• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
By an unverified intelligence source, which means it has been published as fact without proof, for all we know a 15 year old could have whipped this up in their moms basement over a weekend.
An official in the US administration who spoke to the Guardian described the source who wrote the intelligence report as consistently reliable, meticulous and well-informed, with a reputation for having extensive Russian contacts.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-mccain-alleging-secret-trump-russia-contacts

It's one thing if this was some kind of closing argument being presented but this is literally the beginning. The proper agencies are looking into it, there's nothing to credit or discredit. These arguments are about as fruitless as the months spent arguing over that damn e-mail server. Until Comey or whoever is in charge makes a definitive statement, it's all in flux.

So Carl Bernstein lied on national television. That's your stance.

Where was Woodward?

If they were briefed in the same room, at the same time, was Obama all

TDL5LEQ.gif

That's gold.

faisal233

Of course they should be briefed. This is a damaging piece about to go out int he wild. Not briefing them/preparing them would be sheer stupidity. That doesn't mean they believe everything in it though.

I wonder if Obama got briefed by 4 intelligence chiefs about his Keynesian birth certificate.

Henkka

Banned
By an unverified intelligence source, which means it has been published as fact without proof, for all we know a 15 year old could have whipped this up in their moms basement over a weekend.

I mean for that to be true, you'd have to assume that the intelligence community is totally incompetent and presented something with zero sourcing to the president and president-elect. Like a 15 year old typed this up one night, e-mailed it to MI6 and everyone there just went "Yeah seems legit"

Obama didn't get briefed on Pizzagate.

Fularu

Banned
I wonder if Obama got briefed by 4 intelligence chiefs about his Keynesian birth certificate.

Are you putting this 35 pages report on the same level as the birther movement? Really?

Also I'm prety sure he was briefed on it and on how to react to it (since he eventually adressed it)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

This an actually funny typo.

Are you putting this 35 pages report on the same level as the birther movement? Really?

Also I'm prety sure he was briefed on it and on how to react to it (since he eventually adressed it)

It should be noted that the PDF in question was only part of his briefing. It stands for reason that the report received by Obama (and Trump) included all manners of side notes by the different intelligence agencies with their own relevant information. They don't dump a bunch of pages on his lap and say "here's your report".

Oersted

This is no different than any report written by a former CIA member. Why would this one (which provides no evidences, just hearsay) be better?

Im merely saying that the "Former MI6 member" shouldn't be a free pass card knowing who commandited the report in the first place (#NeverTrump people within the GOP right?)

So what? That's at worst childish. That's like, the least of your worries if 10% of the report is true

A grown up man let hookers pee on the mattress where the President slept, because he is full of hate for the President.

And your reaction is so what.

Okay.

faisal233

I mean for that to be true, you'd have to assume that the intelligence community is totally incompetent and presented something with zero sourcing to the president and president-elect.

Obama didn't get briefed on Pizzagate.

YOU HAVE NO PROOF. SHOW ME ALL THE PDBS FOR THE LAST YEAR!!!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Yes there is reason to believe there is allegedly more.

I mean, so many allegations, if even ONE of the serious ones is proven to be true, things are going to get serious really wuickly.

Honestly will this information change anything? Trump supporters won't turn on him for this and will circumnavigate the globe via backpedalling if they have to.

Let's see, unconfirmed informations like Benghazi, Clinton emails or the birther thing caused problems for the democratic party.

Fularu

Banned
A grown up man let hookers pee on the mattress where the President slept, because he is full of hate for the President.

And your reaction is so what.

Okay.

Yes because that's the least of one's worries about the contents of that report

Like, at the bottom of the bottom of the pile.

Anyone interested in reading all 35 pages.
Here is the full report as a .pdf
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984/Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.pdf

The interesting part that stood out to me was that Trump was footing part of the bill for the hacking operations aimed to further the goals of the intelligence operation etc, although paid directly by Russia the origin of the money was the partly at least the Ttump bank accounts. Or so it says in the last few pages.

If they can ever follow the money proof of that alone would be enough to impeach him

A lot of the pdf contains info that can be verified by FBI: the travel movements of the individuals such as the Trump lawyer, Cohen, etc.

The other interesting tidbit was the Trump team liked to have the media chasing Russia as it took their eyes away from much deeper issues such as business related bribery going on in China and elsewhere that would be damaging if it was shown during the campaign.

If this election or anything in recent times have taught me anything it's that just because the "Top Brass" have been alerted to something does not make it true.

You would think with the amount of fake news going around that people would use more common sense than to rely on something that is unverified and just for clarification, a document leaking out on the internet isn't verification that a former MI6 agent wrote it.

Weren't people on hete just the other day shitting all over wikileaks for leaking fake information? Why is the same level of suspicion not being used now?

What the hell are you talking about? This MI6 agent is known and considered credible. Are you saying nobody asked the agent if the report was theirs?

Grug

If this election or anything in recent times have taught me anything it's that just because the "Top Brass" have been alerted to something does not make it true.

You would think with the amount of fake news going around that people would use more common sense than to rely on something that is unverified and just for clarification, a document leaking out on the internet isn't verification that a former MI6 agent wrote it.

Weren't people on hete just the other day shitting all over wikileaks for leaking fake information? Why is the same level of suspicion not being used now?

You are so poorly briefed on the situation that you've chosen the wrong hill to die on.

I think you would have been better off trying to question the legitimacy of the source's analysis rather than his identify itself, but I guess you will get to that soon enough.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Why are you equating senior intelligence officials with wikileaks?

Alx

Well in this time and day, it's always better to take sensational news with caution and not be too eager to believe them because they fit our agenda. But even if it is fake, it may have the benefit of making everybody consider the issue of fake news, even those who were usually the first to believe them, and maybe (maybe) help people be more critical in the future. And if it is true, then something really needs to come out of it, in my opinion (but then it's for Americans to take their responsibilities).

Funny thing is how much of the focus is on the sex/pee stuff, when the major issue should be about all the intelligence stuff, money changing hands and conflicts of interest.

I am not saying its true or not true. It probably is fake or exaggerated but for it to get to that stage it needs to have some credit (which that source will either gain or lose over the course of time) What it certainly is, is something to discuss considering prior to any of this Trump has appeared as a non us resident as a Russian stooge for the longest time.

Oersted

Yes because that's the least of one's worries about the contents of that report

Like, at the bottom of the bottom of the pile.

I agree that Trump being a traitor is the bigger news.

I disagree that the future President living out crazy hate in crazy ways is a "So what?" story. It is not normal. It is deeply disturbing.

This all sounds so ridiculous, like Trump hate-fiction. I'm still skeptical, as much as I'd like it to be true. If ANY of it is, Trump is literally scum of the earth and deserves to go under the jail, but I'm not about to whip myself into a self-righteous frenzy just yet. Problem is how the fuck DO you verify any of this?

jelly

Can Trump brush this under the carpet once he is in office ?

Even if they do find proof, can he tell the FBI etc. to ignore it?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Well in this time and day, it's always better to take sensational news with caution and not be too eager to believe them because they fit our agenda. But even if it is fake, it may have the benefit of making everybody consider the issue of fake news, even those who were usually the first to believe them, and maybe (maybe) help people be more critical in the future. And if it is true, then something really needs to come out of it, in my opinion (but then it's for Americans to take their responsibilities).

Funny thing is how much of the focus is on the sex/pee stuff, when the major issue should be about all the intelligence stuff, money changing hands and conflicts of interest.

Political coordination takes it from conflicts of interests to sedition.

The source being vetted by American intelligence as reliable and consistent and the prescience of some of its parts makes it at least worthy of investigation. If this turns out to be a dud... heads will roll. And the mainstream media will never be the same again.

Either way, we are entering uncharted waters. The effects of post-truth reporting are already palpable.

Fularu

Banned
I agree that Trump being a traitor is the bigger news.

I disagree that the future President living out crazy hate in crazy ways is a "So what?" story. It is normal. It is deeply disturbing.

You'd be surprised at how prevalent defacing your opponents is.

It's usually not made public (but you learn of it when those people pass away)... While gross, it really doesn't bother me all that much, it's childish, stupid (but hey, it's Trump, so who's really surprised here?) and pointless.

weekev

Banned
This all sounds so ridiculous, like Trump hate-fiction. I'm still skeptical, as much as I'd like it to be true. If ANY of it is, Trump is literally scum of the earth and deserves to go under the jail, but I'm not about to whip myself into a self-righteous frenzy just yet. Problem is how the fuck DO you verify any of this?

Someone needs to counter hack Russia and get the video I guess.

Guy.brush

Anyone interested in reading all 35 pages.
Here is the full report as a .pdf
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984/Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.pdf

Also want to stress again:
This is NOT the intelligence briefing report compiled by NSA/CIA/FBI.
This has been compiled by an Ex MI6 agent's agency who spent most of the 90s in Moscow and since then has good connections to Intelligence sources there.
Apparently this 35 page report was initially ordered by Trump's GOP rivals so they could get some dirt on him.
This report was referenced by the CIA/FBI/NSA briefing though and all three agencies believe its source to be credible (at least in the past), even though most of the allegations at this point in time probably cannot be proven with enough direct evidence.
Apparently the NSA/CIA/FBI briefing also referenced other sources, not just this report.
The report apparently was known to Harry Reid back in October when he tried to have FBi director Comey action on it and then later McCain handed it over to Comey as well.
So this is just the beginning.

Same way as any other organized crime thing: you get a small thing but enough to turn a guy who gives up more to turn a guy above him, and sooner or later there is enough to scare cooperation all the way to the top. People who can verify this stuff haven't been killed they have been coerced and paid off. They are still walking around, some may be waiting for a way out.

Fularu

Banned
Political coordination takes it from conflicts of interests to sedition.

The source being vetted by American intelligence as reliable and consistent and the prescience of some of its parts makes it at least worthy of investigation. If this turns out to be a dud... heads will roll. And the mainstream media will never be the same again.

Either way, we are entering uncharted waters. The effects of post-truth reporting are already palpable.

What are the odds that the ex-MI6 person got fed bogus data to discredit links between Russia and the Trump campaign? Knowing the FSB, that wouldn'T be super far fetched

Also want to stress again:
This is NOT the intelligence briefing report compiled by NSA/CIA/FBI.
This has been compiled by an Ex MI6 agent's agency who spent most of the 90s in Moscow and since then has good connections to Intelligence sources there.
Apparently this 35 page report was initially ordered by Trump's GOP rivals so they could get some dirt on him.
This report was referenced by the CIA/FBI/NSA briefing though and all three agencies believe its source to be credible (at least in the past), even though most of the allegations at this point in time probably cannot be proven with enough direct evidence.
Apparently the NSA/CIA/FBI briefing also referenced other sources, not just this report.
The report apparently was known to Harry Reid back in October when he tried to have FBi director Comey action on it and then later McCain handed it over to Comey as well.
So this is just the beginning.
Great summary

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What are the odds that the ex-MI6 person got fed bogus data to discredit links between Russia and the Trump campaign? Knowing the FSB, that wouldn'T be super far fetched

The amount and scope of the data makes it super far fetched, unless he is a double agent.

In which case, Hail Hydra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom