• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Streaming it a bit in 720p 60fps if anyone is curious how it looks: http://twitch.tv/cronzik

Using Mouse/KB for now so bear with me 8D

My God. The 60fps is so bizarre to me having played/finished it so many times prior. Looks amazing though. I will say that I still prefer the "old, dirty" wood textures as opposed to the new HD ones, which are too neat looking imo.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think the cards may look a bit better if they had screenshots or environment art behind them instead of orange, but whatever. I'm more interested in backgrounds and badges, personally.

Grief.exe

Method I used to VPN unlock RE4

I recommend using the Moscow location as the others I tried, France, England, forced me to download the soundtrack and artbook which was murder on a slow VPN connection.

For the sake of preparation, let's assume that the Capcom dev is on point and there's going to be slightly staggered rollout. Since the rollout window is small I'd advise against using FlyVPN since it can be a pain in the arse to get a slot; instead, use inCloak, a service which offers a free 24-hour trial and has servers in the UK and NZ. For those new to this, you may need to restart Steam after connecting to the VPN (type "what's my ip" into Google and ensure it has changed) for "Pre-load" to switch to "Play", and I'd recommend staying connected while in-game as otherwise your status may change and this can cause issues with achievements (they might not unlock) and cards (they might not drop).

Dusk Golem

Also, I just noticed that Krauser's name mentions specifically it is RE4, as do Leon and Ada, but none of the others. That is usually used to make difference between characters who appear in multiple games on Steam and have trading cards.

That might imply Capcom might be working on PC versions of Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles, as Krauser is in Darkside Chronicles as a main character. Also make sense if they were as they released HD versions of those games on PSN around the same time as RE4.

Dr Dogg

Just got to the section where during the Capcom stream a while back where the merchants lights where showing through one of the walls and it's all peachy my end.

Speaking of the merchant and the medallions
is it 10 for the Punisher and then all 15 for the first upgrade included?
Been a very long time and I'm sure I've forgot the odd treasure or 5.

Kadin

Why is there always a recent update showing in my Steam download history for the game? I haven't unlocked it yet and there's no traffic whenever I look at it. But every time I do, the 'time completed' shows as a minute or two prior to looking.

Been a while since I preloaded something apparently.

Dusk Golem

Why is there always a recent update showing in my Steam download history for the game? I haven't unlocked it yet and there's no traffic whenever I look at it. But every time I do, the 'time completed' shows as a minute or two prior to looking.

Been a while since I preloaded something apparently.

Game is released in Europe and they're fixing some issues users are having.

Reebot

Also, I just noticed that Krauser's name mentions specifically it is RE4, as do Leon and Ada, but none of the others. That is usually used to make difference between characters who appear in multiple games on Steam and have trading cards.

That might imply Capcom might be working on PC versions of Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles, as Krauser is in Darkside Chronicles as a main character. Also make sense if they were as they released HD versions of those games on PSN around the same time as RE4.

Oh that'd be nifty - I'd double dip for an HD Darkside Chronicles.

Dusk Golem

Alright Capcom, you got us into RE4. Now bring the rest of the series to Steam!

At the very least, I predict if RE4 does well, they will probably port over Code Veronica and Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles as those got HD versions on consoles around the same time as RE4 did. And the Krauser thing in the card name has me a bit suspicious.

you guys shouldn't deny what you really want

SPFIITurboLogo.png

Grief.exe

Steam forums make it sound like right now its keyboard control. Page up and Page Down also turn the itmes, but the key can be changed in the input.ini file.

Is it supposed to? I heard the word was that the inventory was gonna be keyboard only, unfortunately.

From your own OP:

I thought I had read somewhere that it would be full mouse control for the inventory. Must have been mistaken.

Dr Dogg

Work is going to be agonising now. Even after 9 years this game is still super tight.

Their next game should be Dragon's Dogma.

Only if they reinstate the original title music. Been playing through Dark Arisen whilst waiting for RE4 to unlock and I'm not as pumped up when I start it up compared to the vanilla release.

Shame Capcom have said numerous times 'no plans'.

Varna

Work is going to be agonising now. Even after 9 years this game is still super tight.

Only if they reinstate the original title music. Been playing through Dark Arisen whilst waiting for RE4 to unlock and I'm not as pumped up when I start it up compared to the vanilla release.

Shame Capcom have said numerous times 'no plans'.

Absolutely ridiculous on their part... If they just gave is some modding support the game would have insane legs.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm confused. By 360, does that mean the HD version that was recently released?

It's the GC/Wii version without certain specular effects that were a function of some element of the GC hardware. The PS3/360 HD versions were also based on the GC version and lacked the specular effects in question.

This version has lots of updated textures and runs at 60fps (if you're wondering what distinguishes it from the last-gen ports).

It's the GC/Wii version without certain specular effects that were a function of some element of the GC hardware. The PS3/360 HD versions were also based on the GC version and lacked the specular effects in question.

This version has lots of updated textures and runs at 60fps (if you're wondering what distinguishes it from the last-gen ports).

Gotcha, thank you.

Miker

Time to add another column to the already massive chart of RE4 versions: weird animations. Checkmark for PC Ultimate HD exclusive, crosses for all other versions.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
How hard is it going to be to mod in Playstation button prompts in the UI? And should I expect that someone will do that sooner rather than later?

Time to add another column to the already massive chart of RE4 versions: weird animations. Checkmark for PC Ultimate HD exclusive, crosses for all other versions.

they're optional though, I presume, right? If you force the game to 30 fps it's as before? it's important that the table reflects what stuff in the PC is a choice, like the HD textures, which won't be everyone's preference, but they get a choice there, at least.

Miker

Could you elaborate?

There are a few posts talking about how certain animations are sped up, and how the rifle reload animation plays at 30 fps (although other weapons are the normal 60 fps?). I can't confirm these findings myself, as the animations seem okay to me, and I don't have the rifle yet.

they're optional though, I presume, right? If you force the game to 30 fps it's as before? it's important that the table reflects what stuff in the PC is a choice, like the HD textures, which won't be everyone's preference, but they get a choice there, at least.

Oh, sorry, I forgot about the 30 fps lock - I guess if you turn that on, it's a souped up version of the PS3/360 version.

Teknoman

Would be amazing if people could mod this to work with Wiimote controls. 1080p HD textures and wiimote controls? 100% definitive.

Top Bottom