• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeth

Just had the most ridiculous game of Invasion. Both phase 1 and 2 were capped with one second on the clock against us.

There was also a Bungie dude in the game - does anyone know B5D Raiden? Thank him for the brospawnage if so. Assuming he wasn't a modder. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Which is why I said rockets, not laser. :p
Right, and I take your point that the warthog is less dominant than it was in Halo 3 (sadly, I think the main reason is just how easy it is to flip it), but the idea of having fewer ways to deal with the enemy team having a warthog up and rockets in their possession makes me a little troubled.

In general, though, I'm in favour of there being fewer rockets. Concussion rifles don't appeal to me, though. The enclosed rock spaces, tunnels, etc. mean people could easily dominate against infantry with them (though not as easily as with rockets, granted). They'd have to be on a long timer.

Shake Appeal said:
Also, try and find out why sometimes one member of a team will spawn in the middle of Anchor 9, away from everyone else and really near the other team, who usually mob him.
I investigated this.

I think it's a consequence of the playlist being 6v6 and red/blue teams only having four initial spawns for team games defined; the other two players get shunted out to other locations, and sometimes (always?) the game picks kooky ones, like right by shotgun.

Also, the rockets timer is 90 seconds?! B.A.N.A.N.A.S.

GhaleonEB said:
Shake Appeal said:
While I do like people contesting an area to control a power weapon, Standoff is a bad example because the laser was the worst thing about that map, allowing one team to dominate with ease if they could control it while their vehicles were up. Valhalla had the same problem. At least with Tempest both teams have an anti-vehicle weapon not far from their base, and their enemies would have to work hard to seize both.

Although with the way Dax is describing the moving spawn locations, I guess it would be less of a problem, because teams can't set up on you the way they could in Halo 3.

I mean partly I am plain wary of the Reach rocket launcher because it seems more powerful than 3's (at least against infantry), and yet is harder to avoid (because of decreased movement speed and jumping). If someone plays it safe with rockets, they have four free kills minimum in their back pocket. It's a unstoppable force on Anchor 9, for instance, unless someone blows themselves up on a shield door.
Which is why I said rockets, not laser. :p

For customs I always preferred the laser on Standoff and Valhalla to be swapped with rockets.

I think Tempest is segmented enough that Warthogs would have a hard time dominating, as they're susceptible to sticks/plasma over charges/rolling while infantry moves among the rocks, tunnels and man cannons. But to flesh out my thought on it, I'd like to see each side with a Concussion Rifle in place of rockets, which would aid in tossing enemy vehicles around without putting too much firepower on the map. And then put just two rockets in the launcher at center. Would be a variant I could whip up for customs just to try out at any rate.

But mostly I like the territorial clashes that come with central items to fight over.
Hm. Looks like Tempest might require several games of tweaking. I like the idea of something to fight over in the middle, but I'm unsure what to do about rockets. They haven't been a huge problem, nor have the warthogs have been a problem from the games I played. For the first tweak, I think I may place two concussion rifles in place of the rockets then have the rockets in the middle in between the two turrets. I dunno, we'll see. Grenade launchers may do just as well in place of concussion rifles.
Hydranockz said:
Isn't it a Sabre?
Nah, it's a Longsword.

Brainboy

electricpirate said:
Hey, is BrainBoy from GAF? I noticed he was in a game with shake and I didn't know who he was.

As Shake said, I've been playing Halo with him for ages, and I do post on GAF - just not very often. If you need to make space on your friends list or whatever, feel free to delete me. I assure you I won't be offended. :)

I'm having a little trouble getting Kills from the Grave. Just last game, I threw a grenade, and I died. Moments after, a "Double Kill"-message popped up, but no "Kill from the Grave"-medal. I thought I'd knocked that particular pain in the ass-achievement out already, but alas. :(

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
Im up for it! Seems like it would be good.

Nobody else is even on. And I'd like to get that stockpile achievement but I need a decent team

Edit: Yeah gg's. But I've been having terrible lag today =\

Blue Ninja said:
I'm having a little trouble getting Kills from the Grave. Just last game, I threw a grenade, and I died. Moments after, a "Double Kill"-message popped up, but no "Kill from the Grave"-medal. I thought I'd knocked that particular pain in the ass-achievement out already, but alas. :(
Got that one by pure luck in Boneyard invasion last night. I was running my Elite ass up the stairs in stage 1 when I ran smack dab into three defenders. Just as they lit me up I managed to get one of them with a sticky before falling to a hail of bullets.

That one stickied dude blew up taking his friend with him, but THAT explosion also set off a grenade that the third defender had just thrown, and it took him out too a second later.

TRIPLE KILL. From the grave. Good times :)

But I have to admit, nothing felt better than getting an achievement for Armor-Lock-exploding a banshee swooping in for a splatter. The explosion made me smile, the achievement got a solid scream of victory out of me.

feel

The next map pack needs to come out asap, this game's overall map selection is still salvageable if they keep up with this quality.

And again, huge thanks to Frankie and Omlet for hooking up two broke friends of mine with maps. I really wanted to pay or give something back for Omlet's since he spent money on them, but he insisted on letting me have them for free, amazing guy. Oh and Ghal too for giving me my own code of course.

NG28

I decided to pick up Reach during the Amazon sale. It came in the mail today and my xbox won't read the disc. I googled and found out a bunch of people had this problem during launch. At first I thought it was my disc, but read that Reach works on some xbox and not others. Is that true, or did I just get one of many bad discs?

Striker

NG28 said:
I decided to pick up Reach during the Amazon sale. It came in the mail today and my xbox won't read the disc. I googled and found out a bunch of people had this problem during launch. At first I thought it was my disc, but read that Reach works on some xbox and not others. Is that true, or did I just get one of many bad discs?
I had an older Xbox and I had disc error issues with ODST and Reach. At least in Reach it was during heavy cut-scenes and it also would not read some maps at times. It didn't load Boardwalk. I went out and bought a new 360 Slim, however, and all's been great since.

Tempest doesn't need anything in the middle. But if the Rocket Launcher is 4 shots color me disappointed. For some reason Bungie seems to push the limit with that in every map so far. From Boardwalk, Powerhouse, Reflection, and to others. Just make the clip 2 rounds and set the timer at 120 or 180. It's far too frequent.

Edit: Speaking of spawns, I was playing Big Team Slayer on Breakpoint and got killed in a rather frustrating way that wouldn't have happened in Halo 3. It was early in the game, so my team generally had a "side" still. I just spawned and was deciding where to go, when two red guys spawned behind me and killed me. :|
Happened often for me. High Ground, Last Resort, and Sandtrap did it to me consistently.

FourDoor

After playing with the new maps last night here are my initial impressions:

Anchor9 vs Unanchored:

I'm still mixed between the 2 map variants as to which one I like better. I thought the ability to run through the shield doors when you're low on energy to avoid being killed was nice. But at the same time during the hot potato game, it was nice to see that Bungie already addressed the griefing people could do with the shield doors. And oh yeah, falling to your death out in space is just sweet. :D

Tempest:

This map is the reimagined successor to Standoff. I can't wait to get some good old fashioned BTB games in it. (Just needs more DMRs for the AR start games) LOL

Breakpoint:

This map reminds me so much of Waterworks from Halo 2 for some reason. The high sniper hill ridge, the inner tunnels opening up to huge open spaces, and then the banshees!

This map has brought about some of the most fun/natural view of Invasion that I have played to date. The only gripe I see is that from Stage 1 to Stage 2 where the offensive team has to pick up a bomb and arm it, the bomb spawns in the same area that the defensive team is defending the initial cap points. This makes it easy for the defending team to just camp the bomb spawn room to slow down the offensive team.

Also I predict a lot of 0 to 0 tied games of 1flag CTF on this map.

Jinjo

Jackpot bonus is absolute bullshit. For the first time in my Reach career I managed to get a time-out after some rage-quits and host connection fails on my part. I never hit the jackpot bonus once in my non-quitting spree of I don't know how many games. 2 games after the time-out is over. I hit the jackpot. :lol

FourDoor said:
Breakpoint:

This map reminds me so much of Waterworks from Halo 2 for some reason. The high sniper hill ridge, the inner tunnels opening up to huge open spaces, and then the banshees!

This map has brought about some of the most fun/natural view of Invasion that I have played to date. The only gripe I see is that from Stage 1 to Stage 2 where the offensive team has to pick up a bomb and arm it, the bomb spawns in the same area that the defensive team is defending the initial cap points. This makes it easy for the defending team to just camp the bomb spawn room to slow down the offensive team.

Also I predict a lot of 0 to 0 tied games of 1flag CTF on this map.
Only time I've seen a score was during a host change/blackscreen. New Warthog respawned next to the flag (which is bad positioning, IMO) afterward and we were able to drive off with it immediately.

Striker

squidhands said:
Only time I've seen a score was during a host change/blackscreen. New Warthog respawned next to the flag (which is bad positioning, IMO) afterward and we were able to drive off with it immediately.
It was just me and another friend playing yesterday, and was able to score with four randoms.

Kuroyume

Banned
Breakpoint is Avalanche meets Rat's Nest. I think I could tolerate most of the vehicles on there, but the Banshees need to go.

Also is it me, or is the game giving more Cr now? I had a couple of 1600 and 2000+ points from regular games last night.

Only played one game on it so far but Anchor 9 is probably my favorite of the bunch. Figured it would have been Breakpoint prior to the pack coming out but those vehicles are too much. Also, the random spawn points on there are really dumb. I would much prefer specific points for each team.

Striker said:
It was just me and another friend playing yesterday, and was able to score with four randoms.
In all honesty, I think everyone in the game that I played was too busy just running around the map and playing Slayer. It's actually a pretty short trip if you take the sniper tunnel, so I imagine once I can find a game with folks willing to play an objective game it'll go differently.

Miggytronz

Kuroyume said:
Breakpoint is Avalanche meets Rat's Nest. I think I could tolerate most of the vehicles on there, but the Banshees need to go.

Also is it me, or is the game giving more Cr now? I had a couple of 1600 and 2000+ points from regular games last night.

Only played one game on it so far but Anchor 9 is probably my favorite of the bunch. Figured it would have been Breakpoint prior to the pack coming out but those vehicles are too much. Also, the random spawn points on there are really dumb. I would much prefer specific points for each team.

the higher rank you are the more Cr you get each round.

I think I read this in a BWU.

Gui_PT

People playing Firefight VS are soooooooo stupid!

They just walk around killing grunts. Don't they know that the faster they kill the grunts, the faster the round ends? The faster the round ends, the less elites you kill, so you get less points!

ARGH!

Gui_PT said:

They just walk around killing grunts. Don't they know that the faster they kill the grunts, the faster the round ends? The faster the round ends, the less elites you kill, so you get less points!

ARGH!
That's not even the most frustrating aspect about Firefight VS.

Gui_PT said:

ARGH!

You wanna party up in a bit GUI? I just played with a friend of a friend, and he was a idiot. (Matchmaking decided to pair me up with him unfortunatly lol) - he did the same sorta stuff you mentioned. Before that I had a game where my dude quit out, that was great.

All in all Firefight versus has had the awesome game mode, crappy gametype implimentation problem that Bungie has had with weirder gametypes - why exactly are the Elites so weak?

I have to say though, that 3 shot DMR kills feel awesome, if Reach was 4 shot kills I think I would find it a lot more satisfying.

Really enjoyed Breakpoint last night. It's the first map that it was actually fun to drive the Warthog on. Every other map leads to tons of flips (Reach's warthog has a CG that's way too high, combined with a soft suspension = no fun). But my gunner and I were able to get a nice killing frenzy in a Team Slayer match. Nothing outstanding, but solid and the first one I've gotten in Reach.

Anchor 9 and Tempest I think will be great for 4v4, but with 12 people on the map is too much.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:

Yeah, I saw your post and agree with everything. It just pissed me off, how dumb people can be sometimes.

bobs99 ... said:
You wanna party up in a bit GUI? I just played with a friend of a friend, and he was a idiot. (Matchmaking decided to pair me up with him unfortunatly lol) - he did the same sorta stuff you mentioned. Before that I had a game where my dude quit out, that was great.

All in all Firefight versus has had the awesome game mode, crappy gametype implimentation problem that Bungie has had with weirder gametypes - why exactly are the Elites so weak?

I have to say though, that 3 shot DMR kills feel awesome, if Reach was 4 shot kills I think I would find it a lot more satisfying.

I'd like to do invasion, but no one is on. People say they want to do it but only I only see 1 gaffer online

Jinjo said:
Jackpot bonus is absolute bullshit. For the first time in my Reach career I managed to get a time-out after some rage-quits and host connection fails on my part. I never hit the jackpot bonus once in my non-quitting spree of I don't know how many games. 2 games after the time-out is over. I hit the jackpot. :lol

Well, I have never got at so at least you did..

FourDoor

squidhands said:

Yeah I just don't know if we're missing some key ways into the flag area or not but it was very difficult to get the flag out of that general courtyard since there is essentially one way in.

The tunnel could use a large crate there for some cover imo.

FourDoor

Also one more random thought:

Like some here, I had to delete some some stuff on the old 20GB HDD I have to install these 3 new DLC maps. Which had me thinking.

Could part of the reason for a lack of number of launch maps for Reach was that Reach hit the DVD9 storage space limit? /conspiracy theory.

Played a large number of games on the new maps last night.

This might anger some people, but my first game was Stockpile and my team got the achievement on the first flag collection. That makes up a little bit for my struggles with "If they Came to Hear me complain about glitched achievements".

Tempest is great. Somehow captures the feel of Valhalla while eliminating the things that were annoying about it. 2 rockets per launcher might be better, but that's coming from someone that really likes the warthog.

Anchor 9 is waaaaaay more fun than I thought it would be. I suspect it will play even better as a 4v4 map. Space is great so glad that Bungie figured out how to use space as a way to enhance player movement.

Breakpoint is a little bit zany as a 6 v 6 slayer map vehiclepalooza, but I had many good times on it. Sports Center Highlight: teammate takes ghost up the middle ridge and splatters a sniper that was camping up there, then the guy driving my warthog decides to follow suit. I rewarded his audacity with a wheelman medal.

I'm so glad that these maps are as good as they are. Can't wait until they spread to the general matchmaking populace.

Also, it's pretty cool that Devin, Domino, Urk, etc gave the maps out to those that needed them. Knowing what I know about the internet, I'm still half-expecting there to be some kind of creepy catch...like Domino is going to show up on people's doorsteps to "collect" what he is "owed". I have an active imagination...

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I missed your post, so thanks for linking to it. I played a game last night and was flabergasted when I emptied an entire clip from the Needler into a Spartan I'd flanked only to see his shield didn't even drop (no super combine, either), and then he turned around and mowed me down with the AR before I could move away. I think it would actually work better to reverse things a bit, and make the Elites as tough as the middle ranking Elites in regular Firefight (5-6 DMR shots to drop a shield) and normal shields for Spartans. The current clearly done so odds are tipped toward the Spartans a bit more, so maybe it wouldn't work the other way and I need to adjust. But it didn't feel right.

Was still fun though, especially as a change of pace for Firefight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom