• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

People asking for the config content, I can't find it. There are other configs but not for graphics. I searched for "config", "*.ini", and "*.cfg" inside My Documents and RE4's Steam folder.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
People asking for the config content, I can't find it. There are other configs but not for graphics. I searched for "config", "*.ini", and "*.cfg" inside My Documents and RE4's Steam folder.

Have you searched the My Documents folder?

Have you searched the AppData folder?

Code:
C:\Users\*Your username*\AppData

Then check the Local and Roaming folders, there may be something in those.

You're our only hope. Do it for GAF! Find! Find!

If not, it's alright, thanks for trying at least.

Seronei

I found a config in my documents, didn't see anything interesting in it. I'll post a screen soon.

resolution 2560 1600 60
vsync 1
fullscreen 1
adapter 0
antialiasing 8
anisotropy 16
shadowQuality 2
useHDTexture 1
ppEnabled 2
motionblurEnabled 1
variableframerate 60
subtitle 0

It's under /user/my documents/my games/capcom
You can also change mouse sensitivity and turn on mouse acceleration in usr_input there.

Start searching through config/ini files.

I did, and unfortunately I couldn't manage it to run @ 144Hz.

Here's the config.ini (in C:\Users\ctw0e\Documents\My Games\Capcom\RE4):

Code:
resolution 1920 1080 60
vsync 1
fullscreen 1
adapter 0
antialiasing 8
anisotropy 16
shadowQuality 2
useHDTexture 1
ppEnabled 3
motionblurEnabled 1
variableframerate 60
subtitle 0

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I did, and unfortunately I couldn't manage it to run @ 144Hz.

Here's the config.ini (in C:\Users\ctw0e\Documents\My Games\Capcom\RE4):

Code:
resolution 1920 1080 60
vsync 1
fullscreen 1
adapter 0
antialiasing 8
anisotropy 16
shadowQuality 2
useHDTexture 1
ppEnabled 3
motionblurEnabled 1
variableframerate 60
subtitle 0

Did you try

Code:
resolution 1920 1080 144
vsync 1
fullscreen 1
adapter 0
antialiasing 8
anisotropy 16
shadowQuality 2
useHDTexture 1
ppEnabled 3
motionblurEnabled 1
variableframerate 144
subtitle 0

and setting the config file to read only?

Did you try

Code:
resolution 1920 1080 144
vsync 1
fullscreen 1
adapter 0
antialiasing 8
anisotropy 16
shadowQuality 2
useHDTexture 1
ppEnabled 3
motionblurEnabled 1
variableframerate 144
subtitle 0

?

Yeah, setting variableframerate to anything higher than 60 makes the game super bright and play in slowmotion.

Currently, the best thing is to set it to windowed mode and just use ShiftWindow or WBG to get fullscreen.

Code:
resolution 1920 1080 144
vsync 0
fullscreen 0
adapter 0
antialiasing 8
anisotropy 16
shadowQuality 2
useHDTexture 1
ppEnabled 3
motionblurEnabled 1
variableframerate 60
subtitle 0

No v-sync, no tearing, 60fps (which is enough anyway) and it looks and plays great.

Miker

What's with the motion blur setting? It looks awful on my monitor. Is it something from the original console releases that doesn't scale up to high resolutions well? I'm not sure if I want to leave it on or not.

Grief.exe

What's with the motion blur setting? It looks awful on my monitor. Is it something from the original console releases that doesn't scale up to high resolutions well? I'm not sure if I want to leave it on or not.

Motion Blur is used to disguise low frame rate and low texture resolution.

Always turn them off for PC games, really only useful for consoles.

Grief.exe

More releases went through

AE,BH,KW,OM,QA,SA,DZ,AO,BJ,BW,BF,BI,CM,CV,CF,TD,KM,CG,DJ,EG,GQ,ER,ET,GA,GM,GH,GN,GW,KE,LS,LR,MG,MW,ML,MR,MU,MA,MZ,NA,NE,NG,RW,ST,SN,SL,SO,ZA,SC,SS,SZ,TZ,TG,TN,UG,ZM,ZW

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, setting variableframerate to anything higher than 60 makes the game super bright and play in slowmotion.

Currently, the best thing is to set it to windowed mode and just use ShiftWindow or WBG to get fullscreen.

Code:
resolution 1920 1080 144
vsync 0
fullscreen 0
adapter 0
antialiasing 8
anisotropy 16
shadowQuality 2
useHDTexture 1
ppEnabled 3
motionblurEnabled 1
variableframerate 60
subtitle 0

No v-sync, no tearing, 60fps (which is enough anyway) and it looks and plays great.

If you have Cheat Engine you could try setting the variable framerate to 120, then using Cheat Engine to set the game speed to x2 and you may be able to play at 120fps at the least.

antitrop

Unless it's Crysis 3, then you get whatever frame rate your PC can handle, and insane texture quality on top of expertly implemented Motion Blur. Now if only they could have made the game fun to play.

More releases went through

AE,BH,KW,OM,QA,SA,DZ,AO,BJ,BW,BF,BI,CM,CV,CF,TD,KM,CG,DJ,EG,GQ,ER,ET,GA,GM,GH,GN,GW,KE,LS,LR,MG,MW,ML,MR,MU,MA,MZ,NA,NE,NG,RW,ST,SN,SL,SO,ZA,SC,SS,SZ,TZ,TG,TN,UG,ZM,ZW

Man the US is really getting fucked.

Finally playing.

re4_4k_beginning53sb9.jpg

My PC can't handle 4k that good tough. The game slows down and voices/animations get out of sync if you can't maintain the framerate.
I better play in 1080p.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys this game is like a billion years old. Everyone can wait a couple hours to play it for the 8th time.

Miker

I'll have to disagree. I enjoy motion blur when it's well implemented.

Anyway, the motion blur setting on this version of RE4 looks poor to me, and I think I'll be playing with it off.

Also, I played a tiny bit of the game with my Dualshock 4, and the blue X icon kept on messing with my head, so I'll go back to my 360 controller for this one. Strange, as that never bothered me for any other games.

Motion blur always came across as ugly to me when used in video games, so it's usually one of the first settings I turn off. Never really thought about it as a technical workaround, though it makes sense.

antitrop

Motion blur always came across as ugly to me when used in video games, so it's usually one of the first settings I turn off. Never really thought about it as a technical workaround, though it makes sense.
I've really only appreciated it in Naughty Dog and CryTek games, they're pretty much the masters of it.

Sectus

According to twitch chat animations are sped up?

I haven't played it myself yet, but a friend commented that certain animations are way too fast while playing in 60fps mode. For instance:
- Shooting gems down.
- The spears during chapter 1 boss.
- Some of the water animations.
- Part of the jump animation.

The motion blur is rather horrible. It just looks like current frame gets blended with previous frame. I don't think any other version of the game had this motion blur, but I could be wrong.

Grief.exe

I've really only appreciated it in Naughty Dog and CryTek games, they're pretty much the masters of it.

Exceptions to the rule, those two studios are truly masters of their craft on their respective platforms.

I wish Naughty Dog was given the freedom to create a PC game. Dear lord.

antitrop

The motion blur is rather horrible. It just looks like current frame gets blended with previous frame. I don't think any other version of the game had this motion blur, but I could be wrong.

There is an ENB tweak for the OG RE4 PC port that adds Motion Blur, but it's obviously a poor implementation. I think that's it.

realcZk

Disappointed with the mouse controls, turning is a pain. Also, the game is super washed-out for me, had to turn brightness to -30 and it still doesn't look right.

EDIT: FYI - turning on post process made it really washed out. When I disable it looks fine.

Disappointed with the mouse controls, turning is a pain. Also, the game is super washed-out for me, had to turn brightness to -30 and it still doesn't look right.

What you mean turning? Mouse turn? The way RE works will be weird to turn like that instead of A and D.

Miker

Here's a random boring screenshot of the starting area, with some minimal SweetFX:

1080p only (sorry, no simple AMD downsampling)

As mentioned a few times, the motion blur should be turned off. As for the speed of animations (they might be too fast?), I haven't played RE4 in years, so I'm not a good judge, but they seem to be normal. After only seeing it at 30 fps for a decade, everything seems to be a little too fast at 60 fps. I'd be curious if there actually are sped-up animations, though.

EDIT:

Subtitles don't seem to be on, even though I changed them to on in the .ini, and the options menu tells me it's on (although it's still greyed out).

Top Bottom