• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mawnster

You cannot expect them to understand over night. It's taken me six months to convince some of my work buddies that the ACA was a law that helped tens of millions, which is likely the reason they also have cheaper healthcare than the previous option (albeit a less conspicuous one).

Work buddies, not Internet trolls. Not the same thing, at all.

Also, this.

Dude, I ain't got six months to talk to King Broly on neogaf about how nothing he says is based in reality.

47348285.jpg

CNN going for the throat tonight. This is a war for their survival and they're treating it like such.
CNN posted massive profits in 2016 and was one of the leading news organizations (along with Fox) that spent a disproportionate time on the email scandal and negativity wrt/Clinton in general. Their creed was build on false equivalence and keeping the horse-race a race in the interests of ratings and money.

One billion dollars profit? Yes, the campaign has been a gusher for CNN
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/one-billion-dollars-profit-yes-the-campaign-has-been-a-gusher-for-cnn/2016/10/27/1fc879e6-9c6f-11e6-9980-50913d68eacb_story.html?utm_term=.7a6753fa0a97
Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have been very, very good for the cable news networks.

Thanks to an audience surge driven by nearly round-the-clock campaign coverage, the leading news networks will reap unpre­cedented profits this year.

According to people intimately familiar with CNN’s finances, the network and its related media businesses will approach $1 billion in gross profit in 2016, a milestone unseen in its 36-year history. The internal estimate reflects a double-digit increase over 2015 and includes CNN’s international network, its popular website and the smaller HLN network, but it is driven primarily by its domestic channel, according to people at CNN.

The common thread for all three organizations has been improved ratings because of the presidential campaign, said Scott Robson, a research analyst at Kagan.

Trump, in particular, seems to have been a magnet for attracting viewers. The first Republican debate, in August of 2015, carried by Fox, attracted 24 million viewers, the most ever for an event during the primaries. That was bookended by the first presidential debate featuring Trump and Clinton in late September, which attracted 84 million viewers, a record audience for such an event.

In between, the networks have larded their airwaves with copious coverage of Trump’s rallies and events, leading to criticism that all the attention propelled Trump to the Republican nomination. Jeff Zucker, president of CNN Worldwide, recently acknowledged that at least some of CNN’s coverage was excessive, but he denied that it vaulted Trump to the nomination.

Jeff Zucker’s singular role in promoting Donald Trump’s rise
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/jeff-zuckers-singular-role-in-promoting-donald-trumps-rise/2016/10/02/7c3d4366-865b-11e6-a3ef-f35afb41797f_story.html?utm_term=.b56ee605d74b
Looking for someone specific to hold responsible for the improbable rise of Donald Trump?

Although there are many options, you could do worse than to take a hard look at Jeff Zucker, president of CNN Worldwide.

It was Zucker, after all, who as the new head of NBC Entertainment gave Trump his start in reality TV with “The Apprentice” and then milked the real estate developer’s uncanny knack for success for all it was worth in ratings and profits.

“The show was built as a virtually nonstop advertisement for the Trump empire and lifestyle,” according to the book “Trump Revealed,” by Washington Post journalists Marc Fisher and Michael Kranish.

And it succeeded wildly — boosting the network’s ratings, as well as Zucker’s meteoric career. In turn, under Zucker, the show gave rise to “Celebrity Apprentice,” another Trump extravaganza. And, in turn, Zucker became the head of NBC overall.

The executive rode the Trump steed hard. When the reality-TV star was preparing to marry Melania Knauss in 2005, Zucker wanted to broadcast the wedding live. (Trump, uncharacteristically, declined.)

But make no mistake: There would be no Trump-the-politician without Trump-the-TV-star. One begot the other.

Ten years later, it was Zucker, now the head of CNN, who gave Trump astonishing amounts of free exposure in the Republican presidential primary on the cable network, continually blasting out his speeches and rallies — often unfiltered and without critical fact-checking.

“It’s a not-unfair knock on CNN to say that they went all in on Trump and helped him enormously,” Ken Lerer, co-founder of the Huffington Post and BuzzFeed, said in a recent onstage interview at City University of New York’s journalism school. “I think it was a strategy, a programming strategy.”

Of course, CNN was hardly alone. Fox News, too, has been a megaphone for Trump for many months. And nearly every news outlet has played a part — from newspaper front pages to NPR to the network nightly news.

Ratings. Clicks. Audience. Say what you will about Trump as a human being or a potential leader of the free world, he has an ineffable ability to get attention. He has called himself a “ratings machine,” and in the world of TV, ratings equal profit.

“It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS,” Leslie Moonves, chairman of CBS, said of the Trump phenomenon in March, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

“The money’s rolling in, and this is fun. It’s a terrible thing to say. But bring it on, Donald. Keep going.”

Jeff Zucker has no regrets
http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/jeff-zucker-cnn-no-regrets-229820
Jeff Zucker sleeps great at night.

The president of CNN said in a conversation at Harvard University on Friday that he has no regrets over how he's directed CNN to cover the 2016 election and, specifically, Donald Trump.

The Republican nominee, who Zucker brought to NBC originally with "The Apprentice" show in the early 2000s, admitted he has "had a unique relationship with Donald Trump, I will acknowledge." So when Trump officially launched his campaign last year (Zucker said he told his staff not to cover Trump unless he officially announced), Zucker knew that Trump would be a ratings machine.

"We recognized ... there was a little bit of a phenomenon to Donald Trump," Zucker said, acknowledging that "we did give him quite a bit of coverage."

If there was one thing he would change about their early coverage, Zucker repeated a sentiment he's made before: less unfiltered nonstop streaming of Trump's early rallies.

"We probably did put on too many of the campaign rallies in the early months unedited," Zucker said. "In hindsight we probably shouldn’t have done that as much."

Whoops?

GAF called out CNN's behavior in December, and back then I was still under the faulty impression they did an admirable job in their political coverage and defended them at length. It's only recently that I've gained a deeper appreciation for how goddamn wrong I was after having reviewed post-mortems of 2016's election coverage across the networks.

So yeah, no (more) sympathy for CNN from me. They helped create this beast, a fact other posters accurately called months ago. At this point we are merely watching them flail at this monster they unleashed as it rampages across their laboratory before inevitably escaping to terrorize the helpless village below.

The bad news? We're the villagers.

Ac30

You cannot expect them to understand over night. It's taken me six months to convince some of my work buddies that the ACA was a law that helped tens of millions, which is likely the reason they also have cheaper healthcare than the previous option (albeit a less conspicuous one).

Six months, to wittle that stubbornness and ignorance based on propaganda that was used dehumanize people, but it's worth it because they also learn about other people and become to understand their supposed liberal enemy.

We cannot engage in the same dehumanizing tactic no matter how evil and ignorant they may be. There is a time to fight, but in our way; a way that does not include turning warped people into monsters.

That said, fuck Trump.

I'm glad you managed to do that. I'm slowly trying to do the same with a friend of mine - and thought it ain't smooth, I think I'm getting through. Not everyone can be convinced, but there's always some.

Out of curiosity, what do they think of the ACA now? Indifferent, or actively for it?

Mully

Work buddies, not Internet trolls. Not the same thing, at all.

More like my bosses who yell at me, but yeah I understand it's difficult to make a similar effort online, but I think we could all make somewhat of an effort to engage with the other side that does not sound like sports talk radio.

Capella

I haven't been keeping up with the last few pages but I'm guessing the big news right now is Clapper's statement? It looks like he's just reiterated what everyone in the media has already said about the information in the document and nothing he's said looks to debunk what CNN reported.

You have to sort of really dig in with them and work at where they are coming from and why they believe that, and how it doesn't make sense for them to believe that for their own self interests. You have to take some time to unravel the ignorance.

And how many people are really willing to put up that kind of time investment

guek

Banned
I have learned this from some of my friends from HS. I grew up in a small town. Some of them have bought into some stupid shit.

You can't just get mad at them and shut them down and discount any of their ideas/information outright. then they do the same to you, even though their information is bad and they will continue being ignorant.

You have to sort of really dig in with them and work at where they are coming from and why they believe that, and how it doesn't make sense for them to believe that for their own self interests. You have to take some time to unravel the ignorance. If you just shout at them or make fun of them it just isolates them further into their shitty bubble.
Yup. I've been guilty of dogpiling too. But On gaf, trying to chastise the behaviour doesn't work either. Best you can do is try not to contribute to it *shrugs*

Six months, to wittle that stubbornness and ignorance based on propaganda that was used dehumanize people, but it's worth it because they also learn about other people and become to understand their supposed liberal enemy.

We cannot engage in the same dehumanizing tactic no matter how evil and ignorant they may be. There is a time to fight, but in our way; a way that does not include turning warped people into monsters.

That said, fuck Trump.

Dude, don't tell me about convincing people when I spent 550 hours working for the Democratic Campaign in rural New Hampshire last year.

I know what works and what doesn't and I also know when someone is convincible.

rjinaz

everything is fake news

except lifezette

lifezette: life, explained

It's sick that earlier when people were celebrating the way Trump shut down the CNN reporter that it meant that Trump will not allow journalism that may not favor him and only that which worships the ground he walks on. He calls CNN fake news but then tweets lifezette, giving his approval to an alt right mess that would never say anything bad about him.
But LOL CNN HAD IT COMING!

These same people will deny he is acting like a dictator, as he is acting like a dictator. Wants state sponsored news basically. Trumped approved news.

And how many people are really willing to put up that kind of time investment
It's not too hard to do if you actually sort of like those people or have to see them a lot (coworkers). Even easier if you honestly believe the person is inherently good but has been fooled or is in a really bad place at the moment, which is why some of us still tolerate our horrible uncles.

But none of us give a shit about King Broly and will never have to deal with him.

Mully

I'm glad you managed to do that. I'm slowly trying to do the same with a friend of mine - and thought it ain't smooth, I think I'm getting through. Not everyone can be convinced, but there's always some.

Out of curiosity, what do they think of the ACA now? Indifferent, or actively for it?

I chose the Platnium plan for the insurance that was offered through my work. I pay about $75/week for it, which stings some weeks, but I get free prescriptions and a $15 copay for most visits.

I know it's bound to go up again, but I've got the next best thing to single payer right now, and frankly it's keeping me sane (mental and knee issues).

CNN posted massive profits in 2016 and was one of the leading news organizations (along with Fox) that spent a disproportionate time on the email scandal and negativity wrt/Clinton in general. Their creed was build on false equivalence and keeping the horse-race a race in the interests of ratings and money.

One billion dollars profit? Yes, the campaign has been a gusher for CNN
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/one-billion-dollars-profit-yes-the-campaign-has-been-a-gusher-for-cnn/2016/10/27/1fc879e6-9c6f-11e6-9980-50913d68eacb_story.html?utm_term=.7a6753fa0a97

Jeff Zucker’s singular role in promoting Donald Trump’s rise
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/jeff-zuckers-singular-role-in-promoting-donald-trumps-rise/2016/10/02/7c3d4366-865b-11e6-a3ef-f35afb41797f_story.html?utm_term=.b56ee605d74b

Jeff Zucker has no regrets
http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/jeff-zucker-cnn-no-regrets-229820

Whoops?

GAF called out CNN's behavior in December, and back then I was still under the faulty impression they did an admirable job in their political coverage and defended them at length. It's only recently that I've gained a deeper appreciation for how goddamn wrong I was after having reviewed post-mortems of 2016's election coverage across the networks.

So yeah, no (more) sympathy for CNN from me. They helped create this beast, a fact other posters accurately called months ago. At this point we are merely watching them flail at this monster they unleashed as it rampages across their laboratory before inevitably escaping to terrorize the helpless village below.

The bad news? We're the villagers.

Agreed completely. For me a huge veil was lifted shortly after the election. The media I trusted I could no longer trust, and not because they "said things I didn't like" or what have you, but because not only was the constant barrage of Trump-related media was being parroted completely unfiltered, but also because the media outlets doing it knew perfectly well this was poisoning the well and they didn't care.

"The media is not your friend" isn't too crazy a conclusion to draw, some would even say it's obvious, but for me that was the first time the sheer severity of that concept hit me in a very disturbing way.

mjp2417

Banned
Unless Putin feels like his gambit to get what he wanted from Trump will fail to materialize due to the climate, and the only remaining gain would be to dump their info and delegitimize the Presidency of the United States.

They probably do.

Then again, after all this shit comes out and everyone's analyzing his moves, do you really think Trump can do all that much to benefit Russia? Maybe it's better just to blow off the nukes and completely destabilize America like that. I mean if Trump goes down we don't just go back to normalcy after that.

Then again maybe letting him sit for like 4 years and then blowing off the proverbial nukes is the best approach.

Sure that's possible, but I don't think Russia's long term interest in Trump is purely about enacting foreign policy that will immediately and directly benefit Russia, as much as it is about letting Trump gradually erode the existing political alliances of the West and disrupting the existing geopolitical order. He can't do that if he is back hosting The Apprentice.

mo60

Something will happen, something has to. Hell BBC even said the guy they were talking to said there are videos and audio files. So i expect it will leak, probably Friday or so.

I fully expect him to be impeached this year.

Betting sites are increasing the chances of trump being impeached within a year now.

Lmao at those trump supporters in full denial mode. Since when do they care about things like facts and truth?

It's really hilarious seeing the hypocrisy in full display.

Them shouting and waving their arms about "FAKE NEWS" when the very same people were spreading bullshit about Hillary sex slave rings and Podesta is Satan incarnate with a straight face.

Mawnster

More like my bosses who yell at me, but yeah I understand it's difficult to make a similar effort online, but I think we could all make somewhat of an effort to engage with the other side that does not sound like sports talk radio.

Problem is, a friend might listen to you. In part because he doesn't want to get into a fight with you. A stranger, though? A stranger doesn't need to listen to you if he doesn't want to. If they don't like what you're saying, they won't listen to you no matter how polite you are. They'll keep adding bullshit on top of bullshit. Or they'll just insult you. Because they simply can. Don't get me wrong, it's petty... But it is what it is.

It's really hilarious seeing the hypocrisy in full display.

Them shouting and waving their arms about "FAKE NEWS" when the very same people were spreading bullshit about Hillary sex slave rings and Podesta is Satan incarnate with a straight face.
The worst is when you see people asking why #PizzaGate wasn't discussed more when "other fake news" like this is all over the place.

🤔

UberTag

I have learned this from some of my friends from HS. I grew up in a small town. Some of them have bought into some stupid shit.

You can't just get mad at them and shut them down and discount any of their ideas/information outright. then they do the same to you, even though their information is bad and they will continue being ignorant.

You have to sort of really dig in with them and work at where they are coming from and why they believe that, and how it doesn't make sense for them to believe that for their own self interests. You have to take some time to unravel the ignorance. If you just shout at them or make fun of them it just isolates them further into their shitty bubble.
I agree wholeheartedly that this is a tactic people should be employing with friends, colleagues and family. People with whom you have a vested interest in engaging beyond their wilfully ignorant political perspective.

It is NOT, however, a tactic people should feel compelled to employ on an online forum of discourse between anonymous strangers... especially for people who've publicly dismissed approaching issues from multiple perspectives and proudly wear their ignorance on their sleeve.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

The MI-6 agent who got the intel. Wall Street Journal dropped his name.

The person who came up with the intell stuff buzzfeed has

He also helped bring down the head of FIFA with corruption charges

Sorry the MI6 agent that provided the document got named by WSJ

Thanks guys.

Why in the world would the WSJ expose him? That seems pretty irresponsible.

He had to leave his place of residence?

Edit: I guess Murdoch IS that evil. SMH.

Opto

Banned
CNN is like a mercenary. They were propelling Trump up in the public eye with non-stop coverage, and that's pretty unforgivable. But, for now, they're going for Trump's throat. Yeah it's hypocritical, but by god if it doesn't feel a little good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom