• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtyle

I think what he/she is trying to say is that this defeat, while shitty, isn't the end - in 4 years y'all can vote him out, and with a 37% approval rating before he enters the office he isn't likely to win re-election, especially as it seems he's provoking trade wars left and right. A recession is probable, a war is possible, but you'll have the chance again in 2 years and certainly in 4 to limit his powers. Be energized to volunteer and organize local groups, and to show up in 2018 and 2020. He's not a good candidate - people just hated Clinton that much (somehow)

I think people are just concerned that in 4 years, the world will be a much different place than we are used to living now. I mean Trump's movement on Russia relationship, NATO, trade, Mexico and all that shit very likely will change the U.S into something very different than what it is now. But I guess we will just have to take it up the ass and wait that 4 years. But even so, with all these alt-right nuts out there, plus the GOP changing the voting landscape, we aren't guaranteed a win for next round even if Trump tanks hard.

Davide

It's amazing that in the face of all the allegations and investigations into Trump being a traitor, he is still so clearly making motions to do what Putin wants.

People here were saying Trump won't undo sanctions because it would look bad, when has Trump ever cared about looking bad?

It's amazing that in the face of all the allegations and investigations into Trump being a traitor, he is still so clearly making motions to do what Putin wants.

Remember when 24 actually had surprises? This has been telegraphed since at least hour 3.

commedieu

Banned
People here were saying Trump won't undo sanctions because it would look bad, when has Trump ever cared about looking bad?

Most, thinking critically about him, knew that day one. A lot of people here were pretending Obama just scored some amazing 5d chess move on him, forcing him to not look like a Russian stooge..

He doesn't care, and neither does his base.

RCSI

He really doesn't want Russia to release those videos

I don't think it's the videos he's afraid of, but his financial outreach across the world. Has not released his tax returns, no word yet on blind trust divestment. Really, he does not want to give up his financial empire and the first way to do that is shield information that will hurt him that could take that away.

mo60

15% of Democrats is way too high. Wtf?

You know what? This is probably what it is.

Bush had a way higher amount of democrats supporting his transitino to the presidency. I think the same was true for his father. Actually it's only 10% of democrats that support the way trump is handling his presidency so far. I was getting confused with that gallup poll which showed closer to 15% of democrats approving of the job trump is doing right now. More people like Melania Trump compared to Donald Trump.

I don't think it's the videos he's afraid of, but his financial outreach across the world. Has not released his tax returns, no word yet on blind trust divestment. Really, he does not want to give up his financial empire and the first way to do that is shield information that will hurt him that could take that away.

Well luckily with the investigation, the intelligence agencies can get his taxes now if they didn't already have them.

Xtyle

Well luckily with the investigation, the intelligence agencies can get his taxes now if they didn't already have them.

Only the Senate Intelligence Committee has the subpoena power to get the tax return though, right? Not sure other IC agencies got that.

Only the Senate Intelligence Committee has the subpoena power to get the tax return though, right? Not sure other IC agencies got that.

I believe the intelligence agencies brief the committee on their findings. Not sure what would be required to get his taxes though.

Trump can't undo them without utterly playing into the narrative that he is an agent/asset of Russia. It's probable the powers that be want him to do this so that can possibly incriminate himself in the process.

It's all well and good winning an election, but the orange turd has to play the game of politics now. Something that Obama is a pro at. Trump is way out of his depth.

mid83

Been busy the last 48 hours. Any new developments since the Senate announced an investigation and all the talk about Flynn's phone calls in December?

Xtyle

Trump can't undo them without utterly playing into the narrative that he is an agent/asset of Russia. It's probable the powers that be want him to do this so that can possibly incriminate himself in the process.

It's all well and good winning an election, but the orange turd has to play the game of politics now. Something that Obama is a pro at. Trump is way out of his depth.

Thing is, what if he doesn't? There is no political or legal powers to stop him. And based on his recent interviews and tweets I am getting the feeling he's just gonna do it anyway.

commedieu

Banned
Thing is, what if he doesn't? There is no political or legal powers to stop him. And based on his recent interviews and tweets I am getting the feeling he's just gonna do it anyway.

Exactly. He literally said putin was smart for his response to the sanctions of our gov. He crafts the message to his subjects. He isn't anti russian, he's pro peace and unity for Russia and usa.

UberTag

I think what he/she is trying to say is that this defeat, while shitty, isn't the end - in 4 years y'all can vote him out, and with a 37% approval rating before he enters the office he isn't likely to win re-election, especially as it seems he's provoking trade wars left and right. A recession is probable, a war is possible, but you'll have the chance again in 2 years and certainly in 4 to limit his powers. Be energized to volunteer and organize local groups, and to show up in 2018 and 2020. He's not a good candidate - people just hated Clinton that much (somehow)
Who's to say with the new libel laws Trump introduces to control the media message via Breitbart and LifeZette (while castrating the mainstream options) and with his moles infesting themselves at all levels of the IC and his hacker friends in Russia that he can't make the next Democratic rivals that step up even more reviled than Hillary.

Hell, he's got legions on Twitter raging against John Lewis on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. Just wait until his web of influence has some actual teeth backing it up.

Avixph

Who's to say with the new libel laws Trump introduces to control the media message via Breitbart and LifeZette (while castrating the mainstream options) and with his moles infesting themselves at all levels of the IC and his hacker friends in Russia that he can't make the next Democratic rivals that step up even more reviled than Hillary.

Hell, he's got legions on Twitter raging against John Lewis on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. Just wait until his web of influence has some actual teeth backing it up.
That's frightening.

A few people have been throwing around poll numbers in here without citing the sources.

Just for clarification, the "44%" number that was mentioned is the Gallop Transition approval number for Trump. 44% of the public approve of Trump's transition while 51% disapprove.

The "37% number is from a Quinnipiac University poll, which is Trump's overall favorability number. He has a favorability of 37% while 51% disapprove.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-trump-barack-obama-quinnipiac-poll/96397974/

UberTag

The "37% number is from a Quinnipiac University poll, which is Trump's overall favorability number. He has a favorability of 37% while 51% disapprove.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-trump-barack-obama-quinnipiac-poll/96397974/
Only 1 out of every 2 Americans disapproves of Donald Trump's behavior and how he's conducted himself. How nice!
Why if there was a war his approval rating would probably skyrocket into the 70s.
Let's hope one doesn't break out.

Guy.brush

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Only 1 out of every 2 Americans disapproves of Donald Trump's behavior and how he's conducted himself. How nice!
Why if there was a war his approval rating would probably skyrocket into the 70s.
Let's hope one doesn't break out.
So strange. President gets country in to a war, and it means people like him more.

Backwards.

We should not forget that the reason why Trump goes on and on that sanctions gonna be lifted asap is that Putin is basically running out of money in 2017. Even the emergency fund is pretty much drained.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276417

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/774245316988137472

Didn't think of that angle but that puts a lot of perspective in this.

Also:

Firebrand

Seems insane that Trump's gonna be allowed to sit his orange ass down in the oval office this week with all of this going on. Seems like a huge risk to national security.

Hypothetically speaking, does any branch of the US government hold emergency powers to delay an inauguration?

Grug

Seems insane that Trump's gonna be allowed to sit his orange ass down in the oval office this week with all of this going on. Seems like a huge risk to national security.

Hypothetically speaking, does any branch of the US government hold emergency powers to delay an inauguration?

It's prescribed in the constitution so I imagine only the Supreme Court would have any small leeway to intervene if someone presented a good enough case for an injunction.

Ms.Galaxy

Five days America. You sure about this?

We're not, but meh, we gotta respect democracy because reasons. Our only prevention of a fascist was the electoral college, and it failed to do it's job, so nothing we can do now. Best we can hope now is that he gets impeached, not holding my breath on that until 2018 and even then...

Do you understand the concept of democracy?

The election process has spoken.

Yeah it spoken alright, it said fuck the voters and failed to do its job to prevent demagogues from gaining power. As a system, it failed to do what it was meant to do and it failed the people in general. Everything about this election was a sham, but meh, too late now.

There should in no way be a delay in the inauguration. If Congress wants to remove him once he is in office they have an avenue to do so.

Pbae

So I was discussing with a friend the Wednesday Trump press conference and one thing that stood out between both of us was where he lambasted the 'fake' news and said his team was going to get to the bottom of it in 90 days.

That 90 days part was interesting because it coincided with the end of the initial sanctions on Russia and it was such a specific amount of time to refute your naysayers.

Obama extended the sanctions some time after the presser right? Asking since I'm on mobile.

drspeedy

Five days America. You sure about this?

I read a good article on this...basically everyone who is disparaging this guy's chances for a full term/impeachment are making things worse. Fighting over the cabinet nominees or his Twitter outburts only prove he can manipulate the conversation away from what the real issue is - he's a loudmouth TV star that ensured he'll be famous forever, and that's all he really wanted. The rest is gravy. He's got enough machine around him to keep going for 8 years, weather scandals and deny any poor policy mistakes all along the way.

Damn near half the country voted him in, and they will overlook anything said or done that's inconsistent with their views because he's "not Obama".

Getting rid of him will be nearly impossible. Dems now have to start preparing plans to fix everything day one at the end of his term, that's the sad truth.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stop-underestimating-trump-2017-1

I don't think he can do that. At least, not easily. Remember that Hillary wasn't exactly liked by everybody before she became Trump's main opponent.

The EMAILS fiasco felt so believable for people because with the baggage she already had, it felt like something she could very much have been responsible for. Trump pretty much just took advantage of that.

If the next Dem rival is somebody super popular without any of that crap going in, I don't think any amount of fake news could slow him/her down.

I read a good article on this...basically everyone who is disparaging this guy's chances for a full term/impeachment are making things worse. Fighting over the cabinet nominees or his Twitter outburts only prove he can manipulate the conversation away from what the real issue is - he's a loudmouth TV star that ensured he'll be famous forever, and that's all he really wanted. The rest is gravy. He's got enough machine around him to keep going for 8 years, weather scandals and deny any poor policy mistakes all along the way.

Damn near half the country voted him in, and they will overlook anything said or done that's inconsistent with their views because he's "not Obama".

Getting rid of him will be nearly impossible. Dems now have to start preparing plans to fix everything day one at the end of his term, that's the sad truth.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stop-underestimating-trump-2017-1

Nowhere near half the nation voted for Trump. A little less than half of people that voted, voted for Trump but that is nowhere near half the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom