:
Anyway, I got a pretty sweet stick for you all. It's my longest stick ever. And by longest, I mean from the time the grenade left my hand to the time it stuck an opponent. I love Spire.

A Stick to Wait For
That was awesome, I want to try it now. I wonder how many grenades can float back and forth, or would they just interfere with each other?

I have one film clip I might as well share. Awesome delayed grenade launcher kill. Not nearly as long a wait as yours, Dax, and a different weapon, but I thought it was funny when I saw it happen.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1884193&player=lazytonberry

Wasn't me, a friend was the one using the Pro Pipe, but I am seen walking by the door with the hammer and flaming head.

I still don't know if he fired it using the manual detonation and held it down the whole time, or somehow the normal fire just never exploded until a guy ran over it. Either way, it's pretty ridiculous that it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom