• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Grand Theft Auto 6 will cost $2 billion.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's very excessive..

If I were in charge of that I would probably feel bad. A videogame doesn't need to be that expensive to be good. I don't want to be offensive but there are a lot of great charitable things you could do with a fraction of that budget.

Also, and I absolutely love gaming, but I think raising the bar too much can be a double edged sword to other developers and games.. either way, I hope the game is really good and sells a lot.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: K2D

Sleepwalker

See gamers, this is what happens when you accept a $10 price increase and let them move to $70. In the blink of an eye they've moved it up $2b. Imagine the quality though.
Can't believe they are charging 2billion, that DF performance video going to be something else.

(it will render at 720p internally)

2 billion dollars? How? The most expensive games from Sony (Horizon Forbidden West and TLOU2) cost $220 million dollars and took five years to create. Even if you double that amount because Rockstar has been working on GTAVI for ten years, you "only" get $450-500 million dollars. Do they have four times as many programmers working on the game as well?
There was a 2 billion budget reported a while back, but it included the 10 years after release with the GTA online budget. There is no way in hell the base game on release will cost 2 billion. 1 billion maybe

Last edited:

Scotty W

Banned
30 million copies to break even? No problem. I read GTA V moved 130 million copies and pulled in $6BN.
Losing Dan Houser means that the main creative voice of the series is gone, and that was a very distinctive voice. He was a fantastic writer. And hasn’t Rockstar gone woke?

I am a bit suspicious of the guaranteed success of 6. Probably it will be like Disney Star Wars where it starts huge and diminishes over time.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Believable. They’ll make that back in like 2 days.

People are underestimating just how big this game is gonna be. Likely have the biggest ad campaign in entertainment history

Last edited:

A.Romero

What was the cost of GTAV? I remember being highly expensive.

According to a quick google search it was a bit more than 1/4 billion USD, out of which $140 million were development costs (this does not include post launch development, infrastructure, marketing and support costs).

2B sounds crazy if you take it face value but with inflation (31% since 2013 according to a calculator) and counting expenses such as post launch ports to next gen, support, additional content and marketing it stops sounding as crazy. If I was told GTAV has spent near a billion since 2013 I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, these numbers are meaningless regarding sustainability as long as they are making more than they are spending.

What does surprise me is that it may have been in development since 2014 and the leaks didn't show anything special. I mean, 9 years and all they had back when the leak happened was a mild reskin of GTAV? WTF.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
shhiiiiiiiit probably.

GTA is the exception, not the rule. This budget is wild, but I can't question this as what other IP do we know of putting out a180 plus million selling title? So if this indeed is their budget, I can't say no to this lol

It would be more odd if they under staffed, under sold and decided to be greedy and not properly fund the game. At least we know they are actually reinvesting that money right back into the industry. Though I'm doubtful that is really the budget, I'd also not be surprised if it was lol

RavageX

No need to spend that much marketing the damn game. It's freakin' GTA. Cut more than half of that cost out and put it somewhere else.

DryvBy

If I can't go inside every building and poop on the sidewalk like a real Cali-forn-ian then they wasted their money. That's what we all want. To step in other people's poop online.

• Triggered

salva

How many ps5 consoles have been sold? Google tells me 38mil.
If every ps5 console owner buys a copy on launch @ $70USD that's $2.66bil.
They'll be right.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

I hope they didnt spend any money hiring celebrities for voiceovers.

Bootsy Collins as a DJ was totally fine though.

Last edited:

Robochobo

Even if its not true and the figure is significantly lower, between singular sales and the undoubted inclusion of GTAO2 with MTX, I would assume they make that back within a month max. V made almost one billion in sales on its first day. GTA makes so much money, I'm not dissuaded to state that it's an international money laundering scheme at this point. My hypothesis is sound, but nobody will listen.

• LOL

The 'multiple cities' rumor has to be true. It has to be. There's no way a game only set in Vice City cost this much. There has to be something so complex in this game that it will make the game generational-defining for 2 whole generations, which means the wait from 6 to 7 would be the same length as the wait from 5 to 6.

Last edited:

Denton

2000 employees times 10,000 dollars times 6 years of fulltime dev = 1,440,000 dollars

Plus 500 million on marketing, yeah I can see it.

Obviously rockstar pays less than 10K per employee monthly, but they have other costs and whatever.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
No need to spend that much marketing the damn game. It's freakin' GTA. Cut more than half of that cost out and put it somewhere else.
no.

lol

They got it, flaunt it. They want to reach the biggest heights ever seen in entertainment, not just gaming, so saying "iTz fReaKiN ' gTa" nahhhhh, its a fucking sequel to a game that moved 180 million units...and counting. So with GTA V making them almost 8 billion, it makes sense to spend 2 on something like this.

High tides raise all ships and I take no issue from them spending like this. I'd be worried if they wanted to be greedy, cheap out, try to make a game with less funds, less of a team etc. So this is just a rumor and we don't even know the split right now for a fact from development to marketing, but I'm sure they will go beast in both areas.

Lunarorbit

Theyll make that back on the third day its on sale😝.

This is the culmination of everything they've learned and I don't think it really matters that the housers are gone.

GTA 6 is like the equivalent of 5 CODs.

Considering that GTAV sold about 16 million copies (mostly physical) launch week on the 360 and PS3.

A launch week of 25 million units for GTA VI is not out of reach.

But I’m inclined to believe the budget is around the 1 Billion mark.

• Thoughtful
Hopefully with all that monies they finally fix the crud on foots gameplay and missions

fingers-crossed-luck.gif
Haha, that would probably take another billion..

Hmm…possible that dev salary bonuses are tied to sales of GTA V or GTA online. Maybe they make a small cut out of that. And that game made soooo much money over the last 10 years that Dev Salary + Bonuses amounted to close to $2 billion which this tweet is referring to as the cost to make GTA 6.

musings about AAA gaming being "unsustainable"

This game would/will sell so much on name alone that a budget like this isn't hard to believe. They just have to make sure it's good.

Dynasty8

29 million copies on day one, doubt it plus the servers would not be able to cope.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it hits that mark. Any other game, yeah...not a chance. But seeing how GTA5 has surpassed 180 million units sold (which is absolute fucking insanity), I could see GTA6 being the biggest video game/entertainment media launch of all time.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The 'multiple cities' rumor has to be true. It has to be. There's no way a game only set in Vice City cost this much. There has to be something so complex in this game that it will make the game generational-defining for 2 whole generations, which means the wait from 6 to 7 would be the same length as the wait from 5 to 6.
Yeah, I can see it.

IF this budget is true they are making a game so big and so expansive that it's meant to last them another 10-12 years before thinking about GTAVII.

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds like a big waste of money to me. Surely they’d be able to make it for way less and still sell a ton. I mean, GTA5 is a PS3/360 game that’s still selling, people don’t seem to care about the visuals (if that’s where money is going).

2 billion would have to be literally impossible unless the market budget is 1.5 billion...is it even possible to spend 2 billion developing a game?

• LOL

Kabelly

Even if it doesn't cost that much surely they are putting a huge amount into this game regardless considering how much they've earned from 5. I'm sure they can spare a penny here or there for this game. They know we're thirsty.

wolffy66

Do we as gamers really require $2B games to be entertained? Lol fml that's a lot of money.

Studios are always one bomb from selling because of it. Idk what they need to do but it doesn't seem sustainable

Top Bottom