• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hjod

Banned
So what's up with 4Chan is all behind this? Can they be?

I don't know, but likely not, if this has been circulating the FBI and the Intelligence Community for a month they probably have vetted the "Ex-M16" agent. I hope they have at least. And reading the thread it seems like they have done so.

MUnited83

For you.
No, not at all. The only single thing that came from. 4chan was a fake page talking about anime, that is not present in the leaked document at all.
People pushing the "4chan did this" narrative are pushing that fake page as the proof that this is all fake news so they try to shut this before it gets too bigm

JaggedSac

Back to the origins
466px-Feels_good_man_full_comic.jpg

Lol

Given the semi-understood facts (McCain sees report w/ more info on who wrote it up, decides its legit, hands it over to the FBI etc) we are sort of trusting McCain's judgement.

Basically, no, I wouldn't put stock in this being an elaborate troll. It doesn't mesh with the known facts.

IMO the best way to look at this is:

1. The report is valid - it was shared around Washington and so on.
2. The SOURCES of the report are not very strong - it seems like carefully collected gossip.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Dont fall for attempts to muddle the issue.
Its confusion politics, where they seed doubt and misinformation to combat truths.

This 4chan thing is exactly that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
>Main goal of DNC emails appeared to be swinging Sanders voters to Trump.

wait... this means that the DNC themselves figured it was better to have Sanders voters like Trump than hilary, to.... help hilary?

Or have I missed the point? because that seems SUPER DUPER shortsighted

They all already claim it as fake news, but yeah, lots of posts about it being a 4chan story.

Then a lot more posts about how Trump should sue and punish the MSM, and how crooked the left is, lol.

Yeah, about what you'd expect I guess. Honestly makes you wonder how these people would react if they were forced to analyse anti-Hillary news with the same level of scrutiny they dissect anti-Trump reports. They'd go nauseous at realization of their double standards.

I agree we should be careful until there is proof but that 4chan picture is about the least reliable piece of junk evidence I've seen in a while.

kirblar

wait... this means that the DNC themselves figured it was better to have Sanders voters like Trump than hilary, to.... help hilary?

They're saying Russia hacked/leaked the DNC stuff to swing Sanders voters to Trump.

tbm24

It's referring to the leak of said emails by Russia.

Main point of the DNC email leaks

The leaks of the DNC were done to completely sway any Sanders supporter thinking of voting for CLinton

gcubed

No, it means that enough information from leaks would get pissy Sanders supporters to support Trump instead

Main point of -releasing- distracting emails through plausibly deniable Wikileaks and make smoke in general. was to sway sanders voters towards Trump or to not vote.

Audioboxer

I doubt either will happen. He's been smeared, rightly or wrongly. And proof will be very hard to come by, we might get some stuff about the meetings etc, but unless Russia get s tired of him or wants to cause a major distraction we wont get the hard evidence they most likely have on him.

I think some of the less insane republicans might do something. Here's hoping. At least the Big Don will be distracted by this and probably other dark shit he's done surfacing over the years.

Rightly or wrongly he's going to have to somehow produce evidence other than tweeting. Sure we're suppose to maintain innocent until proven guilty but I've watched countless replies in this topic say "100% fact/100% proof/he's 100% guilty, peeing included". While I don't think that's a very wise way to handle serious allegations it is but a large part of the world we live in now. Like Hillary had to Trump if innocent is now going to have to spend a lot of time refuting these claims.

The only way that job somehow gets done for him is if a miracle happens and a portion if not a large chunk of this was fabricated and someone can prove it. My personal opinion is there is truth mixed in with bullshit. Some of the document does read like a best case scenario wet dream. Other parts are highly believable. I have zero evidence to back those feelings up though.

RawNuts

Yeah, about what you'd expect I guess. Honestly makes you wonder how these people would react if they were forced to analyse anti-Hillary news with the same level of scrutiny they dissect anti-Trump reports. They'd go nauseous at realization of their double standards.
I read more than 4 serious mentions of pizzagate and a number of mentions about pedophiles still; they're certainly not very good at dissecting information.

Breads

Banned

The DNC didn't release the emails. Their intention played no part in this. They are talking about what Trump/ his people/ Russia wanted to do with the DNC emails.

I have zero pity for Trump in any of this after all the shit he caused.

Just deserts I say whatever the case.

This is where I'm at. I'm not totally convinced of what I read but fuck him for everything he's done including letting misinformation like Pizzagate slide. He clearly has no problem with the issues his people cause with the misinformation they have as long as he benefits from this. Forever taint the transition with piss for him and his degenerate fuck supporters.

Vagabundo

Rightly or wrongly he's going to have to somehow produce evidence other than tweeting. Sure we're suppose to maintain innocent until proven guilty but I've watched countless replies in this topic say "100% fact/100% proof/he's 100% guilty, peeing included". While I don't think that's a very wise way to handle serious allegations it is but a large part of the world we live in now. Like Hillary had to Trump if innocent is now going to have to spend a lot of time refuting these claims.

The only way that job somehow gets done for him is if a miracle happens and a portion if not a large chunk of this was fabricated and someone can prove it. My personal opinion is there is truth mixed in with bullshit. Some of the document does read like a best case scenario wet dream. Other parts are highly believable. I have zero evidence to back those feelings up though.

Yup that's my feeling too. there are bound to be inaccuracies with how this information was collected.

ValeYard

Wow, so I woke up this morning and most of the media seems to be going with 'hoax'?

They seem to be confusing unverified with unverifiable.

After all the speculatory masturbation/speculabation they did regarding HEC's emails' possible content, this feels like a double standard.

Given the semi-understood facts (McCain sees report w/ more info on who wrote it up, decides its legit, hands it over to the FBI etc) we are sort of trusting McCain's judgement.

Basically, no, I wouldn't put stock in this being an elaborate troll. It doesn't mesh with the known facts.

IMO the best way to look at this is:

1. The report is valid - it was shared around Washington and so on.
2. The SOURCES of the report are not very strong - it seems like carefully collected gossip.
The sources have been found to be credible - that's why this information was shared with POTUs and PEOTUS. The claims are still being investigated.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
He has a press conference in 4 hours. He likely won't spend to much time on this though, outside "It's not true. #FakeNews. Sad!" etc.
He can try, but thats the only questions he is going to get.
He didnt exactly make any friends with the media. Especially put himself in a bear trap when he delayed this conference a full month, something never done before.

The key thing to remember this is opposition research which means there could very well be inaccuracies. I think this is why you haven't seen any of the big 4 departments move in some heavy way. They have to be very careful to make sure that if they do move forward on some legal charges it's a rock solid, 100% proven piece of information.

Wow, so I woke up this morning and most of the media seems to be going with 'hoax'?

No? The Guardian, WP and NYT don't. They correctly point out that verification is lacking yet in order to not receive heavy backlash if this does turn out a fake. I can see why this story is hard to run as a title story with so little to corroborate it. It could backfire pretty badly.

The sources have been found to be credible - that's why this information was shared with POTUs and PEOTUS. The claims are still being investigated.

Yup, that's what I mean by the sources not being credible. The source of the report (ex-MI6 person) is reputable. But the nature of gathering intelligence like this is that a lot of the sources won't be 100% reliable themselves - that's the nature of Chinese Whispers, you know?

What else is there to say?

Quite a lot. This report is now open to any two-bit journalist to have a crack at tearing down. I doubt the truth will come out prior to Trump becoming POTUS, though.

My hunch is that this is an over-egged pudding, but it's entirely true that there are links between Trump and the Russian government. It just depends on if those were innocuous links or we're actually living in a conspiracy novel. My hunch is that quite a few high-ranking Russians believed that there was a conspiracy, perhaps being fed that information to try and disrupt the elections or perhaps legitimately hearing rumours, but beyond that it's absolutely impossible to tell.

Of course, if the US government turns around and says that this report is actually 100% junk and wasn't passed around Washington recently, then we can go back to just being sad about Trump being POTUS.

Audioboxer

The key thing to remember this is opposition research which means there could very well be inaccuracies. I think this is why you haven't seen any of the big 4 departments move in some heavy way. They have to be very careful to make sure that if they do move forward on some legal charges it's a rock solid, 100% proven piece of information.

True which is the risk with sharing something like this in full, especially IF investigations are on-going. Having the public know pre-investigation isn't always helpful. It also allows mobilization of the forces that be to cover up any things IF their is truths.

Buzzfeed better hope their legal department is prepared either way.

They seem to be confusing unverified with unverifiable.

After all the speculatory masturbation/speculabation they did regarding HEC's emails' possible content, this feels like a double standard.
Been watching CNN. They definitely aren't implying this is a hoax. Just exactly what it is: unverified allegations that are serious enough to be investigated, and that these allegations were most certainly mentioned in the actual report that was given to Obama and also to the PEEOTUS.

Carnby

This story is how real news sites will loose all credibility in 2017. Literally zip is going to come from this story. It will only damage major news outlets.

...Yet he still become president in 9 days...

This document isn't new, it's been circulating amongst agencies since November. The FBI/CIA/NSA can't just see this report and go "GET HIM" the information needs to be 100% verified and concrete. This is a completely new and unprecedented thing so they have to be extremely careful in moving forward on it.

This story is how real news sites will loose all credibility in 2017. Literally zip is going to come from this story. It will only damage major news outlets.
Which is surely the wrong takeaway considering the document and it's sources are legit and BuzzFeed was simply reporting on the matter.

Breads

Banned

I think Trump getting as many votes as he did proved that people don't care about credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom