• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Willeth said:
halothroughtheages.jpg
Fantastic

Willeth

Bregmann Roche said:
I agree. It would look really good in, oh, I dunno...a MOVIE or something sometime.
Well, OC looks on-track for production soon. They shot a teaser trailer to try and drum up some interest recently.

Dirtbag

Arnie said:
Ok guys, as you know I'm a big Halo fan that feels slightly disappointed with Reach 2 months after launch. I'll post part 1 of my multiplayer analysis to try and explain some of my frustrations, however note that this is only part one so it may feel incomplete. There are many other factors contributing to my overall disappointment which I will write up in due course.

Please note I completely understand my frustrations are highly subjective and may only resonate with a minute fraction of HaloGAF, for those who disagree I completely accept your point of view and do not wish to override it. In no way do I think Reach is a bad game, rather one that didn't meet my high expectations for the franchise in the multiplayer department.

Part 1: Game Mechanics

I agree with your analysis, and also want to pile on about armor lock as even more frustrating to the core experience. I am finding myself migrating to the needle rifle since it has a much decreased bloom or at least it has a better rhythm then the DMR for me.

I think you nailed the shortcomings of the core. I really hope 343 look long and hard at this, as the bloom really did change things.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Remember the "Community" hopper that was brought up a while back, the one where we might see community made Forge maps getting tested out before their appearance elsewhere in matchmaking?

Well according to Ninja on Fire the forthcoming MLG playlist will be in a new playlist category, namely "Community".

If I'm following this right, I think we can expect Griffball to follow suit, maybe even an Actionsack playlist down the line. About the Forge playlist though? I don't think we'll get word about it until well after the Forgetacular competition ends and the Community Cartographers program gets up and running.

Seems like Halo during the holidays will be quite the treat. New playlists, new DLC maps and plenty of new hoppers and Forged maps.

Dirtbag said:
I am finding myself migrating to the needle rifle since it has a much decreased bloom or at least it has a better rhythm then the DMR for me.
It has less bloom but it takes longer for the reticle to reset, especially if you fire off a burst of three, which I find infuriating. Don't get me wrong, it's a great gun (and it has a psychological advantage in that it's far scarier to be shot by shrieking, shattering pink shit than regular bullets), but it doesn't have the same precision/control as the DMR.

Raide

Daily Challenges:

One Spartan Army 1500cR
Kill 150 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

Support Structure 600cR
Earn 30 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

Blast Radius 600cR
Kill 30 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with grenades.

That Pink Mist 1000cR
Kill 70 enemies with a Supercombine from the Needler or Needle Rifle in Firefight Matchmaking.

RdN said:
Pulled a 13 win streak tonight with a couple of friends.. :D

Now 41/50 for the Weekly.

Nice. Sadly all of my friends have pretty much stopped playing Reach so I have been stuck pugging it the last few weeks. I think I am only 16/50 on that challenge for the week, but on the flip side I have been having my best week yet K/D wise. I think I can count on one hand the number of games where I went negative. Probably because I finally stopped caring so death streaks stopped frustrating me so much :p

Miggytronz

Raide said:
Daily Challenges:

One Spartan Army 1500cR
Kill 150 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

Support Structure 600cR
Earn 30 assists in Firefight Matchmaking.

Blast Radius 600cR
Kill 30 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with grenades.

That Pink Mist 1000cR
Kill 70 enemies with a Supercombine from the Needler or Needle Rifle in Firefight Matchmaking.

what a bunch of shiet. uhg. :/

ShinAmano

So I know this would never happen, but how awesome would it be if the 2nd or 3rd DLC pack was a couple new maps along with the entire set of Halo 3 maps and ODST firefight maps. They could charge $20 and do a disk based add on and I know I would not be the only one all over it.

Miggytronz

ShinAmano said:
So I know this would never happen, but how awesome would it be if the 2nd or 3rd DLC pack was a couple new maps along with the entire set of Halo 3 maps and ODST firefight maps. They could charge $20 and do a disk based add on and I know I would not be the only one all over it.

yeah man that would be awesome.

Sorry i left last night, Baby vomited and wifey freaked out. All is good though.

Willeth

Firefight maps would be nice. I know there are already a ton but there's the nightclub (which is basically Crater) and that section of Long Night that's already basically Firefight, just in Campaign. There's a couple of sections of Nightfall and some early areas in Winter Contingency that seem like they were designed for it and left behind.

As for remakes: meh. The only ones I really want from 3 are Guardian and Avalanche - there's not really anything that has the same feel as those two maps in Reach right now.

Gui_PT

Willeth said:
As for remakes: meh. The only ones I really want from 3 are Guardian and Avalanche - there's not really anything that has the same feel as those two maps in Reach right now.

What about The Pit or Valhalla?

chess

Dax01 said:
Hemorrhage says you're wrong.

That's not a fair assessment. It's a vehicle map and that sandbox is completely different.

Non-vehicle maps maybe. Old maps really don't work because of AA's for the most part. I don't think CE, 2, or 3 maps really work that well with AA's. I'm not sure we will ever be happy with maps in Reach. I don't think any maps will really fit the Reach sandbox great. Powerhouse is about as close as it gets.

feel

chess said:
That's not a fair assessment. It's a vehicle map and that sandbox is completely different.

Non-vehicle maps maybe. Old maps really don't work because of AA's for the most part. I don't think CE, 2, or 3 maps really work that well with AA's. I'm not sure we will ever be happy with maps in Reach. I don't think any maps will really fit the Reach sandbox great. Powerhouse is about as close as it gets.
Yeah. As nice as the jetpack is, it should be singleplayer and coop only (and maybe btb/invasion). It totally killed good outdoor halo map designing.

In regards to Reach Reflection part of Arnies post on the last page... you were complaining about not being able to move fast enough or jump high enough away from the grenades. You forgot another weapon at your disposal, your Armor Ability. You had access to either Sprint to run away from the grenades, Jetpack to fly over them, or Armor Lock to eat them (don't want to get into a convo about this one being overpowered). You also had Camo and Hologram to confuse your opponents. Why didn't these play into your scenario? Unlike Halo 3 where equipment is picked up, you ALWAYS have these in Reach and should play into every encounter (good or bad, the point is that this is a fundamental difference.)

chess said:
Here are some interesting daily Reach stats from the last two weeks.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=53050624

the non-thread link

http://www.metahalo.com/population/

from the bnet thread:

November 1st, 2010: Dashboard update released
November 2nd, 2010: Reach rank cap removed
November 4th, 2010: Kinect released
November 9th, 2010: Call of Duty: Black Ops and The Sims 3 released
November 16th, 2010: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit released
November 18th, 2010: Black Ops title update released
November 25th, 2010: Free Gold weekend begins
November 29th, 2010: Free Gold weekend ends
November 30th, 2010: Noble map pack released for Reach
Black Ops already needed a title update? What a joke. :lol

squidhands said:
from the bnet thread:

Black Ops already needed a title update? What a joke. :lol

Considering cert for those things takes 2-weeks to a month, it means that the patch was probably submitted to certification on release date. On one hand, that probably means the game needed a couple more weeks in the cooker, on the other it's is good that TA is being pretty agressive in fixing issues.

I'm still curious as to what Bungie will be rolling out with their first TU. I'm really hoping that we at least get some forge and gametype bug fixes at the minimum (Map saving glitch, KoTH hill movement fixes), I'd love to see them tackle a few physics glitches (Vehicle super launches, etc).

Actually, thinking about it, BUngie could probably just script a new gametype for KoTH that would fix the issues, but that wouldn't work to well for setting up custom games.

electricpirate said:
I'm still curious as to what Bungie will be rolling out with their first TU. I'm really hoping that we at least get some forge and gametype bug fixes at the minimum (Map saving glitch, KoTH hill movement fixes), I'd love to see them tackle a few physics glitches (Vehicle super launches,
I really hope we start hearing some news on the first TU soon, like in tomorrow's update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom