• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why For?

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
To be honest, im sitting back and just wondering what the designers at 343 Industries thinks of it. I REALLY hope they stick with the timeline and try and have some continiuty between Halo 3 and Halo 4. After all wasnt the tech behind armour lock lost after Reach fell. :lol

Once I saw who MS were poaching for 343, I was convinced their first Halo game would outshine anything Bungie had put together, at least for Single Player anyway.

Why For? said:
Once I saw who MS were poaching for 343, I was convinced their first Halo game would outshine anything Bungie had put together, at least for Single Player anyway.

I dont know if thats fair to say, Bungie have done a pretty good job these past 10 years with Halo. I dont find Reach as much fun as older Halo so im kind of nervously anticipating 343's offering but Reach had a good enough Campaign to make me happy on that front, although I do think in some ways it was a missed opportunity to tie into the fiction just that little more.

As for Multiplayer, for me nothing with top Halo 1, 2 and 3. Im sure 343's next offering will keep in line with the new Reach stuff, so im kinda doubting anything with outshine the experiences ive had on those 3 games. To be fair that goes for all other developers, halo has been a huge timesink for me, dragging me back when brilliant other games have come out, if 343 can make a game that does the same - I will be pleasantly suprised.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Why For? said:
This is how I feel, also because no one knows what to expect from 343i which I think allows for a different kind of freedom for them in choosing what they want in the game and how the game will play.

Why are you entitled to anything?

Because I should expect from a AAA developer with the third game in the series? How about that.

As far as what is "correct" for a gametype, it is SO different for everyone they will never please each person.

As far as your objective gametypes argument goes, you are wrong. There are some maps and gametypes that are just plain incorrect.

Slayer and Obj. have enough variety to keep them interesting. Are they perfect? No, but I've seen more progress in these 2 months then I saw in the entire life span of Halo 3 as far as matchmaking updates go.

Thats an awful excuse considering how bad playlist management and forge map implementation was in Halo 3. I shouldn't have to settle with going from shitty to less shitty.

I feel they have struck quite a good balance, Arena is all Pro all the time now, they would have never did anything like that for Halo 3.

I never mentioned Arena. I don't have problems with the super lazy easy to implement Playlists like Arena, Slayer, Swat, and Snipers.

I mentioned the playlists that actually require some good thought and design decisions that are seriously being just left behind and overlooked.

Its not ok to just through defualt maps into Infection and call it a day, Its not ok to put AR starts on Hemmorage in Objective, its not ok to put 3 second respawn on territories, its not ok for Crazy King to be only 30 secs of hill. And this is just off the top of my head.

Its not that hard, so stop defending shittiness.

Why For?

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
I dont know if thats fair to say, Bungie have done a pretty good job these past 10 years with Halo. I dont find Reach as much fun as older Halo so im kind of nervously anticipating 343's offering but Reach had a good enough Campaign to make me happy on that front, although I do think in some ways it was a missed opportunity to tie into the fiction just that little more.

As for Multiplayer, for me nothing with top Halo 1, 2 and 3. Im sure 343's next offering will keep in line with the new Reach stuff, so im kinda doubting anything with outshine the experiences ive had on those 3 games. To be fair that goes for all other developers, halo has been a huge timesink for me, dragging me back when brilliant other games have come out, if 343 can make a game that does the same - I will be pleasantly suprised.

I think you're reading my post as saying everything Bungie has done sucks. Quite the opposite. Halo CE is still in my all time Top 3.

I just think, as Plywood mentioned, 343 will have a certain freedom with the game Bungie doesn't technically have. Yet at the same time, will adhere for closer to the canon than Bungie has, which means they can technically please a lot more people than Bungie has with Halo 3/ODST and Reach.

As to the multiplayer, I'm not sure which route they'll go. Stick with the groundwork Bungie has laid? or go in their own direction?

Personally I think Halo 3 had it right in all but ONE aspect.

I loved that your rank was punished for losses, except I hated having a different rank for each game type. I can understand WHY it was made that way, I just didn't care for it.

But in Halo 3, if you saw someone with a high level, it meant they were actually good. In Reach/MW/MW2/WaW, a high rank can technically just mean you play a SHITLOAD of MP as opposed to actually being any good.

Ramirez

Lead Based Paint said:
As far as your objective gametypes argument goes, you are wrong. There are some maps and gametypes that are just plain incorrect.

It's an opinion, it can't be wrong. I'm baffled that people actually enjoy Grifball and Infection, they're the epitome of stupid to me, but people actually like them. The gametypes/maps that you feel are incorrect are probably some guys favorite in the game.

One day I complain too much, the next day I'm defending crappy Bungie decisions. You guys need to make up your minds. :lol

If the game is crap, quit playing it, simple solution really. Despite all of the problems I have with the game, I still enjoy it immensely with friends.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lead Based Paint said:
I never mentioned Arena. I don't have problems with the super lazy easy to implement Playlists like Arena, Slayer, Swat, and Snipers.

I mentioned the playlists that actually require some good thought and design decisions that are seriously being just left behind and overlooked.

Its not ok to just through defualt maps into Infection and call it a day, Its not ok to put AR starts on Hemmorage in Objective, its not ok to put 3 second respawn on territories, its not ok for Crazy King to be only 30 secs of hill. And this is just off the top of my head.

Yes it is. This is essential to the part of Crazy King that is the craziness. Its a stupid fun mode, and is executed as such, and is successful at such. Quite successful.

You may even say, crazily successful.

So what does everyone think of Countdown? I think it's the most solid map as of now. Lots of entrances and exits and good flow. Spawning in multiteam is a bit wonky especially in the beginning when a team spawns in the sights of 2 other teams. But other than that, I really enjoy the map.

bobs99 ... said:
armour lock lost after Reach fell.

If true, I can see why the Covenant did what they did, and I agree with them.

Grimm Fandango said:
So what does everyone think of Countdown? I think it's the most solid map as of now. Lots of entrances and exits and good flow. Spawning in multiteam is a bit wonky especially in the beginning when a team spawns in the sights of 2 other teams. But other than that, I really enjoy the map.

I like the map a lot. In my top 3 as far as maps packed with Reach, for sure.

feel

^ I like it too now. I think I really like every non-forgeworld map (hurry up map pack #2 with some more 4v4 original maps!), and asylum is passable.

I wish people would channel the hate towards the damn camo-sniper or the rooftop-jetpacker. Now these are annoying. Some invincible immobile dude is nothing in comparison, just use your brain instead of standing there looking and cursing at him.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Which had one good BTB map until Avalanche got released. Two solid BTB maps in its three year life cycle. Rather disappointing, especially after having 5+ awesome ones for Halo 2.
Not to start this again, but I enjoyed Valhalla, Sandtrap and Last Resort (in that order) from the shipping game, and always have. And with DLC, Standoff, Rat's Nest (<3) and Avalanche. All very good maps.

At any rate, there are zero BTB or Invasion maps I like right now, which is why I don't play multiplayer. I have high hopes for the Noble map pack and community content.

GhaleonEB said:
At any rate, there are zero BTB or Invasion maps I like right now, which is why I don't play multiplayer. I have high hopes for the Noble map pack and community content.
The selection truly is bad. It feels like the current maps hold back the overall quality of Reach's gameplay.

Looking forward to the dlc and forgeworld additions into multiplayer. They can't come soon enough.

vhfive

enzo_gt said:
Yes it is. This is essential to the part of Crazy King that is the craziness. Its a stupid fun mode, and is executed as such, and is successful at such. Quite successful.

You may even say, crazily successful.
Then they need to get rid of Crazy King and add King of the Hill (1 min sequential hill times).

Lazslo

GhaleonEB said:
Not to start this again, but I enjoyed Valhalla, Sandtrap and Last Resort (in that order) from the shipping game, and always have. And with DLC, Standoff, Rat's Nest (<3) and Avalanche. All very good maps.

A simple, faithful remake of Headlong would solve the BTB problem. That map would make everyone happy, including myself.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Self Induced said:
Got onyx Dome Inspector, which bumps my total up to 5. My goodness.

Got the high score on Gruntpocalypse/Corvette in the process, though :D

I love the commendations. I don't play Firefight or Campaign so I don't get them often but I love seeing that little box pop up on my screen in the game when I get it. I got Gold Dome Inspector today and it was awesome.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
I love the commendations. I don't play Firefight or Campaign so I don't get them often but I love seeing that little box pop up on my screen in the game when I get it. I got Gold Dome Inspector today and it was awesome.
Me too, homie! *high-five*

Why For? said:
I think you're reading my post as saying everything Bungie has done sucks. Quite the opposite. Halo CE is still in my all time Top 3.

I just think, as Plywood mentioned, 343 will have a certain freedom with the game Bungie doesn't technically have. Yet at the same time, will adhere for closer to the canon than Bungie has, which means they can technically please a lot more people than Bungie has with Halo 3/ODST and Reach.

As to the multiplayer, I'm not sure which route they'll go. Stick with the groundwork Bungie has laid? or go in their own direction?

Personally I think Halo 3 had it right in all but ONE aspect.

I loved that your rank was punished for losses, except I hated having a different rank for each game type. I can understand WHY it was made that way, I just didn't care for it.

But in Halo 3, if you saw someone with a high level, it meant they were actually good. In Reach/MW/MW2/WaW, a high rank can technically just mean you play a SHITLOAD of MP as opposed to actually being any good.

Haha yeah your other post came off a little strong, but to be fair I think I read too far into it. :lol

I agree with you, it will be pretty interesting to see what 343 does given the freedom they now have.

Letters I agree, the Camo Snipers, especially on Hemmorage are the worst.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
Me too, homie! *high-five*

high-five-0808-lg-76258126.jpg

Also, Halo Reach Guide to Hologram incoming next week. I have to gather more footage of me making guys in Arena look silly.

Good challenges today. Okay, well some good challenges.

One Spartan Army - 2500cR
Kill 250 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

Supporting Role - 400cR
Earn 20 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

Killagruntjaro! - 3500cR
Earn 35 multikills in a Firefight Matchmaking game.

Orbital Assists - 600cR
Kill 15 enemies using the Target Designator in Firefight Matchmaking.

Raiden

Banned
I dont like the Target Designator one, everyone will be rushing to use it, and by the time it rains most of your targets can already be dead ...

Photolysis said:
Good challenges today. Okay, well some good challenges.

One Spartan Army - 2500cR
Kill 250 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

Supporting Role - 400cR
Earn 20 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

Killagruntjaro! - 3500cR
Earn 35 multikills in a Firefight Matchmaking game.

Orbital Assists - 600cR
Kill 15 enemies using the Target Designator in Firefight Matchmaking.
Wow, I didn't even know there was a target designator in Firefight.

zumphry

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Wow, I didn't even know there was a target designator in Firefight.

Regular Firefight Matchmaking, not Score Attack. Which brings me to begging for some people to team up with me in about 12 hours to do that.

Kuroyume

Banned
Sucks that they're all Firefight related but at least two of them reward a nice number of cR. The target locator one could be annoying for some because if someone manages to get their hands on it the two times it's dropped I figure people will leave the games since FF takes a while to get through now.

Letters said:
I wish people would channel the hate towards the damn camo-sniper or the rooftop-jetpacker. Now these are annoying. Some invincible immobile dude is nothing in comparison, just use your brain instead of standing there looking and cursing at him.

Yeah it has gotten to the point where I can usually kill someone using armor lock unless they are being smart and using it to wait for friends to show up. If I do die 1v1 where someone uses it I can usually see what I did wrong to cause me to die.

Daily Challenge wise I will probably just skip the target designator one since I really do not feel like banging my head over it. I will play one round of Firefight matchmaking just for the assists and then most likely go back to Score Attack to mop up the rest. I really hate playing Firefight with anyone except friends and I am so glad Score Attack exists.

ZayneH said:
Regular Firefight Matchmaking, not Score Attack. Which brings me to begging for some people to team up with me in about 12 hours to do that.
Poke me at the time, depending on how tired I am I'll play some.

Striker

Why For? said:
Quite wrong. In Halo 3, you could become a 50 or high 40's player with a substantial amount of wins within a certain amount of games played. That's why there was so many alternate accounts getting 50's, rather than gamers who were playing in the beginning, but since so many games have gotten played over the year, it was excruciatingly difficult to get over the hump. You could win 10-12 wins in Slayer, and only rank up once, whereas once you lose, it drops again.

Not to mention there were tons and tons of 50's who just weren't very good.

Halo 2 had a great system in place. It was hard to even get into the mid 30's. Some got there, some did not, but it was the best skill meter we have gotten so far in the Halo MP series. I loved the challenge of getting ranked up, because in Halo 3 it wasn't so hard, as evidence by the large amount of 50's and high 40's.

GhaleonEB said:

It's all subjective. You could enjoy something different, as could I.

Valhalla was good size, though not perfect, for a BTB map. Sandtrap was too dull and felt lackluster. Rat's Nest was built for BTB, but the most action came in the middle for CTF. It certainly made games too short. Standoff was pretty awful for BTB - had no purpose for 16 players, but for 6v6 it was superb.

Halo 2's BTB was king - the map count and variety they brought was amazing. Reach has only been out for two months. Plenty of time for them to upgrade the quantity. I happen to find Hemorrhage and Paradiso very solid 2-side maps. They just lack a solid 1-side map. Halo 3 lacked a solid 1-side map, as well, perhaps a signal as to why I felt its BTB side was disappointing. That's why I am hoping Bungie does something with BTB versions of Spire and Boneyard. There's plenty of opportunities for this to happen.

Major Williams said:
Yeah Cage is a really cool map bro.

And Paradiso is just the best Halo map ever.

Oh and Atom is amazing, I'm so glad this was the first community map they chose. Clearly its the best made out there.

You should realize that Atom was made within a week or so after Reach was launched. No, it's not the best map out there now, but Bungie wanted to start getting user-created maps into matchmaking as fast as possible to appease the fans that have been clamoring for custom maps. It takes a long time to playtest maps (insert another dumbass joke about Atom here), so they had to start somewhere.

But by all means, continue to sound like the rest of the trolls on bnet.

vhfive said:
Then they need to get rid of Crazy King and add King of the Hill (1 min sequential hill times).
Sequential Hill currently does not work correctly in Reach. It might get the sequence right the first time, but after that it goes completely random.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Also, Halo Reach Guide to Hologram incoming next week. I have to gather more footage of me making guys in Arena look silly.
<3

I'm lately using hologram 80% of the time. Screw teammates, for the better or worse, I'd rather storm a room full of adversaries with my faithful holographic clone. Maybe it's the lower ranks I'm at but I'm noticing people falling for my hologram shenanigans rather often. It always makes me laugh my ass off. :lol I need to start saving clips.

Gui_PT

Sooo, who wants to party up in about 30 minutes or an hour to get that target designator challenge?

Quick/cheap credits and we'll get the other firefight challenges in the meantime.

Willeth

Gui_PT said:
Sooo, who wants to party up in about 30 minutes or an hour to get that target designator challenge?

Quick/cheap credits and we'll get the other firefight challenges in the meantime.
I'm in on that if I don't get it in the game I'm currently in.

Speaking of Firefight, Bungies still kinda holding out on us, I wonder when we will get to see Generator Defence and Vs Firefight. Thats 2 new main game modes that exist that arent playable outside of custom games.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
Speaking of Firefight, Bungies still kinda holding out on us, I wonder when we will get to see Generator Defence and Vs Firefight. Thats 2 new main game modes that exist that arent playable outside of custom games.
It is in regular Firefight Matchmaking (Generator Defense).

Striker said:
It is in regular Firefight Matchmaking (Generator Defense).

Oh yeah, had a bit of a idiot moment there, I meant the mode where you attack the Generators, theres a medal for destroying a Generator on Bnet so I assume that mode exists, probably as a Firefight VS mode.

Personally I would love to see SVE and Generator Defence on matchmaking, but im probably the only one. :lol

Willeth

Gui_PT said:
I'm going in now with Gandalf. Did you get it?
Nope, but I timed it really badly. Only just got out of the game I was in. I'll fire you an invite so you can see my profile - fire me one when you're done.

bobs99 ... said:
Oh yeah, had a bit of a idiot moment there, I meant the mode where you attack the Generators, theres a medal for destroying a Generator on Bnet so I assume that mode exists, probably as a Firefight VS mode.

Personally I would love to see SVE and Generator Defence on matchmaking, but im probably the only one. :lol

You and NullPointer.

and me

Surprise surprise, the target locator is having a terrible impact on matchmaking... again.

Instead of betraying for it, players simply quit if they don't get to it first. Fun.

Photolysis said:
Surprise surprise, the target locator is having a terrible impact on matchmaking... again.

Instead of betraying for it, players simply quit if they don't get to it first. Fun.

This is why I hate when they make weapon specific matchmaking challenges. I remember one of the first days involved killing ten people in a single match with grenades, that was a pretty horrible night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom