• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazslo

Hey so I'm finishing up my Forge Map and I need a little help with spawning- How do I get it so I spawn inside my map all the time?

Also if you wanna join me and help me test, do ittt join my game right now-Laszio

Lazslo said:
Hey so I'm finishing up my Forge Map and I need a little help with spawning- How do I get it so I spawn inside my map all the time?

Also if you wanna join me and help me test, do ittt join my game right now-Laszio

1. Delete all spawns (there's probably a few initial spawns in the coliseum, that you may have missed)
2. throw down intial red, blue, and Neutral spawns
3. Put a ton of neutral spawns down.

Profit.

Lazslo said:

Ideally, you want eight red team initial spawns, eight blue team initial spawns, 16 neutral/FFA initial spawns, and a ton of respawn points.

Setting your map up for multiteam properly will require more team-specific initial spawns. Invasion is a whole other mess of problems. Infection benefits from proper zombie spawns. Other gametypes may need specific initial spawns if you want. And respawn zones! Boy, spawns are complex.

If you just want to ensure you spawn inside the map at all times, make sure you have 16 initial spawns and a ton of respawn points.

And when I say 'a ton', really place them wherever you think they're suitable. You can't have too many. A map like Sword Base has ~100 on it.

Unicorn

Can you jack a vehicle while jetpacking?

Also, is there a guide to forge-ing? I wanna spend the least amount of time finding out the ins and outs of construction.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Unicorn said:
Can you jack a vehicle while jetpacking?

Also, is there a guide to forge-ing? I wanna spend the least amount of time finding out the ins and outs of construction.

Yeah, you do it for an achievement in campaign.

Teammates need to have their numbers superimposed on the HUD where they are at all times. It sucks playing with randoms and you have no idea where anyone is besides the people in direct sightline.

MrDaravon

Dax01 said:
Chill out. If you don't like 'em, don't do 'em. Play the game to have fun.

Late response (I was at work all day) here, but I'm not actually angry about the Challenges; I'm just extremely disappointed in what they've done for the most part with them. As far as I know the idea was at least partially to have interesting Challenges in a variety of modes to incentivize people to keep playing and/or check out modes/gametypes that they may not normally. But outside of a few good Campaign Challenges (which have been few and far between) they've mostly been pretty lame. I know Luke posted maybe a week or two ago about how they had more Campaign ones and other types coming which is neat, but given that they do these daily I don't know how they have failed to introduce even the most basic of variety. Even at a super basic level they could start putting out Challenges for getting kills with weapons other than the ones they've put out now (ex. 20 Supercombine explosion kills in any mode, etc). Also the cR rewards are all over the place; 3000 cR for completing 50 games of Firefight Matchmaking for a Weekly Challenge, but then you have 400 kills in Firefight (which is 3 1/2 games of Score Attack) for 4000?

Basically with the rotation being updated daily and the fact that the game has been out for close to a month now, they really should be getting these things ironed out and in gear already. I'm still doing all the Challenges because I'm OCD, and it's not like I'm just doing all of the Challenges and then signing off; I'm just disappointed because I was really hoping for more variety. I also hope they start having more specific level Campaign Challenges; all of the non-specific Campaign Challenges default to pretty much everybody just doing Winter Contingency. The slightest bit of motivation to do another specific Campaign level would be a nice change of pace.

J-Roderton

Wish more of my XBL friends were down for customs. These forge maps are great. I spend hours making one and it just sits there.

SailorDaravon said:
The slightest bit of motivation to do another specific Campaign level would be a nice change of pace.
Well, to an extent you make your own fun. I've done a variety of missions for the Campaign Challenges. I think today is the first since release that I haven't completed a single Challenge, though.

SailorDaravon said:
Late response (I was at work all day) here, but I'm not actually angry about the Challenges; I'm just extremely disappointed in what they've done for the most part with them. As far as I know the idea was at least partially to have interesting Challenges in a variety of modes to incentivize people to keep playing and/or check out modes/gametypes that they may not normally. But outside of a few good Campaign Challenges (which have been few and far between) they've mostly been pretty lame. I know Luke posted maybe a week or two ago about how they had more Campaign ones and other types coming which is neat, but given that they do these daily I don't know how they have failed to introduce even the most basic of variety. Even at a super basic level they could start putting out Challenges for getting kills with weapons other than the ones they've put out now (ex. 20 Supercombine explosion kills in any mode, etc). Also the cR rewards are all over the place; 3000 cR for completing 50 games of Firefight Matchmaking for a Weekly Challenge, but then you have 400 kills in Firefight (which is 3 1/2 games of Score Attack) for 4000?

Basically with the rotation being updated daily and the fact that the game has been out for close to a month now, they really should be getting these things ironed out and in gear already. I'm still doing all the Challenges because I'm OCD, and it's not like I'm just doing all of the Challenges and then signing off; I'm just disappointed because I was really hoping for more variety. I also hope they start having more specific level Campaign Challenges; all of the non-specific Campaign Challenges default to pretty much everybody just doing Winter Contingency. The slightest bit of motivation to do another specific Campaign level would be a nice change of pace.
Good points. For me, the daily (and weekly) challenges are such a small part of the experience that I can overlook any of them. Yeah, it was boring to see "Roast 'Em, Toast 'Em," again, but I simply shrugged my shoulders and did it anyway. If there aren't any good challenges, if I'm in the mood for something like that, I work on my commendations.

Lazslo

Thanks Shake and ElectricP that seemed to work. If anyone wants to help me play a game on my new map jump in my party!

th3dude

Didn't love the challenges today but they did lead me to my first weekly and the achievement.

Did the FF ones one score attack in 2 games and just happened to be on the right mission in my first run on Heroic.

Does anyone else have problems with the game locking up sometimes during host migration? I waited about 5 minutes and it was stuck. I could not get to the Xbox guide to quit so I assume it really crashed.

I don't know if this is known already, but.

I can confirm that Emile's helmet unlocks at 50% Armory completion. You need to be Commander to buy it.

omgawrd.

brokenwatch said:
Does anyone else have problems with the game locking up sometimes during host migration? I waited about 5 minutes and it was stuck. I could not get to the Xbox guide to quit so I assume it really crashed.

Ive had that issue a few times, and others on here and friends have aswell. So its not just a problem on your end. Luckily I havent had a Host Migration for a REALLY long time, it happened loads initially when the game first came out but it seems to have stabilized.

sn1pes said:
Didn't love the challenges today but they did lead me to my first weekly and the achievement.

Did the FF ones one score attack in 2 games and just happened to be on the right mission in my first run on Heroic.
You know, I bet this is why Bungie put out this weekly.

Willeth

Dax01 said:
You know, I bet this is why Bungie put out this weekly.
If you haven't done a weekly or all of the challenges in a given day, today's challenges net you two achievements.

I like the management of the weeklies (although last week's was crazy). Launch week getting a challenge for Heroic or harder Campaign was a nice touch.

Can't wait for the first map pack and all of a sudden the challenges are map-specific :lol

MrDaravon

Shake Appeal said:
Well, to an extent you make your own fun. I've done a variety of missions for the Campaign Challenges. I think today is the first since release that I haven't completed a single Challenge, though.

I agree with the first part there, but if Bungie is going to dangle a tasty carrot in front of you, and the easiest way to get it is taking the easy path, that's what's going to happen. I've been slowly replaying through the Campaign off and on on my own for variety sake, but realistically if they want to get people to do some variety they have to force it. Most people in online games get very specific about they want out of specific playlists and whatnot, if you want to get people to do other things they need to incentivize it, which seems like the point of the Challenges. I just think in that regard they haven't been doing a great job, especially with the cR rewards being all over the place.

Also how have you not completed the dailies today?? I played for maybe 45 minutes before work this morning and got 3 and am 25 kills away from the 4th.

Managed to get all the challenges for today after winning 3 slayer matches in rumble pit on the bounce. Feels good man..

I think that there is a lot of potential for interesting challenges but it's pretty run-of-the-mill currently. I like the idea of them being linked like the weekly put up today though.

I feel a little like this right now:

burt_reynolds.jpg

Just beat the campaign on Legendary solo.

SailorDaravon said:

I suggest you don't strive to complete all the challenges because you're "OCD", because like I said during a GAF meetup once..."It's like when you get a new car: you're extra careful to clean it and wash it and wax it to prevent scratches, but once you get your first scratch you don't really care anymore because you realize it isn't realistically worth the extra effort."

Challenges shouldn't be seen as the sole reason to play, but as incentive break from routine and try new things during your normal play schedule to keep things fresh from becoming monotonous. This will save you heartache and besides it's not like Bungie is serious enough to give people something for doing all the challenges ever. They already award you credits for completing them, that's enough depth for the challenge system to be effective.

I do agree with the disparity between cR/effort on some challenges though. It seems like this could a side-effect of them creating the challenges individually. Maybe they should modify some of the cR awarded on some challenges, keeping in mind other challenges that exists and the cR/effort ratios they have.

JB1981

so yea i gave halo 3 a whirl tonight and noticed that the player count was double that of reach. Halo 3 - 690,000 players. Halo: Reach - 370,000 something. WTF?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
JB1981 said:
so yea i gave halo 3 a whirl tonight and noticed that the player count was double that of reach. Halo 3 - 690,000 players. Halo: Reach - 370,000 something. WTF?
bungie.net shows only 180,00 in the last 24h in Halo 3..

Striker

pakkit said:
- The maps aren't as strong. There were some strong, strong favorites in Team Slayer/Multiteam Playlists in Halo 3. Here, it's just kind of jumbled. Also, they've killed Multiteam in this game. It's just as casual as Rumble Pit now.
Multi-team isn't nearly as fun. I had the most joy from it in Halo 2. There's just too many teams now. Halo 2 did three players per team and had four teams. Worked great on maps like Foundation and Warlock. With so many teams, it turns into a clusterfuck. Spawns are wretched for it moreso than any other gametype.

GhaleonEB

Good to have confirmation that Burt Reynolds' pubic hair is just as thick, rich and manly as his chest hair.
Hydranockz said:
Just noticed that isn't an underwear line I see... dear god....
Welcome to the Burtzone. It's like the Brutezone, but with thicker hair.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
divisionbyzorro said:
I hope Neuromancer gets tagged for that so that we can always be reminded of his ample contribution to this thread. :lol

Its not like its the first time that pics been posted :p

neoism

Man I can not stand how fucking slow Spartans walk in this game... :/... over all I think I'm officially burnt out... :( Hopefully a day or two off will fix it...

Sibylus

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Just beat the campaign on Legendary solo.
*high five*

Completed it yesterday. P
illar of Autumn took just under two hours for me, and I wasn't incessantly whoring the plasma pistol (typically only for crowds of Ultras and Zealots). That last infantry section with the engineer was too tense, especially with the one Elite whose shields could take two PP overcharges before breaking.

MrDaravon

Cuban Legend said:
I suggest you don't strive to complete all the challenges because you're "OCD", because like I said during a GAF meetup once..."It's like when you get a new car: you're extra careful to clean it and wash it and wax it to prevent scratches, but once you get your first scratch you don't really care anymore because you realize it isn't realistically worth the extra effort."

Challenges shouldn't be seen as the sole reason to play, but as incentive break from routine and try new things during your normal play schedule to keep things fresh from becoming monotonous. This will save you heartache and besides it's not like Bungie is serious enough to give people something for doing all the challenges ever. They already award you credits for completing them, that's enough depth for the challenge system to be effective.

I do agree with the disparity between cR/effort on some challenges though. It seems like this could a side-effect of them creating the challenges individually. Maybe they should modify some of the cR awarded on some challenges, keeping in mind other challenges that exists and the cR/effort ratios they have.

I agree. The problem is that Challenges ARE mostly monotonous and non-interesting/challenging.

That aside, has anyone noticed anything weird with the matches they've been getting the last three days? I play with three different "groups" of people, and almost to a man since Friday we have been getting fucking destroyed in matchmaking. I don't know if Trueskill is starting to kick in but it's still not fully accurate or what, but I am talking we are either completely 100% dominating, or 100% getting owned. We get completely dominated in Team Slayer so we go to Team Objective. We get completely dominated there and we go to BTB/Invasion and still get totally fucking wrecked there. We just played a BTB multi-flag on Hemorrhage and got raped possibly harder than I have ever seen in a Halo match, and that's saying something. They went +72 and we went -55. And this isn't just bitching or having a couple of bad games, this is practically everyone on my list that I've played with the last couple days, specifically since Friday.

In multi-team I still seem to do just fine, and also in Team SWAT, but SWAT is likely due to the fact I have played it very little so the Trueskill backend probably doesn't have enough data to "place" me yet. But in all seriousness, it's so bad and practically everyone I've been playing with since Friday has had the exact same complaints about all of a sudden being either completely outclassed in Matchmaking, or completely dominating. I can't imagine this many people of disparate skill levels would just start getting completely owned out of nowhere starting literally the same day; do we know if they flipped some kind of switch, or some sort of trueskill update occurred or something? It's literally at the point right now where some of us are thinking about taking a break until the first DLC hits or something, we're getting so completely dominated on a regular enough basis where it's genuinely not fun anymore. We had planned on playing a few more hours tonight, but we all bailed because every playlist is terrible for us now. I'm really genuinely confused, I honestly can't believe that ~20 people would all start to completely suck at the same time.

neoism said:
Man I can not stand how fucking slow Spartans walk in this game... :/... over all I think I'm officially burnt out... :( Hopefully a day or two off will fix it...

The playlist update (on the 15th?) should be up by then. Im feeling a little burnt out on the multiplayer myself. I never thought I would say this, but I would love some more Firefight stuff. Maps and settings which incorperate more vehicles would be cool, blowing up the Covenant from the inside of a Banshee is always fun. Is Firefight VS scheduled to go up at any point soon?

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
The playlist update (on the 15th?) should be up by then. Im feeling a little burnt out on the multiplayer myself. I never thought I would say this, but I would love some more Firefight stuff. Maps and settings which incorperate more vehicles would be cool, blowing up the Covenant from the inside of a Banshee is always fun. Is Firefight VS scheduled to go up at any point soon?
It'll be up with some other firefight additions on the 19th.

zaidr

WTF is up with Reach's campaign pacing?
When the fuck does the
Hornet flying section
end? Fucking booooring.

Mikey Jr.

SailorDaravon said:
I agree. The problem is that Challenges ARE mostly monotonous and non-interesting/challenging.

I wish they included more of the equipment into the challenges.

Like destroy a vehicle with armor lock, or do an assassination while camouflaged. Its been the same "Kill 200 dudes in one matchmaking game" stuff like usual.

MrBig

zaidr said:
WTF is up with Reach's campaign pacing?
When the fuck does the
Hornet flying section
end? Fucking booooring.
That's the easiest/shortest mission besides the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom