• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
looks like this game isn't going to make it.
too bad, really would like to play it

It's probably still going to get made.

It's one of the reasons why I don't think this one is taking off so much. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets the impression that this game is going to be made regardless of the results of this Kickstarter. Unlike all of the other Kickstarter projects that have been successful, there's no plea or sense of desperateness that this Kickstarter must succeed or the game doesn't happen at all.

It's already in full-on production and they're hiring on new people, showing off the game is going to be to 'proper' media outlets, etc. It doesn't need a "kick start" because they're already well into the development of the game.

I'm sure Kickstarter funds would have helped make the game better, but I highly doubt its development is dependent on this Kickstarter's success. Ryan Payton started down this path, formed a company, and hired all of those people well before the whole idea of Kickstarting video game projects was even a thing. I find it unlikely that depending on fan funding was in his original plan. To me, it feels like they were already working on the game, saw the success of Double Fine and other projects, and decided they wanted a piece of that pie.

I may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

There are kickstarters I want to support. This is not one of them. I'm glad it's up to the fan to decide what gets made through this model. Had this been a PC/Mac game from the beginning they would already have been above a million easily.

I'm not so sure about that. What makes you say so?

BadData

There are kickstarters I want to support. This is not one of them. I'm glad it's up to the fan to decide what gets made through this model. Had this been a PC/Mac game from the beginning they would already have been above a million easily.

I kind of agree... seems like it's a game that pretty much requires the new iPad. I'm supporting it anyway because I want to see it made, but now that I've decided not to actually buy the new iPad, I probably won't be playing it. It definitely seems like it would have been a lot more accessible to more people if it was on PC/Mac.

EXGN

I kind of agree... seems like it's a game that pretty much requires the new iPad. I'm supporting it anyway because I want to see it made, but now that I've decided not to actually buy the new iPad, I probably won't be playing it. It definitely seems like it would have been a lot more accessible to more people if it was on PC/Mac.

Urr... it is on PC/Mac. But ya, I'm just not sure if I would want to play this on my iPhone. I play games on my phone with sound off for 15-20 minute chunks on the train/bus, so a 6 hour game with soundtrack and dialog doesn't seem like it would be good for me.

But now that it's coming to PC/Mac, I did plunk down $30.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Got a ways to go with only nine days.

Love the concept and want you to succeed, Ryan...but you may have overestimated things a bit...

Still. Good luck and I will be there day 1 if it comes out.

tagrat

I just chipped in yesterday. This was my first Kickstarter contribution and I really hope it goes through, but I'm not too sure it will. Hopefully the game will get made anyways as I really want to play it. I'm in for the iOS and PC/MAC combo.

numble

I don't really "get" the 4th video update. They're supposed to show people on the team hard at work on the game, but everyone was just staring at and refreshing Kickstarter on their monitors, with another guy counting down to Diablo 3. I know it's a joke, but it doesn't come off well.

zkylon

zkylewd
I figured that what was stopping me from pledging was that no one else seemed to, and I feel that a lot of people might be in that same position of waiting for this, so I just pledged my 15 bucks. I like the IP they're making, but clearly 500k was too much for iOS and first impressions killed this project.

Urr... it is on PC/Mac.

But now that it's coming to PC/Mac, I did plunk down $30.

BadData is theorizing that now that it's basically confirmed to have an outside publisher, it's iOS only again. Rumors are going around saying that Apple's publishing it.

I backed it at $30 also.

BadData is theorizing that now that it's basically confirmed to have an outside publisher, it's iOS only again. Rumors are going around saying that Apple's publishing it.

I backed it at $30 also.

There is no outside publisher, it's still iOS, PC and Mac. I'm still pulling for a GameCube port but Ryan is still hesitant. CURSES!

Thanks for backing guys!

glaurung

Pledged $125.

But it does not seem likely that this project gets off the ground. I feel bad for Ryan, he has so much invested in this.

I don't.

However, I'm not sure I understand the financial situation Republique's in though. If Camouflaj and Logan have enough funding (either internally or through external investment) to ramp up to what others in the thread call full production, what purpose does the Kickstarter project serve?

Additional funds to make the game better? Raise awareness of its existence in the gaming community?

Most of the games I've backed say they wouldn't be able to exist without the donations of the backers. Take The Banner Saga or Wasteland 2 for example. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

I used the term "outside publisher" to refer to how I thought the game was being funded outside of possible Kickstarter funds, not necessarily a big company that gamers are familiar with such as EA.

DXPett1

I would say the Kickstarter funding is both a insight into the community and what it thinks of a iOS game of this calibur plus extra funding to keep the project in house rather than run to a publisher for funding and lose control over the IP/rights/distribution etc...

Hayter on board now... very nice. Where are they getting the money to hire this kind of talent I wonder?

Anyway, things are still looking grim for this one.

So what's Billy Berghammer's role in this?

Mobius1

Anyway, things are still looking grim for this one.

I want to believe it's going to get funded, but this ^

It looks like Kickstarters work best when you make a big impact up-front, rather than sweeten the deal over time. Short attention-spans and what-not.

As a backer it's great to see more things being added, but I'm no longer person they're trying to sway.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, this Kickstarter isn't going to hit 500k, but from all the news and dev comments it seems like it's not going to matter right? I can't see them doing all this work and announcing voice cast just to shut down production in a week...

Mobius1

So, this Kickstarter isn't going to hit 500k, but from all the news and dev comments it seems like it's not going to matter right? I can't see them doing all this work and announcing voice cast just to shut down production in a week...

They explain on their page,

"We want to prove through Kickstarter that there is a market for a serious AAA mobile game. While we may eventually have to share future profits from the game in order to finance development costs, we have no intention of sacrificing quality, creative control or IP ownership."

I think the idea is to leverage Kickstarter funding to retain control (not to determine whether the game should be made) but still seek outside investors to cover their estimated costs of $1 Million+.

They explain on their page,

"We want to prove through Kickstarter that there is a market for a serious AAA mobile game. While we may eventually have to share future profits from the game in order to finance development costs, we have no intention of sacrificing quality, creative control or IP ownership."

Yup, it always said that.
But I can understand that people are confused when their first video stated:

"Whether or not this game gets made, is your choice."

Goldmund

This is going to be a prime examination object for pathologists specializing in poor PR.

Dissecting ...

case study said:
Developed by industry veterans behind AAA games like Metal Gear Solid, Halo, F.E.A.R., Kinect, and cutting edge videos like the Skyrim television spot and the iconic iPod “silhouette” ads, République represents a strategic alliance between Camouflaj and Logan to make an epic action game designed specifically for touch-based devices.

... will lay the groundwork for a better understanding of how self-evaluation inadvertently communicates disingenuousness.

New excitement stultifying previous excitement is someone else's permanent killer. The right idea at the right time sells and doesn't need eight updates.

(This is a new and exciting update of my previous doomsaying.)

mik83kuu

Banned
This is one of those projects on Kickstarter that I secretly with to fail. Don't know why and I feel a little bad about it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
This is one of those projects on Kickstarter that I secretly with to fail. Don't know why and I feel a little bad about it.

Not positive but I suspect it'll still get completed If it the KS does fail. I just hope they can still go through with the Windows/Mac version in addition to iOS, I'll understand if they go iOS only though.

Top Bottom