• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
NullPointer said:
I don't experience the lag that others consistently complain about. Although I run into framerate problems on Glacier as expected. Also keep "good connection" as my go to preference in that mode. But at the very least the lag shouldn't be any worse since the player count in Firefight versus is the same. 2 on 2.

I'm just looking for something to keep the game fresh, and I had no idea when I bought Reach that Firefight Versus would languish in some limbo zone.
Well you also have to take into account the syncing of all the enemy AI as well, something you don't have in versus.

Edit: never mind I misunderstood everything I think

Just finished reading the re-issue of The Flood. I enjoyed it, if only for the supplemental material (McKay, Jenkins, Yayap and Zuka Zamamee). I mainly skimmed through the parts that just retold the game, and thanks the way Dietz breaks his paragraphs, finding the supplemental material was pretty easy.

Looking forward to First Strike!

Ramirez

Neuromancer said:
Well you also have to take into account the syncing of all the enemy AI as well, something you don't have in versus.

Um, the Elites are the only thing player controlled, so there would still be grunts, jackals, etc. running around.

Ramirez said:
http://kenerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/500x_reggie_not_my_problem.jpg

You are a Colonel grade 2, it scales with your rank. I used to get like 500ish but when I became a major I started to get around 700ish.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I definately lucked out on the frame rate issue. My love of big maps spread things out enough that it didn't strike. It's something I'm keen to avoid on map #2 as well, since it's much smaller and will have some dense geometry in the middle (currently dubbed, Beached).
It seems that lights (and the pieces that have lights embedded in them) are a huge part of the problem if you have a lot of objects occupying a relatively small space. Bridge, XL are a particularly evil culprit.

Neuromancer said:
Wait. Isn't Firefight versus basically the same as standard Firefight, only 2 on 2, with 2 spartans and 2 elites? I thought all the enemy AI were still there, just with actual players as elites leading squads instead of AI.

Ramirez said:
Um, the Elites are the only thing player controlled, so there would still be grunts, jackals, etc. running around.
Yeah, this.

Gui_PT said:
I'm a ridiculously average player. He's complaining about getting few credits when he apparently doesn't do very well to get more than that.

I can't get a breakdown of the game I'm talking about but anyway as I say, I got a full page of (multiple) medals, garnering around 300cR for the game, less than 100cR for commendations, 250cR for medals and 84cR on the slot machine (for a BIG bonus). That was a pretty good game (that you seem to be ignoring). Given that the TS kill limit is set at 50, what do I do here? I don't set the kill limit.

Gui_PT said:
What's worse is that it seems he's placing more importance on credit gaining than actually having fun.

As fun as Halo's core gameplay is I would like some form of progression to tell me how well I'm doing. When I play well (subjective, of course) and I don't get rewarded for it, it frustrates me greatly.
It's impossible to ignore the credits system; even if you're not unlocking anything it's directly linked to ranking up. How do you propose ranking up without the credit system? If I want to rank up, I have to earn credits, which introduces a grind to an extent regardless. Progression is good. What I don't want is a fucking rabbit hole.

(although if you want to go down that route, yes, the fact that I'm paying for a game and I'm never going to see all of what it has to offer pisses me off, regardless of whether it takes 2 weeks or two years. If you're going to do this kind of system, do it properly.)

Dirtbag said:
So Frankie got banned? Like seriously? Unless it was some sort of Dyack type thing, that seems ridiculous to me.

It was temporary. The fact that it has been said multiple times in the past 2 pages and no one reads it is ridiculous to me.

Dirtbag said:
So Frankie got banned? Like seriously? Unless it was some sort of Dyack type thing, that seems ridiculous to me.

Short Ban, according to amirox it was for some MS Bias in the Kinect thread. The post that got him banned was deleted though.

It's not a long ban apparently.

Dirtbag

electricpirate said:
Short Ban, according to amirox it was for some MS Bias in the Kinect thread. The post that got him banned was deleted though.

It's not a long ban apparently.
That's the mod who's all pro-drugs right?

FourDoor

cuevas said:
You are a Colonel grade 2, it scales with your rank. I used to get like 500ish but when I became a major I started to get around 700ish.

I was excited too yesterday thinking I would be getting 1-2k cR per game with Urk's tease about the bonus credits. But I was getting around 600-700 on average.

I had a WTF moment when my friends who were higher ranks than me said they were getting like 1.5k per game and I was getting only 700 but yet I was doing just as well or better than them in the same game.

The poor stay poor and the rich get richer!!! :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Managed to get the flight helmet last night finally. :)

On average I get about 900-1000 points per game if I do decent. Hope the non-quit jackpot happens soon.

LosDaddie

Banned
PalaceBrother said:
What mode are you getting 1k on? I also like filling bars.

We're both at Captain, but I'm slightly ahead right now at Grade 2. And checking your b.net profile, I've also played less games than you. (My Bungie profile)

But when I play, I usually go for the Firefight challenges first, then I'll jump into MP. I LOVE the fact that I can play for about 40min on a weeknight (like last night) and get around 4k Cr because of the challenges.

As far as my 1k Cr games go; Usually Multi-Team, or Invasion, or Rumble Pit to get that high of a Cr total. I believe that in Team Slayer and SWAT modes I get the least amount.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Dirtbag said:
No this is ridiculous.

FreeFrank.jpg

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
SailorDaravon said:
What the fuck, I've played literally hundreds of games in a row without quitting now, and I've gotten 777 twice and that's it (and both of those were weeks ago).

Urrrrrrrrk!

My guess on the algorithm for the Jackpot. It's either:

a) your completing-to-quitting ratio

or

b) the longer you go consecutively without quitting a game, the higher your probability of getting a large jackpot goes up and once you do quit, that probability drops significantly.

Ramirez said:
The game hasn't even been out 2 months, give me a break. They've already added 2 Forge maps and 3 more official maps will be out by the end of the month. Once that forge contest is done, you're probably going to see another 4-5+ maps join the fold.

What gametypes are missing? You have freaking playlists dedicated to Living Dead/SWAT/Snipers, all of which took forever to happen in Halo 3, 1 of them just being a weekend playlist through the entirety of its life.

I mean, if you're going to complain, at least make it about problems that are actually there.

Great gameplay will never get stale, if it does, then it must not have been that great to you in the first place.

There a lot of gametypes missing.

Correct Objective Gametypes
Correct Infection Gametypes and Maps
Actual Race Gametypes and Maps

2 maps is absolutely nothing; I play nothing but objective and Arena and I have seen cliffhanger Once.

And don't tell the map pack is a good addition; I have to pay for it. The first map pack should be free considering how awful the variety is now.

2 months is a long time and if its such a big time investment, then they should have put a separate team to do so in the first Month after release.

And your last sentence is a bunch of bullshit tripe. If you play the same maps (many of which are just okay) over and over again; all while knowing that there is a multitude of maps just sitting there waiting or "Being Tested", its gonna get boring.

I am as big of a Bungie fanboy as anyone, but the little mistakes and lack of any progress in adding variety is getting old. I shouldn't have to wait till months after release to want to play again.

I'd rather say something about it than just pretend that its not issue and act like its perfect.

MrBig said:
I play btb, invasion, and multi team, and consistently get >1k. Usually anywhere from 800 - 1500 per game.
I also average at around 20 kills per game.

Longer games usually get you more cR, like btb games tend to be.

Your profile says you average 13.53 Kills/Game

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Did anyone else get their campaign progress erased by the dashboard update? I go into campaign to do the challenge on Exodus, and it only lists Noble Actual as available and not having been completed. Pretty strange since nothing went missing on my hard drive in terms of file count.

LosDaddie said:
We're both at Captain, but I'm slightly ahead right now at Grade 2. And checking your b.net profile, I've also played less games than you. (My Bungie profile)

But when I play, I usually go for the Firefight challenges first, then I'll jump into MP. I LOVE the fact that I can play for about 40min on a weeknight (like last night) and get around 4k Cr because of the challenges.

As far as my 1k Cr games go; Usually Multi-Team, or Invasion, or Rumble Pit to get that high of a Cr total. I believe that in Team Slayer and SWAT modes I get the least amount.

I almost never do Firefight challenges, I should give them a shot. I also pretty much stick to Team Slayer & SWAT. Time to branch out-thanks!

Ramirez

Lead Based Paint said:
There a lot of gametypes missing.

Correct Objective Gametypes
Correct Infection Gametypes and Maps
Actual Race Gametypes and Maps

2 maps is absolutely nothing; I play nothing but objective and Arena and I have seen cliffhanger Once.

And don't tell the map pack is a good addition; I have to pay for it. The first map pack should be free considering how awful the variety is now.

2 months is a long time and if its such a big time investment, then they should have put a separate team to do so in the first Month after release.

And your last sentence is a bunch of bullshit tripe. If you play the same maps (many of which are just okay) over and over again; all while knowing that there is a multitude of maps just sitting there waiting or "Being Tested", its gonna get boring.

I am as big of a Bungie fanboy as anyone, but the little mistakes and lack of any progress in adding variety is getting old. I shouldn't have to wait till months after release to want to play again.

I'd rather say something about it than just pretend that its not issue and act like its perfect.

:lol

Why are you entitled to anything?

As far as what is "correct" for a gametype, it is SO different for everyone they will never please each person. I feel they have struck quite a good balance, Arena is all Pro all the time now, they would have never did anything like that for Halo 3.

Slayer and Obj. have enough variety to keep them interesting. Are they perfect? No, but I've seen more progress in these 2 months then I saw in the entire life span of Halo 3 as far as matchmaking updates go.

zumphry

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
I will snipe you from a thousand valhallas with that thing.

Pepsi is all over my keyboard now.
GhaleonEB said:
I had that same thought last night.
Yup.
Dax01 said:
Just finished reading the re-issue of The Flood. I enjoyed it, if only for the supplemental material (McKay, Jenkins, Yayap and Zuka Zamamee). I mainly skimmed through the parts that just retold the game, and thanks the way Dietz breaks his paragraphs, finding the supplemental material was pretty easy.

Looking forward to First Strike!
Being poor sucks. :(
and those guys at halopedia just spend all day finding connections to 7 in everything

Ramirez said:

As far as what is "correct" for a gametype, it is SO different for everyone they will never please each person. I feel they have struck quite a good balance, Arena is all Pro all the time now, they would have never did anything like that for Halo 3.

Slayer and Obj. have enough variety to keep them interesting. Are they perfect? No, but I've seen more progress in these 2 months then I saw in the entire life span of Halo 3 as far as matchmaking updates go.
Sure, these updates are nice and have certainly breathed some life into the launch's stale modes.

However, I don't see how anyone can make the argument that Reach has a stellar map collection. Compare it against any other Halo game and it's even more frustrating. Not to mention that the maps are, literally, pulled straight out of campaign maps. Sure, things have gotten better with the Forge maps being added into the playlists, but I think the OP has a point with his statement about the maps. The Noble Map Pack for free would be sweet.

ZayneH said:
and those guys at halopedia just spend all day finding connections to 7 in everything
Yeah. Do you know that tomorrow is the 11.04.10?
1+1+4+1=7. Think about it.

I know its mind-blowing.

Gui_PT said:
Well, if my job was making maps for a videogame, I'd love for them to be free.
Now one can only reminisce about the good ol' days of Doom, Quake, and Duke Nukem 3D, when you could just wave a stick and hit about 50 free maps with each swipe.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ramirez said:

The entitlement is wrong, but the lack of map variation becomes more apparent by the day.

Side note: Atom and Cliffhanger are perhaps the shittiest maps I've ever had the honour (punishment?) of playing.

So, Bungie...

Why can players grief me by blowing up my Wraith in Firefight, even with friendly fire disabled?

(Yes, it was clearly deliberate, some fucking pricks took exception to me using one and deliberately blew my Wraith up)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Photolysis said:
So, Bungie...

Why can players grief me by blowing up my Wraith in Firefight, even with friendly fire disabled?

(Yes, it was clearly deliberate, some fucking pricks took exception to me using one and deliberately blew my Wraith up)

Firefight is the least cooperative CO-OP mode ever. I'm going to take a wild guess they could still get a 1000+ points for destroying it even if it had been taken from the enemy. If not, than yeah, he was just being a dick.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Photolysis said:
So, Bungie...

You're complaining and demanding answers of the developers because some internet teen made your virtual alien tank go bang?
:lol :lol

You on drugs, mate?

Caramell_Dansen___Chief__by_dragonsmoke.gif

U crazy enzo atom rawks :) cliffside sucks though.

Re free maps in doom and duke, how many of those were from the developers? How many were new projects with totally hand built geometry and textures? Those were only slightly harder to build than forge maps, and like forge maps there was a huge deluge of them, mostly shitty. Bungie is actually spending time to vet forge maps (through forgetacular now other methods later) , and add them to the rotation. You dont pay a dime, but bungie is dropping real man hours into that process.

So yea, free content, you are getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom