• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Every single day, I get more and more pissed at the way Obama and Candy Crowell laughed at Romney for stating that Russia was America's biggest geopolitical foe.

That condescending laugh, with the follow up comments of "The cold war is over, governer" bother the shit out of me. I would never have voted for Romney back then, but he was prescient enough to see the shitstorm coming. He tried to keep Trump out of office, as well, but the American Public and the Democratic Party are too fucking stupid and/or full of themselves to have prevented a verifiable liar, sociopath, bigoted, sexist, xenophobe from winning the white house. WTF!
The Russians managed to hack some DNC emails via low-grade phishing which still didn't end up offering anything of any real scandalous merit against the Democratic candidate, and they might have also allegedly compromised one or more unscrupulous American businessmen, one of whom ran for president but shouldn't have had any business actually winning the presidency if our political system was working anywhere near as effective as intended and if one of our major political parties hadn't spent the better part of the last 30-40 yrs cultivating a base of willfully ignorant racists, bigots and xenophobes.

Our geopolitical foes ain't got nothing on our own ability to self-inflict harm. We have become our own biggest geopolitical foe.

I mean basically what I wanted to know is if Trump were to be arrested, who arrests him?

Technically nobody can. He has to be impeached by the House and then convicted by the Senate. Then he can be arrested by The Senate Sargent at Arms--which would be Frank J. Larkin. If he resigns before that happens then I imagine the FBI or US Marshals?

Tahnit

Banned
Wait, so let's say this was all completely true and proven. We couldn't do shit because the GOP likely wouldn't impeach Trump?

if all this is proven true it would be political suicide NOT to impeach trump and distance themselves from anything Trump or his campaign has done. This means pence, and anyone trump had appointed would come into serious question.

If this comes to be true we are looking at a scandal bigger than watergate. This would be HUGE and devastating.

Nydius

Wait, so let's say this was all completely true and proven. We couldn't do shit because the GOP likely wouldn't impeach Trump?

Depends on how much he annoys Congressional GOP members. Most of them are only playing nice with him because he won. A lot don't like him and I'd speculate many would be quite happy to have a President Pence rather than a President Trump. They'd just need enough proof to get to that point without risking too much voter backlash.

If it was completely true and absolutely proven with video evidence, my guess is they probably would have impeachment trials because his approval ratings would sink lower than they are now (which are not good).

Trouble

Banned
if all this is proven true it would be political suicide NOT to impeach trump and distance themselves from anything Trump or his campaign has done. This means pence, and anyone trump had appointed would come into serious question.

If this comes to be true we are looking at a scandal bigger than watergate. This would be HUGE and devastating.

Yep, if it ends up being proven that Trump was actively working with Russian Intelligence say hello to President Ryan.

Guys, Trump can't be arrested for treason. As I understand it, no one can be arrested or tried for treason as long as we're not at war with another nation; formally declared war by congress. That's why no one has been tried for treason since WW2 (or people who were caught afterward who committed treason during the war), because we haven't been formally at war since then. If they get Trump for any ties with Russia, it'll likely be for violating the Logan Act. It's a felony, but Trump wouldn't be sentenced to death over it. Actually, no one has ever even been prosecuted for violating it before, so who knows what would happen.

Wrong.

Alright, let me just explain quickly the legal aspect of this. First off, pretty much no one gets tried for treason in the U.S. Why? It's one of the few crimes specifically stated in the Constitution and its definition is strict:

United States Constitution said:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

As you can see that is an incredibly hard standard of proof to me, especially the two witnesses part. Instead, what most people are likely thinking of is Espionage. We have various statutes that deal with the crime of espionage including the Espionage Act of 1917. Of course, when it comes to a sitting President none of this really matters because a criminal proceeding against a President doesn't necessarily remove them from office, that's what impeachment is for.

Now, when it comes to impeaching a sitting U.S. President (or any federal official) the Constitution is pretty vague:

United States Constiution said:
The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

The key word in this section is "high crimes and misdemeanors." These words were a term of art in the 18th Century and must be taken together, the thing is nobody has any real clue what they mean. As a result, a President can be impeached for pretty much anything, all it requires is the political will of Congress to initiated the proceeding. That is how Pres. Clinton got proceedings initiated against him for simply lying about a blowjob. If Congress wants to impeach Trump they can easily do it, the problem is that they don't want to.

royalan

True, I think.

But, realistically, if we DID get a smoking gun out of this, I imagine the GOP would have to impeach Trump. With clear evidence of Trump being a piss-loving supporter of Russia, only the hardcore Trump supporters would stay in his corner after that. Republicans in Congress would be signing their death warrants by not impeaching him.

Kurdel

Banned

The GOP wouldn't let a man scretly groomed and supported by Russia keep the Oval Office.

Or else they would get wrecked in the mid terms.

Tevious

Even if he's not arrested, impeachment shouldn't be impossible. I mean, Republicans tried to impeach Bill Clinton on the basis of "perjury" and "obstruction of justice" when he slept with an intern and didn't totally fess up to it in a lawsuit. That's a magnitude less serious than a foreign power trying to undermine our very system of government and install a puppet leader.

The real question is: Are there enough Republican politicians with actual morals to act on this?

If Trump is arrested and prosecuted for violating the Logan Act. I think maybe it's likely he'd be impeached. Maybe he'd even go to jail, or maybe he could get off the hook. It's uncharted waters, so who knows what would happen. Unlike with actual treason, I don't think it's likely he'd be executed though.

Wrong.

Alright, let me just explain quickly the legal aspect of this. First off, pretty much no one gets tried for treason in the U.S. Why? It's one of the few crimes specifically stated in the Constitution and its definition is strict:

As you can see that is an incredibly hard standard of proof to me, especially the two witnesses part. Instead, what most people are likely thinking of is Espionage. We have various statutes that deal with the crime of espionage including the Espionage Act of 1917. Of course, when it comes to a sitting President none of this really matters because a criminal proceeding against a President doesn't necessarily remove them from office, that's what impeachment is for.

Now, when it comes to impeaching a sitting U.S. President (or any federal official) the Constitution is pretty vague:

The key word in this section is "high crimes and misdemeanors." These words were a term of art in the 18th Century and must be taken together, the thing is nobody has any real clue what they mean. As a result, a President can be impeached for pretty much anything, all it requires is the political will of Congress to initiated the proceeding. That is how Pres. Clinton got proceedings initiated against him for simply lying about a blowjob. If Congress wants to impeach Trump they can easily do it, the problem is that they don't want to.

I'm no lawyer, but I recently watched a news report explaining how treason is defined and that it's difficult to prosecute anyone for treason because, as you mentioned, the strict definition. I recall them explaining that it'd be difficult to classify a country, like Russia, as an enemy if we're not formally at war with them. I'm not saying he couldn't be impeached for all this, just that it'd be very, very unlikely he'd be prosecuted for treason.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
that conway lady

"...may have originated with a russian investigator"

Seth Myers

" it originated with a british MI6 investigator"

Conway

"right yes, one of those"

Seth Myers repeatedly corrects her and then she says "He has repeatedly said he's not aware of that"

this is the same guy that said 'I don't need all these intelligence briefings'.....

RDreamer

Depends on how much he annoys Congressional GOP members. Most of them are only playing nice with him because he won. A lot don't like him and I'd speculate many would be quite happy to have a President Pence rather than a President Trump. They'd just need enough proof to get to that point without risking too much voter backlash.

Gotta wonder if McCain is the wildcard here. Dude's 80 and just won re election for 6 more years. If there's enough info against Trump he might lead the charge. He's got nothing to lose, and he's already involved.

Tall4Life

It only takes a simple majority to impeach Trump, and with all the Dem chairs in the House combined with Republicans that will want to take advantage of this? It will happen. To convict would be harder but it's not a wild possibility.

So...let me get this straight....

Impeachment wouldn't happen because it was proven that the President was working with the Russians and everything else, but because of GOP approval ratings and election politics? Like even if it was proven, you'd need the GOP to actually want to act?

True, I think.

But, realistically, if we DID get a smoking gun out of this, I imagine the GOP would have to impeach Trump. With clear evidence of Trump being a piss-loving supporter of Russia, only the hardcore Trump supporters would stay in his corner after that. Republicans in Congress would be signing their death warrants by not impeaching him.

Pretty much. But I don't think we will get *THE* smoking gun.

Tahnit

Banned
It's an obvious disinfo campaign by the pro-Trump neo-nazis at /pol/ and t_d.

NO.

The reason being is that it has been presented to the POTUS and PEOTUS. Intelligence would not have presented it if it was not somewhat credible. A 4 chan troll is not credible.

Congress has the exclusive choice about whether to initiate an impeachment proceeding and they can choose not to. There is a choice.

It doesn't matter it would happen. The majority of Republicans in office can't stand him anyways. They would just need enough proof to justify it to not piss off constituents.

If it was proven without doubt Congress would boot him no problem. The GOP would prefer Pence in office anyways.

Wallach

NO.

The reason being is that it has been presented to the POTUS and PEOTUS. Intelligence would not have presented it if it was not somewhat credible. A 4 chan troll is not credible.

4chan claiming credit for it is the disinformation campaign. Not the report itself. 4chan is trying to act like they created it to deligitimize the story.

Tahnit

Banned
So...let me get this straight....

Impeachment wouldn't happen because it was proven that the President was working with the Russians and everything else, but because of GOP approval ratings and election politics? Like even if it was proven, you'd need the GOP to actually want to act?

They would HAVE to act.

We are talking about a President Elect conspiring with the Russians if this is all true.

He CANT be president at that point.

Pretty much. But I don't think we will get *THE* smoking gun.

The idea is building up public opinion, and forcing the House/Senate to launch a formal inquiry. People were kind of upset that they weren't properly vetting his cabinet, imagine how they're going to feel in a week when the Republicans have completely ignored a Trump/Russia paper trail that is public knowledge. Once people are done talking about Obama's Farewell Address, this is going to be on every news network around the clock.

rokkerkory

that conway lady

Seth Myers

Conway

Seth Myers repeatedly corrects her and then she says "He has repeatedly said he's not aware of that"

this is the same guy that said 'I don't need all these intelligence briefings'.....

Shit all adds up now

Meowster

It's just irritating because I see it swarming onto other websites that aren't anywhere near as big. Maybe the astroturfing is bigger than I thought it was or maybe people are just stupid. It's just been irritating seeing so many people argue adamantly over that. Feels like I'm on CNN with Corey and Boris and Kayleigh as they shake their heads and deny any fact thrown their way.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
that conway lady

Seth Myers

Conway

I'd love to see Conway proven to be knowingly involved in all of this. She's foul.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Ohhhhh I get it, Trump was just trying to summon the Triforce

15977428_10107365604955440_1920093982793335095_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom