• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugbot said:
I seem to remember the action spilling more into the side ramp rooms in two, but it's honestly been long enough that I might be wrong. Regardless, I think that some weapon spawn changes could open the map up a bit more, and should be looked into.

I see your point about there being maps with strong positions that teams need to hold, I just think that the hallway is closed off and protected enough that, when combined with AL and Cloaking, a team can get control of the hallway and all the power weapons a little too easily. I don't get what you mean about Countdown though, I don't recall a particular overpowering position on this map and action tends to flow around really well. The heat map seems to reflect this, but I might be reading it wrong.

You have a good point, playing it on a type without Radar might help the situation a lot. I haven't had much of a chance to, but having radar pretty much closes off the elevator as an avenue of attack and shuts down the bottom level of it.

With countdown it's more what Ramirez was saying about camping the lifts, He plays at a level so far above mine that I just took his word on it happening at high level play.

Weapon spawns might be an interesting change on reflection, especially if they threw some rocket ammo down somewhere, taunting the rocket guy to come out. Halo 2's placement wouldn't work, maybe down near the 2 lift side.

Shake Appeal said:
Worst thing about Forge 2.0: it's increased usability means you will have to play your friends' shit maps.

GAF Forge maps stood up well, though. The Invasion of Alajaranajanarado drew the most gasps, but Bulldogs was hugely popular with a predominantly English crowd. Crossroads CTF was also good.

lol.

Good way to put it. I know I put my friends into some baaaaaaad versions of my map, but I think it's a pretty sweet little 2 vs 2 slayer/CTF map now :)

Hey what's the deal with Jun? Actual potential spoiler:
Is the assumption that he died somehow after splitting off from the group with Dr. Halsey? Or might he have made it off the planet?

Neuromancer said:
Is the assumption that he died somehow after splitting off from the group with Dr. Halsey? Or might he have made it off the planet?
Who knows. Another example of Bungie's leet story-telling skills!

Neuromancer said:

He and Master Chief get hitched after Halo 3. The end.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Neuromancer said:

He made it off reach with Halsey. They talk about it in the legendary commentary.

MrBig

Neuromancer said:
They say he's still alive in the legendary commentary

Hugbot

NullPointer said:
So he wasn't in the Noble Team memorial? Or was it assumed he died shortly afterwards?
Even if he made it off with Halsey, that entire team went into crazy slipsace shield world and is assumed dead by the USNC

Edit: Wait, no that was Onyx. Well I don't know.

Doodis

Neuromancer said:

Actually if you "survive" the
Lone Wolf level after the credits, you get the Legendary ending, which is a steamy love scene between Halsey and Jun, as they believe it is their duty to make sure that humanity lives on through their spartan/super-smart-scientist offspring.

Unicorn

In forge is there a way to modify armor abilities? I want to make a jetpack match, but give them longer use, faster cooldown, let people carry the flag while flying and stuff but couldn't see any options like that. Only sorta work around it by lowering gravity and increasing jump, but then it makes ground combat really wonky.

:/ am I missing it or are the options not there?

Hugbot

Unicorn said:
In forge is there a way to modify armor abilities? I want to make a jetpack match, but give them longer use, faster cooldown, let people carry the flag while flying and stuff but couldn't see any options like that. Only sorta work around it by lowering gravity and increasing jump, but then it makes ground combat really wonky.

You can set at least the flagrunner's movespeed and allow him to use armor abilities through the gametypes settings, but not through Forge. You may be able to slide the cooldown/use on AAs as well, but I don't know. You can at least make them unlimited.

Unicorn said:

In base traits or general traits or whatever, there is an option to make armor abilities unlimited.

GhaleonEB

Unicorn said:

"let people carry the flag while flying and stuff" --> Game Options --> Flag Carrier Traits --> Equipment Usage

"give them longer use, faster cooldown" --> Pretty sure your only equipment options are default, unlimited and none, so you can't modify their reuse rate.

Unicorn

The Lamonster said:
In base traits or general traits or whatever, there is an option to make armor abilities unlimited.
Hmmmm. I like having to balance watching a cooldown and flying around for platmforming aspects to the map in my head, but I may have to settle.

Also, is it just me, or is forgeworld really small and underwhelming. Just the gulch, a cave, a coast and an island. Seems like maybe 5 areas to build around :/ guess its no biggy since my map would be all sky battles and buildings...

Kuroyume

Banned
So technically Master Chief isn't the last spartan? Okay.

Btw, could you please fucking remove those new wraiths out of Hemmorrhage? Bad enough that's there's MORE shitty vehicle gameplay ruining the game, but now this stupid thing is has some fucking decent boost and it's nearly as powerful as the bigger version. It's annoying as hell not to mention the constant spam turns the frame rate to complete shit and makes shooting nearly impossible. Get it out of there.

neoism

Cuban Legend said:
i know its late
but i see a party of eight
playing in forgegaf must be great
can please i get an invite or do i just wait
i want to help test maps so the authors can update
if not then maybe ill just sit and play with my prostate
Sai-kun said:
this is a lot more fun than you'd think
:lol :lol :lol

nna05w.jpg

god the sniper is soo awesome....:eek:

Unicorn

The Lamonster said:
I wish there was a way to use the (un)mounted turret while jetpacking.

I also wish the flamethrower was back for this game!
Really? Lame.

Hopefully forge gets more robust with time. Going to tackle building construction Wednesday when I have time off. Hopefully this map will work. In my head it is awesome with people jetpacking around for CTF matches.

Hugbot

Unicorn said:
Really? Lame.

Hopefully forge gets more robust with time. Going to tackle building construction Wednesday when I have time off. Hopefully this map will work. In my head it is awesome with people jetpacking around for CTF matches.
Well the default jetpack lasts a surprisingly long time if you feather it properly and can clear fairly large distances so you might be all right. I'm not sure if movement speed will affect speed while jetpacking but I imagine it does, so you might up it to 110% or so and squeeze a little more distance out of them without making it feel too wonky.

LAUGHTREY said:
I'm starting to understand arena and how it works, and the more I do the less I like it.

I can go 10-1-0 and get 1350-1400, but I can go 20-1-15 and get 1550-1600.

It doesn't seem to matter who does the best, just who ends the game the quickest.
Ratings don't really matter when it comes to arena. Its just something to make you feel good/bad about yourself for a day.

LAUGHTREY said:
I'm starting to understand arena and how it works, and the more I do the less I like it.

I can go 10-1-0 and get 1350-1400, but I can go 20-1-15 and get 1550-1600.

It doesn't seem to matter who does the best, just who ends the game the quickest.

I think assists get too much weight. You can have a great K/D ratio and still end up in Bronze. Doesn't seem right.

Of course, once you get up to Onyx, it's very hard to have a good K/D as everyone there is really good. That's when assists come in handy.

So I dunno...

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Neuromancer said:

Probably to be answered in a comic/book/anime short or whatever the hell they do.
cuevas said:
Ratings don't really matter when it comes to arena. Its just something to make you feel good/bad about yourself for a day.
wut

I see, I see, thanks guys. OK I'm at the bit in PoA with the two hunters. Do I want to jump on the window sill then crouch to sneak in, or do I want to crouch and then jump? I can't remember how I did it last time. Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out, it was the first one.

Hugbot

LAUGHTREY said:
Daily ratings matter none. They are just there so you have a number.

Individual game ratings matter only in relation to the other players. Top half up, bottom half down.

Why they made the Arena system as obtuse as they did is anyone's guess.

NullPointer said:
Campaign mission DLC?

Yeah, I know, I know.
I wish they made backstory campaign missions for each Noble Team member, including the original Six. Yeah, I know, 1 more campaign mission would already be time consuming, let alone 6. :[

That, a Halo CE remake DLC and a pony I guess. :lol

That being said, I guess the inevitable DLC maps will be the first non campaign / non forge maps in the game. I wonder if the DLC will include new FF maps.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Hugbot said:
Daily ratings matter none. They are just there so you have a number.

Individual game ratings matter only in relation to the other players. Top half up, bottom half down.

Why they made the Arena system as obtuse as they did is anyone's guess.
I wasn't talkin about Daily ratings, I dont even really know why theyre there if they're also taking into account every arena game you play. Someone could be really bad and just have three amazing games in a day and get a crazy high daily rating.

Im talking about game to game sometimes I'll just be an idiot and go kill for kill and get like 24 kills and 15 deaths, and have a better rating. I didn't do better than the guy who went more positive than me, I just got more kills. Ratio is much more important than how many kills you have, which is what it seems to be basing ratings on.

Of course, if you go like 25-0 you get an amazing rating. It just is more about your kills and go a little positive, instead of go really positive but have an average amount of kills.

Buuuuut then again I guess if you did really well and could get a lot of kills when your team couldn't that should be rewarded with a good rating.

pakkit

Banned
Currently, at least, I'm not sure if I'm as into Reach as Halo 3.

I've never really cared much for Bungie's single player campaigns. The aliens have always been so much more interesting than the Spartans.

Multiplayer is where it's at. There are definitely some awesome additions to Reach.

Some thoughts:
- Jet Packs are fucking awesome. Getting the drop on someone and then Boba Fetting the shit out of him doesn't get old, and it introduces another wrinkle into the radar and Halo's always expanding verticality.
- Overall, I really like the weapon additions. Flamethrower out, thank God, and the DMR feels really good. I'm glad they've omitted dual wielding, it killed Halo 2 multiplayer. As a Halo:CE lover, the pistol actually mattering now is great. Nothing better than cutting down some asshole running at you with a shotty with a few well placed headshots.
- So far, Reach feels less immediately balanced compared to Halo 3. Armor Lock spam is infuriating. It definitely needs to be tweaked. If you're stuck with a stick nade, you shouldn't be able to shrug it off with an AL. Invisibility AND radar scramble? It's like Bungie is rewarding the campers.
- The maps aren't as strong. There were some strong, strong favorites in Team Slayer/Multiteam Playlists in Halo 3. Here, it's just kind of jumbled. Also, they've killed Multiteam in this game. It's just as casual as Rumble Pit now.

GhaleonEB said:
"Oh god, it's coming back!" is what I thought midway through. :lol

I can't imagine what the view must have been like for the dude that stayed in the Falcon the entire time.
I was just watching this clip with Epilogue from the OST playing in the background. Made the whole thing sad and somber and surreal, but also make me chuckle to think how awesome it would've been if
this is how carter died, while a confused Scarab looked on.

Letters said:
good games Cuban Legend, Hypertrooper and Darkflight

always fun to play matchmaking with a gaf team
Indeed, some pretty awesome games. Definitely got to render that sweet triple/first strike with a grenade into green lift on swordbase I got the game before you joined.

Tonight got me to Major as well, wooo! :D Easiest weekly ever :lol

To get my 77th kill I just did one game of BTB, got CTF on Boneyard - man, what a clusterfuck, only two of us weren't in black screen for a minute after the match started, guy in the banshee and their sniper cleaned up on all the people standing still - after a little while a few guys quit, not sure if they timed out or quit on purpose, so by the time the pings settled, it was 8v5 and they had every vehicle and weapon :(

Magni

pakkit said:
Currently, at least, I'm not sure if I'm as into Reach as Halo 3.

I've never really cared much for Bungie's single player campaigns. The aliens have always been so much more interesting than the Spartans.

Multiplayer is where it's at. There are definitely some awesome additions to Reach.

Some thoughts:
- Jet Packs are fucking awesome. Getting the drop on someone and then Boba Fetting the shit out of him doesn't get old, and it introduces another wrinkle into the radar and Halo's always expanding verticality.
- Overall, I really like the weapon additions. Flamethrower out, thank God, and the DMR feels really good. I'm glad they've omitted dual wielding, it killed Halo 2 multiplayer. As a Halo:CE lover, the pistol actually mattering now is great. Nothing better than cutting down some asshole running at you with a shotty with a few well placed headshots.
- So far, Reach feels less immediately balanced compared to Halo 3. Armor Lock spam is infuriating. It definitely needs to be tweaked. If you're stuck with a stick nade, you shouldn't be able to shrug it off with an AL. Invisibility AND radar scramble? It's like Bungie is rewarding the campers.
- The maps aren't as strong. There were some strong, strong favorites in Team Slayer/Multiteam Playlists in Halo 3. Here, it's just kind of jumbled. Also, they've killed Multiteam in this game. It's just as casual as Rumble Pit now.

Agree with most of it (R.I.P. Flamethrower), but when was Multi Team more competitive than Rumble Pit in Halo 3? Always was a casual playlist IMO..

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Neuromancer said:

He's waiting for the level cap to be raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom