• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
aesop said:
Behind a year old game? Yikes.
My spin is that the new Halo title seemingly has done little to deter people from a really successful series. It isn't about detering though and while a large subsection of gamers are those that play both COD and Halo, the reality is that they are two very diffferent games with two, although similar, different target markets. Great result for all involved really. Tis a shame the amount of UU's is never disclosed.

One must always factor that Halo has guests which take up a hefty portion of players I'd imagine too.

squidhands said:
Black Ops already needed a title update? What a joke. :lol
Not at all.

Most games have Title Updates at launch.... The time from 'Going Gold' to the day you get the disc in your hands is usually quite a while. In that time Developers can make pro-active changes to the game to avoid any last minute issues that would arise on launch day.

SC2 did it, and I know many others did too.

aesop said:
Behind a year old game? Yikes.
Yeah I saw that... Kind of bad for Reach to have already slipped to 3rd.

Willeth

HOLY SHIT.

I just threw a sticky, and two deaths later I got a kill from the grave on a guy. Not only that, the timing between throwing the grenade and is 1:17.

One two three films. Renders appreciated.

electricpirate said:
Good stuff.

I'm surprised Halo 3 is still pulling 100-200k per day.

This is what matters most to me. If Reach is still measuring its players-per-day in the hundreds of thousands 3+ years after release then I will consider it a success.

Update on the Tashi Challenge: played a bunch of games last night. Not strong. I'm still spending too much time worrying about deploying the hologram instead of just playing. Though it is pretty great when you get someone to waste all 4 rockets on your hologram. Going to try some more hologramantics tonight.

/coolstorybro

Kujo

Why do people vote for Elite Slayer over CTF? Why do people vote for Elite Slayer over anything? Why is there no good Covi weapon to destroy a good Banshee pilot? Extremely overpowered in that gametype. Why did they take out the Beam Rifle? The Focus Rifle is an absolute piece of shit. /rage

squidhands said:
Black Ops already needed a title update? What a joke. :lol

Not really a joke considering it was to do some maintenance pretty much. http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/11/18/cod-black-ops-xbox-360-patch-title-update-live-list-of-changes/

It fixes up some MP problems but so far their really hasn't been anything that is game-breaking unlike MW2 and Reach with AA. It is actually nice that they got a patch out quickly to fix some problems, shows they are supporting it much better than IW ever did.

Here's to hoping Bungie's first patch of Reach fixes up a lot of the problems that many people here including myself have with the game so I can actually go back and play MP again and have fun instead of getting frustrated.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm not surprised that MW2 is ahead of Reach. God knows how many they sold on 360. Also, it's only been a year since it came out. That's not a long time. It sucks because I think Halo is a much better game but hey, that's the way it is.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Roche178 said:
You guys seen this yet? Very disappointing result for Reach. :(

Can't say I'm shocked.

Reach IS the superior game, but issues like quitters and stale maps bring it down immensely.

NameGenerated said:

Well, I won't be getting fooled again.

"Actually rare" my ass.

Urk, if I catch your ass on the street you're getting a wedgie, and a wet willy.

WickedLaharl said:
no it isn't.

Yeah, actually it is. The divided player base of MW2 along with the population of Black Ops both are above a Brand new Halo. It definitely is.

Roche

WickedLaharl said:
MW2 has sold like a gazillion copies. noway was it going to just drop off because blops came out.

Halo Reach also sold a gazillion copies and far more recently than MW2 and was an overall a better game (IMO), by all rights Halo deserves that first spot, to not get second is massively disappointing. I guess my opinion of Halo is shared by the minority.

Striker

Roche178 said:
You guys seen this yet? Very disappointing result for Reach. :(
Why disappointing? Casuals buy CoD and they play for months on end, and sometimes longer. MW2 just came out last November, and Black Ops just came out that week (began Nov 8th).

Willeth said:
As for remakes: meh. The only ones I really want from 3 are Guardian and Avalanche - there's not really anything that has the same feel as those two maps in Reach right now.
If they're going to add any BTB remake, make it something that's installed a one-side affair. They don't need to make so many two-side maps for BTB, as we already have Hemorrhage, Paradiso, and it looks like Tempest is that same degree. I would love something along the lines of Headlong, Relic, and Terminal.

