• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Just watched a clip...who the hell was clapping when CNN was called fake news? If it was another news organization they need to be dragged to hell and back.

Zereta

The deflection and subsequent ending of the press conference centered around whether his team was in contact with Russia are very, very telling.

Confirmation, not yet.

Right now:

1) Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen was not in Prague but a different Michael Cohen was.
2) NBC's Russian correspondent's source says the briefing was false, going against multiple reports and multiple other sources.

Keep digging folks. Keep. Digging.

jelly

If he isn't arrested along with others or at least not allowed to be President I will be surprised. He is rotten to the core, a liar, a danger to the US and the World and many other bad things.

9 days, come on!

Dude, how can you live with hitching your trailer to that orange Manchurian cheeto? Seriously, have some self respect.

This is nonsense, and I'd really encourage you to reconsider how you think about politics.

I guarantee I hate Trump more than you. I've organized large demonstrations against him since the election. The difference is that I also find mainstream liberalism to also be beyond deplorable.

If you really look at Obama and Clinton's records, it's an improvement over the Bush era, but is ultimately smaller steps in the wrong direction. I completely oppose the US actions in the middle east and Africa. I think it's repulsive that the US counts Saudi Arabia as an ally. There's no excuse for Obama's justice department's failure to prosecute a single wall st executive responsible for the 2008 crash or any subsequent crimes.

If we want to make actual progress, we need to rebuild independent political movements. We need to reinvigorate organized labor to actually antagonize business rather than working in partnership. We need radical movements on college campuses. Most of all we need something like a US Labor Party, I don't care what it's called.

If you think there's no valid criticism of liberalism other than what's articulated by the GOP, then I think you need to expand your horizons a bit.

Adaren

He was asked to deny the alleged contact between his campaign and Russia during the election.

He didn't deny it, he dodged the question.

Here you go folks, there it is.

I'm still not sure if it's real, but then there's stuff like that

and his ALL CAPS tweets

and changing the GOP platform's stance on Ukraine

and the fact that, despite getting criticized to hell and back on his Russia stance, he refuses to change it (despite tailoring literally every other stance he has based on public feedback).

Trump isn't playing the long game. You can read him like a book. If it were all fake, he'd be gloating, not enraged.

Hopefully the intelligence community can find something concrete.

Was this book posted?
Domald Tromp Pounded In The Butt By The Handsome Russian T-Rex Who Also Peed On His Butt And Then Blackmailed Him With A Video Of His Butt Getting Peed On
51oKpntKtOL.jpg

Also anyone read it?

Man, that motherfucker is fast.

edit: and yeah, his cover design is on point too.

The deflection and subsequent ending of the press conference centered around whether his team was in contact with Russia are very, very telling.

Confirmation, not yet.

Right now:

1) Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen was not in Prague but a different Michael Cohen was.
2) NBC's Russian correspondent's source says the briefing was false, going against multiple reports and multiple other sources.

For point 1, it should be noted that Cohen meeting in Prague was already low confidence intel according to the report. The report explicitly mentions this.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
lol, it's times like this being a mod must be awesome. Most of us do multi-tab on GAF and you do see some strange posts in topics where it's like yeah, you meant that thread :p

it would've made sense just the press conference got broken out into it's own thread and I wanted to keep it there. but yeah, I've done that plenty of times before.

Zereta

For point 1, it should be noted that Cohen meeting in Prague was already low confidence intel according to the report. The report explicitly mentions this.

Absolutely.

My view is that the reporting that a *different* Michael Cohen was in Prague just adds further credibility to that document. It's was low confidence intel and this shows why it was low confidence: confirmation that a Michael Cohen was there, intelligence agent wasn't able to verify who but the name was such a coincidence he included it as part of the larger investigation.

If he isn't arrested along with others or at least not allowed to be President I will be surprised. He is rotten to the core, a liar, a danger to the US and the World and many other bad things.

9 days, come on!

lol i've been seeing these statements day-in day-out for the past year. this gonna be the mantra for the next 8 years

Kyzer

Banned
Because Lord kept talking about the crazyness of the issue, you kept changing the topic to talk about its veracity. They're different.

I'm just gonna quote this part, which sum it up pretty well.

Conclusion. It IS crazy as a whole, but not so much when you take into account all of these factors that we've been seeing.

Not so difficult to understand.

The whole point is I disagree. I literally take issue with the concept of it being an objective truth that is easy to see. "IT IS CRAZY but really its not that crazy when ... " wut

There is nothing you could have possibly seen or heard during this election that would make it not shocking that Trump was exchanging information in secret meetings with Russia, making agreements to undercut NATO and brush Ukraine under the rug along with other shady deals, that they've been grooming him for 8+ years and are blackmailing him with compromising info.

You are just agreeing with him because you view things the same way. How the fuck is that not shocking to you unless its confirmation bias because of your opinion of Trump? You don't know anything we don't unless you are in the FBI or CIA. There has never been any sort of information or evidence to back any of these claims before, and sorry, Trump having a buddy buddy relationship with Russia does not make these things not crazy. This goes WAY further. Straight up treason.

And for the record, when youre saying like LF was that a theory might be true because by claiming only one thing has been debunked so far, and that only the pee thing is even absurd, you are absolutely making a case for the report possibly being true, and you don't have to necessarily believe that it is or isn't. Im not even saying its 100% false, either. its just extremely likely to be fake, and my entire argument is not only that, but that it is indeed crazy af.

Nixon was one of the most politically astute and intelligent politicians/presidents of all time, and still in spite of that, he got his hand caught in the cookie jar and his ego destroyed him.

I just can't believe Trump will not similarly be driven insane, over reach in going after anyone in government he believes is conspiring against him, and destroy himself in the process.

Regardless of whether or not this report is true, Trump will absolutely be going after people who he sees as not "on his side", and break a shit ton of laws doing so.

KHarvey16

Confirmation, not yet.

Right now:

The NBC report said it was unvetted, not false.

I literally cannot stand watching this man anymore so I skipped the conference (and will skip literally everything he's in in the future), so the gist of it was a bunch of rambling nonsense and dodging questions?

The whole point is I disagree. I literally take issue with the concept of it being an objective truth that is easy to see. "IT IS CRAZY but really its not that crazy when ... " wut

There is nothing you could have possibly seen or heard during this election that would make it not shocking that Trump was exchanging information in secret meetings with Russia, making agreements to undercut NATO and brush Ukraine under the rug along with other shady deals, that they've been grooming him for 8+ years and are blackmailing him with compromising info.

You are just agreeing with him because you view things the same way. How the fuck is that not shocking to you unless its confirmation bias because of your opinion of Trump? You don't know anything we don't unless you are in the FBI or CIA. There has never been any sort of information or evidence to back any of these claims before, and sorry, Trump having a buddy buddy relationship with Russia does not make these things not crazy. This goes WAY further. Straight up treason.

And for the record, when youre saying like LF was that a theory might be true because it hasnt been debunked by claiming only one thing has been debunked so far, and that only the pee thing is even absurd, you are absolutely making a case for the report possibly being true, and you don't have to necessarily believe that it is or isn't. Im not even saying its 100% false, either. its just extremely likely to be fake, and my entire argument is not only that, but that it is indeed crazy af.

I think, at this point, you are either intentionally being pig-headed about what is being said, or you truly cannot follow this conversation.

In the absolutely simplest of terms it boils down to this: A candidate ran his campaign with a very pro-Russia and pro-Putin bend, had the election influenced by Russia for them, has financial and staff ties to Russia, and is now taking direct action to potentially help Russia. It would not be shocking at all to learn this candidate had some ties to Russia that was influencing them in some way because this tie to Russia has been present from the beginning and now in the process of being enacted. Is the fact that we could potentially have a President-Elect in this situation. Yes, it's crazy, shocking, scary, all of the above. But is it shocking when you look back at said candidate's history and see just how embroiled he's been in Russian things and is taking moves that could actually benefit Russia? Not really, no.

EDIT: And again, just so this doesn't shift again, I'm not saying all of that verifies that said candidate actually is a Russian plant, but it's undeniably been a trend for this campaign, so it's a pretty amazing coincidence if none of it leads to anything. But yes, it could be a coincidence. But the reality of these things have nothing to do with my opinion of Trump. These are all real and verifiable things that have happened. Take away Trump from the equatation, and put any other "candidate" there, and you can still see the same pattern.

its been said countless times this election but man, those poor House of Cards writers must be stressed that real politics has out done them.

I guess you could literally just take this election and adapt it for the show and make it some sick commentary on the state of america.

Nixon was one of the most politically astute and intelligent politicians/presidents of all time, and still in spite of that, he got his hand caught in the cookie jar and his ego destroyed him.

I just can't believe Trump will not similarly be driven insane, over reach in going after anyone in government he believes is conspiring against him, and destroy himself in the process.

Regardless of whether or not this report is true, Trump will absolutely be going after people who he sees as not "on his side", and break a shit ton of laws doing so.

This is strange. Nixon lost his 1960 presidential campaign. He lost a CA gubernatorial race. He campaigned for the Trump of his day, Barry Goldwater. He was notorious for using racial dogwhistles and he developed the racist southern strategy as president. In what sense is he politically astute and intelligent?

Zereta

The NBC report said it was unvetted, not false.

My bad, yes.

Either way, the larger point I tried to make there is that the document Buzzfeed released is still, largely, in the clear and awaiting verification. The only thing proven, kinda, false is Michael Cohen being in Prague, which the document even lists as being a weak link anyway. And like I mentioned above, the fact that a Michael Cohen was in Prague only lends further credibility to this document.

I just want people here to take this calmly and not freak out over every move in this story until more verifications can happen.

KHarvey16

But worded carefully to imply falsehood.

Yup.

My bad, yes.

Either way, the larger point I tried to make there is that the document Buzzfeed released is still, largely, in the clear and awaiting verification. The only thing proven, kinda, false is Michael Cohen being in Prague, which the document even lists as being a weak link anyway. And like I mentioned above, the fact that a Michael Cohen was in Prague only lends further credibility to this document.

I just want people here to take this calmly and not freak out over every move in this story until more verifications can happen.

Caution is definitely a good idea. Have to be careful not to jump fully to the "confirmed" or "debunked" side just yet.

Bolivar687

Banned
This is strange. Nixon lost his 1960 presidential campaign. He lost a CA gubernatorial race. He campaigned for the Trump of his day, Barry Goldwater. He was notorious for using racial dogwhistles and he developed the racist southern strategy as president. In what sense is he politically astute and intelligent?

Got us out of Vietnam. Moved our relationship with Russia from deterrence to detente. First president to recognize China. Did more for the environment than anyone since Teddy.

One of my most liberal history professors, who's been arrested for civil disobedience, told us with a straight face that Nixon would be considered the best postwar president if it wasn't for Watergate.

mjc

The fact that he didn't answer flat questions about involvement speaks volumes. He had the upper hand to cut this thing off and he left it.

Hari Seldon

its been said countless times this election but man, those poor House of Cards writers must be stressed that real politics has out done them.

I guess you could literally just take this election and adapt it for the show and make it some sick commentary on the state of america.

The next South Park should just be someone reading the real news for the entire episode. No need to animate or come up with a plot lol.

You just answered your own question, bud. Did you not know that he won the Presidency twice, one of which was a landslide?

So, Trump's law firm just got the Russia Law Firm of the Year award.

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that the Trump-Putin-buddy-buddy relationship is the worst kept secret in American politics (neither party is even fucking trying at this point) or that literally nothing is happening about this.

Kyzer

Banned
I think, at this point, you are either intentionally being pig-headed about what is being said, or you truly cannot follow this conversation.

In the absolutely simplest of terms it boils down to this: A candidate ran his campaign with a very pro-Russia and pro-Putin bend, had the election influenced by Russia for them, has financial and staff ties to Russia, and is now taking direct action to potentially help Russia. It would not be shocking at all to learn this candidate had some ties to Russia that was influencing them in some way because this tie to Russia has been present from the beginning and now in the process of being enacted. Is the fact that we could potentially have a President-Elect in this situation. Yes, it's crazy, shocking, scary, all of the above. But is it shocking when you look back at said candidate's history and see just how embroiled he's been in Russian things and is taking moves that could actually benefit Russia? Not really, no.

So, literally confirmation bias.

and I totally disagree, that doesn't make me pig-headed. This is to you, somehow, a down-to-earth predictable accusation to lay upon him and his administration and campaign. Not really. It is a crazy ass story, even you keep saying it yourself. It would be the biggest scandal in USA's history. If you are being reasonable then you have to concede that there is at least a very fair chance that this is confirmation bias to view it as obvious from the beginning, and perhaps somehow argue against it with some actual merit, but instead you keep trying to say im shifting the argument when I'm not, boiling the report down to Trump having simple affection for Russia (which of COURSE you can argue is obvious) which it is not (there are absolutely SCANDALOUS claims), you have implied that nothing aside from the golden showers is crazy (scandalous!), idk.

Im really not having a hard time following our conversation at all, you just keep moving the goalpost.

If all you want to say is its obvious Trump likes Russia, great, again, for the third time, I agree with you.

That's not all you've said.

trembli0s

Got us out of Vietnam. Moved our relationship with Russia from deterrence to detente. First president to recognize China. Did more for the environment than anyone since Teddy.

One of my most liberal history professors, who's been arrested for civil disobedience, told us with a straight face that Nixon would be considered the best postwar president if it wasn't for Watergate.

Essentialism is a bad thing, on both sides. Rough to see how rampant is is here as well.

RDreamer

So, Trump is mad at the intelligence community for leaking this stuff, but if they leaked it that means CNNs reporting is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom