• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Grand Theft Auto 6 will cost $2 billion.

TheCoolDave

Neo Member
Not a shocker, with these types of costs we are going to get a great game. The stories should be strong and a long quest, never mind years of online play. In modern times what do you think dev costs are on a multi-billion dollar game? You know as long as the game is decent, it will sell millions of copies on day one. V is still one of top selling games even today.

As for the price being $70, not for me, I'll pick up a copy on eBay for $50-60 on release. When I MW 2 came out (the new one), everyone was asking $69.99, and on eBay, fast shipping, it was $55.... and they sold thousands of them. I know because I was one of them.

Oh, you got a digital only console??? No discount for you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Killer8

It's bullshit. You won't see such a big jump in budget from their previous game. Highest estimate for RDR2 was up to $540 million, which included both development AND marketing costs. You'll maybe see a few hundred million more spent on GTA6. Something like $750 million could be more believable.

And even if you think most of this $2 billion is coming from marketing alone, that doesn't make any sense either. There are diminishing returns when it comes to marketing ie. you can over-spend on it where it's not even necessary, particularly when a product like GTA will sell on name alone. GTAV's marketing budget was about $150 million and RDR2's probably around $200 million. You don't 6x those numbers trying to reach an install base that's even smaller.

People love to hate on Rackstar but no one compares. They take their time and don't skimp. I wonder if we're going to get big voice actors again like with the GTA 3 games.

Fox Mulder

They’ll make that shit back in a week after launch and have gta online money rolling in on trucks for a decade.

I just hope it doesn’t blow as current day corporate ass Rockstar will be making this for the profits first and the talent that created the franchise aren’t around anymore. I’m expecting that it won’t push any buttons and be GTA paint by numbers.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I watched Oppenheimer the other day and at the end of the movie they say it took 3 years and $2 billion to make the atom bomb from scratch. Now granted with inflation it is more like $35 billion but it made me laugh nonetheless.

Wouldn't surprise me if true. There have been, no doubt, numerous reworks, asset redesigns, script rewrites, etc during the past several years of development contributing to an inflated production cost.

Lupin25

It’s not hard to imagine with the (continued) success of the last game.

6 yrs after RDR2, this game better be incredible.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I don’t really get what kind of new experience GTA6 will bring us that we haven’t seen before.
I think it's the perfect metaverse. Imagine GTA Online sequel incorporating everything Fortnite does, and everything Rockstar can think of, and instead of being on an island, set it in multiple giant urban cities. That's my guess.

consoul

For those of you just joining the thread, this is completely unfounded horseshit.

There is no report. There is nothing to suggest this fucking ludicrous $2 billion figure is anything but a clickbait fever dream. It's just speculation based on a rumour reportedly reported but actually made up and ZhugeEx joked about it so it must be true. Carry on.

xrnzaaas

I feel like my hype deflated years ago, even before it was known that the game won't be so filthy and will actively try to avoid offending weak individuals. I would be more hyped if they released GTA 4 Remake tbh, I loved that game more than 5 and 3.

hyperbertha

Sounds like a big waste of money to me. Surely they’d be able to make it for way less and still sell a ton. I mean, GTA5 is a PS3/360 game that’s still selling, people don’t seem to care about the visuals (if that’s where money is going).
Yep. We'd all rather they use that money on stippers and drugs.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If they are planning to support it for another 10 years then it makes sense. Still $2billion is way too much. $500 million is more likely.

Shut0wen

Banned
Im calling bullshit, gtav was advertised heavily but i doubt development plus advertisement were even close to a billion

AmuroChan

Considering that the game will sell 150m copies and make a boatload on online mtx, I think Take-Two probably isn't sweating that budget.

I feel like my hype deflated years ago, even before it was known that the game won't be so filthy and will actively try to avoid offending weak individuals. I would be more hyped if they released GTA 4 Remake tbh, I loved that game more than 5 and 3.
It will be funny that some gamers, especially on this forum, will boycott GTA 6 because they no longer ridicule trans people(or whatever)anymore

To put this into perspective.

This building only cost $1.5B to build...:

burj-khalifa.jpg

Top Bottom