• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Microsoft has laid off their DEI team, shutting down diversity division

Status
Not open for further replies.

BouncyFrag

Swing away at these scum…
7zExPQ.gif

CosmicComet

This Project 2025!!! panic is ridiculous. Most people haven't even read it, and it's a heritage foundation manifesto that Trump has explicitly distanced himself from.

You don't need Project 2025 to convince businesses to quit it with this stuff. It sucks. People are sick of it. It doesn't bring in more revenue at it's best, and guarantees more drama and legal risk at worst. It doesn't increase team or product quality.

It doesn't even bring all that much diversity. Frankly, as DEI ridden as the tech/entertainment sector have gotten, the majority of the beneficiaries appear to have been white women who are willing to suggest some kind of sexual fluidity.
Lol trueeee I always thought it was funny that white women, who outnumber everyone else in America, and are more pampered than everyone else, were considered diversity examples

geary

It has nothing to do with "Project 2025" or whatever, that is just coping. It has everything to do with interest rates. DEI was a byproduct of Institutions such as Blackrock offering loans and investiments to companies that were following ESG protocols. As a consequence, companies filled their HR department and manager positions with women and minorities to attract investments from such institutions. They even created whole departments such as DEI that are completely useless and only serves for big and loud Shaneequa to make seminars about how every employee is "le evil".

When the Fed raised interest rates Blackrock and the others deemed that kind of strategy too risky and distanced themselves from it. Now without that moneraty incentive, Silicon valley companies(including video game ones) have all this redundant diversity hires on their payroll and they have to get rid of them.
I am not from USA, so this is a genuine question. Why Blackrock or similar companies require DEI to offer loans and investmens, since there is no intrisec ROI for it?Is it political? What do these powerful institution win by requiring this?

Humdinger

in which the lead also accuses the company's executive leadership of "investigated and evidenced discrimination, harassment, and toxicity

It would be nice if "journalists" were able to write a coherent sentence.

It has nothing to do with "Project 2025" or whatever, that is just coping. It has everything to do with interest rates. DEI was a byproduct of Institutions such as Blackrock offering loans and investiments to companies that were following ESG protocols. As a consequence, companies filled their HR department and manager positions with women and minorities to attract investments from such institutions. They even created whole departments such as DEI that are completely useless and only serves for big and loud Shaneequa to make seminars about how every employee is "le evil".

When the Fed raised interest rates Blackrock and the others deemed that kind of strategy too risky and distanced themselves from it. Now without that monetary incentive, Silicon valley companies(including video game ones) have all this redundant diversity hires on their payroll and they have to get rid of them.

Is that right? I hadn't heard that. Blackrock has discontinued incentivizing (via favorable terms on loans) DEI programs?

If so, that's great news, better by a sight than what has been posted here. That was a major behind-the-scenes lever in promoting DEI. If they've stepped back from that, fantastic.

Humdinger

Later in the article:

In a statement shared with Business Wire, [Microsoft] spokesperson Jeff Jones said: "Our D&I commitments remain unchanged. Our focus on diversity and inclusion is unwavering and we are holding firm on our expectations, prioritizing accountability, and continuing to focus on this work."

Note, the article refers to "a" DEI team, so it's likely just a branch of the DEI tree, not the whole tree.

I’m still waiting for the onslaught of proof that hiring DEI style leads to big productivity and profit boosts for companies.

I’ve seen it claimed a lot. Never seen numbers and case study proof.

I doubt you'll ever see that. You can find plenty of evidence to the contrary, though - of DEI policies being linked to massive loss of profit.

This Project 2025!!! panic is ridiculous. Most people haven't even read it, and it's a heritage foundation manifesto that Trump has explicitly distanced himself from.

Agreed, though I would add that Trump's VP pick is a staunch opponent of DEI and authored Senate legislation to purge DEI from all Federal programs.

Later in the article:

Note, the article refers to "a" DEI team, so it's likely just a branch of the DEI tree, not the whole tree.

I doubt you'll ever see that. You can find plenty of evidence to the contrary, though - of DEI policies being linked to massive loss of profit.

Agreed, though I would add that Trump's VP pick is a staunch opponent of DEI and authored Senate legislation to purge DEI from all Federal programs.
To be fair, they’re hardly going to come out with a comment about how they are abandoning diversity… these public statements are all about PR

DAHGAMING

People think im fucking about when I say were the console the the alpha toxic male type, we have had a few woke yrs but knew it would pass and we would get back to real masculine games. Look at the new Gears, gone are the Just Stop Oil brigade from Gears 4 and 5, we got big armed men who go to work and expect a good meal from there big tit wife when they get home. Im not to happy about that skinny man we have to play as in the new Fable, maybe its to late to change but if not hopefully that will be the last fem game from team Xbox 💪💪💪.

The hilarious part is the most of the things of the project 2025 (that is used like a boogeyman) are not achievable in the first place 🤣

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wonder if this means they stopped the point scale system of hiring and promoting from within where people could score points based on race, sex and sexual orientation
They did that? Crazy.

That's like allowing (or not) any person walking into a store. Sorry bud, you scored low points so you're not allowed in. That would be numero-uno bigoted business practices.

Yet, hiring/promoting based on demographic pt systems is allowed? Ok government watchdogs and labour lawyers, where's the corporate infraction cases and penalties?

Last edited:

old-parts

Lol the DEI monster bit the hand that fed them going after MS leadership.

If those morons had avoided that they would probably still have a job, thank god they are idiots.

Hopefully MS returns to a more common sense approach and dials back some of the DEI, its not going to go away completely any time soon.

They did that? Crazy.

That's like allowing (or not) any person walking into a store. Sorry bud, you scored low points so you're not allowed in. That would be numero-uno bigoted business practices.

Yet, hiring /promoting based on demographic pt systems is allowed? Ok government watchdogs, where's the corporate infraction cases?
That would be amazing. Let’s see these companies put their money where their mouth is and only accept money from diverse customers.

Wait, I think Dice already tried that …

Barakov

micro-blogroll-logos-1655234296443.jpg

Microsoft is reportedly shuttering a major diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) team, according to an internal email sent by the team's leader to a significant number of Microsoft staff last week, in which the lead also accuses the company's executive leadership of "investigated and evidenced discrimination, harassment, and toxicity."

The email, first reported by Business Insider and corroborated by IGN, was sent by the former lead of one of Microsoft's key DEI teams. In it, they state that their "role and team were eliminated due to 'changing business needs' as of July 1st, 2024." IGN has reached out to Microsoft for comment as to the full extent and nature of these layoffs, but has not yet heard back.

The email goes on to assert that DEI programs are in danger not just at Microsoft, but across all businesses:

via IGN
0ftQfBv.png

Shame they had to lose millions of dollars to get this point.

Bernardougf

If is true great... but I would hold a little before celebrating.... is the Xbox division ... they are not known for smart decisions... more like dying in whatever new hill they chose this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom