• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Heads up, HaloGAF, 343i/Waypoint is looking for another video producer. JD below:

Video Editor @ Microsoft-Careers

Microsoft Game Studios’ Halo team is looking for a sharp eye and a deft hand to help bring Halo stories to life. Teamwork, innovation, attention-to-detail and passion are characteristics we look for in our video editors. If you are a talented Video Editor who loves Halo and are looking for an exciting project to challenge you, this is where you need to be.
Requirements
- Two years professional experience in video production including proficiency in:
o Video editing software
o Codecs and compression
o Camera and audio operation
- Intimate knowledge and understanding of social media: Facebook, Twitter, Websites, blogging
- Professional writing and communications skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, creative, constantly changing, team environment
- A positive “can-do” attitude

Desired Qualities
- Basic knowledge of graphic editing software like Photoshop, Illustrator
- Content Management Systems proficiency or understanding
- Content production experience
- Familiarity with and passion for Halo and the Halo community
- Masterful organizational skills
- Fluent in MS Office suite of software
- Basic understanding of HTML/XML
- Bonus points for knowledge of After Effects and experience Machinimating
We're specifically looking for people with tons of Halo love and knowledge. There are lots of good video producers out there, but not many who play Halo every night and are actively involved with a Halo community.

So if you fit the above descriptions, please send your resumé and reel to me at cocopjojo@ascendantjustice.com.

Cocopjojo said:
Heads up, HaloGAF, 343i/Waypoint is looking for another video producer. JD below:

We're specifically looking for people with tons of Halo love and knowledge. There are lots of good video producers out there, but not many who play Halo every night and are actively involved with a Halo community.

So if you fit the above descriptions, please send your resumé and reel to me at cocopjojo@ascendantjustice.com.
All those nights poopsocking footage for a sniper montage will finally mean something!

GhaleonEB

GDJustin said:
Boardwalk is by far the most impressive change. There is a TON of stuff obscured.
I literally said wow. I wonder if the fog was added as much for performance as mood, given how detailed the surroundings are. The Boneyard one is what really got me - there's a huge array of objects scattered around the shipyard that are entirely obscured.

For those interested, here's the second entry in the Forge blog over at FUD.

Generic said:
I personally couldn't stand it because everytime I got even a little damage, there was that insanely annoying beeping noise, if if there's a lot of damage, I ahve the whole screen fill up with red shit making it harder to see. It's the little things....
Easily one of the worst decisions ever made in a Halo game, but I rather enjoyed the campaign for what it was: a glorified expansion to Halo 3.

GhaleonEB said:
Good read, looking forward to the next piece. Real shame to hear about the Revenant problems with your map. :-(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GhaleonEB said:
I literally said wow. I wonder if the fog was added as much for performance as mood, given how detailed the surroundings are. The Boneyard one is what really got me - there's a huge array of objects scattered around the shipyard that are entirely obscured.

Yeah I meant Boneyard, ha. I edited my post.

Obviously I would assume that performance issues played some role, although it seems like Bungie should have known what their budget was when building out their background details.

But, it also might be so they distract less. The fog serves as a visual cue, letting players know where they can & can't go. If everything were crystal clear, it wouldn't be clear where the map itself actually stops.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Good read, looking forward to the next piece. Real shame to hear about the Revenant problems with your map. :-(
Thanks. After a night's sleep I chilled out and swapped Ghosts in for the Revenants. They're not nearly as crazy/fun, and can't transport a passenger (which is why I picked a Revenant for the secondary vehicle in the first place), but hopefully they work. It's not as big a deal as I made it out to be last night, when I was fearing it affected all vehicles. I'm hoping it's a physics bug that can be patched.

Roche

Cocopjojo said:

You guys should hire this guy he seems to know his stuff and he has been around Halo forever. Don't know whether he's professional or not but I doubt that's the main thing you're looking for.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm starting to understand arena and how it works, and the more I do the less I like it.

I can go 10-1-0 and get 1350-1400, but I can go 20-1-15 and get 1550-1600.

It doesn't seem to matter who does the best, just who ends the game the quickest.

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. After a night's sleep I chilled out and swapped Ghosts in for the Revenants. They're not nearly as crazy/fun, and can't transport a passenger (which is why I picked a Revenant for the secondary vehicle in the first place), but hopefully they work. It's not as big a deal as I made it out to be last night, when I was fearing it affected all vehicles. I'm hoping it's a physics bug that can be patched.
Yeah, but you still touched on some points that are relevant, especially the part about the landscape being less forger-friendly than it should be. I saw a forged map a week or so ago that had a small 'indoor' atrium with a couple of trees in it. I wanted to use that idea for a larger map, but couldn't find a large enough space that didn't have a bunch of stupid rocks in the way or such a massive elevation change that it was impractical to build there. There are some aspects of FW that are just as infuriating as H3's ever was.

I thought this was pretty good

225fl.jpg

First Person Clip (Rendered)

Third Person Clip (Rendered)

Hugbot

squidhands said:
Yeah, but you still touched on some points that are relevant, especially the part about the landscape being less forger-friendly than it should be. I saw a forged map a week or so ago that had a small 'indoor' atrium with a couple of trees in it. I wanted to use that idea for a larger map, but couldn't find a large enough space that didn't have a bunch of stupid rocks in the way or such a massive elevation change that it was impractical to build there. There are some aspects of FW that are just as infuriating as H3's ever was.
Yeah, I was taking a break from rebuilding my first Forge map to try and find a location for my second, and it's kind of silly. A lot of the areas I found were "perfect if it wasn't for this stupid hill," I may just give up on a second symmetrical map and try my hand at a good one-flag map.

Also, re-posting since it was at the bottom of the page and I was looking for feedback:
I'm considering throwing up a small GAF campaign high-score contest for a 1600 points card or something. It'd run for ~2 weeks and have no real guidelines except "you have to choose level X" and "it has to be single-player." I would start a thread in Online for it where people could just post a link to the game on Bnet and throw a recording up on their fileshare, so there's no funny business. Maybe the recording should only be required to verify the winner so TOP STRATEGIES can be preserved throughout the contest.

Any comments/suggestions? Would enough people be interested to justify running it? As far as levels go - LNOS is out due to space fighting rendering skulls pointless for a good chunk of the level, Winter Contingency would be boring, New Alexandria might be a poor choice with the Falcon section, and the last mission is out for obvious reasons. All the other levels I'm considering and will definitely take suggestions, if there is wide support or good reasoning for a specific level it'd only make sense to pick it.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
I do wonder about the evolution of Forge World. I know it was planned as five separate spaces, and that Bungie initially planned them to be themed differently but converged them due to resources. But I wonder if areas like the island weren't planned as a separate MP map. Aside from the lack of bases, it's modeled and landscaped with so much detail it feels like a final map iteration, rather than a canvass. There's really no space like the basin on Sandbox to build out a unique map, just variations on the prebaked geometry.

That said, I've seen some unique ways to blend areas together (I like Dani's and VH's take on the upper areas and the island from this weekend). I've got two candidates for a second map to poke around with tonight. But part of me is hoping for a Forge World part 2 in the parting DLC for Reach, with more wide-open areas to Forge and some faux terrain objects (think the upside down golf cups, but larger).

Devin: that was awesome. The third person clip looked brutal.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/globalheatmaps.aspx

set it to 40 and check out reflection and sword base. :|

They need to (if they can) remove that window from the top gold area, so it's not such a lockdown place. It would make it much much easier to toss nades up there to discourage campers and I think you may even be able to jump to it from the top ramp area.

It's just so annoying, that's all.

Hugbot

Jroderton said:
Reflection basically is just the top hallway. Nothing ever goes on at the lower levels.
So much more of the map was used in Halo 2, and even then the top hallway was the primary focus. Without the overshield and with jetpacks and sprint allowing ways to get from anywhere to that hallway so much quicker it's just not working out in Reach. I haven't had a chance to do some Crazy King on it, maybe that'll make it fun.

Hugbot said:
So much more of the map was used in Halo 2, and even then the top hallway was the primary focus. Without the overshield and with jetpacks and sprint allowing ways to get from anywhere to that hallway so much quicker it's just not working out in Reach. I haven't had a chance to do some Crazy King on it, maybe that'll make it fun.
Yet it's still one of Reach's best maps.

Anyone know why they took out the overshield in this remake?

Kuroyume

Banned
In Halo 2 stuff happened at the bottom but now with armor lock and invis people can camp there the entire game. Once they get their hands on the power weapons forget it.

ElRenoRaven

Alienshogun said:
I don't understand how anyone can hate ODST. It was my favorite of all of the Halo campaigns, and right up there with Reach's campaign IMO.

I wouldn't rate it that high however it was a damn good game. I think the hate comes from several things.

1. No Multiplayer but firefight and Halo 3's.

2. The price was too high for it at launch. It really should have been 40 bucks or less when it came out.

3. It's not the typical Halo game in that it's not a galactic romp through the galaxy. Also it's not typical because it isn't linear in the level order. You can complete the levels in any order.

4. Having to traverse the city level to find the other levels. While I liked this I do acknowledge that some people just want to get into the action and not fight through a city to get to the next "real" level. Notice the quotes other people's words and not mine. I personally loved exploring the city.

5. Buck's shooting on that last level was crap and it was harder then it should have been for this reason.

6. Lack of matchmaking for Firefight.

7. Just cause they are haters.

Now the game I think is a damn amazing game. You had two stories intersect in the audio logs and main game and other games in the series. Examples on the second part is the part when you come upon the ton of dead Elites and Brutes.

I also loved the feel of the city level and the detective vibe of that level. You go along and find these clues then you have to put together what happened. Course we the gamer get the flash back. It honestly feels to me like the lost levels of Halo 2. It's set entirely on Earth and we get to see what happened here while Master Chief and company were off on the 2nd Halo.

Then it just has that awesome Halo gameplay. So I know I've made this list before but I'll say it again for me it rates like this.

1. Halo/Halo Reach
2. Halo 3/Halo 3: ODST
3. Halo 2

I really think that Reach and Halo are on par with each other and the same with Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST. At the same time I think Halo 3: ODST really helps to bridge that gap between Halo 2 and Halo 3.

rush777

Jroderton said:
Reflection basically is just the top hallway. Nothing ever goes on at the lower levels.

Totally agree don't enjoy it that much for that reason, and the endless grenade spam in said hallway. And wow at the maps without fog, would it hinder the performance that much to show all of the maps like that?

Weirdly, Reflection is most fun for 1-Flag and 1-Bomb. Straight Slayer just exposes how dependent everyone is on that top hallway (which would be more interesting if it was staggered, the way MLG made the catwalks on Asylum), and just how many power weapons there are. I'd almost take the sniper off it, or move the sniper to replace rockets.

My favourite Arena maps are still the ones with the fewest power weapons: Countdown, Sword Base, Zealot, and to a lesser extent Asylum (can we get proper 120 timers on the snipers and shotguns, please, Bungie?). On Reflection, Pinnacle, and especially Boardwalk you are going to die by rockets or sniper a lot. A lot. One of the good things about yanking Slayer Pro means Boardwalk no longer 'features' two rockets sitting within a seconds' distance of each other, and The Cage no longer has people firing rockets at you on narrow walkways with nothing but air below (remember the rockets on Lockout? of course you don't).

I mean it's partly because I am bad at grabbing power weapons and managing their timers to grab them again, but the few times I have controlled e.g. rockets on Boardwalk, it feels like I have four free kills in my back pocket.

Hugbot

The Lamonster said:
Yet it's still one of Reach's best maps.

Anyone know why they took out the overshield in this remake?
I don't agree that it's one of the best, I'd put it and Sword Base as the middle. Top would be Countdown/Powerhouse and bottom are Boardwalk/Zealot. I certainly don't hate it, though. They took out the overshield as they removed all of the pick-ups in favor of the AAs, I haven't looked for a way to make one in Reach but maybe it can be added in? It was helpful in breaking through the top (as was people not being able to cloak/invuln up there at will but you can't make an omelette...)

Edit: Actually Boardwalk is a weird case for me. Sometimes the matches on it are really good, sometimes they are just shit. Maybe rebalancing weapon spawns will fix my problems with it, as I think the layout works just fine.

J-Roderton

Hugbot said:

I remember taking advantage of the lower levels with the statue thing and surroundings more in H2 Team Snipers. Now I dunno...

It's basically rush to the top from whichever side you spawn on, grab sniper, run back around, scope the hallway, spam nades, repeat.

Pretty bad it's one of my preferred maps thus far.

FourDoor

Wow, the environment artists in Reach sure did a ton of extra credit work. Good to see some of their behind the scenes work exposed.

GhaleonEB said:
I do wonder about the evolution of Forge World. I know it was planned as five separate spaces, and that Bungie initially planned them to be themed differently but converged them due to resources. But I wonder if areas like the island weren't planned as a separate MP map. Aside from the lack of bases, it's modeled and landscaped with so much detail it feels like a final map iteration, rather than a canvass. There's really no space like the basin on Sandbox to build out a unique map, just variations on the prebaked geometry.

That said, I've seen some unique ways to blend areas together (I like Dani's and VH's take on the upper areas and the island from this weekend). I've got two candidates for a second map to poke around with tonight. But part of me is hoping for a Forge World part 2 in the parting DLC for Reach, with more wide-open areas to Forge and some faux terrain objects (think the upside down golf cups, but larger).

Devin: that was awesome. The third person clip looked brutal.
I do hope we have another forge palette to work with in future DLC. Another thing I was disappointed in was the complete lack of forge support for the other maps other than a couple of boxes or sandbags to move around. Simple weapon and spawn placement is soooooo 2007. :D

Anyway, to get off my negative rant, I am enjoying forging on FW once I can get into the groove. First map's just been posted today, I've got a symmetrical map in the works and an Invasion map set on the island. Invasion seems pretty tricky to get right, so it'll probably be my biggest challenge for forge.

Hugbot said:
Also, re-posting since it was at the bottom of the page and I was looking for feedback:
Exodus is a fun level for me, but I could manage pretty much whatever. I don't think you'd have to not include any particular level, you could just choose to do a particular rally point.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Jroderton said:

They should move sniper down to back hardwood and put rocket in sniper spawn, remove the sword and just put 1 clip shotgun where sword spawns.

ChrisD84

Yay, my first 1600+ rating in the arena :D

I'm really starting to love the pistol, i think i've given up trying to figure out the DMR and have started to use the pistol as my main weapon instead. It just feels better than than the DMR to me.

I still need to practice finishing off kills with it though, i ended a match the other day with 9 assists :lol

Hugbot

squidhands said:
I do hope we have another forge palette to work with in future DLC. Another thing I was disappointed in was the complete lack of forge support for the other maps other than a couple of boxes or sandbags to move around. Simple weapon and spawn placement is soooooo 2007. :D

Anyway, to get off my negative rant, I am enjoying forging on FW once I can get into the groove. First map's just been posted today, I've got a symmetrical map in the works and an Invasion map set on the island. Invasion seems pretty tricky to get right, so it'll probably be my biggest challenge for forge.

Exodus is a fun level for me, but I could manage pretty much whatever. I don't think you'd have to not include any particular level, you could just choose to do a particular rally point.
It wouldn't be the entire campaign, just a single level to give people time to get their run how they want it and also give people who are otherwise pretty busy a chance to try. For that reason I am hesitant to start from a Rally Point, but if lots of people ended up wanting to do LNOS or something then I'd just include the space section and let it sort itself out.

Thanks for the input, Exodus was the level I was originally looking at. It was a strong mission, pretty straightforward on how to improve your score, and there weren't long vehicle sections. I know there is some hate for it, though.

TommyT

BadAss84 said:

I'm really starting to love the pistol, i think i've given up trying to figure out the DMR and have started to use the pistol as my main weapon instead. It just feels better than than the DMR to me.

I still need to practice finishing off kills with it though, i ended a match the other day with 9 assists :lol

Preferring it for it's rate of fire?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
BadAss84 said:

Nah learn both. The DMR is definitely the gun you should be running around with. It has more ammo so you can kill more than 1 guy without having to reload. Also the DMR destroys the magnum at long range.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ramirez said:
You've played less than 20 (lost 7, won 5) games of Doubles Arena and have a .74 K/D ratio, this is dominating?

Me, Eazy, and Laughtrey played a game on Zealot in Arena where the whole team used AL, it was so stupid. I joined in later on in the match, altogether there were 25 rejection medals handed out. Eazy said he was gonna upload it to youtube and title it "high level arena play". :lol

Hey how come you guys (Bungie) haven't rolled those lockout/wizard remakes into the hoppers?

I was using AL too though. :(

ChrisD84

And the very next game in the arena, 960 rating :lol

Our team got stomped on >_<

TommyT said:
Preferring it for it's rate of fire?

I think that's part of it, and also that i'm just pretty useless with the DMR :x

Tashi0106 said:
Nah learn both. The DMR is definitely the gun you should be running around with. It has more ammo so you can kill more than 1 guy without having to reload. Also the DMR destroys the magnum at long range.

I've been trying to learn the DMR since the game came out, it's not been going well :D

I seem to lose out on a large majority of mid range DMR vs DMR battles, people just seem to spam the trigger better than me and come out on top *shrug*

Hugbot said:

If we had Halo 2 Heat maps i bet we'd see the exact same thing, that map is all about control of the top tower, It plays almost exactly like I remember it, but better in a few ways.

a) take a jetpack and get an angle on the top platform from anywhere, I find I have much more options of harrying the top floor guys.
B) The limit of 2 grenades, that are stronger helps flush out guys around corners, but it means those guys camping with nades up top run out pretty soon.

All that being said, it can still get a bit tiring after the 8th control the hallway game, I much prefer it for 1 flag/1 bomb variants, where it plays really well.

At it's core, every Halo should have a few maps that are inherently about assaulting an entrenched position, and that's okay, that's a pretty fun way to play! But Reach has about 5 maps out of 14 that use that gimmick in strait slayer; Pinnacle, Reflection, Sword Base, Countdown and the cage all rely on that basic concept, with various degrees of success. (Sword base, reflection, and countdown I think do it well, but Pinnacle and the cage fall apart IMO). This many maps with heavy capture and hold style of play also don't play with radar once you get two teams of really good players going at it.

Halo 3 had a lot of maps with a different concept; two bases looking at each other with something big to block the sightlines between them, Narrows, Isolation, The pit, Valhalla, and foundry default starts all sharing that kind of core design. It gets a little old after a while.

Horns

Jroderton said:

I tend to wait at the next level down. The hallway is tough to hold without dying because of all the ways you can be attacked there. I like the spot near the two air tubes and the small reflecting pool. You can guard the air tubes and watch the center from one spot.

ultron87

Sai-kun said:
Pick up a fuel rod from a dead Grunt (there will be at least one right before that part), learn where the turrets are (one dead ahead on the little hill, and one up-and-left of it, back on the cliff face, and then two normal plasma turrets off the right), and just learn physics :D You have to aim a little high because the FRG plasma will slowly descend as it goes forward.

But hitting both FRG turrets with the FRG in one try each felt fucking amazing, then I just took my tank in there and blew the Revenant to bits :D

Yeah, on our last try we grabbed a Revenant and (after killing the initial ghosts) we were having one player spot for the other to take out the turrets. I think we got all of them but we got killed by something unfortunate and didn't want to take the time to do everything over again. We'll beat that section one of these days.

If that section just had a checkpoint after the first 3 ghosts + the tower with Fuel Rod Grunts, it'd be so much nicer.

Hugbot

electricpirate said:
If we had Halo 2 Heat maps i bet we'd see the exact same thing, that map is all about control of the top tower, It plays almost exactly like I remember it, but better in a few ways.

a) take a jetpack and get an angle on the top platform from anywhere, I find I have much more options of harrying the top floor guys.
B) The limit of 2 grenades, that are stronger helps flush out guys around corners, but it means those guys camping with nades up top run out pretty soon.

All that being said, it can still get a bit tiring after the 8th control the hallway game, I much prefer it for 1 flag/1 bomb variants, where it plays really well.

At it's core, every Halo should have a few maps that are inherently about assaulting an entrenched position, and that's okay, that's a pretty fun way to play! But Reach has about 5 maps out of 14 that use that gimmick in strait slayer; Pinnacle, Reflection, Sword Base, Countdown and the cage all rely on that basic concept, with various degrees of success. (Sword base, reflection, and countdown I think do it well, but Pinnacle and the cage fall apart IMO). This many maps with heavy capture and hold style of play also don't play with radar once you get two teams of really good players going at it.

Halo 3 had a lot of maps with a different concept; two bases looking at each other with something big to block the sightlines between them, Narrows, Isolation, The pit, Valhalla, and foundry default starts all sharing that kind of core design. It gets a little old after a while.
I seem to remember the action spilling more into the side ramp rooms in two, but it's honestly been long enough that I might be wrong. Regardless, I think that some weapon spawn changes could open the map up a bit more, and should be looked into.

I see your point about there being maps with strong positions that teams need to hold, I just think that the hallway is closed off and protected enough that, when combined with AL and Cloaking, a team can get control of the hallway and all the power weapons a little too easily. I don't get what you mean about Countdown though, I don't recall a particular overpowering position on this map and action tends to flow around really well. The heat map seems to reflect this, but I might be reading it wrong.

You have a good point, playing it on a type without Radar might help the situation a lot. I haven't had much of a chance to, but having radar pretty much closes off the elevator as an avenue of attack and shuts down the bottom level of it.

Worst thing about Forge 2.0: it's increased usability means you will have to play your friends' shit maps.

GAF Forge maps stood up well, though. The Invasion of Alajaranajanarado drew the most gasps, but Bulldogs was hugely popular with a predominantly English crowd. Crossroads CTF was also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom