• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Researchers fully 'delete' HIV from a single human cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/22/researchers-delete-hiv-from-cells/

Here's how it works: the team analyzed a part of our immune system that fights infection and built a "guide RNA" strand consisting of 20 nucleotides (RNA building blocks). Those strands were then injected into cells typically infected with HIV, like T-cells. There, they targeted the end parts of the virus's gene and snipped out all 9,709 nucleotides that made up its genome. Since the guide RNA strand contained no human DNA sequences, it left the host cell intact -- but free from HIV.

*insert bad thing here* if Old.

Man, I honestly felt I would never see the day we get this far with some sort of remedy for HIV. I hope this keeps getting pushed forward.

Asking as someone who doesn't know a lot about this stuff, could this technique be used for any virus etc?

Figure all you would need to do is get the genetic code for it and adapt the technique to target that virus instead of hiv.

SegaShack

What an amazing find, can't wait to see what this pans out to. Also here's the quote about how the future of this research will go.

Though scientists eliminated the virus from cultured cells, there's still a lot of hurdles to clear before such therapy is ready for human trials. The virus's highly mutative nature means that there are numerous variants that the treatment would have to remove. The other challenge is to deliver the treatment to every infected cell, since complete removal of the virus is required to cure AIDS

Asking as someone who doesn't know a lot about this stuff, could this technique be used for any virus etc?

Figure all you would need to do is get the genetic code for it and adapt the technique to target that virus instead of hiv.
You'd theoretically be able to target it against any specific DNA sequence, viral or otherwise.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I'm imagine it went like this:

"Guys, guys! Come check this out!"
"What is it Dr. Khalili?"
*proceeds to gather everyone at his desk*
"See, if I point the cursor at the HIV virus and theeeeenn click it...PLUS this!"
*hits DELETE on the keyboard*
"...it vanishes!"
"That's amazing! Wonder why I didn't think of that?"
"The cure for HIV. It is known, Khalili."

This is awesome! Though it seems like it would be a lengthy process. Wouldn't they have to get into every cell of your body and inject this Guide RNA Strand? Or is this something they could distribute through blood stream if given enough of it.
Probably a stupid question, but I know shit-all about curing diseases

Woorloog

Banned
So, uh, targets a single cell. Tell me, can't this method be used to modify the same cells otherwise as well? You know, for genetic modification or some such?
Is this a new technique or just something that was applies against HIV for the first time?

no worries. american taxpayer will subsidize it for the rest of the poorer world.

it'll cost $1k here in the US while somewhere in Africa it'll be $1

lol the republicans will never go for it and as far as the cost here... Incredibly out of reach for anyone with the disease.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
no worries. american taxpayer will subsidize it for the rest of the poorer world.

it'll cost $1k here in the US while somewhere in Africa it'll be $1

At least we'll be able to afford it here in the US.

I'm imagine it went like this:

"Guys, guys! Come check this out!"
"What is it Dr. Khalili?"
*proceeds to gather everyone at his desk*
"See, if I point the cursor at the HIV virus and theeeeenn click it...PLUS this!"
*hits DELETE on the keyboard*
"...it vanishes!"
"That's amazing! Wonder why I didn't think of that?"
"The cure for HIV. It is known, Khalili."

I don't want to be around when they figure out what Ctrl+V does...

Kwixotik

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the idea of scientists literally erasing God's handwriting.
giphy.gif

Edit: alright, I'm going to attempt this. There's a theory of aging that says it is caused in large part by DNA damage sustained over time through various radiation, chemical agents, viral agents, etc. This happens naturally when walking in direct sunlight and it happens artificially when inhaling the byproducts of a burning man-made candle. If DNA is God's handwriting as you say, then he's already smearing it at random every day and so are we. If I put on sunscreen to avoid DNA-damaging UV radiation, am I interfering with the natural smearing of my DNA that God intended? Is it immoral for me to burn candles and, as a result, smear the handwriting by man-made means rather than natural means God put in place? If I learn how to smear one specific part to cure HIV, then that is suddenly immoral just because I understand the mechanism of the process?

I apologize if that didn't make much sense. I'm very sleep deprived. Gonna get back to studying now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom