• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
LAUGHTREY said:
:lol

it's not "broken" if the assists are consistent, you just don't agree with how much damage you have to do to get one.

l2terminology.

I don't agree with the time window either. I think it was a complete oversight on Bungie's part and was completely unintentional, thus being "broken".

zam

xxjuicesxx said:
I don't agree with the time window either. I think it was a complete oversight on Bungie's part and was completely unintentional, thus being "broken".
I'll tell ya what is broken though, today's assist challenge :(

xxjuicesxx said:

This.

The time window is absolute bullshit. It makes no sense to me that an assist is much more difficult to obtain than a kill. Just think about that for a moment.

zam

Domino Theory said:
Because only the assists you get before your first death count, and the wording doesn't specify anything more than just "get 20 assists today". I've gotten well over 20 assists today, yet every single game I play I somehow manage to die before my first assist that game, so it still says 0/20 :(

Trasher

Domino Theory said:
Not working as intended. I got 1 for my last game when I actually got 4. I had 8 in another game and got 3. And those are the only 2 games that have given me any credit towards it. Some people have them completely wiped after their games too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
This.

The time window is absolute bullshit. It makes no sense to me that an assist is much more difficult to obtain than a kill. Just think about that for a moment.

I don't know why it's different than what it was in Halo 3. In Reach any time a player gets over 6 assists, it's amazing. In Halo 3, 6 isn't a lot.

I keep forgetting to fire up Halo 3 and test the assists and compare them exactly to Reach. Maybe I'll do it tonight.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Holy crap.

To think that we're starting to get Legendary w/o dieing and broken challenges just after they announce how to lift the level cap. :lol

zam

Just lay off the assist challenges bungie, or have 1/month or 1/week at the most. They aren't fun and they in some cases even encourage shittier game behavior with people shooting an enemy a couple times but not going for the kill hoping they get an assist instead..

Circle T

Watching the MLG stuff going on, I keep seeing dudes running around looking at the ground, often when reloading. Why is that?

Tashi

zam said:
Just lay off the assist challenges bungie, or have 1/month or 1/week at the most. They aren't fun and they in some cases even encourage shittier game behavior with people shooting an enemy a couple times but not going for the kill hoping they get an assist instead..

I like the assist challenges.

Watching the MLG stuff going on, I keep seeing dudes running around looking at the ground, often when reloading. Why is that?

Strongsiding? It's usually when they're escaping with low shields right? With your head down it makes it harder for the enemy to get the finishing headshot. It's also just happens to be a good time to reload.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
Strongsiding? It's usually when they're escaping with low shields right? With your head down it makes it harder for the enemy to get the finishing headshot. It's also just happens to be a good time to reload.
Ugh, I hate it when a pro popularizes something, cause from then on you end up getting accused of trying to be like them. Like, I can't do something cause it works effectively? Fucking gamers.

I hate to say it, but watching this MLG tourney the last few days has just rekindled my interest in playing Halo 3. If anyone is up for a Pit 2 flag custom I would be in heaven, I know its not gonna be quite as good as playing with the people I sorta play well with, but I just want 1 last game of it. :lol

Plywood wtf, I think putting your headdown and running for cover is obvious, no ones gonna blame you for copying a pro for doing that.

As for the level cap, I still cant see the themometer on Bnet, get to it Bungie! :p

rObit

Banned
Plywood said:
Ugh, I hate it when a pro popularizes something, cause from then on you end up getting accused of trying to be like them. Like, I can't do something cause it works effectively? Fucking gamers.

Eh, it's been around for a long time. I used to do something similar back in CoD2. Strongsiding to me almost seems like an instinct to me rather than trying to implement a tactic.

Tashi

Plywood said:

I don't think it's like that at all. Everyone Strongsides. At one point, everyone used to Ghandi hop. There are also a ton of locations named after pros as well. Eli on Midship. Bonfire on Sanctuary. Ghandi on Midship. Shockwave on Narrows. Walshy on the Pit.

Photolysis said:
The part about getting screwed over in Campaign unless in MM games is complete bullshit. Are Bungie planning on fucking everyone over for daring to not play MM?

I'm just really baffled at this mindset. You've had the entire studio work for years on making the most customisable game around, and encouraging players to play how they want, and then Reach comes along and you decide to fuck everyone over, or at least actively discourage this?

Custom games? Nope, no credits for you. Get your ass in matchmaking.
Forge? Hah, yeah like we're giving you credits for that.
Firefight? Tough shit, play the limited versions in matchmaking.

And now Campaign? "Play in matchmaking or fuck off"
Okay, first of all, chill out.

Secondly, what are you talking about? None of the campaign challenges/commendations force you to use matchmaking to complete them.

As to your question of why Bungie doesn't give enough credits to those who play forge, firefight, or custom games outside of matchmaking is simple: customization options. Farming credits would be extremely easy with all the customization options you have at your disposal in all three modes. With the gametypes in matchmaking, that requires you to sink your time into credits, and thus, their rewards.

Aggrotek

Tashi0106 said:
I don't think it's like that at all. Everyone Strongsides. At one point, everyone used to Ghandi hop. There are also a ton of locations named after pros as well. Eli on Midship. Bonfire on Sanctuary. Ghandi on Midship. Shockwave on Narrows. Walshy on the Pit.
I get called out on my Orge twitches. =[
It's habit.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:
Okay, first of all, chill out.

Secondly, what are you talking about? None of the campaign challenges/commendations force you to use matchmaking to complete them.

As to your question of why Bungie doesn't give enough credits to those who play forge, firefight, or custom games outside of matchmaking is simple: customization options. Farming credits would be extremely easy with all the customization options you have at your disposal in all three modes. With the gametypes in matchmaking, that requires you to sink your time into credits, and thus, their rewards.

It's true, Dax. You can level commendations solo, but you won't get the huge amount of credits for it as far as I know.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bobs99 ... said:
Plywood wtf, I think putting your headdown and running for cover is obvious, no ones gonna blame you for copying a pro for doing that.
Delightful Oonsk said:
Eh, it's been around for a long time. I used to do something similar back in CoD2. Strongsiding to me almost seems like an instinct to me rather than trying to implement a tactic.
Eh, it's always been little behaviors/things that cause people to accuse of you trying to be someone else.
Tashi0106 said:
Oh okay, fair enough.

Tashi

Aggrotek said:
I get called out on my Orge twitches. =[
It's habit.

Well that's a little different honestly. It's not really something useful in the game. I do it too sometimes though, it helps just keep my thumbs warmed up I guess. lol

rObit

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Info on this?

was in the BWU

117 Million Daily & Weekly Challenges!

Don’t freak out. Currently, our online engineers project that you’re on pace to hit that milestone sometime in November. I’d wager to guess that you’ll hit it early in the month, but hey, what do I know?

beaten

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
xxjuicesxx said:
So that's what you think, and assume. But since it's completely consistent and they haven't said anything about looking into it it's more likely to be by design. In the beta assists didn't have a time limit, as long as someone had health taken down that you did if they died you got an assist. They obviously looked at it and changed it to how they want.

People have trouble adapting, you in particular. It's a new game, and the mechanic works differently, get used to it. At least the assists are not doled out randomly ala Halo 1.

Aggrotek

Tashi0106 said:
Well that's a little different honestly. It's not really something useful in the game. I do it too sometimes though, it helps just keep my thumbs warmed up I guess. lol
Oh I know. :lol
I do it in every shooter though.
Like I said, it's a habit. The Ghandi hop irritates me the most. I don't know why.

Tashi

Nice job by FB to fight back in the Dynasty series and now to beat Triggers Down 2 straight series'. Awesome

Aggrotek said:
Oh I know. :lol
I do it in every shooter though.
Like I said, it's a habit. The Ghandi hop irritates me the most. I don't know why.

Ghandi hopping is so effective though, it annoys me because I suck at co ordinating and doing it, but always die to ghandi hoppers.

LAUGHTREY said:
So that's what you think, and assume. But since it's completely consistent and they haven't said anything about looking into it it's more likely to be by design. In the beta assists didn't have a time limit, as long as someone had health taken down that you did if they died you got an assist. They obviously looked at it and changed it to how they want.

People have trouble adapting, you in particular. It's a new game, and the mechanic works differently, get used to it. At least the assists are not doled out randomly ala Halo 1.

I hate the 'adapt or die' thing that people say, adapting to the new assist system isnt hard but the system is clearly broken.

Saying be glad it isnt totally broken like a 10 year old game is little consolation lol. At least in Halo 1 assists meant nothing, in Reach theyre integral to the Arena (and to challenges and ranking up in general).

Sai-kun said:
It's true, Dax. You can level commendations solo, but you won't get the huge amount of credits for it as far as I know.
So? Campaign isn't anywhere near as customizable as Firefight and the rest. It takes more effort to go into matchmaking and get together with four people and complete a level than it does to fire a game up solo and do the same thing.

LAUGHTREY said:

I'm one of those players that if I don't get a ton of kills, I give a lot of assist help. If someone is taking players out after the time constraint and I still got their health down, I believe I deserve some credit for that. This is a team game after all is it not? I don't see the point in your argument.

RSB

Banned
Wow Final Boss. They are easily the best Halo 3 team I've ever seen, and their performance today was incredible (I knew that 3-0 from yesterday against Dynasty was just an accident) Congratulations!!!

Bye ;)

Deadly Cyclone said:
Urk, you missed the guy I told you about last week when banning, he was using the network unplug glitch.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=Soul+Reaper28&sg=0

Thanks!

As for the update, no other weapons in Sniper firefight? Boo. :lol
The guy has onyx campaign commendations but has only finished 4 levels of the campaign. :lol
I wonder how many people have the "make it rain" achievement but are missing obvious ones like "finish the 5th level". :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hey You said:
Obviously Bungie wants everyone to become a Lt. Colonel before fixing the challenges. Even the playing field.

Yeah, because Lt. Colonels having extra cosmetic textures on their Spartans puts the lower ranks at a disadvantage.

Holy crap I just played Halo 3 MLG, the sheer number of people in this playlist with personality issues is hilarious. Now that I dont care too much about my rank I might just have fun listening to some of the people in here.

BTW Im playing at low level, I know MLG at high levels usually has pretty well mannered players, at low level its like idiots beating theyre chests trying to be competative. :lol

EDIT: Just had A deranker, a AFKER, a Quitter on my team. WTF :lol This could be like one of those bad 'go into a pub' jokes.

Tashi

bobs99 ... said:
Holy crap I just played Halo 3 MLG, the sheer number of people in this playlist with personality issues is hilarious. Now that I dont care too much about my rank I might just have fun listening to some of the people in here.

BTW Im playing at low level, I know MLG at high levels usually has pretty well mannered players, at low level its like idiots beating theyre chests trying to be competative. :lol

Nope :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom