• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
In 16 days I have earned ~250K credits via 100% normal play. No boosting of any kind. Not even excessive Gruntpocalypse. I've played a lot (every day for at least an hour, most days 2 hours) but I have a job and a wife, so I have not played as much as many.

This works out to ~500K credits a month. or 6 million a year, if this level of play would be sustained.

So, after three years of steady, nightly play, I would be close to the final rank.

Honestly... that sounds about right to me. Hardcore non-boosting players that spend all their free time (~6 hours daily) could probably get there in 10 months to 1 year. More casual but still dedicated players (the amount I have been playing) will take 3 years to get there.

Of course, the truth is that my play time will drop off at some point. I'm just saying, a casual comparison of my play time vs. the credit requirements seems to balance out nicely.

Oozer3993

The Lamonster said:
As far as that Splash Damage commendation, what happens after Onyx? I noticed my bar was still starting to fill up once I hit Onyx.

You still get credits for each kill you get past Onyx until you hit the MAX number, at which point you will no longer earn any credits for getting those kills.

Victrix

*beard*
divisionbyzorro said:
:lol :lol

Off-topic:
Didn't you do a lot of livestreaming a while back, or do I have you confused with someone else? I used to watch those streams all the time at work. Hilarious stuff.

I did sir :)

http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer/b/258474172

Apologies for my lengthy absence, I've just been _really_ busy with work this year, and had a few bouts of unhealthiness in the mix :( End result, no time to stream, or too sick to stream.

I really wanted to stream my initial Reach play, because watching me fucking fail online would have been comedy gold, but I've just barely cleared the forest.

I'll be streaming Reach/(MoH?)/Black Ops again in good time

Victrix

*beard*
GDJustin said:
Honestly... that sounds about right to me. Hardcore non-boosting players that spend all their free time (~6 hours daily) could probably get there in 10 months to 1 year. More casual but still dedicated players (the amount I have been playing) will take 3 years to get there.

Of course, the truth is that my play time will drop off at some point. I'm just saying, a casual comparison of my play time vs. the credit requirements seems to balance out nicely.

Did you seriously just say that three years of regularly nightly play would be nicely balanced casual rate of progression?

I don't have a wide eyes emoticon large enough

remz

What happened to people playing games for fun, instead of shitty player investment schemes?

fuckin hell. sure armor is nice but the whining about it only being armor is ridiculous, if it's just armor, fucking ignore it and play the game already.

halo isn't MW2, and never will be, nor should it be.

Gui_PT

Who wants to party up and play 17 straight games in a couple of hours from now?

Also, to those who said they didn't get their credits. These challenges that are validated at the end of a match, I have never gotten credits for those. Match ends, i get "challenge complete" on the post game lobby, but no credits for me!

Wizpig

GDJustin said:
In 16 days I have earned ~250K credits via 100% normal play. No boosting of any kind. Not even excessive Gruntpocalypse. I've played a lot (every day for at least an hour, most days 2 hours) but I have a job and a wife, so I have not played as much as many.

This works out to ~500K credits a month. or 6 million a year, if this level of play would be sustained.

So, after three years of steady, nightly play, I would be close to the final rank.

Agreed, that's why "my personal cap" is the one that you need for an Achievement.
I think it's the current cap.

Once I reach that, it's not like i will give a shit about other ranks.
1000/1000 in Reach will be my cap.

I'm happy that i don't need to gain credits in order to buy new weapons or useful stuff: this is Halo, and it needs to be simple.
Everyone needs to be at the same level when they start playing a match.

The way I play, i'm happy with this (credits) system.

As for the game itself i'll play it until the Xbox 720 or until the servers die, but not at this rate: since Reach's day-one i only played Reach. :D this is not a MMORPG; Castlevania is coming out!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Victrix said:
Did you seriously just say that three years of regularly nightly play would be nicely balanced casual rate of progression?

I don't have a wide eyes emoticon large enough

Well, I mean I stopped playing Halo 3 after a few months of regular play.

But other people didn't, and that's my point. Halo 3 came out (surprise surprise) almost exact 3 years ago. And even with reach, it has over 150,000 people playing every day:

http://www.bungie.net/online/default.aspx

This # was much higher before Reach.

Bungie seems to have balanced the highest ranks around these players, which makes sense.

Gui_PT said:
Who wants to party up and play 17 straight games in a couple of hours from now?

Also, to those who said they didn't get their credits. These challenges that are validated at the end of a match, I have never gotten credits for those. Match ends, i get "challenge complete" on the post game lobby, but no credits for me!

I was wondering about that myself. The other day there was a similar challenge, and the credits didn't appear at the postgame (and the total was too small anyway). The challenge completed in the menus but my credits stayed the same.

Tadale

Well, I hit Lt. Colonel. Kind of anti-climactic-- the black visor isn't as cool on my EVA helmet as I thought it would be, and I'm not really digging the robotic arm. Any word on when the new ranks are opening up?

Here's my player profile: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=el+tomas&sg=0

I did a little TL grinding very late last night to push through the last 5k credits or so to Lt. Colonel, but other than that I hit it with almost no grinding whatsoever, just a little gruntpocolypse to clear my challenges each day.

If anybody likes custom Firefight variations, I just put up a new one: Firefight Elites. All Elites, all the time (well, almost all elites. There is a surprise or two in there).

As usual teamwork is a MUST. These guys will flank you so bad you just might find new areas of maps you thought you knew so well. (When we were testing this out on Glacier last night a team of airborne elites got right behind us through a heretofore unknown side entrance to the base. Scared the bajeesus out of us).

The basic setup is 1 set, with three rounds getting steadily more difficult as the Elites up the ante to assault your position, all in preparation for the final push. Loadouts have been tweaked with DMR/Pistols standard except for one loadout that starts you with Evade/Sword/Plasma Repeater if you feel the need to fight fire with fire. Recommended for the mid-sized and large levels. Have fun :)

Firefight Elites (were it so easy...):
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4208016&player=NullPointer256

Also, if you missed it I'd recommend Danger Room too. It was my first stab at this but our group still uses it for warmups:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1127522&player=NullPointer256

Dyno

All I know is that I finally hit Warrant Officer 2nd Class only to see Warrant Officer 3rd Class smiling smugly at me at the far end of my credit bar. AND I AIN'T UNLOCKED SHIT IN A WEEK!

I'm in the desert. I'm all alone! This is purgatory.

GDJustin said:

I'm glad earning credits is going to take such a long time. More incentive to play, that feeling of progression is always there, etc. I'm so glad Bungie didn't make it like MW2.

I'm thinking there will be extra credits playlists on the weekend or something. No way they can expect us to play at the pace of a newly released Halo for 3 years...

Mik2121

Damn, 17 games? Well, I've not played much in the last couple days, so I guess I will try and unlock that achievement now :p

I'm 3 games in...

MrBig said:
If you earned 20,000 credits a day you could get the highest rank in a measly 3 years :lol

That's when Frankie shows up with his spaceship and takes you to fight the Covenant on Reach for realz!

Chorazin

Wizpig said:
If there's really people that can farm 100.000 credits in a single day or 2... then well...

What I KNOW is that i'll never reach that top rank. ever.

If you only earn 500 cR a day, it will take your 40,000 days to get to the top rank.

I hope you can still hold a controller when you're 110 + your current age years old!

I bet there will be insanly hi cR weekly challenges down the road, like "I Hope You Like Being Raped: Beat all Campaign Missions on Legendary with all Skulls Turned On Without Dying: 1,000,000 cR."

Chinner

Banned
DoctorWho said:
That's when Frankie shows up with his spaceship and takes you to fight the Covenant on Reach for realz!
and he has a six pack and at night you fall asleep in his muscly arms
wtt106.jpg

MrBig said:
If you earned 20,000 credits a day you could get the highest rank in a measly 3 years :lol
I love it. cR is just extra fluff, and a nice little reward for those who play the game over time.

I feel sorry for those power gamers that feel the need to cheese their way ahead of the pack. They're just turning something that's fun on its own merits into a tedious grind.

TL;DR: Have fun first. The points are just icing on the already awesome cake.

Mikasangelos said:

Holy crap that's awesome that the ranks go up that high! I was already saying I'd play this for years to come because it's just so fun to play MP but this really gives extra incentive and rewards you for playing that long. I'm sure they'll keep coming up with really unique armor pieces for those ridiculously high ranks too :D Also, awesome to see some Halo 2 ranks in there! The blue comet was my favorite and it looks like it's the highest rank in this one (was 48 in Halo 2 IIRC) :D

MrBig

Chorazin said:
I bet there will be insanly hi cR weekly challenges down the road, like "I Hope You Like Being Raped: Beat all Campaign Missions on Legendary with all Skulls Turned On Without Dying: 1,000,000 cR."
I could actually see this happening. Except a year or two from now and worth 100,000 cR.

aesop

remz said:
What happened to people playing games for fun, instead of shitty player investment schemes?

fuckin hell. sure armor is nice but the whining about it only being armor is ridiculous, if it's just armor, fucking ignore it and play the game already.

halo isn't MW2, and never will be, nor should it be.
Seriously.

That and the ones that seem to be bitching the hardest are the ones that farm the most.

Photolysis said:
If you'd read my post in its entirety you'd see that I wasn't advocating this would be right for Halo, I was simply describing some of the characteristics of a successful player investment system. Varied challenges, constant rewards, good incentives.

The funny thing is, by making the Reach system such a grind, it does absolutely nothing to draw new players in to the franchise. You might have some more casual players who find the idea of being able to customise their player interesting, but there's nothing available for such players.

Bungie already know that a sizeable amount of players don't even make it past 10 games. How is a player investment system with this much of a grind supposed to draw them in? It won't. It's such a large barrier, and with such a small reward that they won't bother, they'll go to a product that does a far better job.

I agree with this, but I get the feeling as we rank up we will earn more credits for stuff like "Game Complete". Theres going to hit a time when Commendations dont give out anything and so im also guessing the challenges will be a lot nicer with the CR they give out aswell.

Im also hoping for Double Credit weekends.

To be frank though, once I have all the armours I like the look of, credits wont mean much to me. Im only desperate to rank up now because I want to play Spartan dress up. :lol

Im wondering what armours are unlocked at like the last 5 few ranks.

Mr Spliff

Just finished my Legendary solo run:D ! Definitely a few frustrating moments but they had more to do with finding the right guns rather than near-impossible encounters.

Levi

Banned
Are there any good resources for people almost totally new to Halo? I dipped my toes in the Halo 3 and ODST campaign, but this is the first game in the series to grab me and I want to play it online.

However, I try to play it online and I have no sense of what I'm supposed to be doing. I get that I'm supposed to pop the opposing players shield in order to kill them, but, uh, while I'm trying to do that I always die first. It's pretty disheartening to go 1v1 and die without even seeing their shield go down.

How many DMR/Pistol shots does it take to pop a shield; does it matter where they are placed and how fast the rate of fire is; if I ever do pop a shield do I go for headshots, center mass, melee? Ouendan!

It doesn't help that I mostly play PS3 games so I'm not very in tune with this damn controller. Feels too sensitive after thousands of hours with the DS3's sticks' dead zone.

Hey You said:
It shows you were playing at 8pm PST. A new day starts at 3am PST
My intent was to express that it took me over five hours to play 19 games. Sure, I could have played for seven more hours, and I really wanted to, but sleep and work tend to carry a little more weight than video games. :| The seventeen game daily challenge simply has a paltry reward for such a huge time investment.

Mr Spliff said:
Just finished my Legendary solo run:D ! Definitely a few frustrating moments but they had more to do with finding the right guns rather than near-impossible encounters.
My biggest issue with Legendary mode is running out of ammo. And Shade turrets :(

MrBig

VsRobot said:
Are there any good resources for people almost totally new to Halo? I dipped my toes in the Halo 3 and ODST campaign, but this is the first game in the series to grab me and I want to play it online.

However, I try to play it online and I have no sense of what I'm supposed to be doing. I get that I'm supposed to pop the opposing players shield in order to kill them, but, uh, while I'm trying to do that I always die first. It's pretty disheartening to go 1v1 and die without even seeing their shield go down.

How many DMR/Pistol shots does it take to pop a shield; does it matter where they are placed and how fast the rate of fire is; if I ever do pop a shield do I go for headshots, center mass, melee? Ouendan!

It doesn't help that I mostly play PS3 games so I'm not very in tune with this damn controller. Feels too sensitive after thousands of hours with the DS3's sticks' dead zone.
4 shots anywhere from a dmr or pistol to ake down their shields and then one more in the head for a kill, or you can melee once if their shields are down.
At the beginning of all games there will be a red or blue box that tells you your objective, Which can be capture the flag, slayer, etc.
http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/article.aspx?ucc=variants
That explains the gametypes. Search around the FAQ for more stuff

xxjuicesxx said:
I'm thinking there will be extra credits playlists on the weekend or something. No way they can expect us to play at the pace of a newly released Halo for 3 years...
Yeah I can't wait for those, hopefully Bungie will roll them out soon. I need all the help I can get. I've made peace with the fact that I'll never unlock those crazy armor effects, but I would like all the firefight voices eventually.

The Lamonster said:
My biggest issue with Legendary mode is running out of ammo. And Shade turrets :(
Fucking shade turrets >=(

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
You know what. FUCK SWAT AND FUCK THOSE THAT CHOOSE IT!!

Seriously.
I'm holding off on even playing MP matchmaking until the playlist updates of next week and then mid-month. But I'm glad they're looking to be such large updates, as there's a lot of housekeeping to do.

In the meantime, god bless Score Attack. Seriously some of the best and most concentrated stress relief I've ever had.

*girds loins for the Brute wave*

aesop

Sean P. said:
So much about this game makes me so angry and yet I wont stop playing it.
I haven't played a whole heap of arena, but I like that it's in. I don't even get mad when someone uses it against me. I'd much rather run into that guy than the sword or rocket guy.

Maybe the MLG playlist will be your style. It will eventually be available. But not until those idiots figure out a way to completely strip Reach of it's defining qualities. Have you looked at their gametypes? It makes me sad.

Can anyone confirm this?

To get the achievement where you have to beat the 9th level on Legendary with the Scorpion intact... Can you get it by just not getting in the Tank at all?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Alienshogun said:
Christ, I don't think I'm going to be able to get double nickle!

Can you get it in firefight? Cause I get killing sprees in rocket fight all the time.

Also, does anyone know if they've fixed the "The Love of the Game" challenge yet. I want to do a couple matches right now, but know I wont be able to get in all 17.

-Yeti said:
Can anyone confirm this?

To get the achievement where you have to beat the 9th level on Legendary with the Scorpion intact... Can you get it by just not getting in the Tank at all?
It's not that hard. I probably died about four times before I did it.

But then again, I'm a pro with the tank...don't know how good you are with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom