• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy stuff.

I do some work on another forum and I take resetera as a lesson in how not to do it. How could they now have foreseen that stuff like this would happen. They paint themselves into a corner at every opportunity.

Ol'Scratch

could you imagine how peaceful Era would be without the insane TransEra members? At least the ones that cause all of the ruckus on the site, would be so much better.
Don't be fooled, it would just create an attention void that one of the other special groups would try and fill. It is only a matter of time anyway.

Termite

Actual question here: How would you deal with this situation if you were B-Dubs / the mod team?

Doesn't seem like there's any winning play at this point.

Chuckie

The funniest thing is that everyone here saw this coming ever since the trans summit. We knew the compromises the staff made back then wouldn't be enough in the future. We knew they would revolt again.

And while I do have a great time reading that meltdown, I sincerely feel sorry for Sophia. And it exactly shows the huge problem Era has. If you don't pass their ridiculous purity tests, someone is going to choke you to death in a rice field, Khmer Rouge style.

The people constantly bitching about the moderation not being strict enough, or constantly complaining about how it's not safe for them there or whatever else... Why don't they actually start a website instead of throwing empty threats with another exodus, and waiting for someone to make a website? Have some self respect and leave the website.

MRAUuCn.png

This is at least the 10th post I've seen from this guy bitching about Black Chamber Black Chamber . Like, he's still so pissed about those Night City OT threads that he could have ignored easily. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Termite

Expose their lunacy. Put a poll and ask the whole community what they think of their behavior. Imagine how fun that thread would be.

This would be a great option if their goal was to burn the whole forum down for our entertainment. Can't see it happening, though.

First thing I'd do is say that anyone attacking mods will eat a perm, no exceptions. You can get rid of some of the worst agitators that way and it's a defensible action. Say the mods have been struggling with mental health - mental health issues are a good cover for anything these days.

Then communicate more in the community thread. Make it clear that listening to minority groups is not the same thing as doing whatever they ask, and if they have a problem with that they need to find a new site. A bunch more of the agitators would leave at this point.

Then set out some rules for Hogwarts Legacy and other "TERF / transphobic" games going forward. Like only mods can make the OP etc etc.

Probably the best they can do to return to sanity.

Actual question here: How would you deal with this situation if you were B-Dubs / the mod team?

Disengage, let them tire themselves out. Then gradually weed out the ring-leaders as they fuck up in future. But really it's going to be hard. Do nothing and they will just keep going probably. Go hard at them and they will explode and burn the site. Give in and they will take over.

Chuckie

The people constantly bitching about the moderation not being strict enough, or constantly complaining about how it's not safe for them there or whatever else... Why don't they actually start a website instead of throwing empty threats with another exodus, and waiting for someone to make a website? Have some self respect and leave the website.

They all left.....but somehow are still there. I said it before...Trans-Era are leaving the site in droves...yet there seem more and more of them every day.

Expose their lunacy. Put up a poll and ask the whole community what they think of their behavior. Imagine how fun that thread would be.

That'd be a strong move for sure. Risky though.

Someone else said that they don't want to have the place to themselves, they need the audience and the clout. So they would have to be sure about taking the user base with them.

Ol'Scratch

There is no way to deal with it, they can't reign in the monster that they have made.
I would tell people that we are here to have civil open discussions where everyone is equal, and each community has their own thread to take other matters.
If Transera wants to make a thread for the evil of cdprojekt red more power to them, it would not be sticky and would be dealt with the same respect as other threads. If people go in and troll they will be dealt with but the same goes the other way if they go into other threads and troll the same thing.
If the thread drops or floats it will be on the merit of the thread. This goes for all social groups, this goes for all topics.
If a game has racist tones, make a thread to discuss it and again it will be dealt with in a civil manner and respect and trolls will be dealt with but if you take it into other threads in a heated manner than you will be dealt with also.
This is how it should be.
The knee jerk label jobs are as toxic as it gets, and even now you see it in recent bannings. They have terms and labels for everything so that they can handwave discussion.
You have the one person flipping out because they were called out for trans erasing, and lets be clear they were very much doing that. Other people would not be in a position to complain because they would be perm banned.

Enzo88

TO0vwqC.png

Jesus fuck. "Um yeah, it sux that you went through like rape and all, but I didn't get special treatment over a video game forum, so I'm like specially oppressed."

Dismissing people's opinion a priori based on gender and firmly believing to be progressive at the same time...this is a whole new level of stupid.

Also i didn't know that being straight makes people invulnerable somehow.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Serious answer here. Make a choice, what type of site you want. The owner Cerium has cash on the mind and tries to appease everyone no matter how fucking crazy. He scammed another forum for a ready made audience and it has dwindled (we have thousands of new members each week, my hairy sack you do).

Once you have a general vibe of the site, you'll stay and more will come like you or you leave and others go there and replace you. Once you have that your audience can grow. Competing audiences (bizarre to say for a video game forum) who want the possible GOTY banned because of a tweet years ago by one staff member (there are so many parallels you can draw with ERA and Poodlestrike now as you can with CDPR) and others would foolishly thought they could talk about another game by the developers of the Witcher series.

B-dubs needs to pick the poison for Cerium if that "owner" is too much of a coward. Trying to appease mentals along with normals will drive both away.

They all left.....but somehow are still there. I said it before...Trans-Era are leaving the site in droves...yet there seem more and more of them every day.

The "logic" behind their outrage is fascinating and entertaining. Obviously they think most people on the website are transphobes who just want to play Cyberpunk. Let's say resetera bans all discussion around Cyberpunk, are all the "transphobes" now suddenly gone? Nope, they just can't discuss the game so absolutely nothing changes either way.

If I thought a website was homophobic I would definitely leave.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

One problem is, and you now see it mentioned in threads is that they have made a new monster. They will very much be expecting the same treatment for every game that there is a gripe over, from being to sexy to perception of race or trans or gay issues. They will not be content with less.

Komatsu

There is no way to deal with it, they can't reign in the monster that they have made.

I know this might come across as hypocritical, given that I am GAF's resident bleeding heart when it comes to bans... But I would ban-hammer them all to oblivion.

You tell me as an admin to "fuck off"? Ban. Call me transphobic with no evidence? Ban. A board is not a democracy. Time for people to grow up.

I believe they could cull the problematic elements without fear of repercussion - I suspect these same elements are not exactly popular with the user base at large.

cormack12

Gold Member
Create a subforum called transera. Give everyone permissions to it. Take permissions from all other forums off them. Then let them see how no-one wants to even visit them in their little island.

This is a good question, and I don't know what they can do at this point. Ultimately they need to draw a line in the sand and decide once and for all whether they're going to be a Gaming Forum or an Activist Forum. Because it's clear that both of these things can't co-exist, and Cyberpunk was only the first big domino to fall. They will continue to find more and more "problematic" elements with more and more games, until you can't discuss games in a positive light in any way. This may not be right around the corner, but it's not as far off as you might think.

If they decide on ResetEra being a Gaming Forum first and foremost, then they probably need to ban the 50-or-so most toxic users on there and hope everyone else who sucks either follows them to wherever they scamper off to, or they stop performing. Because the toxicity is really pervasive. Back when I really cared about still posting on there, I hit the maximum of 1,000 ignored users and I'd have liked to have added a few more to the list. I think the majority of the visitors on Era aren't deranged - some of the recent poll results seem to indicate this - but the volume of regular posters on there who are shitty is non-trivial.

Serious answer here. Make a choice, what type of site you want. The owner Cerium has cash on the mind and tries to appease everyone no matter how fucking crazy. He scammed another forum for a ready made audience and it has dwindled (we have thousands of new members each week, my hairy sack you do).

Once you have a general vibe of the site, you'll stay and more will come like you or you leave and others go there and replace you. Once you have that your audience can grow. Competing audiences (bizarre to say for a video game forum) who want the possible GOTY banned because of a tweet years ago by one staff member (there are so many parallels you can draw with ERA and Poodlestrike now as you can with CDPR) and others would foolishly thought they could talk about another game by the developers of the Witcher series.

B-dubs needs to pick the poison for Cerium if that "owner" is too much of a coward. Trying to appease mentals along with normals will drive both away.

Cerium is really smart and really stupid at the same time. If he kept the vibe going that era had in its first year or half year it only would have grown more popular. The rotten apples were there but they should have been the ones to get banned.

Who knows, maybe he doesn't care at this point and he's just milking the cash he can milk before it implodes.

akYQD7q.png

OK, I DARE someone to find a more ResetEra post than this!

"LITERAL NAZI!" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What a worthless piece of shit to say something like that about anyone.

That's all that place is - displaced aggression, tantrums and entitlement. It's no wonder they are a joke in the interactive entertainment industry. I tried to get interviews for some of my OTs in the past and found out later that they didn't want to be associated with that toxic place.

I don't blame them.
Statement from Sophia:

m93mwh0.png
So she threw me under the bus too. That is very disappointing, as I thought she was the only nice Admin there.
I hope Black Chamber is enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 and isn't paying any mind to any of this. The invective they're throwing his way in that community thread is disturbing.
I am. I love it🤘
Honestly, how can anyone call him a 'literal nazi'. Its sad. I feel the worst for him over all this.

The guy was just genuinely super hyped for a game; and because he didn't temper his enthusiasm he was banned.
Calling me a "literal nazi" is as sensible as putting a chandelier in an outhouse.

The fact that I'm still a topic on their hissing lips means that ResetEra management really needs to rethink what they want that site to be; as nothing seems to be moving in a positive, forward direction over there.

Getting Team Worthless out of there would be a great start.
MRAUuCn.png

This is at least the 10th post I've seen from this guy bitching about Black Chamber Black Chamber . Like, he's still so pissed about those Night City OT threads that he could have ignored easily. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They need to keep me out of their conversations.

I did nothing wrong - and their "reason" for banning me wasn't even correct or reasonable. All they've done is paint me as a bad person - which I am not. I could care less what happens over there; so why do they still insist on bringing me up in their "tantrums"?

What a shithole that place is.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Cerium is really smart and really stupid at the same time. If he kept the vibe going that era had in its first year or half year it only would have grown more popular. The rotten apples were there but they should have been the ones to get banned.

Who knows, maybe he doesn't care at this point and he's just milking the cash he can milk before it implodes.
That would have involved him doing actual work. He stole an audience based on lies and never earned that audience. He didn't pay staff and once people realised no one was getting shit, the original team left. At no stage did he earn or work for anything, just scammed his way with money and when you don't pay for the house to repair it fucking falls in on itself.

cormack12

Gold Member

The problem is they were the posters pushing the numbers. Even now the crazies like zeo, hobbes, excel with all the high post counts are the ones who post prolifically. Take them out (which they need to) and you'll lose that dwindling frenetic activity as well. The outrage mob is what makes it move like a twitch chat at times.

The only solution was to not get in this position to begin with. Having said that they could probably ban 10 of the biggest assholes and steady the ship.

Saber

While TransEra is burning the site down:

QhGOi9K.png

This guy is sitting on the sidelines obviously reading everything but not posting? :messenger_confused:

Masterful troll indeed

Man...this guy is disgusting. I think its a blessing his not posting anymore.

Last edited:

Chuckie

The "logic" behind their outrage is fascinating and entertaining. Obviously they think most people on the website are transphobes who just want to play Cyberpunk. Let's say resetera bans all discussion around Cyberpunk, are all the "transphobes" now suddenly gone? Nope, they just can't discuss the game so absolutely nothing changes either way.

If I thought a website was homophobic I would definitely leave.

The weird thing is they consider everything transphobic (yet never leave)

What happened to laughing at yourself? We have some awesome black and Arab comedians here who make great jokes about Dutch culture, and I am like: Lol...he's right. And I understand it is not the same situation....but I refuse to believe there aren't gay people or trans people who can laugh when someone makes a joke about gay people or trans people.

Paltheos

I answered this this morning.

Man, the problem isn't that trans people are being treated harshly, the problem is that they're treated with damn kid gloves. Even perceived infractions have been met with bans for so long and toxic rhetoric against everybody else gone untouched that allot of the people there have internalized that, on this topic, they're infallible. And that leads to disasters like this. Users in or for a protected class screaming that they're being treated unfairly and a moderation team that's bent itself in knots trying to cater to them snapping and letting loose like PoodleStrike did.

You cannot have protected classes like this. Either loosen your moderation policies on everyone else or tighten them on this group. Either solution works (regardless of my personal opinion) but you must be consistent.

As a directive anyway. For actual implementation, make the point very clear in a sticky topic? I'm not an administrator and I'm armchairing here, but what I anticipate happening is is someone saying, "Fuck you. You're already not protecting the interests of Trans Era as is. This website is a joke." Be light but firm. Issue warnings to everyone pissed off, try to let everyone cool off and accustom themselves. To anyone who continues to not play by the new rules, slowly escalate. Eventually (a month? a few weeks?) moderate as you want. Be clear on this too.

The idea here is that the real bad actors will distinguish themselves from people just caught up in the frenzy (or adequately camofluage themselves so that moderator action isn't even necessary - you can have bad opinions on the internet, just don't be toxic).

Redlancet

Banned
That whole nazi thing has grown so fucking out of hand. Someone who actually had to deal with the nazi party or real neo nazi would smack the shit out of them but it has someone become such a quick tag and THAT Is offensive.
the funny thing its people who actually fought the nazis will be labelled as nazis by this mothefuckers,modern left ( specially on the usa) its just a laughstock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom