• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
enzo_gt said:
Yeah, now I don't know why I feel like I'm in the minority but, I'm having more fun in Reach MP than any other Halo. Perhaps this is because of the blatantly better weaponset (AR and DMR are balanced together PERFECTLY IMO). Sure the maps aren't as good I've realized as of now, but man I've had some good runs.

I'm so glad the DMR is what it is. Bungie have perfectly taken the god-gun BR and balanced it perfectly while still keeping the satisfaction in killing someone. Watching competitve Halo at times is like watching paint dry, because the weapon use is limited to (pretty much) the sniper and BR/DMR. I don't see much fun in watching the same fraction of the sandbox being used.

This will probably upset people with hard-ons for MLG in this thread, but that's how I feel, and had to get that off of my chest. :lol

I never post in this thread but honestly for me Halo Reach MP is the most fun Halo game I've ever played. And I found Halo 3 pretty boring.

And really its mainly because of the armor abilities and things like bloom. I feel like when I come up against somebody now, they are more unique. They have a specific style and ability and I have a specific style and ability. And that combination creates a lot of unique moments and play styles which is what I like about shooters. Before to me it felt like everybody played the same and it just honestly felt kind of slow. But just adding a simple sprint and the bloom aspect where it isn't just about spamming a trigger button at top speed has made all the difference to me. My opinion is probably in the minority and like I said, I'm not nearly the hardcore Halo player you guys are or even that good at the game but I find the Mp play of Reach amazingly fun. Much more so than I expected it to be.

GloveSlap

enzo_gt said:
You can pop off the Magnum much faster though, isn't that why it compliments the DMR so well? It's versatility is limited by it's range, and because of such, it fairs much better in it's particular range category.

My problem with the BR is that it simply was a god gun. I guess you can have fun with only using one gun in every single circumstance aside from "power" weapons, but to me that just shows the limited versatility -or boringness- of the weaponset vs. a more balanced one.

There are a few differences to them for sure, but at the end of the day they feel like pretty much the same gun. If you ungimp the pistol range and clip size it is very similar in feel and usability. Its kind of like how they gimped the regular movement speed to make room for the armor abilities.

I never really considered the BR a god gun in Halo 3. It sucked up close against an AR because of how fast you could AR melee someone in Halo 3. The BR was effective, yes, but also very fair. There is nothing wrong with having a reliable accuracy based gun to fall back on in most situations. I will take that over the spraying and charging that has been considered part of the Halo "sandbox" for far too long. It didn't stop me from using plenty of other weapons in Halo 3, I just usually kept a BR in one of the weapon slots as a backup in addition to whatever i was using at a given time.

Ramirez

Oozer3993

Grimm Fandango said:
I terribly miss the old melee system.

I don't. Not even a little. I vastly prefer Reach's system. I know exactly what's gonna happen every time I melee some one, which was not the case for Halo 3.

Ramirez

Grimm Fandango said:
I terribly miss the old melee system.

Yea, another stupid change, basically took all of the strategy out of CQC combat...now instead of shooting someone and meleeing for the kill, you both just melee each other for a simultaneous beatdown 95% of the time. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The game finally realized the strength of my FiOs. I've been pulling host almost every game. I've got to adjust to it, it's a little different and I always hated playing on it in Halo 2 and 3. Gonna have to get used to it though.

Ramirez said:
Yea, another stupid change, basically took all of the strategy out of CQC combat...now instead of shooting someone and meleeing for the kill, you both just melee each other for a simultaneous beatdown 95% of the time. :lol

I wish they would use Halo 2's system also, where your melee power was effected by if you ran and jumped, ran and melee'd, etc...

Sibylus

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I never post in this thread but honestly for me Halo Reach MP is the most fun Halo game I've ever played. And I found Halo 3 pretty boring.

And really its mainly because of the armor abilities and things like bloom. I feel like when I come up against somebody now, they are more unique. They have a specific style and ability and I have a specific style and ability. And that combination creates a lot of unique moments and play styles which is what I like about shooters. Before to me it felt like everybody played the same and it just honestly felt kind of slow. But just adding a simple sprint and the bloom aspect where it isn't just about spamming a trigger button at top speed has made all the difference to me. My opinion is probably in the minority and like I said, I'm not nearly the hardcore Halo player you guys are or even that good at the game but I find the Mp play of Reach amazingly fun. Much more so than I expected it to be.
I agree, especially with the bolded. Love the armor abilities, bloom, and there are some map and gametype combos that I could play perpetually. Examples:

BTB Slayer on Spire: Basically for all the Jetpack play. I love to be up on the spire's roof with a good view of the entire map and all that happens below. If you're sneaky, you can also tiptoe behind people who're taking potshots from the balcony and get some assassinations.

Elite Slayer on Hemorrhage: This is probably my favourite incarnation of Blood Gulch, I just love how the Elite stable of weaponry plays on it. Every loadout comes with a Plasma Pistol, so out from the gate all players have a degree of deterrence against vehicles. The vehicles themselves also mix nicely with the infantry skirmishes. They're not overwhelmingly powerful and take a degree more patience and persistence for success than the likes of Scorpions and Warthogs.

The Ghost, Revenant, and Wraith basically fill all the desired niches and are a blast to use. It's very rewarding when you go on a Spree with them, given the numerous countermeasures the other team has available. And when your Wraith takes down two of the enemy's and a host of lighter vehicles in a single life, that feels pretty good :D

Regular slayer on Hemorrhage lacks a lot of those vehicle countermeasures. Sprint isn't as useful as Evade for dodging, no loadouts spawn with plasma pistols, the map itself only has a few. The human sniper is also present, which tends to compound the difficulty of going on foot. Throw in some Grenade Launchers and Rockets see where the balance rests after a while.

CrazedArabMan said:
I wish they would use Halo 2's system also, where your melee power was effected by if you ran and jumped, ran and melee'd, etc...

Anything but this...Hey we have made 3 good melee systems before, lets throw all that out the window!

Tashi

The Halo 2 system, while good on paper was a mess in practice. You never knew which melee you were going to get or if it was going work. It was very unreliable. Obviously the collision detection and networking is much better than it is back when Halo 2 released but it would be a bit much. I do wish that melees over the head with objective items killed in 1 hit and 2 to the body rather than 1 hit anywhere system that's been in place in Halo 3.

The simultaneous beatdowns aren't the fault of the melee system, they're the fault of the netcode, which is more tolerant than ever of the client's input from what I can make out.

And personally, playing in Europe, fuck anyone who doesn't like the increase in simultaneous kills. Far better than never getting the breaks because everything you do is a quarter-second out.

Tashi

Shake Appeal said:
The simultaneous beatdowns aren't the fault of the melee system, they're the fault of the netcode, which is more tolerant than ever of the client's input from what I can make out.

And personally, playing in Europe, fuck anyone who doesn't like the increase in simultaneous kills. Far better than never getting the breaks because everything you do is a quarter-second out.

Blame it on the matchmaking for not putting you in low latency matches with other people from Europe. I played against some Italians today in Doubles. We beat them up but I was pissed because I shouldn't match them, ever.

The playerbase is overwhelmingly North American (which is why over time the hosting records skew American, and so it gets even worse for players outside NA). If the game tried to put me exclusively in European games, it would take half an hour to find a game every time.

As it is, with Good Connection on it sometimes takes ten minutes to find an Arena game, and usually the first voice I hear from my teammates once it does is American.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shake Appeal said:

I wish this game had dedis, I feel your pain on connection issues, but that's probably cause I still haven't logged enough games or whatever.

Gui_PT

Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR

Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Showtime - 1000cR

Earn 5 assists in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Credits for Completion - 800cR

Complete 8 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Close Talking - 1000cR

Earn 20 kills with close quarters combat in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Btw Plywood, lovin' your armor.

Falt

From Europe I hit black screens and lag spikes every now and then but for the most part I'm extremely happy with my connection considering the player base I come up against 80% of the time is American. Such a better experience than Halo 3, for me personally.

Forget about black screens, armour lock and bloom. My Reach frustration is something completely different. Nat settings...

We have two 360's on our network at home. We can play Reach seperately without any issues but if we party up we'll have little to no chance of finding a game. One 360's NAT will be "open" while the other will be "moderate" depending on which 360 is turned on first. Is this something that can be solved with static IPs, MAC addresses or something else I have little to no clue about? Our ISP seems to think there is no fix for our situation.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Falt said:
From Europe I hit black screens and lag spikes every now and then but for the most part I'm extremely happy with my connection considering the player base I come up against 80% of the time is American. Such a better experience than Halo 3, for me personally.

Forget about black screens, armour lock and bloom. My Reach frustration is something completely different. Nat settings...

We have two 360's on our network at home. We can play Reach seperately without any issues but if we party up we'll have little to no chance of finding a game. One 360's NAT will be "open" while the other will be "moderate" depending on which 360 is turned on first. Is this something that can be solved with static IPs, MAC addresses or something else I have little to no clue about? Our ISP seems to think there is no fix for our situation.

Have you tried enabling a DMZ on your router?

Falt

Dani said:
Have you tried enabling a DMZ on your router?

No, until moments ago I'd never even heard of the term. A quick google has me intrigued though and I'm willing to try anything at this point. Appreciate the heads up.

Falt said:
Agreed in that the lag is much less, but the black screen'ing is much worse.

Falt said:
Seems like one 360 gets the ip with the open ports, the other doesn't.
Your router probably assigning the ips dynamically, so you may want to properly look into Port Forwarding (if DMZ doesn't solve your issue) for both ips.

WJD

So I've been lurking a lot more than I've been posting recently and noticed a lot of people wanting Bungie to adopt the drop in-drop out system.

I've got to admit, I'm one of the people who thinks drop in-drop out would massively help the online play but, how possible would it be for Bungie to implement something like that in a patch? Would they even consider it?

Or is the current system too much "a part of Halo"?

Sorry about this being done to death.

Raide

WJD said:
So I've been lurking a lot more than I've been posting recently and noticed a lot of people wanting Bungie to adopt the drop in-drop out system.

I've got to admit, I'm one of the people who thinks drop in-drop out would massively help the online play but, how possible would it be for Bungie to implement something like that in a patch? Would they even consider it?

Major patching to change the way it currently works so I really don't see it ever happening. Maybe for Bungie's next project, along with Dedicated Servers.

Pipeyboy

Neo Member
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

Been playing Reach since day 1 and generally loving the online (similar issues to many on here but no way near hardcore enough a player to let them annoy me to the same extent).

Anyways, I've often wondered before how people get the Rank Badge to "Shimmer" when it displays in the lobby. I've never seen an option before or an explanation as to how.

Last night for the first time since I've been playing mine went to "Shimmer" for one whole solitary game of Team Swat (not my usual thing but fancied mixing it up a little after my 4 goes on Team Arena). Then afterwards nothing again. Doh!

Anyone care to let me in on this it'd be much appreciated.

P.S. Absolutely love this thread and your passion for all things Halo! Makes a dull day at work bearable somehow!

Miggytronz

Pipeyboy said:
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

Been playing Reach since day 1 and generally loving the online (similar issues to many on here but no way near hardcore enough a player to let them annoy me to the same extent).

Anyways, I've often wondered before how people get the Rank Badge to "Shimmer" when it displays in the lobby. I've never seen an option before or an explanation as to how.

Last night for the first time since I've been playing mine went to "Shimmer" for one whole solitary game of Team Swat (not my usual thing but fancied mixing it up a little after my 4 goes on Team Arena). Then afterwards nothing again. Doh!

Anyone care to let me in on this it'd be much appreciated.

P.S. Absolutely love this thread and your passion for all things Halo! Makes a dull day at work bearable somehow!

it shimmers because that person just Ranked up.

Pipeyboy

Neo Member
Thanks,

I had just gone to Captain Grade 2 the game before.

I guess every other time I had ranked up I must have then logged off. :D

Falagard

WJD said:
Really? I can't see how any possible downsides would negate the massive positives.

I think it'd be fine. The difference between Halo and other games in the past was that many other games, such as CoD, would keep players on the same server between matches while Halo 2 and 3 would always find new players each game. Halo Reach has changed that model so that you stay together by default - and this makes drop-in and out more palatable because if you join a game in progress then at least after your current game there's a good chance you're going to be grouped with some people making the next match faster.

You'd still want to have penalties and bannings in place for quitters, but maybe give bonus credits to people who join a game in progress (joining would be done automatically through matchmaking) as an incentive.

I think it'd work.

Pipeyboy

Neo Member
Personally, I'm not a fan of the drop-in, drop-out approach. I remember way too many games of MW2 where you'd be put in to a team 200-740 down. Get a loss on your stats. Then find that everyone in the room decided that was enough for the day and you get chucked back to the waiting lobby.

That said, if there was an option box in the settings so you could personally enable/disable drop-in, drop out i'd be fine with it as it would be to everyone's personal preferance and the above would be a risk that you'd accepted may happen.

yeah i would hate for bungie to implement join in progress. it's a lot better to have matches completely ruined because of quitters and having to suffer getting your ass beat in a 4vs8 BTB match.

so please, bungie, don't listen to these fools!

Arnie

WJD said:

If you'd have proposed this back in Halo 3 days I'd have poo poo'd the idea, as Halo 3 games were a locked in competition between two sets of teams, both playing for the win, looking to advance their rank.

In the days of Halo: Reach I would say drop in -drop out is doable, seen as players just usually nip in for a quick 10 minute credit session and don't actually care about winning. The loss of emotion in Reach matches is one of it's biggest flaws, and one brought about as a direct result of losing the number system.

I look back at a conversation I had with Tashi before release where I claimed Reach's biggest improvement would be to drop the numbers and move to a solely individual skill ranking in Arena, Tashi disagreed. I feel so foolish now for even suggesting such a thing, Arena is shit, both at an executional level and at a bare bones design level. Matches in 3 were so fun because you were on a knife edge, many a time you knew that a win or defeat would have immediate impact on your rank post game, whereas in Arena you spend the match exploiting the map for your own personal gain, not working as a team, and then you get a number which slots into some long standing hidden ranking formula which will overtime put you in some category.

We won, I'm now a 46, well played guys that was a close game.

I won, I camped with shotgun at the top of sword base and got a 1600, that slots into a wide range of results that maybe in a week might move me somewhere in the division, of course I won't find out until the end of the month.

Gui_PT

WJD said:
Really? I can't see how any possible downsides would negate the massive positives.

If people in Reach quit because they lose a round or get a gametype they don't want to play, I don't see them remotely interested in joining a game where their team is already losing.

Edit: Anyone interested in partying up for a few games?

Falt

Gui_PT said:
If people in Reach quit because they lose a round or get a gametype they don't want to play, I don't see them remotely interested in joining a game where their team is already losing.

Not to mention the black screen oblivion. Host migration would be dire if drop in drop out was implemented.

XxSnipedy0uxX quits
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry joins
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry realises it's Elite Slayer on Pinnacle AND his team is down 39-14.
ITSMatthewPerry quits
<Black Screen>

Rinse, repeat, fuck that.

Louis Wu

Falt said:
Not too mention the black screen oblivion. Host migration would be dire if drop in drop out was implemented.

XxSnipedy0uxX quits
<Black Screen>
ITSMathewPerry joins
<Black Screen>
ITSMathewPerry realises it's Elite Slayer on Pinnacle AND his team is down 39-14.
ITSMathewPerry quits
<Black Screen>

This.

I'm loving Reach's multiplay. I'm seeing almost no quitters (I played 15 games of Team Slayer and SWAT last night, there might have been one or two DNFs total), Armor Lock doesn't bother me 90% of the time, I don't give a shit about rank, if the team I'm playing with seems to work well together I stick with 'em, otherwise I drop back to the lobby and start over... pretty much everything folks are bitching about here is stuff that simply isn't affecting me. (There are a few things I wouldn't mind - more maps, for one. And I'd like to win more; I go in with randoms more often than not, and I hate having games like this one - but in general, I have a hell of a lot of fun playing the game.)

feel

Falt said:
Not to mention the black screen oblivion. Host migration would be dire if drop in drop out was implemented.

XxSnipedy0uxX quits
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry joins
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry realises it's Elite Slayer on Pinnacle AND his team is down 39-14.
ITSMatthewPerry quits
<Black Screen>

:lol

Yeah, no thanks.

Louis Wu said:
I'm loving Reach's multiplay. I'm seeing almost no quitters (I played 15 games of Team Slayer and SWAT last night, there might have been one or two DNFs total), Armor Lock doesn't bother me 90% of the time, I don't give a shit about rank, if the team I'm playing with seems to work well together I stick with 'em, otherwise I drop back to the lobby and start over... pretty much everything folks are bitching about here is stuff that simply isn't affecting me. (There are a few things I wouldn't mind - more maps, for one. And I'd like to win more; I go in with randoms more often than not, and I hate having games like this one - but in general, I have a hell of a lot of fun playing the game.)
Wow, this post is extremely spot-on on how I feel about the game.

edit- didn't have anything to say, but still, I didn't want it to be invisible, so random gif to the rescue:
n3ahzl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom