• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

I might grab this while it's on sale, but I feel like I might have had my fill of RE4. I completed it countless times on GameCube, again on Wii and got the HD console release and never finished it. I think I have just gotten all I can from the game, and I'm happy with that.

Still, super happy that this great port is available to a bunch of people who probably missed out on it in it's previous iterations.

Kadin

So yeah the art book is pretty impressive. Lots of info and tons of spoilers so beware. Haven't checked out the soundtrack yet.

So yeah the art book is pretty impressive. Lots of info and tons of spoilers so beware. Haven't checked out the soundtrack yet.

I feel like an idiot, but how do you access it? Steam says I've downloaded it, and it can be accessed by "launching it" - by which it apparently means the game. I'm stumped.

Grief.exe

Have people forgotten that RE4 has always had tank controls?

I don't know what to believe anymore.

I feel like an idiot, but how do you access it? Steam says I've downloaded it, and it can be accessed by "launching it" - by which it apparently means the game. I'm stumped.

Check the RE4 folder in Steam

Steamapps>Common>RE4>Artbook

Already got an update. 500MB? hmm

Its the artbook and soundtrack.

Check the RE4 folder in Steam

Steamapps>Common>RE4>Artbook

Thanks! Nice of them to tell us ;^p

I already have the soundtrack on CDs, just exactly as it is here (Darkness "side" and Aggressive "side" discs). They came with a hardback art book I bought. I thought this might be the same book. Pleasantly surprised that it isn't. Better art in the book, though, and less story/spoilers.

This game has some sort of issue with FRAPS and recording. All of my clips that I recorded have a strange tint to them and run at like 12FPS

Valnen

RE5 was built with strafing in mind for at least part of the development cycle. RE4 wasn't.

In the words of CCP, harden the fuck up ;)

It's not just strafing, aiming was better too. The mouse aiming just feels way off. I don't give a fuck about strafing but I would like my mouse to work properly. RE5 even gave you a crosshair when playing with the mouse.

Something is definitely wrong when I can just plug in my DS4 and the game suddenly controls just right.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Would be nice if all future Resident Evil releases targeted 60 fps on all platforms.

You'd have to sacrifice graphic niceties for it on consoles. PCs are easy enough to make 60 fps available, as generally are more powerful machines and users can freely upgrade to meet the ability to run it at such. Consoles only have one, unupgradable build that over the years becomes outdated and developers have to meet with what the console is capable of.

Teknoman

You'd have to sacrifice graphic niceties for it on consoles. PCs are easy enough to make 60 fps available, as generally are more powerful machines and users can freely upgrade to meet the ability to run it at such. Consoles only have one, unupgradable build that over the years becomes outdated and developers have to meet with what the console is capable of.

I'd be fine with that. Work within whatever graphical boundaries to have a nice looking game, yet still achieve 60 fps.

It's not just strafing, aiming was better too. The mouse aiming just feels way off. I don't give a fuck about strafing but I would like my mouse to work properly. RE5 even gave you a crosshair when playing with the mouse.

Something is definitely wrong when I can just plug in my DS4 and the game suddenly controls just right.

Nothing is wrong. It's a game built for being played on the joypad. That's all. RE5's PC version benefits from RE5 being made in an engine that is very PC friendly from start to finish, even if the PC version came later. That isn't really the case with RE4 at all, hence some control, animation and framerate weirdness.

Valnen

Nothing is wrong. It's a game built for being played on the joypad. That's all. RE5's PC version benefits from RE5 being made in an engine that is very PC friendly from start to finish, even if the PC version came later. That isn't really the case with RE4 at all, hence some control, animation and framerate weirdness.

I don't think the engine is really an excuse here. I think they were just lazy and didn't put much effort into supporting keyboard/mouse.

SeriousApes

I'm having all sorts of issues right now. Neither my DS4 or 360 controller are working. Whenever I try to change settings in the in-game video settings menu, the game freezes.

Edit: Never mind, controller issue was from having two versions of DS4 tool open at the same time.

Wait, so with mouse controls is swings the camera, and doesn't turn you?

Is that the same for PC RE5, RE6, and RE:R?

That's what the mouse does with 99% of third person PC games?

Edit: Nevermind, answer above made me get what you were having at.

If people hate tank controls they should give the woefully underrated RE6 another go which has the most extensive movement options in any third person game ever made. Freeform movement, roll, slide, push yourself off the ground, and so on. Obviously a completely different game though :p

ref

Game has played great for me so far on a 670. Silky smooth 60 at 1080p obviously. Going to try some downsampling tomorrow and see how high I can go and keep at 60.

Xbox 360 controller also worked great as well, I'm just too used to playing this game with a controller to switch to KB+M.

Using the Type 2 controls though, shooting with the triggers is much better than shooting with X.

Also visually this game still holds up pretty well.

Valnen

Okay, I figured out largely what was throwing me off so much, there seems to be a massive amount of aim assist if you're using the mouse. Your aim will feel like it's jerking around way more than it should because of it.

Guy.brush

Can someone detail what the issue is with the animations?
Did they just speed them up to run at 60fps? I had a fear that they were originally sampled and compressed to work with 30fps and that they could look weird if stretched/slowed to work at 60fps.

Dusk Golem

I'm not with them.

I'm not either. I am actually a bit flabbergasted at the vocal minority being so surprised and offended by the fact you don't turn with the mouse and that Leon's aim is a little shaky.

People are demanding refunds over this. It's ridiculous.

On my side, game has been running flawlessly, and played through the first chapter and a half. Looks great, like the small texture changes made, and been very smooth. Adjusted to 60 FPS faster than I thought I would.

Only real bummer so far is that there is no 16:10 support so there are black bars. Which would be almost acceptable if you couldn't clearly set parts of the game being rendered in them which is super distracting and weird because it doesn't look squished/cropped

Grief.exe

Can someone detail what the issue is with the animations?
Did they just speed them up to run at 60fps? I had a fear that they were originally sampled and compressed to work with 30fps and that they could look weird if stretched/slowed to work at 60fps.

The majority of them look fine. Apparently a few still haven't been sampled correctly at the new frame rate. Possibly due to oversight.

I'm not either. I am actually a bit flabbergasted at the vocal minority being so surprised and offended by the fact you don't turn with the mouse and that Leon's aim is a little shaky.

On my side, game has been running flawlessly, and played through the first chapter and a half. Looks great, like the small texture changes made, and been very smooth. Adjusted to 60 FPS faster than I thought I would.

Embrassing. The Steam forums are a cesspit of idiocy and ignorance of course.

Valnen

Turning with the mouse and tank controls aren't really mutually exclusive. I'm adapting to turning with the keyboard but it isn't ideal.

That's what the mouse does with 99% of third person PC games?

Edit: Nevermind, answer above made me get what you were having at.

If people hate tank controls they should give the woefully underrated RE6 another go which has the most extensive movement options in any third person game ever made. Freeform movement, roll, slide, push yourself off the ground, and so on. Obviously a completely different game though :p

I haven't bought it yet, I was just curious how it compared to the later RE games on PC.

Does using the controller do the same thing? Where when you're not aiming, the right analog stick swing the camera around, it doesn't turn you?

Hypron

Wait, so with mouse controls is swings the camera, and doesn't turn you?

Is that the same for PC RE5, RE6, and RE:R?

No, RE5 has more traditional controls. Turning while you're running is really slow though, but it's still doable (although I prefer to do it using A and D but it works well enough with the mouse). When you're just standing, moving the mouse will make the camera move around like in a normal fps/tps, it's really reactive. You can strafe too, which is a nice addition compared to RE4's layout.

You should have seen how mad some people were at DMC not having mouse support even though the game was made to be played with a pad (and had fixed camera angles in certain parts).

Dusk Golem

Turning with the mouse and tank controls aren't really mutually exclusive.

While true, Tank controls usually mean that you turn your character in place and move forward. Now you can turn with the mouse, and I have a feeling this control scheme may be added, but the controls also are mapped like they are in every other version, except the WASD keys represent the analog stick with keyboard. It took me a moment to not use that compared to the mouse (as you can use the mouse in RE5, 6, and Revelations, though those had more movement options), but its really a minor adjustment than something game-breaking.

But, I still do suspect that the ability to turn left and right with mouse may be added in a few days.

Dusk Golem

Hmm, game runs flawlessly at 30FPS, but when I switch to 60FPS im walking in molasses.

I can explain this! Its how RE4 was programmed. A lot of the game was programmed to work with specific FPS amounts to fit the Gamecube hardware. How it was programmed, the animations and actions need to be on-sync for the game to be working correctly. Not a problem on Cube as all Cubes are the same, but when on something like PC it can run into some problems.

The idea is the game must be running at either 30 FPS or 60 FPS. If it isn't, the game will have slowdown for the user. Let's say you can only run 40 FPS on your current PC. If you have it set to 60 FPS, but can only attain 40, the game will then be running at 2/3s the speed to make the animations and events occur at the right time. But if you can run 40 fps and play at 30 fps, you can do 30 fps so it should run fine.

It has to do with how the original game was programmed.

I couldn't work out how to quit, because the "quit to menu" option is called "reset game to start" which I thought meant it was going to wipe my save.

Lol.

Hypron

Actually guys, I'm wondering. How do you find the QTEs when playing on kb/m? I found the ones in RE5 a lot harder to pull off correctly than on a pad (I'm talking about the in-game ones, the ones in the cutscenes are easy regardless of the input device used). Considering RE4 relies on contextual actions even more than RE5 (there's nothing in RE5 like the Verdugo or U3 fights where you need to avoid attacks all the time by completing the QTEs that appear on screen), I'm thinking that they might get really annoying when playing with kb/m.

Dusk Golem

Actually guys, I'm wondering. How do you find the QTEs when playing on kb/m? I found the ones in RE5 a lot harder to pull off correctly in on a pad (I'm talking about the in-game ones, the ones in the cutscenes are easy regardless of the input device used). Considering RE4 relies on contextual actions even more than RE5 (there's nothing in RE5 like the Verdugo or U3 fights where you need to avoid attacks all the time by completing the QTEs that appear on screen), I'm thinking that they might get really annoying when playing with kb/m.

RE5 were harder for me on PC, but I figured out the buttons on Steam pretty quickly and they give you a few moments to react to the QTE buttons during the first boulder chase in RE4.

The buttons I've seen so far for QTEs is X, C, Left Click, Right Click, and Mouse Waggle.

Hypron

RE5 were harder for me on PC, but I figured out the buttons on Steam pretty quickly and they give you a few moments to react to the QTE buttons during the first boulder chase in RE4.

The buttons I've seen so far for QTEs is X, C, Left Click, Right Click, and Mouse Waggle.

Okay. So I suppose the dodge QTEs will either be X+C or left click + right click. The latter should be easy to hit, the former not so much. The timing window for dodges against Verdugo/U3/Krauser is pretty short so you'll have to move your fingers really quickly from their rest position to X and C...

The game feels so strange when you first load in. The tank controls feel extremely awkward and take some getting used to.

Inevitably, things quickly click and the controls actually are balanced perfectly for the game. The enemies move slow enough to allow you to stop when you need to shoot, but they can also quickly overwhelm you.

The game is just so good at building tension at certain moments. I am having an absolute blast! Made it to 2-1 and decided to call it a night, I can continue play tomorrow as I am off.

As for the visuals, you can tell this is a GameCube game, but I truly believe that it is gorgeous. Screenshot downsampled from 1440p.

Man Hi-Res textures my ass.

Top Bottom