• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reach doesn't promote winning like it did in the old games. Used to be in Halo 2 friends would actually consider leaving each others rooms or booting people because the losses were dropping their ranks.

In Reach matchmaking there are no levels. If you have some assists and a good kill death ratio then it doesn't really matter if you lose, especially if you're going for a specific challenge and get it.

The Arena system is the same. "Nice job not communicating guys...oh wait...I got my 5500 score...thanks!"

Other than mechanics its why Halo 2 is my favorite of the Halos for multiplayer. Unlike Halo 3 you didn't hit a level 50 in a heartbeat and you knew you had to string together WINS to earn that top prize.

Trasher said:
onyx_large_cqc_multiplayer.png

:lol

I also have 500,000 cR saved up!

Side note: Exterminations are stupid now Bungie. I got two in this game, and never even got an Overkill. 15 second respawn kinda ruins the medal.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=254268783&player=TJ Trasher

I have more. Also how the fuck do you get matched with a player 4 playering it? Does shotgun commendation lower your trueskill or something? (It probably should :lol )

GhaleonEB

SailorDaravon said:
They NEED to stop with the fucking Challenges that require skill that is beyond the average Halo player. I still have a ton of people that have been trying all week and literally cannot get the 30 kills in a match for the weekly. I'm currently losing my fucking mind trying to get the goddamn 5 multikill one, ONLY because you have to do it in one fucking game. It's bullshit, set goals that even someone who sucks at Halo can reach that can be obtained over multiple games or something.
I'm hoping for a change in direction for the weekly challenges; I don't like a weekly challenge that can be done in one game, or is just a grind like the 50 rounds of Firefight one. Some sort of actual challenge that takes a while to accomplish but doesn't cross over into grinding (which Like a Record did sometime around Round 30).

And yeah this is Oni on Legendary for what, the third time?

Though to be clear, it should be a challenge. Nearly every day there's a challenge you can get very easily, just by playing. Those are for the masses. The weekly challenge should be something you spend a week trying to do.

Anyone know if there's a site keeping a cumulative list of the Challenges? If not I might go back through the threads and copy them all out into a spreadsheet.

Trasher

xxjuicesxx said:
I have more. Also how the fuck do you get matched with a player 4 playering it? Does shotgun commendation lower your trueskill or something? (It probably should :lol )
Probably because it's 8am. :lol

Check this game's stats :lol (same four dudes) : http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=254243090&player=TJ Trasher

My team kept letting them score, so towards the end of the game I said "fuck it" and decided to make sure they wouldn't score anymore. My plan worked, but the rest of my team didn't try to score...

Ajemsuhgao said:
I do the challenges because it will bother me if I miss one. Haven't missed a single one yet. :lol

That's what some of my friends are like... When it's a 400 enemy challenge or something they play firefight for an hour straight and then come back saying 'oh man so glad that's over...'. I don't get it. They like getting the challenge not playing the actual game.

Insaniac

I'd really like to see a weekly challenge that promotes custom games, because its so damn hard to get people to play customs some time.

Trasher

Insaniac said:
I'd really like to see a weekly challenge that promotes custom games, because its so damn hard to get people to play customs some time.
I don't see how that would work well at all. =/

Trasher

So here are the two Exterminations I got in that 1 Bomb game. 15 second respawn makes getting them way too easy. =/

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7430489&player=TJ Trasher

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7430498&player=TJ Trasher

Also, what's with the sword only spawning once there is 1:00 minute left in the round? It's not there in the beginning of the round, but it's there at about the 1:10 mark. That's pretty weird.

Here's an Extermination I got two games before against the same awful players. This one was actually done with an Overkill. This is how it should be in order to get an Extermination medal.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7430838&player=TJ Trasher

Neverender said:
Hey would somebody be able to explain why my friend wasn't put in a division? She's got enough games in Doubles as far as I can tell.

B.Net
She has enough games, yeah, but how many days has she placed? Gotta have placements for 10 days. That's all that matters.

Edit: Speaking of medals not working correctly, I just found out that the Hail to the King medal doesn't work as it says. I got the five kills for it in a total of three different hills. The medal says you need five kills before the hill moves. Apparently not. :lol

Neverender said:
That's what some of my friends are like... When it's a 400 enemy challenge or something they play firefight for an hour straight and then come back saying 'oh man so glad that's over...'. I don't get it. They like getting the challenge not playing the actual game.

Well, I don't mind playing Firefight. I enjoy it most of the time. I've never gone out of my way to get any of the challenges. Except Campaign ones, but, they're usually pretty enjoyable.

Only ones I find extremely annoying are the "Get *number* of *whatevers* in a single game." Usually pretty annoying. :lol

Love when 6 teammates quit in Big Team Battle within the first 2 minutes. What do you guys do in a horrible situation like that? Do you slog it out for the match or just quit?

After getting destroyed by vehicles for a few minutes I quit about halfway through the match.

This is a bit OT, but does anyone want to go old school and play some Halo 3 this weekend? Dexp is Team Flag and I love that playlist. Unfortunatly its not much fun solo.

Im thinking it might be fun to play a bunch of games of flag and then jump onto Reach, is anyone up for it?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Sir Garbageman said:
Love when 6 teammates quit in Big Team Battle within the first 2 minutes. What do you guys do in a horrible situation like that? Do you slog it out for the match or just quit?

After getting destroyed by vehicles for a few minutes I quit about halfway through the match.

I just quit. It isn't any fun for anyone at that point. I do that in any game mode when everyone on my team quits.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
does anyone feel like making a concerted effort to do the ONI challenge this afternoon? I've been trying with randoms but they are frustratingly inconsistent and un-fun to play with. I'll be on for the next hour or so at least, GT is Jedeye Sniv. Hit me up yo!

Jedeye Sniv said:
does anyone feel like making a concerted effort to do the ONI challenge this afternoon? I've been trying with randoms but they are frustratingly inconsistent and un-fun to play with. I'll be on for the next hour or so at least, GT is Jedeye Sniv. Hit me up yo!
I may be able to do it sometime later today. Around 4 pm EST.

TommyT

Sir Garbageman said:

I will usually hide in a place that vehicles can't really touch you and just camp. Make them come looking for you and kill whomever does. Then hide in a spot that covers where you were hiding in the first place to kill him when he comes back (maybe with a friend for a nice double kill). Rinse and repeat. :lol

Letters said:
friend request sent
:lol

Gui_PT

Jedeye Sniv said:

I can help you out. I already got it, so I can just go ahead and kill everyone while you stay back.

Speaking of Big Team, I'm not playing it again until the DLC comes out. And that's all because of one map: Hemorrhage.

I play a game of Hemorrhage, the game starts, and the other team drives their warthog over and takes some of our vehicles – revenants, ghosts, etc. This dooms my team from the start. The guys in the vehicles are able to hang back because the area around the bases are so large, forcing my team to spawn either in the base or out in the open: either situation doesn't help me nor my team. This allows their sniper to get across the map, get on the ledge to the left of our base and start sniping...joy. Yeah, we were eventually able to overcome them, but not before the game's fate was already decided. We lost that game within the first thirty seconds.

Yeah...broken map is broken. Let's hope Bungie puts out Valhalla asap. Hopefully the next map pack.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks GUi but I'm making decent progress solo now. Stole a wraith at the start so now i'm holding the covies hack at arm length like fighting a midget. Good times :lol

squidhands said:
This is very good to know.

Just beat the level and I can confirm it does work, no more long hours of having to play the whole level a few times over and over again.

No more repeat of "push back the attack on Sword Base". :/

Numpt3

CrazedArabMan said:
Wow, so I didn't realize that if you die, you can save and quit and go back into the last checkpoint, and the challenge is still active. :lol

What? Really?

Edit: Well I think i'l do the challenge now then. :lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hugbot said:
:lol This is the best challenge now

No, it still sucks but now it's actually achievable... finsihed mine just a sec ago. I must be too used to playing this mission co-op, because once I got to sword base it was a piece of cake. I was waiting for the fuel rod elite to make my life a misery but he didn't even show up. Disappoin-ton.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thagomizer said:

Wow that's some damn good work. I wonder what his speed is like?

Speaking of comics, I just read the new issue of the Fall of Reach adaptation. All in all it was pretty good. The art is a little scratchy for my tastes but it manages to capture the sense that these are very little children being very badass, so it does the job. I like how it's been re-structured from the novel where the insurrectionist subplot is now weaving its way through the whole book. Anyone else reading?

LosDaddie

Banned
Gui_PT said:
More than a Handful - 750cR

Kill 77 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking

Covenant-cide - 1000cR

Kill 90 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

Office of Not Dying - 4000cR

Complete ONI on Legendary without dying

Fourth Horseman - 1200cR

Earn 5 multikills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game

Well, I was disappointed in the Challenges today since I WILL NOT waste another 1.5hrs trying to survive a campaign mission on Legendary, but then I read this:

CrazedArabMan said:
Wow, so I didn't realize that if you die, you can save and quit and go back into the last checkpoint, and the challenge is still active. :lol

No shit? This really works?

How does it work? Like this?:
  • Start ONI on Legendary
  • Eventually die
  • Respawn
  • Select "Save and Quit"
  • Select "Resume Solo Campaign"

Rinse & Repeat until the mission is done?

EDIT: Also, will you unlock the avatar helmet too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom