• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarecrow said:
You'd think bungie would have fixed spawn camping issues that have plagued the past Halos. I know the Halo fanboys hate comparisons between the two, but I never had this problem in CoD. Just spawn us in other parts of the map.

The last game of CoD I played was in Afghan and a chopper gunner spawn killed me like 5-6 times in a row on that cliff. CoD is just as bad.

Glowingmonx said:
The last game of CoD I played was in Afghan and a chopper gunner spawn killed me like 5-6 times in a row on that cliff. CoD is just as bad.

Doesn't really count chopper gunner can almost hit the entire map at any time. Normal players can't...

MW2 spawns are better than Reach's worse than H3's imo. Right in between there.

Honestly I expected great things from Reach's spawn system but right now its not doing anything for me. Especially after having a detailed write up of everything that needs fixing...not that I expected anyone to listen to me.

Scarecrow

Glowingmonx said:
Yeah, but at least it only lasts for a few seconds. Plus, you can spawn with a weapon to take it out. A DMR against a tank and banshee isn't going to do shit.

ElRenoRaven

Scarecrow said:
I'm really starting to get annoyed with Halo's multiplayer. Every blue circle is a blue guy/vehicle camping our spawn (note some are behind cover) and even more blues were on the way:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/cyberkirby/reach_5794658_Full.jpg[IMG]

You'd think bungie would have fixed spawn camping issues that have plagued the past Halos. I know the Halo fanboys hate comparisons between the two, but I never had this problem in CoD. Just spawn us in other parts of the map.[/QUOTE]

Yea that map really wasn't thought out spawn wise when it came to slayer gametypes that weren't invasion. I don't know how anyone with any sense could see that spawn and say oh gee that will be ok and you would think that some playtesting would have caught it.

The problem with cunts spawn camping in vehicles isn't really the fault of the spawn points - it's the fault of the dozen or so vehicles that are in every map. Seriously, in Hemorrhage there are 2x mongeese, 2x warthogs, a revenant (annoying arse in itself), 2x ghosts AND a wraith.... per side! It's overkill compared to the similar Blood Gulch maps in old Halos, and only serves to compound the notion that the game is far more range + vehicle orientated.

Anyway, as much as i'm loving online, I have another issue - I keep on not being able to select my loadout in time. I would like, at the very least, a few seconds longer to think about what crap I want to take into battle. I wish they put in a "press X to spawn" command or something, so that at least the spawns aren't longer for everyone.

If you are getting spawn camped, your team probably sucks. I know, getting killed within 5 seconds of you spawn is a lot less fun than getting killed within 20 seconds.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
cuevas said:
If you are getting spawn camped, your team probably sucks. I know, getting killed within 5 seconds of you spawn is a lot less fun than getting killed within 20 seconds.
Nah it usually means the other team is good. I personally don't have a problem with spawn killing. Knowing where the other team is spawning is a very important part of competitive play. The spawns I don't like are the ones where you're so sure they're gonna spawn in one place but somehow spawn in another. Sometimes it's just one guy who spawns away from his team and it can be a real setup breaker.

Shake Appeal said:
To be honest, the Boneyard spawns outside of Invasion are totally crocked. I think I pointed this out about two days after launch.

Yup pretty much, as are hemorage slayer spawns. Surprisingly, Invasion slayer is much better on hemorage than standard slayer because of the spawning (Just give both sides a long range weapon to start)

cuevas said:

Has nothing to do with the team. The game just sucks balls when it comes to spawning. One time I literally spawned in front of a team of 3 players. Then another time someone else managed to spawn right behind me to go for the assassination. I never had a problem with this in Halo 2 or 3.

Scarecrow said:
I'm really starting to get annoyed with Halo's multiplayer. Every blue circle is a blue guy/vehicle camping our spawn (note some are behind cover) and even more blues were on the way:

reach_5794658_Full.jpg
Camping has never been a huge issue in Halo (MW2 on the other hand...). Looks like you were Spartans on Invasion Boneyard? Rockets, sniper, and laser spawn above where the core is. What happened to all of those? The turret guy can be taken out pretty easily with some DMR shots from your base. What about some pro-pipe to take out the tank?

I don't really have an issue with spawns on invasion because you can choose where you spawn from multiple points.

Dax01 said:
Camping has never been a huge issue in Halo (MW2 on the other hand...). Looks like you were Spartans on Invasion Boneyard? Rockets, sniper, and laser spawn above where the core is. What happened to all of those? The turret guy can be taken out pretty easily with some DMR shots from your base. What about some pro-pipe to take out the tank?

I don't really have an issue with spawns on invasion because you can choose where you spawn from multiple points.
That's regular BTB, not Invasion. If you haven't experienced what a good and coordinated team can do to you on that map in BTB, consider yourself lucky. The spawns are, flatly, broken. You don't spawn anywhere but in the one place.

Dax01 said:

But if you play a BTB mode on Invasion you will notice that the blue team has a small advantage

Shake Appeal said:
That's regular BTB, not Invasion. If you haven't experienced what a good and coordinated team can do to you on that map in BTB, consider yourself lucky. The spawns are, flatly, broken. You don't spawn anywhere but in the one place.
I don't think it's the spawns, I think it's the fact that Bungie is forcing players to play BTB on a map that's designed for Invasion (and, thus, didn't prioritize revamping the spawns for BTB). They never work out well.

Magni

Second time getting betrayed by the AI, right at the ned this time. Why can't we just turn them off, they're more harm than help.

Safe Bet

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Seriously, how do these wraiths kill me? They can't even see me!!!
They same way Elites know to sidestep the exact moment you put a reticule on their head?

Personal Note:

Trying to take a break from the MP for a bit.

I keep getting "bad rolls" and finding myself served up as someone else's "Halo Moment!".

:/

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I don't think it's the spawns, I think it's the fact that Bungie is forcing players to play BTB on a map that's designed for Invasion (and, thus, didn't prioritize revamping the spawns for BTB). They never work out well.
What you are saying is the spawns don't work well because of the map and spawn design. I'm not sure you're disagreeing with him.

Tashi0106 said:
Nah it usually means the other team is good. I personally don't have a problem with spawn killing. Knowing where the other team is spawning is a very important part of competitive play. The spawns I don't like are the ones where you're so sure they're gonna spawn in one place but somehow spawn in another. Sometimes it's just one guy who spawns away from his team and it can be a real setup breaker.

Should have said that the other team is better than yours if they can spawn camp you. If a team is capable of just spawn killing you then they are just as capable of dominating your team with completely random spawns (in my experience). But the spawn system has always been the same for halo which is spawn close to your team.

new avatar?

and so many vehicles does kill it in most gametypes; 2 hogs, a ghost, and a mongoose should be enough in the new bad gulch.

Gowans

For gods sake!

Rumble pit = Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection.

Hate it!

GhaleonEB said:
What you are saying is the spawns don't work well because of the map and spawn design. I'm not sure you're disagreeing with him.
Right. What I originally said didn't apply, so I supplemented that with some possible reasons on why the spawns are that bad. Personally, I didn't get the implication that the spawns are so bad because of the maps intended design from his post.

MrBig

Gowans007 said:
For gods sake!

Rumble pit = Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection, Safe Haven, Infection.

Hate it!
I don't know, I went +30 the only time I played rumble pit. Which was infection.

Gowans

Ug five zombie games in a row & I've gave up on Rumble Pit. They are always been voted through by 3 or 4 :(

And even when they dint show up we then get "None if the above" votes :(

Obviously people want it as I changed groups each time but man it's a powerful 40-50%.

:(

Bungie put out any matchmaking stats yet?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
cuevas said:
Should have said that the other team is better than yours if they can spawn camp you. If a team is capable of just spawn killing you then they are just as capable of dominating your team with completely random spawns (in my experience). But the spawn system has always been the same for halo which is spawn close to your team.

new avatar?

and so many vehicles does kill it in most gametypes; 2 hogs, a ghost, and a mongoose should be enough in the new bad gulch.
Old avatar actually lol

GhaleonEB said:
The respawn zones for red and blue team are relatively small cylinders, as compared to the zones on other maps that often effectively chop the map in two (on Asylum, for instance, the Respawn Zones are large boxes angled sufficiently to allow players to spawn on a small part of the opposing team's side in extreme circumstances; Hemorrhage has two giant, fuck-off cylinders [one at a wonky angle] that extend to the middle of the map). The result on Boneyard is that the spawns in Bay 21 and the Refinery do not get used properly. If blue team boxes red onto the Cliff Scaffold, red team will continue to spawn there over and over. The cylinder doesn't extend past the Port Scaffold.

In a regular, two-team, RvB game, either team can be farmed into a small collection of spawns without too much trouble. And blue side has the advantage, because the geometry around the Cliff Scaffold (especially the Port Scaffold) allows them to do it more easily.

BTB Snipers can turn into a spawn-and-die shitstorm for red team for this reason.

Bonus screenshot:

reach_5951438_Full.jpg

Dax01 said:
The map should actually be fine for BTB, though neither of the 'base' locations are ideal. It would actually make more sense to spawn blue team at Shop and red team at Bay 21; neither of those areas are exactly covered, but they're not as bad as the existing spawn areas, and they don't give either team an advantage on reaching the high ground of the ship (and sniper, rockets, and plasma launcher), which blue currently possesses. It would also reinvigorate the Refinery for CQC. As it is, it hardly gets used.

They did 'revamp' the spawns for BTB. Invasion uses different spawn markers and systems, so someone went in and pointedly added regular respawn points and initial spawns for both teams and FFA. They just neglected to place respawn zones that work with those spawns so they actually get used, especially when either team's 'base' has been compromised.

I mean, they could just delete the respawn zones as they are. As far as I know, Spire doesn't have respawn zones except for game-specific ones for e.g. CTF and Stockpile. And I just checked Boardwalk, another 'BTB' map, and it doesn't have slayer-specific respawn zones either.

So this could really be 'fixed' with two taps of the Y button in Forge.

MrBig

Gowans007 said:
Ug five zombie games in a row & I've gave up on Rumble Pit. They are always been voted through by 3 or 4 :(

And even when they dint show up we then get "None if the above" votes :(

Obviously people want it as I changed groups each time but man it's a powerful 40-50%.

:(

Bungie put out any matchmaking stats yet?
Action sack needs to be brought back for all the silly gametypes like that
It doesn't make any sense to have them in "competitive" playlists.

GhaleonEB

Completed the It was the Winter... Challenge. I decided to give it one shot, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Though I'll admit I didn't kill a single Elite in that first encounter with them - which I have a hard time with - I sat back and took pot shots while the rest of Noble cleared them out. Chicken, but hey it got me 3,000 cR. :lol

The rest of the level was just cautious, methodical play. Fun challenge.

I'll hit Captain by the end of the day. But I won't get the weekly Challenge - another 15 rounds of FF is too much in one day.

Gowans

MrBig said:
Action sack needs to be brought back for all the silly gametypes like that
It doesn't make any sense to have them in "competitive" playlists.
Agree 100%

That playlist is pointless for me now.

Good campaign challenge today. Nice amount of credits for the length of the level, and the kind of weighting we need to be seeing for Campaign challenges like that. Longer levels probably need about 5-6K Cr for survival challenges.

I think the credits rewarded compared to the difficulty of the challenge has generally been better lately. So, some positive feedback from me on that for once Luke :lol

Also, has anyone noticed they're getting more credits for multiplayer games? I'm finding they're a lot closer than they used to be; I seem to be netting something like 700-900 Cr for a 10 minute match, and 100-1100 for a Score attack, compared to ~500 and ~1300 it used to be.

Basically I have three achievements and I'm 1000/1000.

I'm by the 'G' of warrant officer grade 2. So I think that means I have grade 3, Captain and grades 1, 2 and 3; Major grades 1, 2 and 3; then Lt. Colonel before I can get 1000. that's (I think) 291,000 credits across 10 ranks? :lol

So without commendations and challenges that's about 291,000 games for someone of my skill level. Commendations and challenges will mitigate it somewhat but not by that much, I would imagine, given how you currently get 500 credits for 50 FF rounds.

I'll 1000/1000 a Halo game one day...

Photolysis said:
Good campaign challenge today. Nice amount of credits for the length of the level, and the kind of weighting we need to be seeing for Campaign challenges like that. Longer levels probably need about 5-6K Cr for survival challenges.

I think the credits rewarded compared to the difficulty of the challenge has generally been better lately. So, some positive feedback from me on that for once Luke :lol

Also, has anyone noticed they're getting more credits for multiplayer games? I'm finding they're a lot closer than they used to be; I seem to be netting something like 700-900 Cr for a 10 minute match, and 100-1100 for a Score attack, compared to ~500 and ~1300 it used to be.

Higher rank means more cR for completing a game ;p
Score attack should be lower because some commendations have reached onyx I think

Piper Az

OK, I'm at the last stage on Legendary mode, and I think I ready to join the GAF crew online as well as COOP.

LIVE tag: janea03

Let me know!

Any clever ideas on how to take down the
brute with the fuel rod gun in the control room at the end of Exodus?
It takes me about 10 minutes from the last checkpoint to kill everyone on the map except him, then I get to that guy, and no matter what I do or how I approach him the fucker gets me every single time. I'm getting really frustrated. Thanks.

Glowingmonx said:
Higher rank means more cR for completing a game ;p
Score attack should be lower because some commendations have reached onyx I think

I'm not factoring in commendations in my score attack figure.

As for multiplayer credits, I've been at Lt Colonel 3 for about 2 weeks now. Unless the game is actually using my real uncapped rank (Colonel) for these calculations, it looks like the MP credits have been increased slightly.

Shafto

Neuromancer said:
It takes me about 10 minutes from the last checkpoint to kill everyone on the map except him, then I get to that guy, and no matter what I do or how I approach him the fucker gets me every single time. I'm getting really frustrated. Thanks.

You can:

1) Grab the sniper rifle, which is positioned close to the Generator-thing you have to turn on, which is furthest from the starting point. (I.E. Across the foot-bridge, with the Wraith beneath it).

2) Skip it completely - grab jetpack, and just boost straight up to the room he's in and flip the switch.

Havok

Shafto said:
You can:

1) Grab the sniper rifle, which is positioned close to the Generator-thing you have to turn on, which is furthest from the starting point. (I.E. Across the foot-bridge, with the Wraith beneath it).

2) Skip it completely - grab jetpack, and just boost straight up to the room he's in and flip the switch.
Your avatar is making the page ask for authentication, so you know.

Santiako

Neuromancer said:

Use the active camo to run inside and press the button. That's what I did :lol. I managed to avoid the most difficult fights in legendary :lol

Gowans007 said:
For gods sake!

Hate it!

I know what you mean. They should separate rumble pit into normal Lone Wolf type games and "unique" games.

Also, rocket race should fall somewhere in unique as well. I hate that more than infection I think.

Smokey

Gowans007 said:
For gods sake!

Hate it!

woke up this morning wanting to play RB before some football games...I got FIVE (i think) Infection/Safe Havens in a row. Fuckin shit. I quit out of every single one of them. I haven't even played Halo that much lately because FFA is what I like to play and Safe Havens/Infection is ruining it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom