• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
divisionbyzorro said:
The game tells you what control scheme your opponents are using? News to me...

Actually is not that hard to guess, maybe you could try it... If you see a guy jumping around and putting shots on your head at the same time there's no other option than bumper-jumper, that or you are capable of aiming, strafing and pressing the A button at the same time. In that case post a picture of your hands please :)

molekiller said:
Actually is not that hard to guess, maybe you could try it... If you see a guy jumping around and putting shots on your head at the same time there's no other option than bumper-jumper, that or you are capable of aiming, strafing and pressing the A button at the same time. In that case post a picture of your hands please :)

Claw.

chess said:
Bungie, please at least try a classic halo play list. Use community remakes of all the great halo maps if you need to. No abilities, camo/overshield on appropriate maps. 4v4 slayer and ctf mix. Old school! I think you would be surprised at how many play it.

I would play it! There are a ton of Forge remakes, and quite frankly a lot of them play better than the Halo Reach maps, excluding them when they were good enough for older games is a mistake.

Infact forge remakes for classic maps should go in all playlists!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
these kids want MLG to adopt a needle rifle starting weapon with 110% damage because they don't like the DMR spread, but are perfectly fine with the super-combine explosion, wider grenades and rockets, and snipers that take you down to 1 health bar.

Sometimes I wonder why MLG gets so much ire from the community at large, and then I go to their forums and wonder why I forgot at all.

chess

bobs99 ... said:
I would play it! There are a ton of Forge remakes, and quite frankly a lot of them play better than the Halo Reach maps, excluding them when they were good enough for older games is a mistake.

Infact forge remakes for classic maps should go in all playlists!

But classic maps really work well with classic gameplay. Halo used to be about out shooting people. Team and individual. Now the skill is ability timing/use. I realize this is still a skill but it's not halo. It's not about who can shoot better. The movement abilities just change map design/flow. They still promote better shooting. However I'm willing to part with them completely to remove all abilites. Armor lock and bubble are the major issues. Just like the bubble in halo 3. It completely changes halo. It's like who can better plan their use/timing of the crutch rather than being a better shot or getting the drop on someone. Completely changes halo and ruins the game for the classic fans. I was excited to see slayer pro in arena, but sadly they left in the part that breaks halo gameplay, armor lock.

I guess the MLG list will be the closest we ever get. :(

CartridgeBlower said:
Haven't played much Halo multiplayer since 3, so I'm just getting back to it and doing surprisingly well.

The thing is, though, does EVERYONE jump now? Is this considered a legit strategy? I know it's been around forever, but it seems like it is now rampant. I'm kind of trying not to do it because I think it's cheap, but maybe I'm wrong on that. What's the community's thought?
Yeah its been that way, always. Since halo 1 people have been doing it. It's as important as strafing.

And arena is finally fun. I was pissed that they left al in there but its not as useful when people are working together in arena. Looks like I wont be playing in the team slayer playlist anymore other than to warmup. Death to armor abilities!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
cuevas said:
Yeah its been that way, always. Since halo 1 people have been doing it. It's as important as strafing.

Ehhhhhh

what?

Strafing is random and if you do it right you can confuse a person. If I see someone jumping they're going in a easily determined path. Up, and then down.

chase

I think they need to change jumping in SWAT. Doesn't seem to me to fit in with the idea of that gametype. Oh, and get rid of Armor Lock in multi-team while they're at it.

LAUGHTREY said:
Ehhhhhh

what?

Strafing is random and if you do it right you can confuse a person. If I see someone jumping they're going in a easily determined path. Up, and then down.
I usually only jump once in a fight, and it's usually to finish killing a guy when its a close fight or if he got the jump on me to throw his aim off. If its the former by the time I land they should be dead or I did something wrong. My strafing is a little random but I adjust a lot to cover and where others are around me.

chess said:
But classic maps really work well with classic gameplay. Halo used to be about out shooting people. Team and individual. Now the skill is ability timing/use. I realize this is still a skill but it's not halo. It's not about who can shoot better. The movement abilities just change map design/flow. They still promote better shooting. However I'm willing to part with them completely to remove all abilites. Armor lock and bubble are the major issues. Just like the bubble in halo 3. It completely changes halo. It's like who can better plan their use/timing of the crutch rather than being a better shot or getting the drop on someone. Completely changes halo and ruins the game for the classic fans. I was excited to see slayer pro in arena, but sadly they left in the part that breaks halo gameplay, armor lock.

Good. It means theres more to the gameplay than who's best with the pistol.

Why do people want one-dimensional gameplay?

chess said:
I can't say I'd be tired of the same Halo gameplay after four iterations (I lurvs me some Haloz), but I do apprecuate Bungie's desire to evolve the standard Halo formula.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
divisionbyzorro said:
671x2.jpg

chess said:

Well some people have managed to make game settings which come close to Halo 3 - I didnt want to mention it because im sure I would have just triggered 'go play halo 3', but classic maps with classic settings would be ace in my opinion. Imagine if the voting screen has a Halo 1 map, a Halo 2 map and a Halo 3 map, and each one has the correct game settings for the map. I.E. the Halo 1 maps would come complete with settings tweaked to play like Halo 1. A classic playlist would be awesome.

Even if a classic playlist existed theres no reason why classic maps shouldnt be in all playlists. :D

Out of interest, I just went on Halo 3 Snipes and got a whopping 1 kill all game. :lol

bobs99 ... said:
Well some people have managed to make game settings which come close to Halo 3 - I didnt want to mention it because im sure I would have just triggered 'go play halo 3', but classic maps with classic settings would be ace in my opinion. Imagine if the voting screen has a Halo 1 map, a Halo 2 map and a Halo 3 map, and each one has the correct game settings for the map. I.E. the Halo 1 maps would come complete with settings tweaked to play like Halo 1. A classic playlist would be awesome.

Even if a classic playlist existed theres no reason why classic maps shouldnt be in all playlists. :D

Out of interest, I just went on Halo 3 Snipes and got a whopping 1 kill all game. :lol
It's easier to snipe in Reach than in Halo 3.

Dax01 said:
It's easier to snipe in Reach than in Halo 3.

Yeah, I think my problem was going straight into matchmaking against like 50's in Snipes, I get the feeling this time next week I will be like half my rank. :lol

LAUGHTREY said:
Maybe not so much easier as the bullets just actually register more often in Reach.

Im wary to blame lag, I did get some shot through the wall moments, but thats usual on Halo 3, I think I just suck after not playing for so long. That said Reach's netcode is miles better than 3's, every game I play feels laggy.

Ramirez said:
Some people dislike random outcomes.
How does jumping result in a random outcome? It's not like rolling a dice. I jump out from behind a corner, you expect me to be at eye-level and panic as you move your cursor up, and I pop you in the head. It's not random at all.

Having said that, I am not a bunny-hopper in Halo. I got owned by one severely last night in Team SWAT, which was very frustrating, but I can't chalk it up to anything other than this person was playing better than me.

chess

DJ Lushious said:
I can't say I'd be tired of the same Halo gameplay after four iterations (I lurvs me some Haloz), but I do apprecuate Bungie's desire to evolve the standard Halo formula.

I agree and would think we could have both. :D

chess

bobs99 ... said:

lol, yeah don't say halo 3! Ugh, I'm a CE lover. Came up with some custom settings to almost match it but unfortunately to bring back the 3 shot makes nades and rockets like nukes!

PsychoRaven said:
Ok. WTF did I miss? Frankie committed account suicide? How? Why?
Plywood said:
No, he'll be back sooner rather than later.
I sure hope so. The reasoning behind his ban was definitely personal. That's beside the point, though.

When the heck do I unlock the Mark VI helmet?! I'm saving up all of my credits for that and the Gold visor. 320,000cr and counting!

chess

DJ Lushious said:
How does jumping result in a random outcome? It's not like rolling a dice. I jump out from behind a corner, you expect me to be at eye-level and panic as you move your cursor up, and I pop you in the head. It's not random at all.

Having said that, I am not a bunny-hopper in Halo. I got owned by one severely last night in Team SWAT, which was very frustrating, but I can't chalk it up to anything other than this person was playing better than me.

we was talking about armor lock and reach gameplay compared to halo gameplay.

I hate to say it but this game is boring.

Its a shame that I have to buy a new map pack for a tiny boost in map count when there are literally hundreds of maps that should be put into matchmaking.

It's been almost two months, this sucks :(

darthbob

DJ Lushious said:
I sure hope so. The reasoning behind his ban was definitely personal. That's beside the point, though.

When the heck do I unlock the Mark VI helmet?! I'm saving up all of my credits for that and the Gold visor. 320,000cr and counting!

Oberst, bruder.

Colonel
:D

chess said:
we was talking about armor lock and reach gameplay compared to halo gameplay.
That makes more sense. The armor abilities and "Reach gameplay" can only be explained by this being "Halo: Reach" and not "Halo 4." Who knows what 343 Industries will bring to the table? Certainly we'll never know, now that Frankie's banned. :'(

StUnNeR H2K

I've seen elites evade rockets, grunts dive out of the way and skirmishers run out of the way, but yesterday in Firefight I saw a hunter swing its shield-side arm at my rocket and bat it away like a baseball.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DJ Lushious said:

DJ Lushious said:
That makes more sense. The armor abilities and "Reach gameplay" can only be explained by this being "Halo: Reach" and not "Halo 4." Who knows what 343 Industries will bring to the table? Certainly we'll never know, now that Frankie's banned. :'(
He'll be back, Amir0x already said he will be, Frankie himself had literally said something along the lines of "I'm committing account suicide". Amir0x deleted the post, but gave him a temp ban, nothing to worry about.

Lead Based Paint said:
I hate to say it but this game is boring.

Its a shame that I have to buy a new map pack for a tiny boost in map count when there are literally hundreds of maps that should be put into matchmaking.

It's been almost two months, this sucks :(

I actually sort of agree. I can't play more than 2 matches before I get bored... unless I'm playing with a full team of friends... Then I can play all night and not get bored.

Plywood said:
Frankie himself had literally said something along the lines of "I'm committing account suicide
Isn't that no different than colorfully expressing "you're not going to like what I have to say, but it needs to be said?"

An article on Bungie.Net proclaimed that
we’re introducing huge Credit Jackpots for players who routinely finish their games.

So, that's why I'm getting 694cr for a Team Slayer game and not the normal ~400cr. :lol

-Yeti said:
I actually sort of agree. I can't play more than 2 matches before I get bored... unless I'm playing with a full team of friends... Then I can play all night and not get bored.
That's how I was feeling yesterday. I played for about two hours, on and off, but just wasn't feeling Halo: Reach. Granted, I was coming from Metal Gear Solid 3 each time, so I think that was partly to blame (MGS3 has its hooks in me... again). None of my friends were playign Halo each time, otherwise I would've shelved MGS for the evening.

LosDaddie

Banned
Photolysis said:
Mark VI requires Brigadier and costs 300K cR

Yeah, as soon as I found this out, I stopped saving for it. My ideal armor (once I hit Lt. Colonel) will be the Mark V helmet, the robot arm and the confetti effect. I'm only Capt. Grade 2, so I still have a ways. Just bought the confetti effect though.:D

GhaleonEB

DJ Lushious said:
An article on Bungie.Net proclaimed that

So, that's why I'm getting 694cr for a Team Slayer game and not the normal ~400cr. :lol
It's probably because you ranked up a bit. As you level up in rank, you earn more credits for each game. It's most clear in customs, where my cap has gone from 50 to 60 to 70 to 80 cR as I upped ranks. But in Firefight I now push 1,100 per game total, when it was 700 cR per game a few weeks ago. The game complete bonus levels up with you.
WJD said:
Fuck democracy.
I had that same thought last night.

WJD

What's changed in the past month?

I was absolutely loving multiplayer up until FIFA.

I come back and I fucking hate it. I rarely find a decent map/gametype. Every single map that comes up seems to be something from Forge World and games in general just become a big frustrating clusterfuck.

Photolysis said:
Mark VI requires Brigadier and costs 300K cR
I'm only 1 million cR away, wooooooh.

WJD said:
People have had an extra month to practice while you haven't.

Domino Theory said:
Last night I got 7,875cR just from a Slot Machine after one game.

Thank you, Jackpot! :D
I was excited about my 777 that happened once... :(

NH Apache

Banned
WJD said:

I was absolutely loving multiplayer up until FIFA.

I come back and I fucking hate it. I rarely find a decent map/gametype. Every single map that comes up seems to be something from Forge World and games in general just become a big frustrating clusterfuck.

What playlist are you in? Change it up.

Domino Theory said:
Last night I got 7,875cR just from a Slot Machine after one game.

Thank you, Jackpot! :D

I played for some hours last night and didn't see any bonuses over 100 Cr. FML. In other news, finally made Lt. Colonel. Blacked out EVA with crossbar FTMFW.

Of course, I would post a pic of it, but according to Bungie.net, I'm still rocking the Recon from Day 1.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Ghaleon, have you continued with Crossroads Small? Or has that been discarded all together?

Read your article...pretty good.
I stopped working on it, but took a few of the lessons from it and am trying to apply them to the current map. In particular, I'm condensing and improving the base design, both for infantry and so vehicles can get around it better, and layering in some side routes for infantry to crisscross the map on routes that aren't tethered to the main roads. Streamlining (and at the same time, improving) the bases and surrounding area is netting me $1,000 in budget. Solutions may include bridges, buildings, man cannons and/or teleporters. Once I'm through with the base rebuild tonight I'm going to explore a bunch of options.

And thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom