• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your uncle calls you a Communist, then what's his opinion of Trump's good buddy, Vladimir Putin, and his 17 years (and counting) dominion over Russia?

?? Russia isn't communist and hasn't been for 25+ years. Its authoritarian, totalitarian, fascist, federal republic, federation, an oligarchy, or a plutocracy depending on your viewpoint. Western countries are more communist than Russia at this point.

Zophar

You can't impeach somebody for unproven allegations no matter how much most of us here would love to see Trump tossed out of office.

I don't know if impeachment is as possible as so much incrimination coming to light that Trump is pressured to step down.

digdug2k

I have a hard time seeing how this issue blows over at this point even if none of these claims are proven. This paints such a dark cloud over the Trump administration before it even starts. On top of that, going to war with CNN isn't going to do him any favors. This is a signal to the mainstream media regarding how Trump plans to act if they step out of line. I have to think the media is going to do everything they can to put him in his place if they can't take him down.

I also find it interesting how effective the Republican attack on the mainstream media has been over the past 20 years. Plenty of my friends and family think this story is a bunch of BS made up by butthurt biased news organizations.

Pretty crazy times we live in.
Yeah. That was probably the scariest thing I saw out of today (well... not the scariest, but scary). i.e. the President pretty openly threatening any of the press that write anything bad about him. Not new... but still scary. I'm glad CNN isn't doing a Ford and is standing up to it.

American military superiority and NATO will hardly disappear overnight.

But every progressive bill since FDR is gonna be in trouble.

I don't know if impeachment is as possible as so much incrimination coming to light that Trump is pressured to step down.

This is a guy who, on national TV, said he would not concede the election.

What do you think is gonna happen now that he is the PRESIDENT?

I mean, JUST TODAY he called his enemies Nazis.

ZOONAMI

The US may still be powerful, but its power will no longer be classified as a superpower. Trump will end the "American exceptionalism" of the 20th century.

Yeah... sure.

China will take decades to match our military tech and Russia is still a crumbled Cold War era joke.

Until china has actual an aircraft carrier group (like 5+ carriers) this is a unipolar world.

The US has 10 fucking super carriers and 9 smaller carriers.

China and Russia have 1 each. France has 1. The U.K. Is building a couple. India has a couple. Japan has some helicopter carriers. Australia has a couple. That's really about it.

They have no means to extend a global military presence.

Sure Russia has a ton of nukes but I doubt nearly as many of them are operational as they claim. They are Cold War relics.

It hopefully never comes to nukes, and if it does we're all fucked anyway so it doesn't really matter.

zethren

Banned
Maybe a stupid question, can impeaching him and finding him guilty of treason be two different things?

Yes. But if the impeachment is due to strong evidence of treason, it is unlikely that he wouldn't be found guilty of it as well.

Unless the republican congress fucks us all.

Like if everything ends in a positive fashion, the movies about this are just going to be insane. You even have a built-in ticking clock for dramatic tension, with the inauguration drawing near

The movies that will be made on this issue are going to be fucking bananas.

Sf8O78c.png

Writer Ken Bensinger (Joseph Gordon Levitt) sits at his desk in a cubicle farm, the name "Buzzfeed" visible on the wall behind him. While looking through his e-mail, he sees a new attachment saying "You'll want to see this." He takes a sip of coffee as he scrolls before his eyes bulge and he spits out the coffee.

[Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother starts playing]
vJbeFpx.gif

Bensinger runs into an office where Miriam Elder (Maya Rudolph) is talking to Mark Schoofs (Stanley Tucci), he's panicking and holding a freshly printed document.

Bensinger: Guys, guys! I think-... I think I have a story. About Trump.
Elder: Pfft. [Taking paper] Like anybody gives a... What the-...?!
[Jump cut to Schoofs reading it]
Schoofs: No, actually I agree. I agree with the "What the-..." [Waves his hand to imply the final unspoken word].
Elder: How does this happen?

EARLIER...

Jeb Bush (Will Ferrel): [Facing camera] Hi! I'm Jeb Bush, and I'd sure like to be your president.

Cut to:
Jeb looking disappointed in a dark room, talking to an advisor (Ben Schwartz).

Jeb: How is he beating us? I just don't get it.
[Shot of Donald Trump (Alec Baldwin) at a campaign rally]
Advisor: I thought you had an exclamation point at the end of your name! It's time to get to action!
Jeb: ... Yeah.
Advisor: Step up!
Jeb: YEAH!

Cut to:
Jeb is on a phone.

Jeb: Hey... Who would I talk to about.... Hiring a spy?

Cut to:
Christopher Steele (Liam Neeson) meets with Jeb in a car in a parking garage. He's very intense.

FROM ADAM MCKAY
DIRECTOR OF "THE BIG SHORT" and "ANCHORMAN"

Steele: What is it you want?
Jeb: Well, if you could just... Find something. Like, maybe he cheated on some taxes, or maybe he said something offensive.
Steele: I'll start in Russia.
Jeb: Russia?
Steele: Russia.
Jeb: Why... why would you start in Russia?
Steele: Everything bad usually happens in Russia.
Jeb: ... Oh. [Smirks] Hey. We're kind of like James Bond and M, huh. Yeah, I'm M and you're George Lazenby.
[Steele stares, stone-faced.]

LATER

[Jeb sits in his pajamas reading the paper when the phone rings.]
Jeb: [Answers] Y'ello.
Steele: This is Steele. I have your information. It's big.
Jeb: Oh. Oh! No, that's okay. I'm actually out of the race. You don't have to-...
[Pause]
Jeb: ... Like.... Number 1?

John McCain (Bill Murray) stares at a document.

John McCain: .... Ha... Hahaha!

[In a hotel suite]
Trump: How bad are we talking?
Agent 1(Jordan Peele): ... Moscow, a few years ago.
Trump: ... Ah...
Agent 2(Keegan-Michael Key): Prostitution. Blackmail... Uh...
Agent 1: Illicit business ties.
Agent 2: And...
Agent 1: And...
Agent 2: Pee.
Agent 1: Yeah, pee.
Agent 2: [Nods]
Agent 1: People are probably gonna really latch onto... the pee.
Trump: ... Uhh...

[In an office]
Kellyanne Conway (Kate McKinnon): This might not be so bad, if it comes out. You know, maybe we could spin it. Like... You're improving Russian relations.
Trump: And, hey. Maybe there was a fire in the hotel.
Conway: [Winces]
Trump: ... And there wasn't any water. Someone had to put the fire out!

THE RIDICULOUS TRUE STORY
OF THE CRAZIEST SCANDAL IN AMERICAN POLITICAL HISTORY

Putin (Steve Carrell): [Chuckles nervously]

Big montage of quick cuts of shenanigans and character's reactions as the music gets to the last "Joker and the Thief" chorus repetition. Music stops.

GOLDENGATE

Trump is at press conference at Trump Tower.
Trump: No. No. Not you. No. Your organization is terrible.

COMING SOON

At this point I think they could find no further evidence beyond these allegations and it will still be pretty damaging to his presidency. Everything is going to be so heavily scrutinized he's never going to seem trustworthy. And the story just seems to be getting worse and worse for him. I can see impeachment a real possibility. I thought his presidency was going to be pretty crazy but I never anticipated this level of crazy this fast. We still have more than a week until inauguration! I can't imagine what that will be like.

Of course, but given that this is a GOP-controlled Congress, the only thing that will likely get him impeached is literal treason.

Wait, so are there moderate Republicans in congress that would go for trying to put this through, or are we assuming everyone in congress on that side is sucking the potato's dick?

Cause I can see some Repubs just shutting up while this goes on because literally every one around them including their voter base is fucking insane.

NBtoaster

Penthouse has actually put up a one million dollar reward to anyone that will leak the tape.

It doesn't seem far fetched that an underpaid Russian operative or whoever maintains their archives would try to claim it someday. Probably too much heat now though.

Sf8O78c.png

Writer Ken Bensinger (Joseph Gordon Levitt) sits at his desk in a cubicle farm, the name "Buzzfeed" visible on the wall behind him. While looking through his e-mail, he sees a new attachment saying "You'll want to see this." He takes a sip of coffee as he scrolls before his eyes bulge and he spits out the coffee.

vJbeFpx.gif

Bensinger runs into an office where Miriam Elder (Maya Rudolph) is talking to Mark Schoofs (Stanley Tucci), he's panicking and holding a freshly printed document.

Schoofs: No, actually I agree. I agree with the "What the-..." [Waves his hand to imply the final unspoken word].

EARLIER...

Jeb Bush (Will Ferrel): [Facing camera] Hi! I'm Jeb Bush, and I'd sure like to be your president.

Cut to:

Advisor: I thought you had an exclamation point at the end of your name! It's time to get to action!

Cut to:
Jeb is on a phone.

Cut to:
Christopher Steele (Liam Neeson) meets with Jeb in a car in a parking garage. He's very intense.

FROM ADAM MCKAY

Jeb: Well, if you could just... Find something. Like, maybe he cheated on some taxes, or maybe he said something offensive.
Jeb: ... Oh. [Smirks] Hey. We're kind of like James Bond and M, huh. Yeah, I'm M and you're George Lazenby.

LATER

Jeb: Oh. Oh! No, that's okay. I'm actually out of the race. You don't have to-...
[Pause]

[In a hotel suite]

[In an office]
Kellyanne Conway (Kate McKinnon): This might not be so bad, if it comes out. You know, maybe we could spin it. Like... You're improving Russian relations.

Big montage of quick cuts of shenanigans and character's reactions as the music gets to the last "Joker and the Thief" chorus repetition. Music stops.

GOLDENGATE

COMING SOON
Goddammit I want to see this right now. Bravo.

ZOONAMI

Sf8O78c.png

vJbeFpx.gif

EARLIER...

Cut to:

Cut to:
Jeb is on a phone.

Cut to:

FROM ADAM MCKAY

LATER

[Pause]

[In a hotel suite]

[In an office]

GOLDENGATE

COMING SOON

This is pretty good.

Wait, so are there moderate Republicans in congress that would go for trying to put this through, or are we assuming everyone in congress on that side is sucking the potato's dick?

Cause I can see some Repubs just shutting up while this goes on because literally every one around them including their voter base is fucking insane.

If there is concrete proof of treason they will have to. McCain isn't up for re-election right now so he would grab his balls from the cupboard and go ham.

zethren

Banned
Sf8O78c.png

vJbeFpx.gif

EARLIER...

Cut to:

Cut to:
Jeb is on a phone.

Cut to:

FROM ADAM MCKAY

LATER

[Pause]

[In a hotel suite]

[In an office]

GOLDENGATE

COMING SOON

You, sir, are a goddamn treasure.

Sf8O78c.png

vJbeFpx.gif

EARLIER...

Cut to:

Cut to:
Jeb is on a phone.

Cut to:

FROM ADAM MCKAY

LATER

[Pause]

[In a hotel suite]

[In an office]

GOLDENGATE

COMING SOON

I would pay to see this.

SRG01

Sf8O78c.png

vJbeFpx.gif

EARLIER...

Cut to:

Cut to:
Jeb is on a phone.

Cut to:

FROM ADAM MCKAY

LATER

[Pause]

[In a hotel suite]

[In an office]

GOLDENGATE

COMING SOON

Post of the year.

mjp2417

Banned

If it becomes apparent that this is actually a treasonous offense, then yeah I would be pretty confident that there are enough Republicans that would be willing to jump ship and pursue impeachment. That's a long way away though, if it ever comes to pass.

mid83

At this point I think they could find no further evidence beyond these allegations and it will still be pretty damaging to his presidency. Everything is going to be so heavily scrutinized he's never going to seem trustworthy. And the story just seems to be getting worse and worse for him. I can see impeachment a real possibility. I thought his presidency was going to be pretty crazy but I never anticipated this level of crazy this fast. We still have more than a week until inauguration! I can't imagine what that will be like.

I'd honestly be surprised if we get actual hard evidence on this stuff unless there is some evidence that comes to light regarding a meeting between Russia and Trump officials or some sort of money trail.

Otherwise, we can't just walk into Russia and investigate this, so our hands are tied.

DavidDesu

The director of the US Office of Government Ethics has sharply criticised Donald Trump's plan to hand his global business empire to his sons before his inauguration on 20 January.

The plan does not match the "standards" of US presidents over the last 40 years, Walter Shaub said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38591754

Seems like yet another pretty big story. It's all ramping up right before his inauguration.. if it gets that far! Nothing would surprise me now.

Davide

If it becomes apparent that this is actually a treasonous offense, then yeah I would be pretty confident that there are enough Republicans that would be willing to jump ship and pursue impeachment.
Especially if it means Paul Ryan as president.

Haines

Banned
Idk.

I feel like wIth politics if isnt one big corrupt asshat, its another. Everyone acts so suprised at this stuff, but they are all fucked.

mjp2417

Banned
Especially if it means Paul Ryan as president.

Yeah, if they could nuke Trump and install Ryan without any blowback from their base they would do it day of inauguration even sans actionable evidence. It's a matter of calculating at what point immediate blowback from their base (who don't give a fuck about treason unless it involves a librul) is less politically costly than permanent damage to their party.

Idk.

I feel like wIth politics if isnt one big corrupt asshat, its another. Everyone acts so suprised at this stuff, but they are all fucked.
Treason is beyond corrupt. Don't compare politicians that take money from corporations to someone who wants to dismantle the free world.

Idk.

Everyone is aware of how dirty politics and politicians on both sides are.

This is another level. Trump isn't comparable to some dickheads like Alan Greyson or Louie Gohmert. We're talking treason here. You can be put to death for treason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom