• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

If Trump is revealed as a traitor backed by Russia, the GoP impeaches him and says, "we did what the Dems couldn't -stop Russia! They laughed when Mitt said they were the no. 1 threat!" GoP popularity smashes through the roof.

No there popularity would drop a bit because they let a person influenced by russia into the white house.

If Trump is revealed as a traitor backed by Russia, the GoP impeaches him and says, "we did what the Dems couldn't -stop Russia! They laughed when Mitt said they were the no. 1 threat!" GoP popularity smashes through the roof.

That's not going to work when they tolerated putting this dude in the White House and spent the months after the election writing off the hack as Dems being sore losers.

17921225.gif

Burn it all down, damnit!

Kusagari

The problem for the GOP right now is that without Trump's base they can't win anything. They need his cult to be a national party.

That's the threat of trying to oust their Orange Savior and having it devolve into a party civil war.

Mark L

Real Talk: How many times are we gonna do this to ourselves? How many times are we gonna hide from reality and pretend this presidency isn't gonna happen? Because it's real, it's happening, and it isn't going away. I'm not going to pretend I have any answers or any ways to make things better. I don't think there ARE any ways to make things better. But I'm tired of living in a dreamworld.

IrishNinja

Either way you reduce its reach and access and its ability to obfuscate as a result. Every basis point in difference matters.

It's good to see FB doing something about it but will they cave again in another election season? The pathetic way they gave in and stop the moderation in the first place opened the floodgates. All far too late now.

i see your point, but for all the goodwill stuff zuckerberg did, he's not letting thiel or even palmer go anywhere, so i think his intentions on stuff like this are petty clear - he's gonna cave when he looks at that potential spike in traffic, consequences be damned

The senate just came out of a closed door meeting on the hack. A senator from Illinois just said

"I thought it was terrible but its even worse"

damn

Yeesh, reading Sen. Durbin's Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/SenatorDurbin

Congress must get serious about Russia’s years-long efforts to attack and control America

Russia's actions aren’t merely annoying scams or disinformation—the threats are real, dangerous, and undermine Western democracy & allies. Let me list several examples—thanks to @NBCNews for helping to publicly document:

2007, Estonia: Russia disabled Estonia’s internet with a particular focus on government offices and financial institutions

2008, Lithuania: When the Lithuanian gov't banned the display of Soviet symbols, Russian hackers defaced gov't web pages with hammer&sickles

2008, Georgia: Russian hackers shut down Georgia’s internal communications to coincide with a military seizure of Georgian territory

2009, Kazakhstan: After Kazakh media published a statement by Kazakh pres criticizing Russia, Russian-attributed attack shut down their site

2014, Ukraine: Russia-based hackers disabled Ukraine's election commission&reportedly tried to rig results in favor of pro-Russian candidate

2015, Germany: Russian hackers accessed the computer network of the Ger. Bundestag&attempted to hack the computers of Ch. Merkel’s CDU Party

2015, Netherlands: Russia tried to hack into Dutch government computers to remove a report about the downed Malaysian airliner over Ukraine

2016, Finland: A security firm announced it believes Russian hackers were behind attacks on Finland’s Foreign Ministry several years before

And the list goes on. What's more important to the party of Reagan—a serious national security threat or slashing health care from millions?

We need a Select Cmte or special commission to investigate these troubling allegations about Russia's ability to compromise our Pres–elect

I don't know why they just don't call Putin's bluff and call him the terrorist/war criminal like he is.

Except GOP are the ones who couldn't stop him in their primaries.

No one did any opposition research on him except Bush and even then I don't recall any of it going public then.

I think that they thought at the time that there was no way their base was THAT gullible.

But I guess they also forgot about the massive gutting of education they have done to their base, so there's that.

Boke1879

Here's a source, CNN's Jim Sciutto:

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/819650338571616256

Key word: Hacking. Not #GoldenShowers.

Donald needs to stop playing this fucking coy ass attitude when it comes to Russia and the hacking.

If both the House and Senate and the intelligence communities all come out and say this and he's still acting like it could be anyone. I have every reason to believe Russia has something on Trump.

I don't know why they just don't call Putin's bluff and call him the terrorist/war criminal like he is.

Calling the head of state of a nuclear power a terrorist or war criminal is pretty much tantamount to calling for war.

The problem for the GOP right now is that without Trump's base they can't win anything. They need his cult to be a national party.

That's the threat of trying to oust their Orange Savior and having it devolve into a party civil war.

Or an actual factual civil war.

Holy shit, Republicans are beginning to wake up. You know what's great for helping to beat Russia? A healthy population. I'm just saying GOP, you know what to do...

Edit: Didn't know he was a Democrat, my bad, but his call could serve as a nice wakeup.

Morts

The Durbin comments just sound like finally taking hacking seriously and not anything that would implicate Trump in anything. Don't get carried away.

Ewo

Real Talk: How many times are we gonna do this to ourselves? How many times are we gonna hide from reality and pretend this presidency isn't gonna happen? Because it's real, it's happening, and it isn't going away. I'm not going to pretend I have any answers or any ways to make things better. I don't think there ARE any ways to make things better. But I'm tired of living in a dreamworld.

I'm sick of tired of this opinion I've seen everywhere that anything against Trump is desperation with trying to overturn the election. People are treating it like it's an argument but it's not.

This is a serious matter of national security and I want to see it treated as such. If this is looked into and Trump is found completely not guilty, good. I don't like Trump, but it's much more important to know that Russia isn't controlling our executive branch.

KHarvey16

If specific allegations in the report are true he will not remain president.

Roi

Interesting that the BBC is reporting that there are multiple tapes. Didn't read that elsewhere.

Later, I used an intermediary to pass some questions to active duty CIA officers dealing with the case file - they would not speak to me directly. I got a message back that there was "more than one tape", "audio and video", on "more than one date", in "more than one place" - in the Ritz-Carlton in Moscow and also in St Petersburg - and that the material was "of a sexual nature".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38589427

I wonder if defeated liberals said this in 1973 about Nixon as Watergate broke.

Mark L

I'm sick of tired of this opinion I've seen everywhere that anything against Trump is desperation with trying to overturn the election. People are treating it like it's an argument but it's not.

This is a serious matter of national security and I want to see it treated as such. If this is looked into and Trump is found completely not guilty, good. I don't like Trump, but it's much more important to know that Russia isn't controlling our executive branch.

This is a comment that is no longer appropriate for the world we are living in. There may have been a time when politicians held higher concerns than partisanship, but that time is done.

Yes, I will say it outright- I believe that partisanship, particularly among the party that controls Congress, ranks higher than the executive being the pawn of a foreign power. Consequently, no matter what is revealed, Trump Will. Not. Be. Removed.

I have already placed my ban bet on it above. If I'm wrong, hey, awesome. But I'm not wrong. In your heart you know it, too.

Russia has invaded sovereign territory, occupied it and claimed it for themselves.

Russia has made many acts of war.

Russia can't afford a war, they'd have to back the fuck down.

They can afford to launch nukes.

MAD only works when both parties are sane and rational actors.

There isn't gonna be a civil war. People are to easily distracted, they'll move onto something else.

The people who were willing to commit violence at Trump rallies will absolutely not forget and will call for violence and overthrow in a serious way.

avaya

This is a comment that is no longer appropriate for the world we are living in. There may have been a time when politicians held higher concerns that partisanship, but that time is done.

Yes, I will say it outright- I believe that partisanship, particularly among the party that controls Congress, ranks higher than the executive being the pawn of a foreign power. Consequently, no matter what is revealed, Trump Will. Not. Be. Removed.

I have already placed my ban bet on it above. If I'm wrong, hey, awesome. But I'm not wrong. In your heart you know it, too.

I unfortunately agree with you. The GOP is beyond saving in any way, its comically evil.

Holy shit, Republicans are beginning to wake up. You know what's great for helping to beat Russia? A healthy population. I'm just saying GOP, you know what to do...

Edit: Didn't know he was a Democrat, my bad, but his call could serve as a nice wakeup.

Durbin is a highly respected Senator, even by a lot of his GOP colleagues. I guarantee you a lot of them privately share his concerns.

avaya

They can afford to launch nukes.

MAD only works when both parties are sane and rational actors.

Putin is scared of Mikhail Fridman according to that dossier because Fridman has dirt on him. He is not an irrational actor.

Russia is not an irrational actor. However the Russian's have been in a de facto state of cold war with the West since Putin came back to power.

KHarvey16

This is a comment that is no longer appropriate for the world we are living in. There may have been a time when politicians held higher concerns than partisanship, but that time is done.

You're confusing cynicism for wisdom.

Let me know once you get past the anger stage of grief and maybe we can commiserate together.

Nah I pretty much want to stab everybody with farming tools 24/7 so that's not happening

PS I don't really care about your ban bet because you barely exist as a concept to me anyways

Sure they will, but civil war? That's so far beyond even a few thousand armed and angry Trump supporters, not to mention them being spread across the country.

The military leans conservative and recruits from the same poor Rust Belt states that are Tea Party controlled. If you think there isn't a violent element within that group that will necessitate a calling of the National Guard if enough of them think his removal from office is illegitimate, then you haven't been paying attention.

This is their cheeto jesus, and they project themselves onto him. Removing him for treason would be, in their minds, calling them treasonous as well, and they will react as such.

Ewo

This is a comment that is no longer appropriate for the world we are living in. There may have been a time when politicians held higher concerns that partisanship, but that time is done.

I don't really agree with anything you've said in this post, but it's not worth arguing about because it's all speculation.

Please don't assume everyone else thinks the way you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom