• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugbot

-Yeti said:
Can anyone confirm this?

To get the achievement where you have to beat the 9th level on Legendary with the Scorpion intact... Can you get it by just not getting in the Tank at all?
Even if you could, wouldn't it be significantly easier to do the slow crawl up and take out turrets, snipers, and other problem enemies with a DMR?

Sean P.

aesop said:
I haven't played a whole heap of arena, but I like that it's in. I don't even get mad when someone uses it against me. I'd much rather run into that guy than the sword or rocket guy.

Maybe the MLG playlist will be your style. It will eventually be available. But not until those idiots figure out a way to completely strip Reach of it's defining qualities. Have you looked at their gametypes? It makes me sad.

In competitive gameplay its so overpowered though. I guess its strategy but its lame.

Dax01 said:
It's not that hard. I probably died about four times before I did it.

But then again, I'm a pro with the tank...don't know how good you are with it.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to get it without getting in the tank...

aesop said:
I haven't played a whole heap of arena, but I like that it's in. I don't even get mad when someone uses it against me. I'd much rather run into that guy than the sword or rocket guy.

Maybe the MLG playlist will be your style. It will eventually be available. But not until those idiots figure out a way to completely strip Reach of it's defining qualities. Have you looked at their gametypes? It makes me sad.

Woah are you crazy!??

I tried the MLG settings in some Reach customs the other day and I loved it. Theres a higher rate of movement. Armour abilities are present, but used as power weapons and require skill to earn (not everyone can spam them). If anything MLG has embraced armour abilities and isnt stripping the game down at all.

Hugbot said:
Even if you could, wouldn't it be significantly easier to do the slow crawl up and take out turrets, snipers, and other problem enemies with a DMR?

Yeah, and even then, it's only the fuel-rod Shades that are a threat to the Scorpion. Take those bastards, (I think there's only 2 or 3 of them), out on foot at range, and the Scorpion will just waste everything else. Tank beats everything, remember.

-Yeti said:
Can anyone confirm this?

To get the achievement where you have to beat the 9th level on Legendary with the Scorpion intact... Can you get it by just not getting in the Tank at all?
Good question. I completely missed the tank on that level during my Heroic run, so I ended up doing it on foot and in a revenant. It was a pain in the butt, so I wouldn't recommend it.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
I'm holding off on even playing MP matchmaking until the playlist updates of next week and then mid-month. But I'm glad they're looking to be such large updates, as there's a lot of housekeeping to do.

In the meantime, god bless Score Attack. Seriously some of the best and most concentrated stress relief I've ever had.

*girds loins for the Brute wave*

I can't blame you. I was never a quitter but I refuse to play swat. So sadly I've become what I hate the most a quitter. I'll continue to be one till swat is removed too from my team slayer playlist.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Yeah, and even then, it's only the fuel-rod Shades that are a threat to the Scorpion. Take those bastards, (I think there's only 2 or 3 of them), out on foot at range, and the Scorpion will just waste everything else. Tank beats everything, remember.
Can this achievement be completed in co-op?

ElRenoRaven

-Yeti said:
I'm just wondering if it's possible to get it without getting in the tank...

Nope. I never noticed it till after I finished legendary. So I never even used it on my legendary playthrough.

PsychoRaven said:
You know what. FUCK SWAT AND FUCK THOSE THAT CHOOSE IT!!

Seriously.

I don't mind SWAT. It's actually a lot of fun. Snipers can go fuck itself. Countdown and Reflection are not fucking sniper maps!

aesop

bobs99 ... said:
Woah are you crazy!??

I tried the MLG settings in some Reach customs the other day and I loved it. Theres a higher rate of movement. Armour abilities are present, but used as power weapons and require skill to earn (not everyone can spam them). If anything MLG has embraced armour abilities and isnt stripping the game down at all.
I must be because (minus the obvious glitches and tweaks that need to be made) I like Reach for what it is.

By turning AAs into pickups and increasing speed and jump height, they are basically making the game play like Halo 3.

Why do the forge variants come up twice as often as unique maps like Countdown and Powerhouse. I've played a ton of competitive and have only played on Countdown twice...
Instead I get shitty spinoffs like the Cage over and over.

Between that and SWAT - Team Slayer is next to unplayable. I really hope this is part of the playlist changes.

DancingJesus said:
Why do the forge variants come up twice as often as unique maps like Countdown and Powerhouse. I've played a ton of competitive and have only played on Countdown twice...
Because Bungie knows we don't like them.

Victrix

*beard*
DancingJesus said:

I gotta agree with this, it's really annoying having the forge maps come up so often, I've barely played on some of the (good!) real maps

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Zerokku said:
Can you get it in firefight? Cause I get killing sprees in rocket fight all the time.

Also, does anyone know if they've fixed the "The Love of the Game" challenge yet. I want to do a couple matches right now, but know I wont be able to get in all 17.

No, and I just got it in an invasion spire match. Sniper spree transition to a killing spree in the banshee! With a warthog triple kill, Woo!

Veelk

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
To be frank though, once I have all the armours I like the look of, credits wont mean much to me. Im only desperate to rank up now because I want to play Spartan dress up. :lol

This is one thing I am anticipating as well. The question is whether bungie is too and willing to throw in more armor to unlock when a good number of players have unlocked mostly everything there was.

DancingJesus said:
The Cage on the other hand is complete garbage.
I feel like I'm the only one in the world that likes this map :lol

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
DancingJesus said:
I much prefer those two maps. I actually really like Countdown and Powerhouse is a solid little map.

The Cage on the other hand is complete garbage.

I really like Countdown, not much of a fan of Powerhouse.

The Cage is a map that I do well on but I can't stand its design because really there is just one choke point in the entire map, pretty much defend against people going across the sniper lift and then chuck grenades at people going up the ramp into that box and you dominate that map. Pretty boring.

Oozer3993

I had 2 really crappy games to start off in the Arena today (first it was guys with aimbots for their grenades, then an entire team of camo guys), but I managed to Hulk out in the 3rd. My back, it hurts.

-Yeti said:
Can anyone confirm this?

If you really want to cheese it, just Revert to Last Save any time it blows up. Worked for me.

aesop said:
I must be because (minus the obvious glitches and tweaks that need to be made) I like Reach for what it is.

By turning AAs into pickups and increasing speed and jump height, they are basically making the game play like Halo 3.

I see what your saying, and I sort of agree with you. Personally though I dont think Reach nailed the 4 vs 4 gameplay that well, and so im REALLY happy that with just gametype setting tweaks MLG has made the game more fun for me.

Im not gonna lie, I find the hilarity in the fact that MLG keeps trying to make each new Halo game play like the last one. But in this instance for me at least, theyve made settings that are more fun than defualt.

Ramirez

Just wanted to say how bad BTB is in this game, the maps are just flat out terrible, the design of them and the number of them. When you're including Countdown in BTB, you know you have a problem.

I must be on everyone's ignore list or something, the 10% of Gold on my profile means I was in the top 10% or what? That means I was close to Onyx, right?

Mr. Sam

Yeah, I'm a Major!

Ended up playing SWAT on multiteam by myself. Managed to get the double spree and, bizarrely, the assist challenges.

Now I'm wearing every item a Major can wear. Ain't nobody gonna wonder what rank I am.

Oozer3993

Ramirez said:
Just wanted to say how bad BTB is in this game, the maps are just flat out terrible, the design of them and the number of them. When you're including Countdown in BTB, you know you have a problem.

I must be on everyone's ignore list or something, the 10% of Gold on my profile means I was in the top 10% or what? That means I was close to Onyx, right?

I believe so. The percentage should indicate that you are in the top _% of people in that division.

Ramirez said:
Woah, woah, woah, wait up here. What? Seriously.

I haven't gotten a chance to dig into BTB yet, but Countdown? I can't even...

ElRenoRaven

Generic said:
This is one thing I am anticipating as well. The question is whether bungie is too and willing to throw in more armor to unlock when a good number of players have unlocked mostly everything there was.

I feel like I'm the only one in the world that likes this map :lol

You aren't alone. I honestly haven't hated any map in any of the 4 games. I really haven't. I do agree however I would like to see the non forge made maps come up more often. It gets kind of old looking at the same grey theme over and over and over. A new map pack can't come fast enough.

PsychoRaven said:
You know I hate challenges like this. It's annoying to have to try and do a certain number of something in one matchmaking game.
What bothers me about Double Nickels specifically is a Killing Frenzy doesn't count as two Killing Sprees. You have to get the two Sprees, which means you also have to die between them. Requiring you to die in multiplayer as part of a Challenge doesn't seem well thought-out.

Ramirez said:

Agree with you about BTB, it's a really awkward playlist with bad maps right now.

And yeah, that's top 10% of Gold, as close to Onyx as you can be without actually being in Onyx. ;)

MrBig

Mr. Sam said:
Yeah, I'm a Major!

Ended up playing SWAT on multiteam by myself. Managed to get the double spree and, bizarrely, the assist challenges.

Now I'm wearing every item a Major can wear. Ain't nobody gonna wonder what rank I am.
Multi team is teh best one for assists, I got 8 in one game of slayer on pinnacle.

DoctorWho said:
So a Killing Frenzy doesn't count as two sprees? I have to die?

The fuck.

The challenge says get two killing sprees is called Double Nickel, with a killing spree being 5 kills. The other spree challenge they did in firefight a few days back was worded something like, get 7 sprees in a ff match or something like that.

ElRenoRaven

Shake Appeal said:
What bothers me about Double Nickels specifically is a Killing Frenzy doesn't count as two Killing Sprees. You have to get the two Sprees, which means you also have to die between them. Requiring you to die in multiplayer as part of a Challenge doesn't seem well thought-out.

Believe it or not dying isn't hard for me. I only have a 1.29 k/d ratio. I was surprised though that I did get this one in a game of Elite Slayer. Wasn't even trying either. Dumbass on other team threw a grenade at me while armor locked with himself and his teammate next to me. It gave me credit for a double kill. This happened not once but twice. lol

Speaking of which I still love my armor lock. Best damn armor ability in the game. I just can't get enough of those rejection medals.

Raide

Shake Appeal said:

Agree with you about BTB, it's a really awkward playlist with bad maps right now.

And yeah, that's top 10% of Gold, as close to Onyx as you can be without actually being in Onyx. ;)

Does it having to be Killing Spree or do the Sniper/Shotgun etc Sprees work also?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
NullPointer said:
Woah, woah, woah, wait up here. What? Seriously.

I haven't gotten a chance to dig into BTB yet, but Countdown? I can't even...

Yea we played Elite Slayer on it last night.

PsychoRaven said:
Believe it or not dying isn't hard for me. I only have a 1.29 k/d ratio. I was surprised though that I did get this one in a game of Elite Slayer. Wasn't even trying either. Dumbass on other team threw a grenade at me while armor locked with himself and his teammate next to me. It gave me credit for a double kill. This happened not once but twice. lol
I know dying isn't a problem. I die all the time! But having a Challenge that requires a player to either go looking for death, or even suicide, on the way to completing it is potentially stupid and irritating in a team game for other players.

Raide said:
Does it having to be Killing Spree or do the Sniper/Shotgun etc Sprees work also?
Has to be a Killing Spree. You have to get two independent Killing Spree medals. Two sprees, any sprees, as a Challenge, would be fine. That's just telling people "go out and kill a lot without dying, and maybe use power weapons where possible", which is exactly what they should be doing anyway.

PsychoRaven said:
I wouldn't say that you have to go looking for death. It's only natural that over the course of the game you would die.
With a limited time and number of kills in which to get the Challenge, the most expedient way to do it is to die as soon as you net the first KS medal.

ElRenoRaven

Shake Appeal said:
I know dying isn't a problem. I die all the time! But having a Challenge that requires a player to either go looking for death, or even suicide, on the way to completing it is potentially stupid and irritating in a team game for other players.

I wouldn't say that you have to go looking for death. It's only natural that over the course of the game you would die.

With a limited time and number of kills in which to get the Challenge, the most expedient way to do it is to die as soon as you net the first KS medal.

I guess it depends on what mode you are playing in. I find my average team slayer lasts about 8 to 12 mins. That's more then enough time for me to die. lol

Are you jive turkeys still complaining about Swat?

Why don't you suckas come over here *points at Team Objective list surrounded by beautiful women*

It's where all the cool kids go.

Hugbot

PsychoRaven said:

I guess it depends on what mode you are playing in. I find my average team slayer lasts about 8 to 12 mins. That's more then enough time for me to die. lol
Right, but you still shouldn't fail the challenge because you did too well.

Striker

Ramirez said:

Reminds me of Halo 2's late BTB juggling of including BTB Rockets in Sanctuary and then had Team Duals in Warlock and Lockout. It's just screams social (putting BTB in Countdown), and I agree, do not like it. I rather they keep it simple and use Hemorrhage, Paradiso, Spire, and bits of Boneyard and Boardwalk wouldn't be bad pending the gametype.

It just needs to be Multi-CTF, Multi-Bomb, Neutral Bomb, Team Slayer, 1-CTF, 1-Bomb, and smaller doses of Headhunter, Territories, and Stockpile. The likes of SWAT, Snipers, Classic, and Elite Slayer can GTFO.

Net,

Team Objective is pretty much my favorite playlist, by far. But it does need minor changes, and most of them will be addressed come Oct. 7th. That said, I'm still worried how Evade will be, and they need to add in more Assault variants.

PsychoRaven said:
But perhaps not to die and get five kills again.

Challenge basically says as soon as you get five, find a way to die, because if you continue doing well and building on that spree, you won't get the Challenge. Hell, you could get an Unfrigginbelievable Perfection in a game (i.e. go 40-0 or better) and not get the Challenge.

ElRenoRaven

Hugbot said:
Right, but you still shouldn't fail the challenge because you did too well.

Oh I agree. Like I said earlier I hate challenges like this for that very reason. That and it changes your playstyle. Say it's like that one the other day that was get 8 grenade kills in one match. As a result you are going to go grenade happy instead of trying to just kill the other guys.

That's one reason I don't try these challenges. I figure if hell freezes over and I get it during my regular play then cool. If not then oh well.

Shake Appeal said:
But perhaps not to die and get five kills again.

Challenge basically says as soon as you get five, find a way to die, because if you continue doing well and building on that spree, you won't get the Challenge. Hell, you could get an Unfrigginbelievable Perfection in a game (i.e. go 40-0 or better) and not get the Challenge.

Yea. I agree that sucks. As said I don't think challenges like that should even exsist to be honest. The reason you point out is one such reason. I was just saying that it wasn't that bad really in regards to what it could have been. It could have been get two killtrocities in a single game. :D

PsychoRaven said:
That's one reason I don't try these challenges. I figure if hell freezes over and I get it during my regular play then cool. If not then oh well.
I should stress that I will not be going into multiplayer and sacrificing myself after five kills to get another five kills. But I know that plenty of Halo's charming playerbase will be, provided they're even aware that a Killing Frenzy won't work.

Also, 3 years of regular play just to Reach the top rank is utterly ridiculous. There better be some BIG extra point challenges a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom