• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The Lamonster said:
FYI - Halo 3: ODST is on sale this week at Gamestop for $30 instead of $40.

Not worth even $20....

I had some fun games last night. Thanks for no SWAT Bungie :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
.nimrod said:
New challenges are up:

Weekly Challenge:

Your Daily Dose
Complete all of the Daily Challenges for a given day. -2000cR

That's kind of a bummer for me. I was hoping the Weekly Challenge was something I could commit an hour (or two) a day to complete. Now I have to try to find a 3hr block of time on a certain day.

:( :(

Spasm

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea Spire and Hemorrhage should have lasers in the bases and shit. You know so you can fuck vehicles up and get back to five shotting bad kids.

i dunno why theres so much laser hate. Probably because a lot of kids here need the vehicles to get kills.
RL is sufficient imo. I've never been the victim of vehicle rape on Spire, usually cause I'm the only one rushing RL. It respawns pretty quick too.

Willeth

LosDaddie said:
That's kind of a bummer for me. I was hoping the Weekly Challenge was something I could commit an hour (or two) a day to complete. Now I have to try to find a 3hr block of time on a certain day.

:( :(
In fairness, today's challenges are super easy. The only one that takes any amount of time is the 77 kills.

xxjuicesxx said:
I like em because they let me play the game differently. Like to rank up faster in MW2 I used to use every single gun, if they didn't exist I would have just used the FAMAS and the ACR the entire time. Halo's challenges let you use different tactics to get credits faster. Sure you don't need to use them and you can rank up just as fast sometimes, but challenges can make things interesting (they haven't really so far)
Why do you need challenges to play in different ways? I just play what is fun, I don't really enjoy firefight or doing the campaign over and over so I'm never gunna do those challenges even if its a 5k CR reward.

ultron87

I adore this game but it is so frustrating at points:

- If my 2 guests and I are half your team in Invasion don't boot us because you ran onto one of our grenades! It was probably an accident and you're not going to win afterwards. %$&%

- I had no idea how ridiculous the approach to the
Sword Base gate on The Package is until I tried to play it co-op on Legendary. There are 2 Shades turrets, 2 normal turrets, and a bunch of ghosts and revenants.
My friend and I threw ourselves at that for probably 45 minutes last night. We'll have to start over and keep the tank alive next time.

Raiden

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Why is everyone hating on ODST? Did I miss something?

I dont hate it, i think it has a great multiplayer!

The single player is the worst in the Halo series imho, but hey some people like it though.

cuevas said:
Why do you need challenges to play in different ways? I just play what is fun, I don't really enjoy firefight or doing the campaign over and over so I'm never gunna do those challenges even if its a 5k CR reward.

I dunno how I can explain it any other way.

I usually have fun by crapping on kids with the DMR. It works for me, why do anything else? That's where challenges come in...tempts me to partake in a learning to like portion of something I wouldn't normally care for. It mixes the game up.

darthbob

Raiden said:
I dont hate it, i think it has a great multiplayer!

The single player is the worst in the Halo series imho, but hey some people like it though.

How is it even remotely 'bad'?

It has no flood, that makes it automatically awesome.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I NEED SCISSORS said:
That's it - BTB slayer on Spire is ruined thanks to the Banshee and Falcon. Doesn't matter how good a team you are - the side who starts near the vehicles are going to piss on your parade, Modern Warfare 2 style. Fix this shit Bungie.

there are 2 snipers, 2 rockets, at least one grenade launcher and a fuel rod gun on the map, not to mention plasma pistols.

Vehicles on spire should not be an issue. I spend my rounds knocking them out of the air.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The Lamonster said:
And the music is awesome and it has Nathan Fillion.

Music and voice over gameplay and fun.

*sigh*

ODST's campaign is a piece of crap. And the Multi? I am sure that was a troll :lol

Oh well I'll reserve my ODST hate for another day.

The daily challenges don't really seem to take the difficulty of the challenge into consideration, just a fixed ratio of 1 kill = 10cr.

More than a Handful 750cR
Kill 77 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.
If I do well and get 12 kills per game, this will take 7 games.

One Spartan Army 1000 cR
Kill 100 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.
This will only take one game of firefight.

There was also a 4000 cR one a few days ago for killing 400 enemies in firefight which only took 2-4 games.

darthbob

Relix said:
Music and voice over gameplay and fun.

*sigh*

ODST's campaign is a piece of crap. And the Multi? I am sure that was a troll :lol

Oh well I'll reserve my ODST hate for another day.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Intentionally vague is vaguely intentional.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't understand how anyone can hate ODST. It was my favorite of all of the Halo campaigns, and right up there with Reach's campaign IMO.

Sai-kun

Banned
ultron87 said:
I adore this game but it is so frustrating at points:

- If my 2 guests and I are half your team in Invasion don't boot us because you ran onto one of our grenades! It was probably an accident and you're not going to win afterwards. %$&%

- I had no idea how ridiculous the approach to the
Sword Base gate on The Package is until I tried to play it co-op on Legendary. There are 2 Shades turrets, 2 normal turrets, and a bunch of ghosts and revenants.
My friend and I threw ourselves at that for probably 45 minutes last night. We'll have to start over and keep the tank alive next time.

Pick up a fuel rod from a dead Grunt (there will be at least one right before that part), learn where the turrets are (one dead ahead on the little hill, and one up-and-left of it, back on the cliff face, and then two normal plasma turrets off the right), and just learn physics :D You have to aim a little high because the FRG plasma will slowly descend as it goes forward.

But hitting both FRG turrets with the FRG in one try each felt fucking amazing, then I just took my tank in there and blew the Revenant to bits :D

TommyT

Alienshogun said:
I don't understand how anyone can hate ODST. It was my favorite of all of the Halo campaigns, and right up there with Reach's campaign IMO.

Because everyone isn't you? :lol

I don't understand why every girl I'm with won't let me put it up their ass... I mean I enjoy it and I've had at least one of them enjoy it.
Yeah, I realize I set myself up there... but sometimes you just gotta make the point and damn the consequences! :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
TommyT said:
Because everyone isn't you? :lol

Hmm, you must have also missed, the fact I said "I don't understand how they can't like it" when I think it's one of the top Halo campaigns.

So yeah, no shit.

I didn't say they were wrong for their opinion, simply that I can't understand where they are coming from.

feel

Disappointing weekly, too easy and quick to get... where are the Annual/endure/dejavu style weekly challenges? Or 100%ing the week's challenges...

Relix said:
Not worth even $20....
no mames wey

TommyT

Alienshogun said:
Hmm, you must have also missed, the fact I said "I don't understand how they can't like it" when I think it's one of the top Halo campaigns.

So yeah, no shit.

I didn't say they were wrong for their opinion, simply that I can't understand where they are coming from.

You missed my stealth edit! :lol

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
I know several others who felt the same, but for a lot of people it was more mixed. Personally, I loved about half of it, liked a quarter and really didn't care for another quarter; there are missions I played once and didn't want to play again. But in totality they did some pretty remarkable stuff given the constraints: the mood and scale of the hub city, the first mission, the soundtrack, core combat and Sadie's story (from the implementation down to the actual story) were simply wonderful. But I have no idea how I'd rank the ODST campaign among the rest, as it's very much its own beast.
Letters said:
Disappointing weekly, too easy and quick to get...
I was surprised by it, as there's already an achievement for the same. But hey, the moment there's one that doesn't require MP, I'll go for it.

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah those radio's are awesome, they discuss what other battles are going on, including stuff like what Red team are doing. Theres also a radio where 2 marines discuss zombie survival plans :lol

Theres a transcript here if your interested:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1021743

Once again, Bungie's background writing is better than their main game stories.

Can they get whoever writes these to do the main scripts?

GhaleonEB said:
Sadie's story (from the implementation down to the actual story)

I disagree. It was awful. There were some nice ideas and really clever symbolism, but the dialogue and especially the voice acting (oh GOD the voice acting) was HORRENDOUS.

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
I disagree. It was awful. There were some nice ideas and really clever symbolism, but the dialogue and especially the voice acting (oh GOD the voice acting) was HORRENDOUS.
To each their own. I loved it, and found the acting mostly excellent. It was my favorite aspect of the game and one of my favorite bits of story telling in the entire series.

Those radio transcripts are awesome. Which reminds me to start up the Easter egg section of the OP so bits like that aren't lost.

Letters said:
Disappointing weekly, too easy and quick to get... where are the Annual/endure/dejavu style weekly challenges? Or 100%ing the week's challenges...
Yeah I hate when they give us easy cR, goddamn them

Mr. Sam

Well, that's all the daily - and, obviously, the weekly - challenges under my belt. A game of bloody multi-team SWAT aside, that was a breeze. Well, it did take me three hours but, y'know, yeah...

Trickster

Blueblur1 said:

I disagree, I found the city enviroment boring, repetive and void of anything to do other than go from point A to B and finding some audio logs. And in my humble oppinion, running around in a repetive city chasing some audio logs is not very fun. When I wanted to listen to the audio logs, I just went on to youtube and saved myself the time of trudging through a boring city enviroment.

I also hated the VISR, it just felt like an ugly, yellow filter they pulled down over the screen (I feel the same about the night vision mode in Reach). It was made even worse because the city at night is so dark that you are practically forced to use it. Give me a flashlight any day of the week I say.

To change the topic. What is the easiest way to get 40 shotgun kills in firefight, don't think I've seen a shotgun yet, at least not in gruntpocalypse.

Why don't people like the flood? They're like space zombies! I thought they were OK in Halo 3, except for Cortana which had more to do with horrendous level design.

I wouldn't mind an update or DLC that had flood in the firefight.

Trickster said:
To change the topic. What is the easiest way to get 40 shotgun kills in firefight, don't think I've seen a shotgun yet, at least not in gruntpocalypse.
I'm with you on the flashlight. Anyway don't do gruntpocalpse, do regular firefight or score attack. There's a class that has armor lock and the shotgun.

Sai-kun

Banned
Trickster said:
I disagree, I found the city enviroment boring, repetive and void of anything to do other than go from point A to B and finding some audio logs. And in my humble oppinion, running around in a repetive city chasing some audio logs is not very fun. When I wanted to listen to the audio logs, I just went on to youtube and saved myself the time or trudging through a boring city enviroment.

I also hated the VISR, it just felt like an ugly, yellow filter they pulled down over the screen (I feel the same about the night vision mode in Reach). I was made even worse because the city at night is so dark that you are practically forced to use it. Give me a flashlight any day of the week I say.

Regular Score Attack.

GhaleonEB said:
To each their own. I loved it, and found the acting mostly excellent. It was my favorite aspect of the game and one of my favorite bits of story telling in the entire series.

Those radio transcripts are awesome. Which reminds me to start up the Easter egg section of the OP so bits like that aren't lost.

Honestly, I think it would have worked better just as text.

Remember the conversations between Didact and the Librarian or Gravemind and Bias in the H3 terminals? They probably wouldn't have been as good if acted out, mostly because I doubt Bungie would have forked out the money for good actors for a portion of story probably 2% of the people who played the game will ever see when they often hire bad actors for the main characters. (Lookin' at you, Miranda and half of the ODST squad.)
Gravemind could have worked, but they already had a VA for Gravemind, so w/e

GhaleonEB

Trickster said:
IIRC, you can pick a loadout that has one in regular Firefight. Do Score Attack on Holdout for some close quarters combat.

Louis Wu

Way the hell late with this, but...
God's Beard said:
I was playing campaign on legendary with all the skulls on, first level, right?

A little bit in, a pelican drops out of the sky, presumably because one of the jackals took out the pilot. I took it over, grabbed my two partners and took off. It glitched out, and we couldn't leave the pelican or get killed. The enemies couldn't hurt us, and we couldn't finish the level -_- So much for that.
Yah, Cody Miller pointed this out, too. His solution: let an Elite board you (fly close to the ground); as soon as it does, you're free. :)

Video here.

Shake Appeal said:
Arena today: 1170, 1031, 1197, 1284, 886 (finally quit this one, couldn't stand it).

Placed in the bottom four five times. Uh, what do I have to do to get matched against easier opponents?
I think you just did it... :lol :lol :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Louis Wu said:
Way the hell late with this, but...

Yah, Cody Miller pointed this out, too. His solution: let an Elite board you (fly close to the ground); as soon as it does, you're free. :)

Video here.

Sometimes an Elite will just stand on top with a Grunt buddy taunting you. :lol

partay.jpg

Louis Wu said:
I think you just did it... :lol :lol :lol
Yep! But then apparently I bested an Onyx guy and two Golds in that one good game today. The swings are crazy in Arena, and I think it's down to my inconsistency more than the matchmaking right now.

Must get better...

Veelk

Banned
Alienshogun said:

I personally couldn't stand it because everytime I got even a little damage, there was that insanely annoying beeping noise, if if there's a lot of damage, I ahve the whole screen fill up with red shit making it harder to see. It's the little things....

Hey You

user_nat said:
Dear bungie

Please make infection less crappy. Or more specifically the maps it is played on. Spawning as a zombie for 3 straight rounds on a map where everyone camps on a roof that shouldn't even be reachable is not fun.
So many things wrong with Infection in Reach its not even funny.

Hugbot

I'm considering throwing up a small GAF campaign high-score contest for a 1600 points card or something. It'd run for ~2 weeks and have no real guidelines except "you have to choose level X" and "it has to be single-player." I would start a thread in Online for it where people could just post a link to the game on Bnet and throw a recording up on their fileshare, so there's no funny business. Maybe the recording should only be required to verify the winner so TOP STRATEGIES can be preserved throughout the contest.

Any comments/suggestions? Would enough people be interested to justify running it? As far as levels go - LNOS is out due to space fighting rendering skulls pointless for a good chunk of the level, Winter Contingency would be boring, New Alexandria might be a poor choice with the Falcon section, and the last mission is out for obvious reasons. All the other levels I'm considering and will definitely take suggestions, if there is wide support or good reasoning for a specific level it'd only make sense to pick it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom