• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Microsoft has laid off their DEI team, shutting down diversity division

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Project 2025!!! panic is ridiculous. Most people haven't even read it, and it's a heritage foundation manifesto that Trump has explicitly distanced himself from.

You don't need Project 2025 to convince businesses to quit it with this stuff. It sucks. People are sick of it. It doesn't bring in more revenue at it's best, and guarantees more drama and legal risk at worst. It doesn't increase team or product quality.

It doesn't even bring all that much diversity. Frankly, as DEI ridden as the tech/entertainment sector have gotten, the majority of the beneficiaries appear to have been white women who are willing to suggest some kind of sexual fluidity.

This was also the case with Affirmative Action and government assistance programs: it was mostly white women who benefited.

So no surprise that was also the case with DEI initiatives. You can't really explain people like Kathleen Kennedy without it, unless you turn to nepotism. Though AFAIK, she wasn't really related to anyone in Hollywood by blood, just friendships (and probably "casting couch" dirt which I'm 100% certain is how Leslye Headland got to make their own Star Wars show).

XXL

No mention of it in the Xbox OT, but...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...after-team-is-reportedly-laid-off-ign.929130/

Here it is. Of course they're taking the side of the DEI lead xD
heath ledger joker GIF

PSlayer

I am not from USA, so this is a genuine question. Why Blackrock or similar companies require DEI to offer loans and investmens, since there is no intrisec ROI for it?Is it political? What do these powerful institution win by requiring this?

The economical explanation is speculation!

When interest rates are low for long periods of time, investors have the incentive to stop doing due deligency and just gamble on the stock market like a cassino. Just pick a cheap stock with upside potential(like a silicon valley startup that promises to be the next Paradigm shift) , put your money there and just wait for infinite profits. During this mania phase it was almost impossible to lose money since everything went up. Even animals such as octopus or ants could outperform the market averages by just guessing a stock. The only way you could lose money in such degenerate enviroment is if the company got itself in some kind of controversy such as an environmental disaster,sexual assault alegations,racial discrimination accusations or, in the case of pharmaceutical companies,if the FDA didn't aprove your new drug.

That's when ESG came in. Blackrock and the wall street boys realized that in such environment profitability and sustentability of a company didn't matter because the stock would go up anyway. As long as a company is good with the environment,women and minorities the stock will go up. So Blackrock and the gang created the ESG score which is an index that tracks how much of a good boy you and your company are about those issues. DEI is part of it,it's a department that companies need to have whose job is to ensure compliance to ESG.

Blackrock made money by buying stock in this companies when they were small and selling when the price went parabolic. The ESG score became a """safety""" index for this period of mass speculation.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

It was always bs but smooth brains needed some way to feel victimized and "special" so it became the driving force for many major companies. But one thing companies like is money and it's been proven time and time again the general public doesn't want to be preached to about DEI and when that started hurting profits they magically stopped caring as much about filling out their workforce with a bunch of gender confused purple haired morons.

PSlayer

It would be nice if "journalists" were able to write a coherent sentence.

Is that right? I hadn't heard that. Blackrock has discontinued incentivizing (via favorable terms on loans) DEI programs?

If so, that's great news, better by a sight than what has been posted here. That was a major behind-the-scenes lever in promoting DEI. If they've stepped back from that, fantastic.

They did after the Fed raised interest rates. When interest rates where zero they pushed for all of this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
DEI does have its perks.

My company never become one of these politically crazy companies, but since we've been back to office for over 2 years in hybrid mode, weve had tons of free ethnic lunches celebrating culture X. I dont think anyone really gives a shit since it's basically a memo talking about stuff then a reminder there's tables of free food. Grab some eats and go back to work.

We get this every couple months. Works great. No major pushes of politics or DEI stuff.

Humdinger

They did after the Fed raised interest rates. When interest rates where zero they pushed for all of this.

Do you have a link or article that I could read about that - about Blackrock discontinuing the incentivizing of DEI? I'd like to believe, but I hadn't heard that before, and I'm wondering why it slipped below the radar - because if that's true, it's a big deal.

Puscifer

The hilarious part is the most of the things of the project 2025 (that is used like a boogeyman) are not achievable in the first place 🤣
It can happen when you read the documents about their plans of subverting the government through replacement of government employees with idealogues. That level of snake shit gives them the power to do it, they'll have opposition sure, but when you have that many people on your side it makes it a lot easier for the heritage project and all who agree with it who are currently in power to enact this plan along with agenda 47 even if the new republican government distances itself from it. That's all I have to say on the matter, not catching a ban for politics.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They did that? Crazy.

That's like allowing (or not) any person walking into a store. Sorry bud, you scored low points so you're not allowed in. That would be numero-uno bigoted business practices.

Yet, hiring/promoting based on demographic pt systems is allowed? Ok government watchdogs and labour lawyers, where's the corporate infraction cases and penalties?
Yup have mentioned it here before but seems very fitting in this thread

Was told that especially promotions at Xbox at least handed down from MS HQ that there was point system in place and you were given points based on other factors before ever entering the interview

As it was put "Being a Black Lesbian means you hit the trifecta" already having 3 points before ever walking into the room

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The world is healing :messenger_grinning_smiling:

DEI was "supposed" to make business more profitable, but the actuality is that its proven to be massively cash-negative due to controversy and backlash.
Unfortunately for institutions where the negative impact isn't so obvious on the balance sheets (like government and education) no doubt its going to stick around for some time yet.

micro-blogroll-logos-1655234296443.jpg

Microsoft is reportedly shuttering a major diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) team, according to an internal email sent by the team's leader to a significant number of Microsoft staff last week, in which the lead also accuses the company's executive leadership of "investigated and evidenced discrimination, harassment, and toxicity."

The email, first reported by Business Insider and corroborated by IGN, was sent by the former lead of one of Microsoft's key DEI teams. In it, they state that their "role and team were eliminated due to 'changing business needs' as of July 1st, 2024." IGN has reached out to Microsoft for comment as to the full extent and nature of these layoffs, but has not yet heard back.

The email goes on to assert that DEI programs are in danger not just at Microsoft, but across all businesses:

via IGN

Animated GIF

Good. Best news I've read all week.

Fake

Gold Member
god is real GIF

Microsoft is reportedly shuttering a major diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) team, according to an internal email sent by the team's leader to a significant number of Microsoft staff last week, in which the lead also accuses the company's executive leadership of "investigated and evidenced discrimination, harassment, and toxicity."
audacity_cover.jpg

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember when the company I work for killed off their DEI program, but it was in its infancy. They hired someone who started in the role trying to tell us why we had to cave in to the feelings of young millennials and zoomers to make them want to work for the company. Once the lady said white men should wait until the rest of the people in the room had finished speaking the company's CEO fired her and the HR director who hired her for wasting the management team's time and the company's money.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Glad to see terms like “woke” and “DEI” take on such a negative connotation because it’s shameful.

These dipshits will be back again, when they figure out some new buzzword that means “let’s treat people differently and hold people to different standards based on their race, gender, and sexual orientation.”

So I work in DEI we are having to avoid certain terms now. Like we're having to avoid words like diversity and be a bit more tactical with the terms we use. Same with projects we use terms more like to expand our potential work force rather than minorities or underrepresented groups. Job titles are changing but we're still doing the same jobs we just can't be that overt.

If they're lucky they can get back to the '90s version of this which managed to also still tell great stories and respect fandoms without demonizing existing fanbases with things like "cis white Christian male" or "misogyny" or "male gaze".

Glad to see terms like “woke” and “DEI” take on such a negative connotation because it’s shameful.

These dipshits will be back again, when they figure out some new buzzword that means “let’s treat people differently and hold people to different standards based on their race, gender, and sexual orientation.”
And ESG, too.

I've heard of BRIDGE, but it seems to not have gained much traction.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Has any term been so thoroughly bastardized as "fascist"? 99.9% of the people who use it have no idea what it means.
Yeah. I googled it a couple of times in the past couple of months and I still don't get it fully

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom