• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Grand Theft Auto 6 will cost $2 billion.

Hudo

Interesting how for GTA sums like this seem like a "badge of honor" and a legitimate marketing tool. For other games, it would scream "project mismanagement and scope creep".

Edit: I still think that the development of GTA 6 must be a clusterfuck of epic proportions and they "brute force" through development because Rockstar Games know they can burn through that money without anyone complaining.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Let's hope they do not unexpectedly lose hold of their source code..!

Also it's completely expected at this point that GTA would shatter any and all development budgets, right?!

Edit:

I think maybe people here forget that 3d GTA games have historically had the content and sub systems equalling 2-3 games. That's before catering to online!

Edit2:

The game better be playable day 1 with just the disc.. It would be a disastrous for prosperity if not!

Edit 3:

With cost of GTAV being $250 million before GTA:Online, I could easily see this being over $1 billion.

Add to that heightened inflation and covid development, and Rockstars' own sentiment of wanting a greater more cohesive world for online going forward..

Making games, he [Shawn Layden] claimed, "seems to double in cost every platform."

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Rumor retweeted by ZheugEx so it must have some credibility.

No, it just reiterates a "leak" from May for maximum clickbait potential, which was about something found in the Lapsu$ files, where it said the budget of GTA6 is between 1 and 2 billion.

Can still be the most expensive entertainment product ever.

Ozriel

M$FT
It’s a clickbaity rumor, and the Twitter handle posted it for clout. the handle using ‘reportedly’ instead of ‘rumored’ is rubbish behavior.

I don’t think Zhuge’s comment is an endorsement either.

Personally, this also doesn’t seem plausible. RDR 2 cost between $370m - $540m for both development and marketing, and this is unlikely to double that cost.

Not to mention Star Citizen has been in development for longer and still just crossed the $550 million mark.

Last edited:

Noxxera

Banned
Nice not bad. Tells me they're really investing in the game, which is a good thing. Not a half assed shit. Maybe it'll be as successful as GTA 5. We can hope.

TLZ

Banned
$550 billion
Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
They can easily make the 2 billion back. Only a few games could do that and GTA is one of them.

If this game launches with GTA online and on all consoles plus PC day one, I can see them making a billion within a month.
It will be a billion plus at launch day and they'll very likely reach the 2 billion mark within a month. COD MW2 did $1bn in revenue in just 10 days last year and GTA VI will be much more hyped than a fucking yearly COD game.

Star Citizen, your move!

If a train wreck like SC is burning through around 500mio now, I can totally see how GTA can/will cost that much, ie 4x more, incl. marketing, something SC does not even do.

Helghan

A few thousand people working over a decade on something? Marketing included?

I have no doubts
I do... 1000 people, for 10 years is 1 billion, MAX. It's probably a lot less. So where's that other billion going? Marketing is also MAX 100 million.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

I do... 1000 people, for 10 years is 1 billion, MAX. It's probably a lot less. So where's that other billion going? Marketing is also MAX 100 million.

There are def more than 1000 people working on it

Also post content support is also contained in this number

Last edited:

Helghan

There are def more than 1000 people working on it

Also post content support is also contained in this number
Why? Horizon Forbidden West had a peak count of 300 employees working on it at the same time. TLOU2 had 200 employees max working on it at the same time. And you're saying that GTA6 is tripling HFW and more than a five-fold for TLOU2? Nope, don't believe that.

MMaRsu

Why? Horizon Forbidden West had a peak count of 300 employees working on it at the same time. TLOU2 had 200 employees max working on it at the same time. And you're saying that GTA6 is tripling HFW and more than a five-fold for TLOU2? Nope, don't believe that.
A team of approximately 1,000 people developed Grand Theft Auto V over several years.

So it wouldnt be crazy to assume that team increased in size massively.

I'm worried where the industry is headed. Budgets keep growing to the point where a couple projects that don't hit could tank a developer.

And people seem less and less impressed. Law of diminishing returns applies only to the finished project, while the costs required for those small improvements grow exponentially in the opposite direction.
That's why it's best to start investing in AA games

Helghan

So it wouldnt be crazy to assume that team increased in size massively.
I read that as in 1.000 people worked on it. I just don't think it's simultaneously. Like in the case of TLOU2 and HFW, 200 and 300 employees were working on it simultaneously. In total there were more people that worked on it. Just not at the same time. So again, I don't think the 2 billion number is correct, just like the 500 million for Halo Infinite was a lie. The math doesn't add up, and honestly 2 billion for a single game would be 10x as much as any other game ever... That's just not realistic.

Reportedly… from where? It will not cost that much, not for how it looked in the leak.
the leaks were obviously using GTA V assets and the game was still in development. do you think that's what it's going to look like at launch? lmfao.

at one point GTA V looked like GTA IV but obviously it didn't by the time it came out.

you don't know what the hell you're talking about. maybe wait until Rockstar officially show the game before talking such shit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spyxos

Most people here probably haven't played Gta online or Rd online. The second was dropped by Rockstar because it didn't make enough money.
Everyone assumes that Gta 6 will become a money printing machine due to the online mode. I wouldn't be so sure about that.

So far, they have been successful once, and not from day 1, and the second time they failed. Anything can happen. And the 2 billion doesn't sound very credible.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Not that surprising. We easily could have expected it to be north of 800M when TLOU and sorts without marketing were spending 500M. My guess really was between 800M - 1.2B including everything.

GTA6 probably will be our last GTA till some new innovation in tech has happened. I truly believe that.

Hustler

I think most are missing the point where it says the cost includes all the DLC. Base game is going to cost a lot less than $2 billion. So it's just an estimate

This is a bad sign, whenever any project like this gets expensive, it means the project has gone over budget and has spiraled out of control, and the result is a convoluted mess.

Stuart360

The ironic thing is they would probably make that back in a couple of weeks, maybe even a week, not that i believe this anyway.
Its about as believable as Halo Infinite costing 500mil.

StueyDuck

Hmm maybe all the costs including distribution and a massive marketing campaign. I see the game costing 500-800 mil (that's if tbe rumors are true and the costs are super high, but I still doubt. I think 500mil is about right)

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It is for GTA.

Take 2 expect to make 3x that in revenue.
I agree, but what happens if it doesn't live up to expectations. People never thought CDPR would do the ball like they did with Cyberpunk? To be clear, I enjoyed the game but all that negative press absolutely suppressed it's sales, especially a little after launch.

Of course I'm not predicting this to happen. My point is that at this price point, one flop is devastating.

Top Bottom