Roche178 said:
Halo Reach also sold a gazillion copies and far more recently than MW2 and was an overall a better game (IMO), by all rights Halo deserves that first spot, to not get second is massively disappointing. I guess my opinion of Halo is shared by the minority.
Still less than MW2 though.

aesop

CrazedArabMan said:
It fixes up some MP problems but so far their really hasn't been anything that is game-breaking unlike MW2 and Reach with AA.

Armor abilities are not game breaking. They may alter the way in which you play the game, but they in no way break it.

Kuroyume

Banned
The divided player base of MW2 is still millions above Reach. I don't see how any of this matters. It's not that difficult to get a game going in Reach. I've noticed it takes a little longer for me in Mult Team but Team Slayer takes a few seconds.

I wish Bungie would be a bit more vocal about the stuff they're considering for the game in the future. Also, when are the map previews coming out?

Raide

aesop said:
Armor abilities are not game breaking. They may alter the way in which you play the game, but they in no way break it.

I think the addition of AA's was a risk for Bungie. Black Ops is not really mixing the MW2 formula up that much. Yes some tweaks and alterations but the actual feel is still similar.

Reach made some fairly big changes that still divides Halo players. The addition of more maps, gameplay tweaks and new playlists will draw more people back in.

aesop said:

Eh, my opinion, I should have clarified by meaning Armor Lock for the most part as game breaking for me at least. When I say that I mean game breaking in a sense that it takes the joy out of the combat. So bad wording on my part then.

aesop

Raide said:
I think the addition of AA's was a risk for Bungie. Black Ops is not really mixing the MW2 formula up that much. Yes some tweaks and alterations but the actual feel is still similar.

Reach made some fairly big changes that still divides Halo players. The addition of more maps, gameplay tweaks and new playlists will draw more people back in.

I completely agree with you.

I guess I'm just surprised that so much of the hardcore Halo fanbase feels alienated by these changes. I didn't want the same old thing again. Halo 3 was starting to bore me. I played a lot of Halo 2 and even with the addition of equipment, 3 felt like the same old thing. In my opinion, what Reach added to the sandbox has gone a long way to keep things fresh and makes skirmishes unpredictable. But maybe that's just me and I want some variety in my Halo. /2cents

Willeth

I've been thinking about whether or not AAs should be pickups. I think the reason people complain about them is because they're a constant - in Halo 3, for example, you fought for the overshield and regenerator and everything just like you would for weapons. In Reach, everyone has an AA they can use at any time and you can't prevent them from doing it (by grabbing it first), only react and anticipate - and I think that's why a lot of people are uncomfortable with them. If you're used to controlling the map spawns, it's something extra that you can't lock down.

Miggytronz

Had this happen last night.

I was in a CTF on hemmorage, I spawn at Blue Base, turn right to get a Hog......Hog has no Turret....WTF?

GhaleonEB

aesop said:
I completely agree with you.

I guess I'm just surprised that so much of the hardcore Halo fanbase feels alienated by these changes. I didn't want the same old thing again. Halo 3 was starting to bore me. I played a lot of Halo 2 and even with the addition of equipment, 3 felt like the same old thing. In my opinion, what Reach added to the sandbox has gone a long way to keep things fresh and makes skirmishes unpredictable. But maybe that's just me and I want some variety in my Halo. /2cents
Everyone's going to have their own explanations, and it's probably a mix of everything. The CoD games are hugely popular, there were gameplay changes, etc. My $0.02 is that it's a mix of the relative popularity of the games - Halo is huge, CoD somewhat huger - and the state of the playlists at launch. I have nothing but my opinion and my test-case friend who dove into MP for the first time with Reach, and it was one bad experience after another. The last big update cleaned up a lot of the issues, but he's moved on to BLOPS now.

I think the bottom line is CoD is just huge, and Halo is a bit less huge. And new content like playlist refreshes and the Noble maps will bring players back, as it always does.

In my limited experience, quitting hasn't been any more of a problem with Reach than with Halo 3. But I've noticed a LOT more host migrations/black screen connection interruptions. Is that the case for everyone else? Seems like nearly every game I play, there's at least one. I don't remember that with Halo 3.

Edit: to clarify, they happened in Halo 3, just not with the same frequency.

Arnie

Blergmeister said:
In regards to Reach Reflection part of Arnies post on the last page... you were complaining about not being able to move fast enough or jump high enough away from the grenades. You forgot another weapon at your disposal, your Armor Ability. You had access to either Sprint to run away from the grenades, Jetpack to fly over them, or Armor Lock to eat them (don't want to get into a convo about this one being overpowered). You also had Camo and Hologram to confuse your opponents. Why didn't these play into your scenario? Unlike Halo 3 where equipment is picked up, you ALWAYS have these in Reach and should play into every encounter (good or bad, the point is that this is a fundamental difference.)
To answer your point, and it's a fair one, because apart from Armour Lock none would have worked, and even then Armour Lock would leave you embarrassingly helpless to the two opponents once it wears out. Sprint would leave me unable to return fire to the two opponents whilst I try and evade the grenade, even then that's not a certainty. By the time the grenade explodes I'd only have enough time to perhaps rise a foot off the ground with a jetpack, given the slow acceleration speed when trying to leave the ground. Hologram is often, and in this scenario, completely useless as the opponents have seen me before I deploy it, only the stupidest of opponents would really go for that one. Finally camo is all but useless when moving at running speed, especially when grenades are going off around me.

Azar

GhaleonEB said:
In my limited experience, quitting hasn't been any more of a problem with Reach than with Halo 3. But I've noticed a LOT more host migrations/black screen connection interruptions. Is that the case for everyone else? Seems like nearly every game I play, there's at least one. I don't remember that with Halo 3.
Yup, host migration probably happened in about 1/3 of the games I've played. And most of the time those games were running fine, too, so it wasn't fixing any lag problem.

aesop

GhaleonEB said:

It happened, just not as frequently and usually accompanied a player quitting the game.

Butane123

aesop said:
It happened, just not as frequently and usually accompanied a player quitting the game.
Nah, usually when I get them everyone is in the game before the switch happens, and everyone is still there afterwards.

Its weird because generally the game is playing just fine before hand.

aesop

Butane123 said:
Nah, usually when I get them everyone is in the game before the switch happens, and everyone is still there afterwards.

Its weird because generally the game is playing just fine before hand.

I was referring to Ghaleon's comment about Halo 3.

ElRenoRaven

Good lord this thread is like a never ending cycle. I've been slacking and been busy gearing up my warlock and prepping for Cataclysm so I've not been on the thread much or on the game but still with the Armor lock ruins the game stuff? Seriously?

Also yea at some point it's bound to happen but yea at some point 343 will have to take over all the day to day Halo 3 & Reach operations. That's just a fact of life. How well it is handled remains to be seen. Personally I'm betting on Halo 3 getting hung out to dry stat wise while Halo 3 gets some nice support from them.

ElRenoRaven

Zeouterlimits said:
Yup. ... Yup.
It seemed to get "better" but still happens way too often.

I'll agree there. If there was one aspect I really find lacking in the online play in Reach it's that. Well that and the people's ability to pick the worst gametypes but that's beside the point.

Arnie said:
To answer your point, and it's a fair one, because apart from Armour Lock none would have worked, and even then Armour Lock would leave you embarrassingly helpless to the two opponents once it wears out. Sprint would leave me unable to return fire to the two opponents whilst I try and evade the grenade, even then that's not a certainty. By the time the grenade explodes I'd only have enough time to perhaps rise a foot off the ground with a jetpack, given the slow acceleration speed when trying to leave the ground. Hologram is often, and in this scenario, completely useless as the opponents have seen me before I deploy it, only the stupidest of opponents would really go for that one. Finally camo is all but useless when moving at running speed, especially when grenades are going off around me.

I'll concede your point about sprint but I think you are underestimating how far a jump+jetpack would get you. I'll argue you on armor lock though. You would only be in it for a fraction of a second as the grenades explode. Any disadvatage coming out of the lock would give you would be negated by your higher shields. Also, I agree that hologram and invis are not as practical by this point but if you were using them effectively the situation would generally not play out like this.

I digress. What I'm trying to say is that Reach is different enough that a specific situation in Halo 3 should not be expected to play out the same in Reach. Even if the shooting mechanics were the same the persistance of armor abilities compared to the one time use of on pickup only equipment, even if every one was perfectly balanced, ensures this.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
PsychoRaven said:
Good lord this thread is like a never ending cycle. I've been slacking and been busy gearing up my warlock and prepping for Cataclysm so I've not been on the thread much or on the game but still with the Armor lock ruins the game stuff? Seriously?

It isn't just Armor Lock. It's all Armor Abilities, reticule bloom, simultaenous kills, etc.

Armor Lock is just the most prominent out of the bunch [of AAs].

PsychoRaven said:
Also yea at some point it's bound to happen but yea at some point 343 will have to take over all the day to day Halo 3 & Reach operations. That's just a fact of life. How well it is handled remains to be seen. Personally I'm betting on Halo 3 getting hung out to dry stat wise while Halo 3 gets some nice support from them.
wat

Willeth

Louis Wu - thanks for the post, but can you amend the HBO post please - this was a TBK thing, not a GAF thing. I posted it here because I thought you guys would get a kick out of it, not because I wanted to identify it with GAF. None of the other guys who made it are GAF folk and FyreWulff was flying the Banshee.

GhaleonEB said:
Everyone's going to have their own explanations, and it's probably a mix of everything. The CoD games are hugely popular, there were gameplay changes, etc. My $0.02 is that it's a mix of the relative popularity of the games - Halo is huge, CoD somewhat huger - and the state of the playlists at launch. I have nothing but my opinion and my test-case friend who dove into MP for the first time with Reach, and it was one bad experience after another. The last big update cleaned up a lot of the issues, but he's moved on to BLOPS now.

I think the bottom line is CoD is just huge, and Halo is a bit less huge. And new content like playlist refreshes and the Noble maps will bring players back, as it always does.

Edit: to clarify, they happened in Halo 3, just not with the same frequency.

part of it is the fact that you haven't played a ton of games, doing a quick stat check, i see like 30-40 games, so the system is probably still building a hosting record for you, and finding good matches. Unless you are on an irish connection apparently.

I used to get them about 1 an hour, now I'm only getting them maybe once every 4 hours, generally in games that are just laggy start to end.

Miggytronz

electricpirate said:
part of it is the fact that you haven't played a ton of games, doing a quick stat check, i see like 30-40 games, so the system is probably still building a hosting record for you, and finding good matches. Unless you are on an irish connection apparently.

I used to get them about 1 an hour, now I'm only getting them maybe once every 4 hours, generally in games that are just laggy start to end.

this

Louis Wu

Willeth said:
Louis Wu - thanks for the post, but can you amend the HBO post please - this was a TBK thing, not a GAF thing. I posted it here because I thought you guys would get a kick out of it, not because I wanted to identify it with GAF. None of the other guys who made it are GAF folk and FyreWulff was flying the Banshee.
I'd be happy to amend the post - if I had any clue at all what TBK was. :(

The fact that Reach is 3rd behind MW2 and Black Ops means nothing, its pretty clear that most MW2 fans would move onto Black Ops, but would probably have been playing MW2 before they got the game. Or maybe felt like switching between the 2 games to get a comparison.

Im more upset about Halo 3 falling all the way to tenth, behind CoD4 and World at war, thats a result I wasnt expecting.

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:

Thing is, the games I play are actually very solid connections, with little to no lag. I'm curious as to whether the system is only gathering data during MP Matchmaking, as I've played more customs than Matchmaking (26 vs 95 custom). And in any event, the issue wasn't nearly as prominent in Halo 3 at any point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom