• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Grief.exe

The deed is done

hkVu3vJ.jpg

Sectus

Ha! I know what motionblur is, I was just curious about its specific implementation in this game.

Like is it last frame blending (ps3 quality junk)? Per objection? screen based? etc...

I'm very certain it's blending two frames. It would also explain the original trailer as it had that kind of blur in it. I thought it was due to how it was rendered, but they probably recorded the game with the motion blur on.

I'm very certain it's blending two frames. It would also explain the original trailer as it had that kind of blur in it. I thought it was due to how it was rendered, but they probably recorded the game with the motion blur on.
If it is just frame blending. Much sadness. That looks pretty horrible usually unless you have like... a 500fps framerate.

Dr Dogg

Ewwwww at that post process option. I can't believe anyone looked at that for more than 5 seconds and thought "yep these 3 options will go down a treat". Thankfully off is also an option.

Anyway initial thoughts.

For the like 3 people that care no 2.35:1 resolutions aren't an option as it just crops the image (though seeing that gif from alo81 with the HUD as an actual game object might explain why). Downsampled from 16:9 resolutions and asides from the odd graphical flicker here and there no problems yet.

Some animations are a bit spotty at 60fps, namely jumping out of windows and maybe a reaction command or 2 but it's been a while since I've played this (and after a decade of 30fps my memory might be a bit off). The other selling point of "Ultimate HD textures" is a bit hit and miss. Items and treasures look better than ever but some of the environment ones and Leon's collar really don't look too much better.

KB & M controls fell a bit floaty but it's is trying to replicate an analogue stick with the mouse. Works okish for my tastes and I'd find it serviceable for a playthrough but the game was designed with a controller in mind. Plus when you have a system in place that each weapon has a variable amount of sway it's never going to translate brilliantly to mouse controls without grinding someone's gears. Tank controls and the stick functions did get a bit of getting used to but after 5 mins was like riding a bike again.

Still at the end of the day they are only minor gripes and it's still one of the greatest games I've ever played and nothing has effected that so far.

Edit: Oh yeah SLI doesn't work out the box but I'm sure someone will find an Inspector comparable bit soonish. Then again even at 3840x2160 it's hardly a taking game.

Hey GAF, can you give me the pastebin for the app manifest? I forgot to copy it. :( It should be appmanifest_254700.acf instead the steamapps folder.

edit: Nvm Steam discovered it when I installed.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Game is capped to 60fps, so would it even matter? I guess if you are running it at 4k res or downsampling from that. Though the post above says even at 2160p it's not very taxing on the GPU, so it must be well optimized.

antitrop

Game is capped to 60fps, so would it even matter? I guess if you are running it at 4k res or downsampling from that.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of performance to expect out of this, but my GTX 590 is an absolute piece of shit without SLI.

I would love to use 4 or 8x SGSSAA, if possible. Downsampling, as well. But without SLI I'm pretty much looking at 1080p.

Either way, it just always sucks not to be able to get the performance you expect out of your hardware. Hoping someone figures out SLI Compatibility bit sooner rather than later, before I get too far into the game.

ZehDon

I dunno but 60 FPS feels kind of wrong. I have no idea why.
I kinda know what you mean. It's like watching The Hobbit's 48FPS version, after spending your entire life watching movies at 24FPS. I don't think its bad, it's just different to what I'm used to.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of performance to expect out of this, but my GTX 590 is an absolute piece of shit without SLI.

I would love to use 4 or 8x SGSSAA, if possible. Downsampling, as well. But without SLI I'm pretty much looking at 1080p.

Either way, it just always sucks not to be able to get the performance you expect out of your hardware. Hoping someone figures out SLI Compatibility bit sooner rather than later, before I get too far into the game.
Why not try out some bits yourself?

It is a forward rendered DX9 game. THere are easily bits compatiable for it (like half life 2 bits for example).

Piano

Banned
Generally a console gamer? Maybe you aren't used to the fluidity of 60 frames per second.

If you've played a certain game a lot you can get used to the motion / feel of the game and it takes a bit of time to adjust.

It's how I felt when I saw 60FPS Dark Souls. Unquestionably smoother and better ... but after 130 hours of that game at 30fps it felt strange.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The 60fps only feels somewhat "wrong" to me because I've played this game so many times at 30.

I could never go back to 30, though.

Dr Dogg

Still by far and away the best treasure collecting aspect and inventory management in gaming bar none. Really scratches my organisational itch.

Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Well my bottom card is getting some usage, like 5% compared to the top cards 40%. If I got time in the morning I'll try and see if I can get SLI working. I might try it out on my old 480 at the same time but even at 4k it's not that demanding. Don't know what 8x SGSSAA on top would do to that though.

Grief.exe

If you've played a certain game a lot you can get used to the motion / feel of the game and it takes a bit of time to adjust.

It's how I felt when I saw 60FPS Dark Souls. Unquestionably smoother and better ... but after 130 hours of that game at 30fps it felt strange.

Ok, I know what you guys are referring to now. I remember when I first saw footage of Dark Souls at 60 FPS, it looked very strange.

I agree with Nin90, always prefer 60 FPS but the Capcom stream earlier looked super weird. Might have been the motion blur, sure I'll get used to it in any case. Might also just be because I've finished the game so many times at this point that the change is more noticeable than normal.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ok, I know what you guys are referring to now. I remember when I first saw footage of Dark Souls at 60 FPS, it looked very strange.

Yup, that sort of strange. Though keep in mind many people have played Resident Evil 4 many times over the last nine years, so it now being 60 fps probably looks even stranger to them.

(I'm in this camp, but it's not a bad thing).

UnrealEck

Before I sold GTA5, I had played Dark Souls on my PC at 60 FPS. Then I went and played GTA5 on PS3 just after it and I seriously found it really hard to play GTA5. I turned it off too.

Just a heads up, although it could be just my pc: The game doesn't support 4k with the game AA turned on, like source games. only works up to 1800p with it.

antitrop

Before I sold GTA5, I had played Dark Souls on my PC at 60 FPS. Then I went and played GTA5 on PS3 just after it and I seriously found it really hard to play GTA5. I turned it off too.
I ruined Demon's Souls for myself, because I played Dark Souls: Prepare to Durante Edition before it, and I can't go back afterwards.

Dr Dogg

Actually the only thing about this so far rubbing me up the wrong way is the same achievement list from the 360 version. This game has way more scope for some inventive ones ones that the stock 12 from that release.

I do get the 60fps feels a bit weird remarks as it was a noticeably different as if something was off about the game at first. Though after getting through the village section and up to Louis there is no way I could ever play RE4 at 30fps ever again. Unless something seriously breaks later on, for me it's the preferred choice.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Was gonna wait for a sale on this, but fuck it. I want something to play this weekend.

Haven't played RE4 since the GC days. Should be a treat.

dreamfall

Oooo. Nice cards! It may be time to change my Revelations background.

Goodness, this wait is exciting! PC goodness - Kb/M controls make RE games much easier but it'll be glorious!

Top Bottom