• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Kuroyume said:
Can't find the overhead weapon placement maps at Bungie. Where are they?
At the top of the OP in the Noble Map Pack line. :p

Speaking of which, when we hit 20k in about 300 posts I'll start the new thread. I'm going to do one simple post that consists entirely of stuff like that, just links to resources, boiling it down to the essentials so they're easy to scan for.

Lazslo

I really wish there were two snipers on Anchor-9 similar to The Pit. The map still plays well without them, but I could only imagine how cool it would be if a sniper was on each base's outside space deck. At the start of each game, it would be a mad rush to each base's respective sniper similar to The Pit but this time it would be in a zero-g enviorment and awesomeness would ensue.

Kuroyume

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
At the top of the OP in the Noble Map Pack line. :p

Speaking of which, when we hit 20k in about 300 posts I'll start the new thread. I'm going to do one simple post that consists entirely of stuff like that, just links to resources, boiling it down to the essentials so they're easy to scan for.

Ah, thanks this weill be helpful.

Weird how one side gets the laser but not the other:

dlc_breakpoint.jpg

Laser and plasma launcher

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man, I don't know why but I always find the release of new maps to be disappointing in Halo. Every time they come out I get super excited. These maps are truly gorgeous and I think that they are probably good maps too. However, the games I get in the DLC playlists are just utter and complete dogshit in every way conceivable.

Last night I played TWO games of snipers on Breakpoint, both of which were marred by quitters and bad players. Had one game of CTF on Tempest where my team coundn't find their ass with both hands let alone a fucking flag. Then I had one decent game of Slayer on Tempest that timed out halfway through (seriously, I read a whole comic waiting for it to come back...).

Just got on tonight and got donked on in TS Breakpoint again, 75 - 30. It seems that no matter what I always get matched on a team that does not know how to play Halo. The other team meanwhile are filled with Banshee and rocket experts who can kill me from half a map away. When I'm the top player on a team and I know that I'm doing badly that's just not a good game by any standards.

Grrrr. I want to enjoy these maps, I want to have fun but for some reason I can't. In the past few games I have not had one enjoyable experience.

Anyone else ever feel this way or is it just me?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gui_PT said:
We have a party of 6. Are there 6 more in here interested in trying Invasion on Breakpoint?
I am if I can get on, what's the GT I message?

EDIT: Xbox.com lied. I'm Xbox Live 'Free' now. BS. :( Nevermind.

Merguson

Banned
Played the new maps last night.

I'm not too sure about Anchor 9 yet.. I have been playing it with 11 other people in the game so it gets a bit crowded. I'll reserve my opinion when I get some 4 vs. 4 action on it.

Haven't played Invasion on Breakpoint yet, but it's definitely a big map. Seems a bit too big but again, no 8 vs. 8 yet on it. Feels like I haven't explored the whole map yet; I never knew there was a sniper rifle beneath a bridge until I saw Mr Vociferous drop down to a walkway grabbing the sniper.

I think a good portion of the area of Tempest will go ignored by most people. Still need more time with it though.

Overall, it's nice to have some more maps and they seem to be average at best. I thought Breakpoint would have some areas I would completely ignore that isn't the case at all. Tempest, on the other hand, I'm completely ignoring several areas of the map.

Kuroyume said:
Ah, thanks this weill be helpful.

Weird how one side gets the laser but not the other:

dlc_breakpoint.jpg

Laser and plasma launcher
Picture doesn't give mention to the Hammer under the building with two Nerfles shown, and I'm pretty sure I picked up a Plasma Launcher on that long catwalk to the left of where One Flag spawn is.

kylej

Banned
Hopefully all the Anchor 9 positivity convinces Bungie to make a small symmetrical pack. Hell, farm it out to another team. Small/symmetrical = Halo's 4v4 bread and butter. Need more more more.

Kibbles

How are the forge pieces on Tempest?

[ps: The new location for this thread has been a struggle getting used to. :lol I always find myself searching the Gaming Discussion forum]

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
I missed your post, so thanks for linking to it. I played a game last night and was flabergasted when I emptied an entire clip from the Needler into a Spartan I'd flanked only to see his shield didn't even drop (no super combine, either), and then he turned around and mowed me down with the AR before I could move away. I think it would actually work better to reverse things a bit, and make the Elites as tough as the middle ranking Elites in regular Firefight (5-6 DMR shots to drop a shield) and normal shields for Spartans. The current clearly done so odds are tipped toward the Spartans a bit more, so maybe it wouldn't work the other way and I need to adjust. But it didn't feel right.

Was still fun though, especially as a change of pace for Firefight.
Heh - I had a lot of fun playing it last night. My first game was against Brutes - turned out to be difficult to keep my eyes on the baddies and still kill the Elites. I learned by the second game - and when I was playing as an Elite, I hung back with a Needle Rifle. Worked really well. :)

You and Dax may feel that the health allotments drive gameplay in the 'wrong' direction - but I loved the change of pace. I WISH there were a version of Firefight where some good shooters would hang back and try and take me out from a distance... the different tactics would keep me on my toes more. (Score Attack is pretty rote these days; I do things the same way, every time, because it's efficient and it works.)

Dirtbag

I love how a day or two after release everything is all roses and hearts on the new maps.
I'll be real curious to see what people really think about breakpoint in a few weeks.
I personally think its a pretty shitty map but then again I already think invasion is pretty garbo. So any map built with invasion in mind is going to be trash for me anyway. I think breakpoint really points out some of the other weaker points of the game besides armor lock. Like just how ridiculously accurate an unbloomed DMR is, and how it rapes ground movement on breakpoint. Or how weaksauce the warthog is, and just how innefective a jetpack renders a wraith. While armor lock seems to be a poor choice over the jetpack here, an armor lock negated splatter is still just as frustrating as ever and seems to be the only reason to choose AL on the map. Breakpoint is basically a giant version of Rat's nest with even less structure. It reminds me of the bastard love child of Avalanche and Rat's Nest.

Reach killed BTB, and vehicle combat sucks balls now. There I said it.

Raide

Kibbles said:

[ps: The new location for this thread has been a struggle getting used to. :lol I always find myself searching the Gaming Discussion forum]

Some nice new rocks and trees. Pretty much the same stuff available as is ForgeWorld. Already started making something new!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dirtbag said:
I love how a day or two after release everything is all roses and hearts on the new maps.
I'll be real curious to see what people really think about breakpoint in a few weeks.
I personally think its a pretty shitty map but then again I already think invasion is pretty garbo. So any map built with invasion in mind is going to be trash for me anyway. I think breakpoint really points out some of the other weaker points of the game besides armor lock. Like just how ridiculously accurate an unbloomed DMR is, and how it rapes ground movement on breakpoint. Or how weaksauce the warthog is, and just how innefective a jetpack renders a wraith. While armor lock seems to be a poor choice over the jetpack here, an armor lock negated splatter is still just as frustrating as ever and seems to be the only reason to choose AL on the map. Breakpoint is basically a giant version of Rat's nest with even less structure. It reminds me of the bastard love child of Avalanche and Rat's Nest.

Well, people hated CAGE, Paradiso, and Hemorrage right of the bat, so if that is any indicator these maps may still fare well in a few weeks too.

If Breakpoint is the one that looks like forge world, then yeah, I wasn't too fond of it either.

I like the snow map and anchor 9.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dirtbag said:

I already don't like Breakpoint. Maybe it's because I'm not playing it on Invasion or 8v8 BTB, but there's way too many vehicles and the map itself is just a weird, asymmetrical mess.

Anchor 9 and Tempest, however, are God sends. I like Anchor 9 more than Powerhouse and that's saying a lot.

Striker

Isn't there a Rocket Warthog in the Breakpoint Invasion variant? Could have swore somebody on Bungie mentioned it during a walk-through. I find the Warthogs just good where they are, not overpowered and not underpowered. They are similar to the 'hogs in Halo 2 where the chaingun was used for certain maps, but the Gauss was the wrecked powerhouse.

FourDoor

Shake Appeal said:
Breakpoint is the best map to drive a warthog on, no question.

Except when you run into the curb and flip the hog in the tunnel with the other team just waiting on the other side with their nades. :lol

Also I thought the Rocket Hog would be more powerful on the map but last night we nailed a group of people with it its rockets and it barely did anything. I guess it's meant more as an anti-banshee vehicle than an anti infantry vehicle.

Trasher said:
I heard Gran Turismo 5 is a pretty fun game too.
I don't even like vehicle play much! But it's like a big racetrack and you can usually tell where the rockets/laser/banshee will come from! My buddy got a Road Hog!

Domino Theory said:
I already don't like Breakpoint. Maybe it's because I'm not playing it on Invasion or 8v8 BTB, but there's way too many vehicles and the map itself is just a weird, asymmetrical mess.

Agreed. 2 Banshees makes it so annoying and there are only a few weapons to take them down properly.

Banshees were more fun in matchmaking when they couldn't fire fuel rods too.

MMaRsu

Kibbles said:

Uhh you don't use subscriptions?

Grimm Fandango said:
Agreed. 2 Banshees makes it so annoying and there are only a few weapons to take them down properly.

Banshees were more fun in matchmaking when they couldn't fire fuel rods too.

Two banshees are only a problem if you let the other team grab both. Aside from that, you have a laser, two rockets ( right? ) and loads of sticky's.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Heh - I had a lot of fun playing it last night. My first game was against Brutes - turned out to be difficult to keep my eyes on the baddies and still kill the Elites. I learned by the second game - and when I was playing as an Elite, I hung back with a Needle Rifle. Worked really well. :)

You and Dax may feel that the health allotments drive gameplay in the 'wrong' direction - but I loved the change of pace. I WISH there were a version of Firefight where some good shooters would hang back and try and take me out from a distance... the different tactics would keep me on my toes more.
I can see that, and I'll be playing a fair chunk of Versus. Like I said, it might be that I'm just not used to it. Ever since wiping egg off my face on the Beta I've tried not to be so knee-jerk. (Which is why I haven't written my Campaign review yet, though I have an outline.) :p

Louis Wu said:
(Score Attack is pretty rote these days; I do things the same way, every time, because it's efficient and it works.)
Agree, I've got my routine down pat as well. I'm hoping for a new variant or two in December. I'd like to see a version more like regular Firefight, where enemies are mixed together rather than in grouped waves. I had a game on Overlook this weekend where all three other players lagged/dropped out after about ten minutes, and it was just me. And I went on an 80+ kill streak that was just insane, running all over the place scrambling for weapons, with Elites, Brutes, Skirmishers, Grunts and a Wraith all in play at once. It felt like a turbo-charged round of Score Attack and I treated it as such. It. Was. Awesome.

Kibbles said:

Yeah, I came back from my trip and couldn't for the life of me find this thread. I ended up googling it :lol Pretty quick and easy to find it in the community section though.

Kibbles

MMaRsu said:
Uhh you don't use subscriptions?
Hm. I do now. I thought it emailed you whenever there was a new post (although I see you can change that under User Options) for the longest time, since before I came to GAF, so I never attempted using it really.

[edit] wtf at the achievements. 13pts, 42pts? :lol

Dirtbag

Kibbles said:

The same exact pieces from forgeworld. Nothing new and no good areas to forge on. It's basically open to someone using the existing terrain in an interesting manner. I don't expect it to out-do forgeworld and its more varied landscape options.

Dirtbag

Major Williams said:
Surprisingly, the least 'pretty' map was the most fun to play - Anchor 9.

I thought it's one of the prettier Halo maps ever, though not the best looking of the trio. To each his own.

Dirtbag said:
I thought it's one of the prettier Halo maps ever, though not the best looking of the trio. To each his own.
Yeah, that's what I meant - of the DLC.

I used the turret on the map... and I had so much fun. I was that newb who was mowing down bunches of guys from up top.

Dirtbag

I think it's the lighting and scale on the new maps that really does it for me. It seriously the best 3 environments in the series. Absolutely jaw dropping. Does kind of bum me out that these artist didn't get to dive into some forerunner environments in campaign using this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom