• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinjo

New maps are fun. Anchor 9 is the best of the lot. Tempest for some reason hasn't totally clicked yet. I also seem to die a lot on Breakpoint. :lol

Does anyone have those overview maps for the new maps? I want to take a look at the weapon spawns again, because I thought there was no sniper on Tempest, but I've seen someone running around with one before, so now I'm not sure.

Jinjo said:
Does anyone have those overview maps for the new maps? I want to take a look at the weapon spawns again, because I thought there was no sniper on Tempest, but I've seen someone running around with one before, so now I'm not sure.
Don't have the overhead to hand, but there are two snipers on Tempest, diagonal from each other. When you run through the mancannon to the left of either base (just in front of rockets), the sniper will be ahead of you somewhere on a rock when you land.

Miggytronz

Shake Appeal said:
Don't have the overhead to hand, but there are two snipers on Tempest, diagonal from each other. When you run through the mancannon to the left of either base (just in front of rockets), the sniper will be ahead of you somewhere on a rock when you land.

the other is behind the downed Pelican at the Beach.

Miggytronz

HuPYp.jpg

Falagard

Hey You said:
I'm not a huge fan of tempest. Dunno why.

Because you hate fun.

Great new maps.

Tempest is my clear favorite - it feels like a mix between Standoff and Vahalla.

Anchor 9 is good. The zero gravity is better than I thought it would be.

I only got to play a couple games of one flag CTF on Breakpoint but it was also a great map for that game type. Very reminiscent of a few other Halo maps, including Waterworks and for some reason, Zanzibar.

Oh and all the maps look friggin great.

Good job, Bungie.

The ambient noise on these maps is insane. Tempest in particular, when the...whatever it is fires off (anyone notice the hidden cave?) is entrancing. Glad I looked at all the maps in forge before I started playing.

Is it me or do you actually hear your own breathing when you go out to the zero-g section of Anchor 9?

I personally think there should have been 2 dlc playlists, one for 4v4/ 5v5 with Anchor 9 and Tempest and one invasion playlist pretty much purely for Breakpoint. Its hard to get a feel for Breakpoint without playing it in its natural playlist.

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm trying to understand the logic here. Domino hooked me up with the map pack. I showed him my gratitude. Formed my opinion of the map pack. Now I'm ungrateful to Domino because of that?

1+2=4? Huh?

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
Man, I never thought I would have to lay the dong down on mah boy KyleJ.

Anytime GAF wants to play 4v4 let me know. The best 4 from here are probably you, juices and Tashi and someone else I would imagine. It will be a glorious display of people frantically jumping around with no shields praying that their DMR actually kills the other person.

Kuroyume said:
I'm trying to understand the logic here. Domino hooked me up with the map pack. I showed him my gratitude. Formed my opinion of the map pack. Now I'm ungrateful to Domino because of that?

1+2=4? Huh?
I think your gratitude is invalid after you used Domino's kindness (giving you the maps for free) as the tissue to wipe your ass with (Your regular bitching about Reach) after your shitty time with the maps (Your expected attitude towards the maps).

Hey You said:
I think I just don't like the scenery. Too...gah whats the word for it. Hard to explain.

Really? I think the map is just gorgeous. They absolutely nailed that "High Sierra" look to the level. I feel like a kid again, hiking around deslolation wilderness, or on the Pacific Rim Trail when I walk around on it.

Willeth

electricpirate said:
UGH. at sticky icky challenge.
It's not too hard. It was one of the easier achievements in Halo 3, and you didn't have Elite Slayer to give you a plentiful supply of stickies.

Admittedly, you also didn't have Armor Lock, but still.

Willeth said:
It's not too hard. It was one of the easier achievements in Halo 3, and you didn't have Elite Slayer to give you a plentiful supply of stickies.

Admittedly, you also didn't have Armor Lock, but still.

It's just one of those, "Hey let's change behavior in an annoying way" challenge. It'll also mean more people voting for Elite slayer, which is just sad :(.

LosDaddie

Banned
Aww damn...there were map pack and flaming helmet codes being given out and I missed it. :( Hopefully, I can buy the maps soon.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I got the credits for the 3-game-completion challenge yesterday. But I still had a great time playing last night. I got the other challenges done, and was able to get around 8k credits last night for about an hour's gaming.

EDIT: There's Firefight Vs now? Nice. I'll try it out.

absolutely stunning skyboxes, et. al. major props to all who worked on them.

these new maps are really making me wish that my 360 wasn't still at my mom's from thanksgiving! why does she have to love rock band so!

Willeth

electricpirate said:
It's just one of those, "Hey let's change behavior in an annoying way" challenge. It'll also mean more people voting for Elite slayer, which is just sad :(.
Well, that's challenges in general (and some achievements).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm about to hop on for some DLC playlist. Message me if you wanna play.

edit: No mic right now btw :/

Kujo

Woo, got the double kill from grave achievement by trying to do the 5 sticky challenge in Elite Slayer (Rumble Pit). Plasma nades all over the dang place

The DMR ach is weird, didn't get it while shooting all the way from the top of Spire to the further sniper spawn, but did ontop of the rocks in Paridiso to the base, which seemed much closer.

I like the new maps (thanks again DT), yet to play Tempest in matchmaking though. Breakpoint is probably my favourite BTB map in the game. Kinda get a Waterworks vibe from it

Kuroyume

Banned
Hydranockz said:
I think your gratitude is invalid after you used Domino's kindness (giving you the maps for free) as the tissue to wipe your ass with (Your regular bitching about Reach) after your shitty time with the maps (Your expected attitude towards the maps).

I think you're really dumb. Flat out said it. It's unfair to check the thread and see some lunatic getting all passive aggressive and attacking my character in such a baseless way. Using Domino's kindness to attack Reach? Reach which I've played a ton of and which I have been a vocal defender of in relation to Halo 3? Had I gotten the maps from Bungie I obviously would have shown some tact and either kept the opinions to myself or expressed them differently, but I should note that I haven't said anything with vitriol. Hell, some folks on here got maps from Bungie in the past and have been critical of them too. Are we going to pretend that Halo Gaffers haven't said anything negative about Foundry, Rat's Nest, Black Out etc.? This is to just too awkward and unfair.

I think later today I'm going to hop in Forge and edit the spawns on Tempest and Breakpoint to the more traditional style as seen in Halo 3's BTB, while altering some weapon and vehicle spawns. I'm curious to see how different they play and if they play any better.

Would love to try 'em out in GAF customs.

Edit: Speaking of spawns, I was playing Big Team Slayer on Breakpoint and got killed in a rather frustrating way that wouldn't have happened in Halo 3. It was early in the game, so my team generally had a "side" still. I just spawned and was deciding where to go, when two red guys spawned behind me and killed me. :|

Speaking of BTB Slayer, I'm still confused as to why it's only until 75 kills and not 100. I mean, 75 kills makes sense for 6v6, but not 8v8.

Here's how kills should play out
4v4: 50 kills to win
6v6: 75 kills to win
8v8: 100 kills to win

Mojo said:
Woo, got the double kill from grave achievement by trying to do the 5 sticky challenge in Elite Slayer (Rumble Pit). Plasma nades all over the dang place

The DMR ach is weird, didn't get it while shooting all the way from the top of Spire to the further sniper spawn, but did ontop of the rocks in Paridiso to the base, which seemed much closer.

I like the new maps (thanks again DT), yet to play Tempest in matchmaking though. Breakpoint is probably my favourite BTB map in the game. Kinda get a Waterworks vibe from it
Same, with a touch of Rat's Nest bases thrown in the middle of it. Me likey.

Kuroyume said:
Had I gotten the maps from Bungie I obviously would have shown some tact and either kept the opinions to myself or expressed them differently, but I should note that I haven't said anything with vitriol.
So wait, if Bungie gave you the maps you would have "shown some tact", but because it was Domino who paid for you to play them, and gifted them to you at the expense of numerous other people who would have gladly taken the code, you don't care to be grateful?

Stay classy.

Dax01 said:
I think later today I'm going to hop in Forge and edit the spawns on Tempest and Breakpoint to the more traditional style as seen in Halo 3's BTB, while altering some weapon and vehicle spawns. I'm curious to see how different they play and if they play any better.

Would love to try 'em out in GAF customs.
Replace Tempest rockets with two fully-clipped grenade launchers, plz. And increase vehicle spawn times on Breakpoint.

Also, try and find out why sometimes one member of a team will spawn in the middle of Anchor 9, away from everyone else and really near the other team, who usually mob him.

Interested to try out your variations at customs Dax, hope that could happens this weekend, I might actually be there :eek:.
Yeah Shake, you might right about the vehicle spawn times on Breakpoint, it occurred to me in my Wraith and Banshee good times last night that I was surprised by how quickly fresh copies spawned.

Cuban Legend said:
I've been told that it's a Longsword.
:lol
Repeated utterances from me last night:
"Guy(s) down by the dropship." *pause* "Fuck, I meant the Longsword!"

Kuroyume said:
I think you're really dumb. Flat out said it. It's unfair to check the thread and see some lunatic getting all passive aggressive and attacking my character in such a baseless way. Using Domino's kindness to attack Reach? Reach which I've played a ton of and which I have been a vocal defender of in relation to Halo 3? Had I gotten the maps from Bungie I obviously would have shown some tact and either kept the opinions to myself or expressed them differently, but I should note that I haven't said anything with vitriol. Hell, some folks on here got maps from Bungie in the past and have been critical of them too. Are we going to pretend that Halo Gaffers haven't said anything negative about Foundry, Rat's Nest, Black Out etc.? This is to just too awkward and unfair.
Think whatever you like about me dude. Vocal defender of Reach? :lol

Your opinion of the maps is perfectly ok to express. Annoying at times but still fine. HaloGaf has been pretty content with opinions both supporting and criticising Reach's experiences.

You just left a really sour taste in anyone's mouth that read your post and I stand by what I said.

Shake Appeal said:
Replace Tempest rockets with two fully-clipped grenade launchers, plz. And increase vehicle spawn times on Breakpoint.

No way, if they are too dominating, I say just drop each Rocket Launcher down to just 2 rockets. As is though they are such a fun way to WRECK hogs. Rocketing them is my favorite part of the map. That downslope to the water just seems to carry them, flipping and rolling into the drink.

electricpirate said:
No way, if they are too dominating, I say just drop each Rocket Launcher down to just 2 rockets. As is though they are such a fun way to WRECK hogs. Rocketing them is my favorite part of the map. That downslope to the water just seems to carry them, flipping and rolling into the drink.
That'd work too, and would make it even more like Standoff.

But you can never have too many grenade launchers!!!

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
That'd work too, and would make it even more like Standoff.

But you can never have too many grenade launchers!!!
One thing I kind of miss is there's nothing to fight over on the center of the map, each team has their own power weapons. I'd like to see a variant where a single rocket launcher spawns at center, ala the laser on Standoff, and there's a shootout at the beginning of the round to claim them.

GhaleonEB said:
One thing I kind of miss is there's nothing to fight over on the center of the map, each team has their own power weapons. I'd like to see a variant where a single rocket launcher spawns at center, ala the laser on Standoff, and there's a shootout at the beginning of the round to claim them.
While I do like people contesting an area to control a power weapon, Standoff is a bad example because the laser was the worst thing about that map, allowing one team to dominate with ease if they could control it while their vehicles were up. Valhalla had the same problem. At least with Tempest both teams have an anti-vehicle weapon not far from their base, and their enemies would have to work hard to seize both.

Although with the way Dax is describing the moving spawn locations, I guess it would be less of a problem, because teams can't set up on you the way they could in Halo 3.

I mean partly I am plain wary of the Reach rocket launcher because it seems more powerful than 3's (at least against infantry), and yet is harder to avoid (because of decreased movement speed and jumping). If someone plays it safe with rockets, they have four free kills minimum in their back pocket. It's a unstoppable force on Anchor 9, for instance, unless someone blows themselves up on a shield door.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
While I do like people contesting an area to control a power weapon, Standoff is a bad example because the laser was the worst thing about that map, allowing one team to dominate with ease if they could control it while their vehicles were up. Valhalla had the same problem. At least with Tempest both teams have an anti-vehicle weapon not far from their base, and their enemies would have to work hard to seize both.
Which is why I said rockets, not laser. :p

For customs I always preferred the laser on Standoff and Valhalla to be swapped with rockets.

I think Tempest is segmented enough that Warthogs would have a hard time dominating, as they're susceptible to sticks/plasma over charges/rolling while infantry moves among the rocks, tunnels and man cannons. But to flesh out my thought on it, I'd like to see each side with a Concussion Rifle in place of rockets, which would aid in tossing enemy vehicles around without putting too much firepower on the map. And then put just two rockets in the launcher at center. Would be a variant I could whip up for customs just to try out at any rate.

But mostly I like the territorial clashes that come with central items to fight over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom