• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Ships 3 Million Units Worldwide in First Week of Sales!

ethomaz

Banned
Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Resident Evil 2 for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X, and PC has shipped 3 million units globally.

The Resident Evil franchise features survival horror games in which players utilize a variety of weapons and other items to escape terrifying situations. Cumulative sales of the games in the series now total 88 million units* since the first title debuted in 1996. More than 20 years later, continuous support from the passionate fan base across the globe makes it Capcom's flagship game series. *As of January 28, 2019

Originally released in 1998, Resident Evil 2 went on to achieve cumulative sales of 4.96 million units, making it the fourth best-selling game in the Resident Evil franchise. In the 2019 release, Capcom used its cutting-edge R&D facilities to build the game completely from the ground up for current-generation game platforms. In addition to visual effects, including detailed, photo-realistic graphics made possible with RE ENGINE, Capcom's proprietary development engine, the title provides players with a fresh horror experience via audio featuring Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 and real-time sound image rendering that utilizes binaural technology. Resident Evil 2 garnered mass attention prior to release, being honored with Best of Show in the Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2018—as judged by major game media outlets from around the globe—as well as boasting over 4.7 million downloads for its "1-Shot Demo," propelling sales to 3 million units worldwide in the title's first week. Further, with Resident Evil 7 biohazard (released in January 2017) having now gone on to sell a cumulative 6 million units*, Capcom looks to achieve similar, long-term sales for Resident Evil 2 as well. *As of December 31, 2018

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all stakeholders by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e190129.html

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Do we know how much Resi7 sold on its first week? Great numbers, now give us 3 and Dino Crisis Capcom! We need it in our lives.

angelic

Banned
Good. I went digital day 1, avoided all reviews and trailers, and it's brilliant. Hope they start work on Nemesis post haste.

Even though the lickers are kicking the shit out of me. Or should I say licking.

God Enel

This is great for Capcom. I watched the whole game on twitch and what I saw looked absolutely stunning. Hope they will revert back to this style of RE in the future (not only in regards to remakes but for new future titles as well, ie RE8 and so on!)

ethomaz

Banned
Despite those uk reports I expect re2 to outperform re7’s sales.
It is hard to say yet... these are shipment not sales so the comparison with actual sales report is dificult.
REVII is at actually 5.7m shipped as of Sep 30, 2018.
I don't think REmake 2 will reach that.

God Enel

I will never understand this behaviour.
I don’t have a PS4. :) and my PC isn’t able to run it.
And after work it’s just convenient to watch it while cooking and so on.
And some streamers are just entertaining.
Plus I love to watch people play games. Back in the days I loved it when my brother played a game and i was watching it :)
And I’m shitting my pants when playing horror games.

Last edited:

GenericUser

It is hard to say yet... these are shipment not sales so the comparison with actual sales report is dificult.
REVII is at actually 5.7m shipped as of Sep 30, 2018.
I don't think REmake 2 will reach that.

Why though? You can not see REmake 2 making another 3 million in 2 years? Please consider that the game will be discounted and offered in goty versions and so on. I think that it can very well excel RE7's sales given the good word of mouth. I think that actually helps the most after the initial sales drop off. See for example how a game like demon's souls basically sold by the word of mouth alone back in the day, becoming a cult classic.

ethomaz

Banned
Why though? You can not see REmake 2 making another 3 million in 2 years? Please consider that the game will be discounted and offered in goty versions and so on. I think that it can very well excel RE7's sales given the good word of mouth. I think that actually helps the most after the initial sales drop off. See for example how a game like demon's souls basically sold by the word of mouth alone back in the day, becoming a cult classic.
Because others Remakes appeal didn't reach that... I can see it around 5m while REVII will reach around 7m (it is probably already over 6m with holidays).

I will be happy to be wrong ;)

Last edited:
By the sounds of it, well deserved.

Huge success with RE7, then Monster Hunter World (best-selling CAPCOM game of all time), and then this.

Maybe CAPCOM can point some of this glitter-magic at their fighting-game franchises... :messenger_smirking:

chinoXL

i need to do my part and pick this up...i played the demo on both X and Pro, trying to decide on which one to buy...i played the demo with headphones and its legit, highly recommend it

ANIMAL1975

"All of this lines across my face, tell you the story of who i am..." and one of them is Dino Crisis, i'm a nostalgic old bag what can i do 👴

angelic

Banned
I don’t have a PS4. :) and my PC isn’t able to run it.
And after work it’s just convenient to watch it while cooking and so on.
And some streamers are just entertaining.
Plus I love to watch people play games. Back in the days I loved it when my brother played a game and i was watching it :)
And I’m shitting my pants when playing horror games.

I respect what you say but PS4s are so cheap these days, by all means watch after you've done it yourself. I can watch speed runs all day but never like that.

thelastword

Banned
Well if the director of RE2 had any doubts of giving us RE3, well that quells that.....And I expect even more sales/shipments in the upcoming weeks and months......RE2 is going to do great numbers.....

Just want to say, that I love remakes/remasters, those done well, like RE2, SOTC etc....If this game was just available through BC, I would not play it, but this remake of a classic redone with modern graphics and 60fps definitely deserves my time again......It also speaks to how RE really played before, the atmosphere and horror it pushed etc..... before RE4/5/6 made the series a bit more action oriented, the latter I love as well btw.....But contrasting styles reintroduced in RE7 against the more action heavy games are all noteworthy and brings different playstyles and moods to the table.....I personally love every RE made, some more than others, but it's really nice to see that the quality of the games and atmosphere has transcended through multiple generations...

God Enel

I respect what you say but PS4s are so cheap these days, by all means watch after you've done it yourself. I can watch speed runs all day but never like that.

It’s not the problem to buy one. I thought about it often times but maybe I’m out of actually playing games alone. Most of the time I’m playing games with friends. It’s like part of my socializing. I don’t have a lot of drive to play games on my own. Dunno why. Some of the bigger releases Ive played, like Witcher 3 or the newest god of war (I bought it and gave it to a friend afterwards) but for a lot of games I don’t have the urge to play them. After a day of work it feels like even more stress and I just wanna relax. That’s why I stopped playing dota and switched to heroes of the storm as dota was too exhausting - even though the better game. Dunno any of this makes any sense to you

Twitch basically replaced ‘come home and watch TV’

Excellent game so far. Think I’m about halfway through. Great atmosphere, controls, graphics, character models, gameplay mechanics, animations, sound, etc. Who says linear style is dead? Give me more. RE3 will be day one again like RE2 Remake was.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
It’s not the problem to buy one. I thought about it often times but maybe I’m out of actually playing games alone. Most of the time I’m playing games with friends. It’s like part of my socializing. I don’t have a lot of drive to play games on my own. Dunno why. Some of the bigger releases Ive played, like Witcher 3 or the newest god of war (I bought it and gave it to a friend afterwards) but for a lot of games I don’t have the urge to play them. After a day of work it feels like even more stress and I just wanna relax. That’s why I stopped playing dota and switched to heroes of the storm as dota was too exhausting - even though the better game. Dunno any of this makes any sense to you

Everything you say is valid, it's your world and I won't disrespect you, it's just a shame that the 3.5 year in the making, once in a lifetime remake of one of the greatest games ever, has been relegated to a viewing. I was up last night til 2am playing it, taking my time, actually feeling the scares, that's the way to do it I feel.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Remaking 20+ year old games is pretty legit I think. Tech's moved on so much, and obviously the audience is a lot different, its pretty much got all the upsides of an actual "new" game, plus the positive feedback and success of the original.

If Konami weren't such dickheads they'd be looking at this and thinking about how a proper Silent Hill remake would be a great idea right now.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well deserved and it should be used as the foundation of the series going forward.

MMaRsu

One is masterpiece while the other one is a piece but not the master one and end with T

Most people I've talked to really enjoy their playthrough of KH3. So I'm pretty sure it's not a piece of shit.

If it's not your type of game that's fine.

zeorhymer

You know, vidya games is a hobby/to entertain (unless you make a career out of it, then that's different). If you're not enjoying it, then just drop it and move to something that does help you relax. More power to ya.

Hell yeah! Sell this like hot cakes. Give us moreeeeee!

giphy.gif

More RE please

The Shepard

Excellent news and well deserved! Now give us resi 3 capcom. Absolutely loved the game and completed it twice over the weekend, one of my top 5 of the whole gen. Looking forward to the dlc. I could play Resi 1 to code veronica being remade like this.

Sophist

Originally released in 1998, Resident Evil 2 went on to achieve cumulative sales of 4.96 million units

This doesn't count the sales of the director cut edition or the sales on PC, Dreamcast, N64, Game cube, ... only the sales on psone.

God Enel

Everything you say is valid, it's your world and I won't disrespect you, it's just a shame that the 3.5 year in the making, once in a lifetime remake of one of the greatest games ever, has been relegated to a viewing. I was up last night til 2am playing it, taking my time, actually feeling the scares, that's the way to do it I feel.

I 100% agree with you! Everything you said is absolutely correct and I was thinking so many times about buying a PS4.. for god of war (I bought the game), for uncharted, for RE2 Remake, for The Last of Us2,.. but I guess I'm gonna skip this gen as it's nearly over.. and who knows if I'm gonna buy the PS5.

You know, vidya games is a hobby/to entertain (unless you make a career out of it, then that's different). If you're not enjoying it, then just drop it and move to something that does help you relax. More power to ya.

It is a hobby and that's why I'm watching it. I love video games but kinda not enough to play them. I love their stories, I love the graphics, the concepts.. but as I said I'm rarely playing alone. Most of the time - when I'm playing - I'm playing with friends online, or if together we play smash bros or mario kart. The last game I played alone, was.. Hollow Knight. The older I got the more I'm reverting back to 2D graphics and just play..

I'm just... getting old.. I think that summarizes it quite well. LOL

Top Bottom