• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
At this rate the project will be funded in less than 1 hour ... Only $15,000 away from being completely funded. Who'da thunk it?

Omikaru

He tacitly acknowledging the surge in backers.

Oh well-Hope it wasn't important!

The capitalised Hope suggests a name (ala Republique's protagonist, Hope, who was the centre of the #KeepHopeAlive campaign which he publicly mocked), and is also a backhanded congratulations of sorts.

There's going to be lots of crow eating from him once it crosses the finish line.

HBP

I haven't followed this as much as most and have mixed feelings on Kickstarter, however I think the game looks really interesting. I look forward to seeing how it shapes up and I will definitely pick it up when it comes out. I didn't think there was any chance it was going to reach its goal but now it looks like it should easily.

mclem

This isn't even coming down to the wire anymore. Goal will be passed before Ryan and Billy start their livestream. Just need to hope we don't get many pullouts or trolls at this point.

Yeah, I'm confident now. Barring trolls, it's done it. That said, I'm still not going to be completely satisfied until that timer hits zero!

monome

Almost every gaming site in my RSS feed has posted an entry on this kickstarter as mean to fund it.

This + added dev time for PC/MAC + nice schwags (that cost and it takes time to make them right) = big pressure on delivering a good game on schedule.

And how in the name of Impartiality will those websites be able to review the game?
It won't be a cheap iOS game, I would suppose many non kickstarters will look for reviews before paying up to 10$.

Good luck.

I don't play stealth games

kylej

Banned
Haven't followed any of this thread or the drama, but it seems like a whole lot of nonsensical passive aggressive anger over some people trying to go out and make a video game. Republique looks cool.

Double D

Yeah, I'm confident now. Barring trolls, it's done it. That said, I'm still not going to be completely satisfied until that timer hits zero!

I didn't realize that Kickstarter trolls were a thing, but I guess it makes sense. At any rate, I'm sure they are going to make it. It seems to jump at least $1k every time I hit refresh.

This is so exciting. It felt so defeated even just a few days ago.

Congrats, Ryan. I've got my pledge at $60 but man that $100 CE is tempting...

mclem

I didn't realize that Kickstarter trolls were a thing, but I guess it makes sense. At any rate, I'm sure they are going to make it. It seems to jump at least $1k every time I hit refresh.

I've never actually witnessed it. They probably don't exist. But there's always just that little nagging doubt in the back of your head...

Curufinwe

Haven't followed any of this thread or the drama, but it seems like a whole lot of nonsensical passive aggressive anger over some people trying to go out and make a video game. Republique looks cool.

The anger, if you can call if that, is more about the social media bombardment from Payton's friends in the gaming media than about people making a video game.

glaurung

I seriously did not think they'd make it, but at the current pace, they're going to be just fine.

Good, I want my CE and iPhone case.

The iPhone case is tempting but I most likely won't have an iPhone 4s at that point in June 2013 if Apple changes the design for the new model. If Ryan's reading this.. will you guys account for that and make a redesigned one?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mainly just Eli Hodapp of TouchArcade.

Since that incident I have completely avoided that site and will continue to do so. I've found better alternatives anyways.

Double D

Mainly just Eli Hodapp of TouchArcade.

Since that incident I have completely avoided that site and will continue to do so. I've found better alternatives anyways.

I keep seeing this guy's name brought up. Anyone care to explain what exactly happened?

dark10x

I keep seeing this guy's name brought up. Anyone care to explain what exactly happened?
He basically shat on Kickstarter and Republique specifically while going off on a crazy Twitter rant over the game and NeoGaf.

TouchArcade is a reasonably popular iOS gaming site where I expected to see coverage, but instead, Eli choose to insult and slam the game in every possible venue. He was a complete asshole about it and acted like a rotten child.

I just increased my donation by another $40, in fact, just to spite the asshole. :p

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
At this rate the project will be funded in less than 1 hour ... Only $15,000 away from being completely funded. Who'da thunk it?

Only $10,000 left to go ...

Salaadin

Who's to say they won't?

Its against the TOS if they get caught.

Besides, dont all backers have until the final minute to back out if they want? I dont think these things end until the clock runs out meaning it can still fail if enough people pull out.
Best case is that they go well over so they wont have to worry about that.

dark10x

Its against the TOS if they get caught.

Besides, dont all backers have until the final minute to back out if they want? I dont think these things end until the clock runs out meaning it can still fail if enough people pull out.
Best case is that they go well over so they wont have to worry about that.
I didn't realize that, actually.

It's definitely not a sure fire victory here, of course, but I'm really pulling for them and hope it takes off. It's so damn close.

I never would have expected this at first.

glaurung

*clicks F5 - another 2000 dollars added

Yeah, this thing is going to be just fine. I'm off to watch Dark Shadows at a local cinema.

kylej

Banned
People cluttering up GAF threads with ignorant posts when they haven't even read the thread is worse, but thankfully, it's easily fixed.

NO! Don't pretend to put me on ignore! Stop taking the internet so seriously dude. Now I see what Republique has been up against.

Ryan is a good dude, looking forward to the finished product.

Top Bottom