• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

If they fail could they possibly make another with the same idea but for PC and iOS?

I'm hoping that after the reception he's gotten from the iOS gamers (not good) he'll relaunch a new Kickstarter with the funding goal it would take to switch lead platform to PC. He wouldn't even need to retool the game itself before the attempt, just explain what he intends to change and what he intends to do and then let the backers make it happen. Ryan is a core gamer making a core game, he belongs with us, not with the likes of Touch Arcade.

Come home, Ryan. Come home.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Before we enter into any financial agreements, we want to prove through Kickstarter that there is a market for a serious AAA mobile game

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm hoping that after the reception he's gotten from the iOS gamers (not good) he'll relaunch a new Kickstarter with the funding goal it would take to switch lead platform to PC. He wouldn't even need to retool the game itself before the attempt, just explain what he intends to change and what he intends to do and then let the backers make it happen. Ryan is a core gamer making a core game, he belongs with us, not with the likes of Touch Arcade.

Core gamer? I support this game because it looks good and it is for iOS a platform I play and support. I don't think anyone is less than a gamer if they play iOS games.

If you followed the game, you would know he did "Kojima" amounts of work.

He was definitely in the thick of the development.

Judging someone's work by the title is completely shallow.

It's one thing working on ideas within another designer's playground. It's quite another designing a game for yourself.

Regardless: I don't know what he did for MGS4. I know that it wasn't a patch on 3, and I know that he left 343 for one reason or another. I don't know enough about his skills as a designer/director to buy anything unseen.

Core gamer? I support this game because it looks good and it is for iOS a platform I play and support. I don't think anyone is less than a gamer if they play iOS games.

I'm with you, as I'd love to see it stay as an iOS exclusive. But if having it on PC will give it a better chance to get made then I'm all for that. I just want to play it.

If you followed the game, you would know he did "Kojima" amounts of work.

He was definitely in the thick of the development.

Judging someone's work by the title is completely shallow.

this post is kind of laughable. that's is all. "did "Kojima" amounts of work.". just amusing

JWong

Banned
It's one thing working on ideas within another designer's playground. It's quite another designing a game for yourself.

Regardless: I don't know what he did for MGS4. I know that it wasn't a patch on 3, and I know that he left 343 for one reason or another. I don't know enough about his skills as a designer/director to buy anything unseen.

You really don't know how game development works, do you?

this post is kind of laughable. that's is all. "did "Kojima" amounts of work.". just amusing

Given that Kojima's dedication and hard work can turn a game into one of the best games in history.

Yeah, that is a worthy praise.

I'm hoping that after the reception he's gotten from the iOS gamers (not good)
What iOS gamers have not liked what they see here?

You guys are just making up your own reality now. There is no meaningful way to tell the masses about this game yet (thin publicity) and you people continue to make the illogical leap to try to conclude that people who game on iOS don't want bigger games because a quiet kick starter hasn't exploded. UGH. It continues to be unsubstantiated, fictitious bullshit and it's fatiguing to read. The only anecdotal information we have about interest in the game is this thread, in which everyone who owns an iPad has expressed great interest in the game.

Even the guy working on the project and posting here agrees that there is a decided lack of exposure for this project in the mainstream of gaming and electronics websites/blogosphere and has prioritized that. That's the largest current hurdle to funding success. If he/they can figure out a way to leverage their connections to get more press and exposure, they should get the funding they need.

Regularly regurgitated, stupid arguments made in this thread that need to die:

1.) Ryan Payton is a nobody. - bullshit.

2.) iOS gamers don't want games with a bigger budget and appropriate price. - bullshit.

3.) iOS gamers don't want serious games. - bullshit.

4.) Because most iOS game sales are for simpler games, no other types of games could possibly sell. -bullshit.

Regularly regurgitated, stupid arguments made in this thread that need to die:

2.) iOS gamers don't want games with a bigger budget and appropriate price. - bullshit.

3.) iOS gamers don't want serious games. - bullshit.

4.) Because most iOS game sales are for simpler games, no other types of games could possibly sell. -bullshit.

snip.

I leave the pt 2-4 here and say this. you might write that; but the fact that this KS has very little support points the exact other way to what you wrote.

And I don't think anyone is saying that anyhow (as you've expressed)

Seems like a lot of AAA gaming on IOS apathy in the world.

you don't know this is going to be AAA. and a lot of great games on the IOS platform sells quite well. No apathy there. There's so much content on the appstore it makes NO sense to give money away and wait 1.5-2 years for an iOS game.

I would take your rant more seriously if the biggest voice in iOS gaming hadn't trashed the project and if the Kickstarter were getting more than peanuts in pledges. You speak of making up realities but at the end of the day you haven't been able to make reality a place where this is funded. All you can make up are excuses.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
you don't know this is going to be AAA. and a lot of great games on the IOS platform sells quite well. No apathy there. There's so much content on the appstore it makes NO sense to give money away and wait 1.5-2 years for an iOS game.
This has much more promise than 90% of the stuff showing up on the app store every week, though.

1 you don't know this is going to be AAA. 2and a lot of great games on the IOS platform sells quite well. No apathy there.3There's so much content on the appstore it makes NO sense to give money away and wait 1.5-2 years for an iOS game.

I'm writing this just hours before this page goes live. The team is brimming with anticipation, as everyone is hopeful that there are thousands of others out there who want more AAA experiences on their iOS device. Are we right to assume that? We will all know very, very soon.

Has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Yeah unlike the PC space, there is never anything to play there, that's the reason PC KS project are doing well, people will finally have something to play on their PCs.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah unlike the PC space, there is never anything to play there, that's the reason PC KS project are doing well, people will finally have something to play on their PCs.
That's a very ignorant statement if serious. That's putting it mildly, I did not realise one can be this ignorant while being the sort of person that posts on GAF. I hope I didn't catch your sarcasm or something. Please let it be so. I'm crossing my fingers. Hard.

Edit: ok, given your previous posts I'm going to assume it was sarcasm. Phew.

The popular PC kickstarters are under-represented genres, just as Republique is proposing something not common on iOS, by its own description. That doesn't mean there's no abundance of other software on both platforms. Possibly more on PC as it's a truly open platform you don't even need to pay anything to release something on, and that doesn't mean the quality's lesser either, even PC freeware can stand up to the iOS finest, as those often resemble the stuff you'd get from the likes of Newgrounds.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I would take your rant more seriously if the biggest voice in iOS gaming hadn't trashed the project and if the Kickstarter were getting more than peanuts in pledges. You speak of making up realities but at the end of the day you haven't been able to make up a world where this is funded. All you can make up are excuses.

who is it?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

PC would be interesting, but Vita would fit the format as well. How about multiplat instead of just moving it from one to another? iOS, PSN, XBLA, Steam perhaps? Costs would go up a lot though...

You really don't know how game development works, do you?

I usually don't rise to bait like this, but yes. I do. I work in games. I am a designer at an actual company who make games. I've worked on a number of games in a few different roles over the last few years. And let me tell you: the producers on our projects manage and organise like brilliant demons, but they do not really get involved creatively.

Out of interest, how many games have you worked on?

StuBurns

Banned
Regardless of the traditional roles of Assistant Producers, Payton did have creative input on MGS4's design, on PO too. If you think they're bad or not is another issue.

Alexios

Portable Ops wasn't very good... It could have been, and I would have liked it if Peace Walker (which was quite good) had followed some of the ideas in Portable Ops more closely, but in the end it wasn't. If that's what you meant by PO. I can't speak for MGS4.

who is it?

I assume he means TouchArcade? They pretty much said Kickstarter sucks, and won't support any projects on there, including this one.

It wasn't a direct slam against Republique, but this game not being publicized on TouchArcade, one of the biggest iOS gaming blogs, is a major promotional blow.

I'm writing this just hours before this page goes live. The team is brimming with anticipation, as everyone is hopeful that there are thousands of others out there who want more AAA experiences on their iOS device. Are we right to assume that? We will all know very, very soon.

Has nothing to do with what I wrote.

just because RP, says his name is AAA doesn't mean it will be. Its like marketing 101. You wouldn't say, hey we're making a B-tier game.

just saying. 3? I mean, you can go through the appstore and have stuff to play for months. And it won't even break a $100 bucks. whether or not you think the games are AAA, they are fun and have great dollar to value proposition.

there's also plenty of pc-->ios DS--->iOS ports of full games. ghost trick/scribblenauts,etc etc the list goes on.

The ecosystem on iOS is what it is. crowded. As for point 3. I mean, the normal iOS shopper, goes to itunes to buy games. there's plenty of stuff. 1 game of the week every week. Lots of other stuff too. They're not going to go to KS and throw $10 buck on something like this that won't be there for them til after 1-2 years. That's all I'm saying.

Alexios

I doubt it would help much but that's dumb of TA. Not for not being supportive, but they should cover it all the same and let their audience decide what they wanna do for it, if anything. This pretty much says that whatever they don't like they won't post about or they'll trash which also pretty much tells developers they should try and make TA like them if they hope to have their stuff posted there and so in turn that they're open to bribery more than anything... Or I'm overthinking it, but that's bad attitude anyway.

@above, there's next to nothing like Republique on iOS and few high production value games to begin with, regardless if they're actually AAA or not. Republique also looks quite far in development already and quite good. Sure, games can fail/bomb/whatever regardless of quality but I wouldn't say it's a good sign or something to ignore that this isn't getting funded when similarly gamer focused products on other even more swamped with software platforms get funded even if they have next to nothing to show. The actual quality of the final product is irrelevant since we can't know that for any of them, they are all equal at this stage.

Edit: oh, and yeah, I have an iPad2 but I'm not funding this, I don't like the implication that it's designed for the iOS audience.

I assume he means TouchArcade? They pretty much said Kickstarter sucks, and won't support any projects on there, including this one.

It wasn't a direct slam against Republique, but this game not being publicized on TouchArcade, one of the biggest iOS gaming blogs, is a major promotional blow.

Is it that dominate?
Feels odd that a single place would have so much sway nowadays.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
You know what I think the problem is? Its that they don't look like they need much help.

Lets look at past examples:

-Doublefine: HALP! The point and click adventure genre is dead! WE are the ones that can bring it back, only you can help us!
-Wasteland 2: I have been scorned by the industry for over twenty years trying to get THIS GAME made but they all lol'ed in my face! Didnt you like the original fallout? You did? Let me say the name a few more times Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout [...]
-Banner Saga: We are THREE DUDEZ and look at how AMAZEBALLS this looks! We dont need much, just a wee bit to get us over the hump

These all had a deep element of desperation or had modest goals brough forth by small teams that nevertheless had produced somethign that looked amazing.

Republique? It all looks like they dont need your help, theyre approaching KS in a different matter like"hey yeah if you help, its cool, I got the sweetest of teams here, got some other funding waiting as soon as we get YOUR funding, its gonna be sweet" Kickstarter responds best to desperate underdogs, Camouflaj is selling themselves as the complete opposite

clashfan

Even the guy working on the project and posting here agrees that there is a decided lack of exposure for this project in the mainstream of gaming and electronics websites/blogosphere and has prioritized that. That's the largest current hurdle to funding success. If he/they can figure out a way to leverage their connections to get more press and exposure, they should get the funding they need...

Lack of exposure? You are kidding me. It's been on every major gaming site including Kotaku. He even appeared on one the biggest gaming podcast to plug this Kickstarter. It's not the lack of exposure, it's the lack of interest from ios gamers that has his Kickstarter off to a slow start.

FStop7

Banned
These all had a deep element of desperation or had modest goals brough forth by small teams that nevertheless had produced somethign that looked amazing.

Republique? It all looks like they dont need your help, theyre approaching KS in a different matter like"hey yeah if you help, its cool, I got the sweetest of teams here, got some other funding waiting as soon as we get YOUR funding, its gonna be sweet" Kickstarter responds best to desperate underdogs, Camouflaj is selling themselves as the complete opposite

Ryan P was on Weekend Confirmed and he said he's pretty much put every cent to his name and then some on the line to get things this far. They definitely need it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Ah I see. It's quite funny that these people decided to take a very "pro-consumer" position aka "we open our mouth and you guys decide what to put in there" instead of "we want this tasty meal so here is money to cook it". Apple trained their consumers well, lol.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ryan P was on Weekend Confirmed and he said he's pretty much put every cent to his name and then some on the line to get things this far. They definitely need it.

I dont doubt thats the truth, I just dont get that impression from the pitch video.

Kickstarter so far has been used as the last resort, do you really get the impression no publisher would like to publish this game? It looks like they have a vertical slice they could use and can go after the Infinity Blade market, Id be surprised if he shopped this game extensively before giving in to KS .. my guess is he probably thought that he could get a lot more money (#million plus) than what a publisher would give him.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
@hodapp had some words to say again today

"The dude who is trying to soak up half a million dollars for Republique now wants to fly to Chicago to prove the project isn't vaporware.
I'm not sure what that proves other than this $500k would be hilariously mismanaged if they have the budget for things like that."

"The dude who is trying to soak up half a million dollars for Republique now wants to fly to Chicago to prove the project isn't vaporware.
I'm not sure what that proves other than this $500k would be hilariously mismanaged if they have the budget for things like that."

Bu Bu Bu But I thought he had nothing against this project specifically!

Come home Ryan. Don't cast pearls before swine.

smh

Haunted

woah, what a douche.

I'll start a Kickstarter to shut toucharcade down.

bob page

Damn, I liked that guy before this, too.

So, by putting effort into getting the word out about this game, it shows that the money will be mismanaged? Where's the logic in that?

It frustrates me how quick he is to throw shit. There are ways of being critical of something and ways to be an ass. He's just being an ass.

soultron

Banned
So, by putting effort into getting the word out about this game, it shows that the money will be mismanaged? Where's the logic in that?

Maybe it's because whatever site covers it is going to get the hits TA could've had?

TA could've added (or even captured more of the overlap) to their audience if they blew Republique up and gave it press. I've never heard of TA before and it's now a blacklisted site in my mind all because of the asshat EIC who has a hard-on for seeing this project fail.

numble

There's nothing wrong with Touch Arcade, they've given high marks to tons of $9.99 games and up, even 4.5 stars for a $20 iOS game. They refuse to advertise it simply because of a refusal to cover Kickstarter projects. His recent statement is more of the same.

Injecting this core gamer vs iOS gamer argument into it is silly.

Pastry

Banned
There's nothing wrong with Touch Arcade, they've given high marks to tons of $9.99 games and up, even 4.5 stars for a $20 iOS game. They refuse to advertise it simply because of a refusal to cover Kickstarter projects.

They have covered Kickstarer projects before, the most recent being Star Command.

There's nothing wrong with Touch Arcade, they've given high marks to tons of $9.99 games and up, even 4.5 stars for a $20 iOS game. They refuse to advertise it simply because of a refusal to cover Kickstarter projects.

If they don't want to cover Kickstarter projects for whatever reason then fine, no big deal. But something is wrong when terms like "Shitfarter" are used and ignorant claims like the one above are made. It's like this guy has something personal against Kickstarter or Ryan himself.

Top Bottom