• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
C12vV4iUQAAXrKS.jpg

Lovely Touch on making the water Piss Yellow

Adaren

Want to be more shocked? See the whole picture.

7NtizGW.jpg

And before anyone asks, yes, that was on the Jumbotron. You can look up the videos.

The Gettyimages logo is just in a bad spot.

You guys do know saying she was doing the nazi salute is as dumb as about 99% of the stuff posted on The_Donald?

It's not dumb; it's accurate. No one waves like that. No one. Quarter turn and throw your arm out straight across your body while holding your eyes to the sky? Give me a fucking break.

What's dumb is the "Wow SJWs see Nazi salutes in everything lolol pc culture" counter argument.

But yeah, not the point of this thread.

NYR

It would only be dumb if it weren't the Nazi salute.

It is.
Give me a fucking break, so someone was brazen enough to nazi salute in front of the world and then deny it vehemently after? Horseshit. If it were real, she would have been proud and bragged.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So basically you have an unclassified oppo research report that was given to more than one journalist before the election but many chose not pursue due to the claims being impossible to verify and now CNN and BF are running with it because...why? Is there new evidence available that backs up the accusations?

This ignores the McCain and intelligence agency aspect of the story, and why would Trump plant such a damaging story just to deflect away from Obama's farewell speech? Even if it's proven false, this shit is going to circulate around the web forever in one form or another, especially the piss stuff.

HE's not insinuating that it's a plant, christ, get your head out of the conspiracy theory gutter.

kirblar

You guys do know saying she was doing the nazi salute is as dumb as about 99% of the stuff posted on The_Donald?
Steve Bannon is going to be in the White House yet you refuse to believe one of Trump Supporters would throw out an "easily denied" Nazi symbol?

It isn't.

It is as dumb if later they say "no it wasn't a nazi salute, we 100% condemn nazis". It isn't dumb when they just shrug and say "Hillary emails" and then appoint sympathisers.

Dipper145

I hope this stuff is true just because of how crazy it all is. Also, not a fan of Trump for a multitude of reasons.

Results of story would likely bring legal action against BuzzFeed if they're not corroborated. IF they're not corroborated, it's a huge risk for progressive (fair) minded journalists... It will protect Trump against future allegations of wrong doing.
[/list]
If they aren't confirmed by sources isn't that more of a risk to journalists publishing false information? How is it progressive journalism to publish stuff that isn't backed up sources? That sounds more like just making stuff up and posting it to a website to me.

I'm also not sure that progressive journalism can always be accurately described as fair minded journalism.

dankir

Is anything going to happen as a result? I mean the man has done and said awful things already, the public knew about it and still voted him in.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I like Jonah Goldberg's very level headed appraisal of the situation:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/443745/trump-compromised

Goldberg writes for the conservative National Review, but he's been an ardent Trump opponent and has become an enemy of the alt-right over the last 18 months. I feel like everything he's written is how I feel:

1. Probably too good to be true
  2. Buzzfeed publishing the report without confirming is sketchy on the journalism scale
  3. Trump is somehow stealing the news spotlight from Obama, delivering his farewell address
  4. If Trump cancels his scheduled press conference tomorrow he's going to look REALLY bad, but if he holds the press conference, it could be BRUTAL
  5. He links to a legal blog which has very good points about how this information can be corroborated or not: https://lawfareblog.com/about-explosive-trump-story-take-deep-breath
  6. Results of story would likely bring legal action against BuzzFeed if they're not corroborated. IF they're not corroborated, it's a huge risk for progressive (fair) minded journalists... It will protect Trump against future allegations of wrong doing.

I think this is an important thing to highlight as well.

Finally, fifth, it is important to emphasize that this is not a case of the intelligence community leaking sensitive information about an investigative subject out of revenge or any other improper motive. This type of information, referencing sensitive sources and methods and the identities of U.S. persons, is typically treated by the intelligence community with the utmost care. And this material, in fact, does not come from the intelligence community; it comes, rather, from private intelligence documents put together by a company. It is actually not even classified.

KHarvey16

Why? Isn't he implying that Fisa thought claims against Trump were not credible, so they wouldn't rubberstamp?

Reportedly credibility was not the issue, just the scope. The Guardian is reporting that it appears a warrant or warrants were issued once they tightened it up as far as who they were watching.

So basically you have an unclassified oppo research report that was given to more than one journalist before the election but many chose not pursue due to the claims being impossible to verify and now CNN and BF are running with it because...why? Is there new evidence available that backs up the accusations?

The CIA/FBI presented the attempt to compromise DT to Obama and Trump as something they were looking at. Also McCain did his own digging and pressed the matter in the past month.

slit

Is anything going to happen as a result? I mean the man has done and said awful things already, the public knew about it and still voted him in.

Yes, because there is potential criminality involved. I want to stress only if most of it is true though and can be proven.

CNN were able to confirm that the FBI/CIA found it credible enough to include a 2 page summary in the briefing given to Obama and Trump.

Haruko

Okay, I can't be reading this right. Is this saying that they aren't disputing the meeting with Russian agents, just the place...?

He's pointing out that it's odd for Trump/Cohen to be disputing only this part of the report directly (so far), based on the location, given that it's one of the lowest-confidence parts of the report (the exact location of the meeting)

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I'm not doubting the report, but can someone enlighten me as to why Russia has been seemingly arranging compromising events and monitoring Trump since at least 2011, as per the report? What was their interest, as I don't recall Trump having any political ambitions. Further, the idea that Trump could be any serious political player at that time would surely have seemed ridiculous, even to the Russians, so why would they go to such effort to assist/obtain compromising stuff on him?

I don't get it.

Because he's a rich businessman. If you research Russia honeypot videos, you will see that Russia is known for creating files of compromising material on all sorts of people to have and use as blackmail if needed. Sometimes I'm sure it goes unused, sometimes it's like this and by 2015 and he's running for President you already have 4 years of stuff on him.

Give me a fucking break, so someone was brazen enough to nazi salute in front of the world and then deny it vehemently after? Horseshit. If it were real, she would have been proud and bragged.

Have any of the public racist Trump supporters admitted they're racist

I'll save you the trouble of searching 20 pages of Google in vain for something you're clinging to. The answer is no. They have no problem saying they hate black people or Jewish people or gay people or women, but once you put a label to it they swear they're not that label. It's flat out despicable to keep doing this "they're misunderstood" gimmick

HariKari

This ignores the McCain and intelligence agency aspect of the story, and why would Trump plant such a damaging story just to deflect away from Obama's farewell speech? Even if it's proven false, this shit is going to circulate around the web forever in one form or another, especially the piss stuff.

If it's dismissed and proven false, it will provide him with more cover. That's the entire point of a plant - it's fake and it discredits. That's something the FSB/Russia would definitely try.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Cohen says he was in Italy in July.

https://twitter.com/RosieGray/status/818994906945519616

So he was in Europe this summer.

Interesting that he's changed his story already:

https://mic.com/articles/165050/mic...s-claims-about-trump-golden-shower#.6P2YNtJCk

The Trump loyalist said he was in Los Angeles celebrating his 50th birthday with his wife and son during the late summer timeframe when the document claimed he was supposedly hobnobbing with the Russians at a secret meeting overseas.

I guess someone clued him up on the EU passport situation, between the two comments.

The guy is fucked, reading the article he doesn't even realise what has been leaked yet despite his comments.

Fucked, Capital F

Because he's a rich businessman. If you research Russia honeypot videos, you will see that Russia is known for creating files of compromising material on all sorts of people to have and use as blackmail if needed. Sometimes I'm sure it goes unused, sometimes it's like this and by 2015 and he's running for President you already have 4 years of stuff on him.

SO THIS IS WHY EVERYBODY IN RUSSIA HAS A DASH CAM

NotLiquid

Why? Isn't he implying that Fisa thought claims against Trump were not credible, so they wouldn't rubberstamp?

Pretty sure he's drawing more attention to the fact that this is an investigation they actually blocked despite having a 99.9% approval rating the past three decades.

I hope this stuff is true just because of how crazy it all is. Also, not a fan of Trump for a multitude of reasons.

If they aren't confirmed by sources isn't that more of a risk to journalists publishing false information? How is it progressive journalism to publish stuff that isn't backed up sources? That sounds more like just making stuff up and posting it to a website to me.

I'm also not sure that progressive journalism can always be accurately described as fair minded journalism.

Yeah, it's a massive risk. Like others have mentioned, other news agencies had seen the report over the last several weeks, even prior to the election, but avoided running stories on it because it wasn't strong. The Lawblog in the same article I linked (And I can't stand behind the other content on that site, never visited it before, but they seemed pretty well reasoned and researched)

We have had the document for a couple of weeks and have chosen, as have lots of other publications, not to publish it while the allegations within it remain unproven. In response to CNN's report, however, Buzzfeed has now released the underlying document itself, which is available here.

Whether or not its release is defensible in light of the CNN story, it is now important to emphasize several points.

First, we have no idea if any of these allegations are true. Yes, they are explosive; they are also entirely unsubstantiated, at least to our knowledge, at this stage. For this reason, even now, we are not going to discuss the specific allegations within the document.

All of which is to say to everyone: slow down, and take a deep breath. We shouldn't assume either that this is simply a ”fake news" episode directed at discrediting Trump or that the dam has now broken and the truth is coming out at last. We don't know what the reality is here, and the better part of valor is not to get ahead ahead of the facts—a matter on which, incidentally, the press deserves a lot of credit.

MOre at the link.

Nafai1123

Banned

I think he's implying that credibility historically hasn't mattered much for them to rubberstamp, so it's interesting they would've refused to rubberstamp Trump investigation.

McCain heading in these documents, and the intelligence community has briefed Obama and Trump on it, as they've done research to see the source has a credible history. It's also very possible that Comey has been sitting on this since October, since it was requested that he reveal documents about ties between Russia and Trump, but he denied to.

HE's not insinuating that it's a plant, christ, get your head out of the conspiracy theory gutter.

?

And yet, nothing I said was wrong?

Ac30

I like Jonah Goldberg's very level headed appraisal of the situation:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/443745/trump-compromised

Goldberg writes for the conservative National Review, but he's been an ardent Trump opponent and has become an enemy of the alt-right over the last 18 months. I feel like everything he's written is how I feel:

1. Probably too good to be true
  2. Buzzfeed publishing the report without confirming is sketchy on the journalism scale
  3. Trump is somehow stealing the news spotlight from Obama, delivering his farewell address
  4. If Trump cancels his scheduled press conference tomorrow he's going to look REALLY bad, but if he holds the press conference, it could be BRUTAL
  5. He links to a legal blog which has very good points about how this information can be corroborated or not: https://lawfareblog.com/about-explosive-trump-story-take-deep-breath
  6. Results of story would likely bring legal action against BuzzFeed if they're not corroborated. IF they're not corroborated, it's a huge risk for progressive (fair) minded journalists... It will protect Trump against future allegations of wrong doing.

BuzzFeed posting this without corroboration was stupid - if it's found to be fake, it just makes all future allegations seem bullshit too, as he said :/

BriGuy

Hopefully, if true. If they don't, then this justice system is completely brain-dead.
Either way, the Republicans are tied to it forever. No more evoking "the party of Reagan." They're the party of the crass, ignorant, racist, lying, fascist, Russian backing and Russian backed piss fetishist now.

Lifeline

According to the Seth Myers clip the report was clipped onto the end of Trump's intelligence report, so he never saw it. CIA probably had a giggle with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom