• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
yeah i would hate for bungie to implement join in progress. it's a lot better to have matches completely ruined because of quitters and having to suffer getting your ass beat in a 4vs8 BTB match.

so please, bungie, don't listen to these fools!

Calm down, they're not going to implement something like that based on people's complaints and that's probably impossible now anyway. If you get your ass beat in a 4 vs 8 match then you're probably pretty terrible because that should be an advantage. More of them to kill vs few of you.

Miggytronz

Louis Wu said:
This.

I'm loving Reach's multiplay. I'm seeing almost no quitters (I played 15 games of Team Slayer and SWAT last night, there might have been one or two DNFs total), Armor Lock doesn't bother me 90% of the time, I don't give a shit about rank, if the team I'm playing with seems to work well together I stick with 'em, otherwise I drop back to the lobby and start over... pretty much everything folks are bitching about here is stuff that simply isn't affecting me. (There are a few things I wouldn't mind - more maps, for one. And I'd like to win more; I go in with randoms more often than not, and I hate having games like this one - but in general, I have a hell of a lot of fun playing the game.)

<3 u

Falt said:
Not to mention the black screen oblivion. Host migration would be dire if drop in drop out was implemented.

XxSnipedy0uxX quits
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry joins
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry realises it's Elite Slayer on Pinnacle AND his team is down 39-14.
ITSMatthewPerry quits
<Black Screen>

Rinse, repeat, fuck that.
Yeah that would have happened if bunige had implemented a system like this.

Otherwise I like the Halo: Reach maps. But they sucked because of the stupid respawn places. In my opinion.

aesop

Louis Wu said:
This.

I'm loving Reach's multiplay. I'm seeing almost no quitters (I played 15 games of Team Slayer and SWAT last night, there might have been one or two DNFs total), Armor Lock doesn't bother me 90% of the time, I don't give a shit about rank, if the team I'm playing with seems to work well together I stick with 'em, otherwise I drop back to the lobby and start over... pretty much everything folks are bitching about here is stuff that simply isn't affecting me. (There are a few things I wouldn't mind - more maps, for one. And I'd like to win more; I go in with randoms more often than not, and I hate having games like this one - but in general, I have a hell of a lot of fun playing the game.)

So much this.

This would be awesome if it was done properly. (Not saying it isn't already awesome, it just likely needs a bit of tweaking still)

Classic Halo Reach (YouTube)

- Bloom Removal
- DMR Changed to 4 Shot
- AR Accuracy Decreased
- Pistol Damage Decreased
- No Fall Damage
- Jump Height/Gravity/Player Speed Altered

LosDaddie

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR

Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Showtime - 1000cR

Earn 5 assists in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Credits for Completion - 800cR

Complete 8 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Close Talking - 1000cR

Earn 20 kills with close quarters combat in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Nice. I haven't played Halo yet this week, so these extra 5k cRs will be a nice bonus tonight.

Falagard said:
I think it'd be fine. The difference between Halo and other games in the past was that many other games, such as CoD, would keep players on the same server between matches while Halo 2 and 3 would always find new players each game. Halo Reach has changed that model so that you stay together by default - and this makes drop-in and out more palatable because if you join a game in progress then at least after your current game there's a good chance you're going to be grouped with some people making the next match faster.

You'd still want to have penalties and bannings in place for quitters, but maybe give bonus credits to people who join a game in progress (joining would be done automatically through matchmaking) as an incentive.

I think it'd work.

When it was announced that you would stay in the game with the people you just played with, I kind of assumed that we would be heading in the direction of drop in -> drop out games.

In practice though, Halo players seem to REALLY hate staying in the game with the same people. I've only had 3/4 of the game stay in for the next about 10 times, 5 of those being from one time where I just managed to get in a room of really cool people, and we just had a ton of fun together.

I have a feeling we'd just end up back in the lobby, continously getting placed in half over games.

Not to mention the black screen oblivion. Host migration would be dire if drop in drop out was implemented.

XxSnipedy0uxX quits
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry joins
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry realises it's Elite Slayer on Pinnacle AND his team is down 39-14.
ITSMatthewPerry quits
<Black Screen>

If bungie wanted to seriously tackle Drop in drop out, I'm sure they could tweak the sensitivity of host migration, and maybe use your quitting percentage to prevent quitters.

All that being said, I'd rather no drop in drop out on 4 vs 4 matches, as I like how those gameetypes flow right now. Hell, I almost never have quitters in 4 vs 4. BTB on the other hand, seriously needs something. I'd love slightly longer BTB games with drop in drop out. I think that could work really well.

Devin said:
This would be awesome if it was done properly. (Not saying it isn't already awesome, it just likely needs a bit of tweaking still)

- Bloom Removal
- DMR Changed to 4 Shot
- AR Accuracy Decreased
- No Fall Damage

That pistol makes me so sad :(.

I haven't played it yet, wouldn't haveing zero bloom wreck havoc on the Auto aim in this game? It seems to me that the AA changes as your shots bloom out, and having zero bloom would have the same effect as making the hitboxes crazy huge.

Gui_PT

Devin Olsen said:

- Bloom Removal
- DMR Changed to 4 Shot
- AR Accuracy Decreased
- No Fall Damage

Oh god, Bungle, watch this video please.

Also,
199BF309-E033-4C2A-8005-A42C004E176C.png
:D :D

aesop

Devin Olsen said:

- Bloom Removal
- DMR Changed to 4 Shot
- AR Accuracy Decreased
- No Fall Damage

Ugh. No. Please, no.

Hit-scan without bloom is just bad. And by bad, I mean overpowered nonsense. I shouldn't be able to spam shots from long range and dominate.

chess

Devin Olsen said:

- Bloom Removal
- DMR Changed to 4 Shot
- AR Accuracy Decreased
- No Fall Damage

Horribly done. Classic Halo has fall damage and Reach jump height. Classic halo is a 3 shot pistol, no dmr, no bloom, 110-120% speed, same jump height. Unfortunately without modding the closest you can get is adjusting the base speed, weapon and damage resistance, resulting in a 4 shot pistol without completely turning nades and rockets into NUKES and makeing the sniper a one shot to the body.

http://sites.google.com/site/cecustomsnet/settings

I suggest using these settings on my site and tweak from there from some classic halo love. Unfortunately a new job means I don't have the time to invest tweaking and testing to make all the maps and settings more accurate. My live subscription ends today as well. :( Likely won't renew unless I see a classic list or get a family live pack with the kinect for Christmas.

Louis Wu said:

Agreed. Things get even better when you reduce the number of randoms you are paired with. If I'm forced to say what I "care about" in Halo it would be my win/loss record (which is not good) and if I'm being forced into games where my team is down by 20 then I would be very unhappy.

Having said that, if 343 is going to be serious about larger gametypes (like Invasion) in the next Halo, then giving players some sort of "I am willing to be dropped into games" option seems like a necessity. This would have to come with some sort of credit/stat/widget bonus for turning the game around or for outscoring the opponent after you are dropped in.

chess

Louis Wu said:
This.

casual fanboy! :p jk

I agree with you. If you just casually play and not take things serious it IS a lot of fun. Unfortunately those of us with a competitive side start to mentally scream at how much it is NOT fun when playing with that mindset. That's the issue I think. If I go and play just to play and prepare my mind for that I have a good experience. But once I start to care about winning or being competitive then that's when Reach fails(and I fail lol). :( I'm interested to see where MLG takes things. I bet sprint gets removed before the '11 season starts.

ps Tell Walker I got my FPS Freaks yesterday for the first 30 headshot entry. Good stocking stuffer for my son. :)

chess said:
casual fanboy! :p jk

ps Tell Walker I got my FPS Freaks yesterday for the first 30 headshot entry. Good stocking stuffer for my son. :)

Got mine from the contest too! (though I have no progeny, so they are mine all mine :p)

They look sweet as hell on the controller, but I haven't gotten used to them in game yet.

Once again thanks Wu and Kontrol Freaks!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gui_PT said:
Btw Plywood, lovin' your armor.
Thanks.
Louis Wu said:
This.

You are on Bungie's cool people who haven't said anything bad about Reach list, it means you don't randomly run into a glitch where you commit suicide in spite of not actually having committed suicide nor get griefed by teammates for the Sniper or just to grief just because nor do you get super cool kids who like to quit out when the score gets a little down.

RdN

aesop said:
Ugh. No. Please, no.

Hit-scan without bloom is just bad. And by bad, I mean overpowered nonsense. I shouldn't be able to spam shots from long range and dominate.

Agreed. And it would give people with better connections even more advantage than they have now.. and that'd be really bad.

Louis Wu

Plywood said:
Thanks.

You are on Bungie's cool people who haven't said anything bad about Reach list, it means you don't randomly run into a glitch where you commit suicide in spite of not actually having committed suicide nor get griefed by teammates for the Sniper or just to grief just because nor do you get super cool kids who like to quit out when the score gets a little down.

Nah - I get weird glitches all the time. Had one last week where a guy ran in front of me, I reflexively stuck him, suddenly died from his assassinating me (never mind that I was behind him), then earned a Showstopper medal when my grenade blew up during the assassination.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9785235&player=Louis Wu

Last night, we got griefed by a team that worked really well together, slaughtered us, then teabagged on EVERY SINGLE KILL.

And of COURSE I've had games where folks quit out when things started going badly. (Everyone has. I was just saying it doesn't happen all the time to me - in fact, it doesn't happen very often at all, to me.)

I take the good with the bad, though; every single bad thing that's happened to me in Reach has also happened to me in Halo 3, and it didn't stop me from playing there, either. (Well, okay, not EVERY bad thing; I don't think I ever played a game of CTF on Halo 3 where the flag was protected by a huge series of bubble shields from one end to the other. And I've never been AL-griefed in Halo 3. But shitty players - and by shitty players, I mean people with a shitty attitude, not players that aren't good - exist in EVERY game, and in fact in every walk of life - I do my best not to take 'em personally.)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Louis Wu said:
I guess the good outweighs a lot of the bad for you, I wish I could say the same for the most part, its just everything feels so pronounced and definitive in this game. So I can't help but get bummed out when something stupid happens and start posting my negative experience here.

Falt

Louis Wu said:
This.

Nailed how I'm feeling too.

Shake Appeal said:
Reach is awesome.

It could be much more awesome, sure, in many ways.

But it's pretty awesome all the same.
Hire Shake!

electricpirate said:
BTB on the other hand, seriously needs something. I'd love slightly longer BTB games with drop in drop out. I think that could work really well.

Sadly BTB suffers more so with quitters than any other playlist. I've made a conscience decision to avoid the playlist unless I have a large party. I still think drop in drop out no matter how it's implemented would pro-long the inevitable.

One of my worst experiences in BTB. Render appreciated :D

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9918637&player=Falt IV

I spent two games back to back playing with this guy. He hounded me when I picked up the sniper or when I got the wraith. Even plasma pistoled me while I was in a hog. Full on troll. I've never played with someone like this before. He pushed and pushed and pushed until I snapped. Good things do come to those who wait.

Miggytronz

There are instances where HALO can piss me off, its when TROLLS come in and bitch and completely ruin the game to where I almost quit but i dont.

For instance last night. Guy got mad I took the Wraith on hemmorage....so he made it his goal to follow me and knock my shields down leaving me 1 shot......it sucked.

Another game a guy got mad that our sniper was taken, so he hid in a corner the entire match.

electricpirate said:
Got mine from the contest too! (though I have no progeny, so they are mine all mine :p)

They look sweet as hell on the controller, but I haven't gotten used to them in game yet.

Once again thanks Wu and Kontrol Freaks!
I love them. I bought a pair after reading Wu's review of them, and I'm extremely satisfied with the purchase. I've gone from a crappy player to a partly-crappy player, so it's a huge plus for me. :lol

squidhands said:
I love them. I bought a pair after reading Wu's review of them, and I'm extremely satisfied with the purchase. I've gone from a crappy player to a partly-crappy player, so it's a huge plus for me. :lol

I think I'm going to experiment on myself a bit, and see if my KDR actually changes now that I'm using them. Right now I'm siting at a 1.02 KDR, so I think I'll calculate my monthly KDR, and see if it improves at all.

Science Bitches!

Out of all the problems I have with Reach, the only really severe one for me is the map selection. It just isn't good enough.

It's somewhat concerning I think, because map selection has grown increasingly weaker throughout the games. Of course, it was far from perfect in H1/H2, but both had a pretty strong selection. H3 had some good ones, more bad ones, and the rest were pretty mediocre. Reach's... well, let's just say it's easily the weakest set of launch maps in the series.

It doesn't matter how good the gameplay is, if the map selection isn't there to back it up.

The good maps in Reach aren't as versatile as the ones from earlier games either, which makes the entire situation worse. Let's take Lockout, for instance. You can play good games of Slayer, KoTH, Oddball, even 1 Flag and 1 Bomb work pretty well. The map might come up a lot but the experience still feels fresh because of the difference in gametypes.

Compare this to say, Countdown. Slayer is the only good gametype on there as far as I'm concerned. CTF/Assault is ridiculous. KoTH... eh maybe.

In short, there are dramatically fewer good gametype/map combinations, probably an order of magnitude below H2s. And that's why the experience - for me at least - has got tired so quickly.

Falagard

Falt said:

XxSnipedy0uxX quits
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry joins
<Black Screen>
ITSMatthewPerry quits
<Black Screen>

Host migration could use some work too though. For example, there are several games where host migration doesn't require a black screen / synchronization that lasts 30 seconds. Even though Perfect Dark Zero was generally disliked, it had great networking code. Host migration was instantaneous. CoD also has great host migration.

electricpirate said:
I think I'm going to experiment on myself a bit, and see if my KDR actually changes now that I'm using them. Right now I'm siting at a 1.02 KDR, so I think I'll calculate my monthly KDR, and see if it improves at all.

Science Bitches!
I've barely dabbled in Multiplayer, but I play a lot of custom games with people who are way better than I am. Since I got them, I can actually hold my own more often than not. I'd recommend playing some Campaign or Score Attack to get a feel for them; it can be a little jarring when you first use them.

squidhands said:
I've barely dabbled in Multiplayer, but I play a lot of custom games with people who are way better than I am. Since I got them, I can actually hold my own more often than not. I'd recommend playing some Campaign or Score Attack to get a feel for them; it can be a little jarring when you first use them.

yea, absolutely. They arrived just in time for me to get crackin on my legendary run!

Edit: I noticed right away that I needed to tweak my sensitivity. I suddenly noticed how slow turning was and how big the deadszones are on sensitivity 3.

Devin Olsen said:

- Bloom Removal
- DMR Changed to 4 Shot
- AR Accuracy Decreased
- No Fall Damage

Nice, a few more tweaks however and I could be in love.

aesop said:
This is a joke, right?

It has to be.

Yeah, host migration was terrible in MW2, however, it hasn't been too bad in Black Ops, I had a couple migrations but I haven't had a game drop because of it yet. Also it usually happens pretty fast, like 10-15 seconds or so.

The most unfortunate part of it all is that the map selection has gotten worse instead of better as each subsequent game released, with halo 2 being the exception. It doesn't make any sense and is ruining reach for me right now.

aesop

CrazedArabMan said:
Yeah, host migration was terrible in MW2, however, it hasn't been too bad in Black Ops, I had a couple migrations but I haven't had a game drop because of it yet. Also it usually happens pretty fast, like 10-15 seconds or so.

All I can add is anecdotal evidence, but I've had a few problems with host migration in Blops. It's not instantaneous and I've had it close the game and give an error message.

Don't get me wrong, I think the host migration in Reach needs some tweaking. But I just wanted to point out that CoD host migration isn't a fantastic experience either.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lead Based Paint said:
The most unfortunate part of it all is that the map selection has gotten worse instead of better as each subsequent game released, with halo 2 being the exception. It doesn't make any sense and is ruining reach for me right now.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hope the next map pack after Noble Map Pack has more maps, 5+ would be ideal.
10 would be a pipedream.

Schmitty

Plywood said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hope the next map pack after Noble Map Pack has more maps, 5+ would be ideal.
10 would be a pipedream.
Won't happen. If MS can charge 10 for 3, why add more without raising the price

aesop

Plywood said:
10 would be a pipedream.

As most have probably noticed, I don't have a lot of gripes with Reach. Map selection, however, is on the top of my short list. Noble map pack should help, as will the forgetacular winners, but we need at least 5 more original, non-forge world maps. Invasion is a great gametype and really fun with a group of friends. Two dedicated maps just don't cut it. I'm bored to death with Spire and Boneyard (which only took 24 games) and I'm afraid one more map won't do much to reinvigorate that playlist.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Schmitty said:
Won't happen. If MS can charge 10 for 3, why add more without raising the price
I'd be cool with 10 maps for 20.

They really need to get more maps out there and sooner.

kylej

Banned
Plywood said:
10 would be a pipedream.

Every motherfucking dev under the Microsoft umbrella should be making maps. Give me a Rare pack with giant pinata versions of Ogre 2 falling from the sky and avatars running around the outskirts of the map DMRing each other. Bungie's map making skills have failed to impress for about 4 years now so I am completely open to letting other folks try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom