• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Man Hi-Res textures my ass.

Within reasonable limits. It doesn't look revolutionary by any means, but a lot of the textures are less blurry. A few are noticeable, but most aren't unless you are paying close attention and remember the original game very well.

The most noticeable change is the textures on items when you pick them up and your inventory.

I also chuckled a bit as I noticed they made the random animal textures quite a big upgraded from the original game. There is a scene in the cutscene where you are tied up with Luis where you get a close-up of a beam and an ant. It's one of the shoddier looking things in the original game and always stook out to me, but in the texture upgrades, that scene does look noticeably better.

A lot of them you won't notice unless you look at them side by side. One example of mine:

Resident Evil 4 Wii taken from a video I recorded from then native Wii console:

RE4_Spider_Wii.png

That same scene from Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition taken with Steam Screenshots:

E418392035FBE4E9548878E9ABEB3023D80BFD64

Dizzy-4U

Well, I'm off to bed. No issues on my end, it runs perfectly.

You guys should try messing around with enb a little bit. I got the generic enb working, but the game goes slow-mo when activated. Maybe there is some option I'm missing.

Dusk Golem

Doing some screenshot comparison duty from screens on google to screens I take.

Resident Evil 4 opening shot from Xbox 360 version:

(need to find a better shot)

Opening shot of the Steam version:

1024x576.resizedimage

Rizzi

Eh, fuck it. I splurged and bought this.
Has anyone else noticed that the animation for reloading a rifle runs at 30fps?

Yeah I just played my 360 vers and the difference isn't that huge but noticeable. The framerate is obviously better.

It just seems like a nice cleaner filter than redone textures.

What so you guys think? Another cheap HD job by Capccocm?

ZehDon

Try setting the ini to read only.
Cheers for the tip. I tried it, but no dice. The game launches in 1280x720 regardless. It also crashes as a result whenever you try and change options, for obvious reasons.
So uh, where is this ini exactly?
Documents > My Games > Capcom > RE4 > Config.ini

The top line sets the resolution. Not sure why mine is stuck to 1280x720 60. Thought it might be my two screen set-up, but didn't seem to effect anything.
If I figure it out, I'll post.

EDIT:
Ok, sorted this problem. If your using an AMD card and your resolution won't change try the following:
Under Catalyst Control Center > HDTV Support (Digital Flat Panel) force support for 1080p60 NTSC. I suspect this might have something to do with the PC port essentially being a console port? Not sure. In any case, the game will now accept any resolution I put into the config.ini file.

Eagerly loaded up the game ... I'm only at the start but man, the textures look like ass.
We've been duped to buying this game again! :p

No seriously, it is better. Can't expect RE6 textures, but it does look better especially the draw distance and backgrounds.

I played the beginning of both the 360 and PC versions and this new one is much easier on the eyes.

Dusk Golem

Menu screen on the Xbox 360 PS3 version:

625524_20110921_screen006.jpg

Menu screen on the Steam version:

CC4404D631FF01025C151FF3CA79030363A47FF0

That's not the 360 version, jacket texture is edited and the HUD is upscaled from the SD version.

Good to know on that one. The others I decided to take from user screenshots of the 360 versions and such after that though as most are pretty early in the game.

Menu screen on the Xbox 360 version:

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2011/263/625524_20110921_screen006.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I think you mean PS3 version.

[quote="Dusk Golem, post: 102594635"]Doing some screenshot comparison duty from screens on google to screens I take.

Resident Evil 4 opening shot from Xbox 360 version: [/quote]

That's a mod.

Played a couple mins of this and so far seems great. The big problem is it seems to have the exact same negative mouse acceleration as Resident Evil Revelations had on launch. To see for yourself: go into aiming mode then do a wide sweep with your mouse and note how far your laser moves, then do a fast sweep of the same distance and you'll see it barely moves at all. Hopefully it is fixed as fast as it was in Revelations but thats my main complaint.

One other thing I would like is for the WASD keys to move the viewport around when in aiming mode similar to how the analog stick does on the Wii version, rather than pushing the sides around with aiming.

If someone with more time than me could manage a complete GCN version config match, for Type 1 I believe, and then post that here, that would be fantastic.

Things that need remapping:
A needs to be shoot/check/accept/all that good stuff
B needs to be run/reload/cancel
X needs to be bitch at Ashley
Y needs to be inventory screen
RB needs to be Map
Start needs to be nothing.
If someone could wade through all that nonsense, I would give you an internet cookie. Or something, I don't know.

In other news, Steam forum is full of retards who demand a refund because their computer sucks.
Swap B and X and you got yourself a winner. It's closer to the original GCN controller layout that way.

I'm not seeing an Artbook folder in my Steamapps > Common > RE4 folder. Is it supposed to be here?

Dusk Golem

I think you mean PS3 version..

Got it, I have these screens opened from the PSN and 360 versions and switching between both so may get confused as doing this rapidly.

PSN/360 Version:

2110662-169_resident_evil_4_hd_x360_gameplay_village_of_the_damned_092111.jpg

Steam version:

A08163B0E9116C3ADFDD0913D8966F8577C7EEAB

Also as a quick thing, here's a quickly recorded, 57 seconds of the very beginning of the game on Steam (running at 60 FPS) [ever slight audio dysnc was a quick video issue, not in the game itself]:

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/105153

PS3 version of Resident Evil 4:

675726343.jpg

Steam version of Resident Evil 4:

3638EA0D85F444F3ED86EE30F74522DFBAC51BAF

Maybe it was the lighting in the 360 HD version, but something about it always felt "off" compared to the Gamecube/PS2 release I had played many times before and I could never finish it as a result.

Dusk Golem

Maybe it was the lighting in the 360 HD version, but something about it always felt "off" compared to the Gamecube/PS2 release I had played many times before and I could never finish it as a result.

I do understand what you mean. There was like, this bright light white in weird places.

PSN/360 Version:

625523_20110921_screen004.jpg

Steam Version:

63DF7097BA558F1B1F1D7EA244D88779EDEA1DC6

I'm playing with a controller and I think it's a solid port, not sure what some people were expecting regarding the visuals.
Only issue I had so far was that audio and video were out of sync during the intro.
Getting back into tank controls wasn't as hard as I expected.

MaLDo

Within reasonable limits. It doesn't look revolutionary by any means, but a lot of the textures are less blurry. A few are noticeable, but most aren't unless you are paying close attention and remember the original game very well.

The most noticeable change is the textures on items when you pick them up and your inventory.

I also chuckled a bit as I noticed they made the random animal textures quite a big upgraded from the original game. There is a scene in the cutscene where you are tied up with Luis where you get a close-up of a beam and an ant. It's one of the shoddier looking things in the original game and always stook out to me, but in the texture upgrades, that scene does look noticeably better.

A lot of them you won't notice unless you look at them side by side. One example of mine:

Resident Evil 4 Wii taken from a video I recorded from then native Wii console:

RE4_Spider_Wii.png

That same scene from Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition taken with Steam Screenshots:

E418392035FBE4E9548878E9ABEB3023D80BFD64

wow, they have really ruined a lot of textures. How is that possible?

Is not only the wrong texture, is that the new textures are flat about lighting tones, and that's not good in a game without bump layers.

Maybe the artist involved is only used to work in nowadays games where diffuse textures must be flat in terms of lighting/shadows because there are other layers that are responsible for that part. That does not happen in old games like this RE4 (even in a few more modern as MetalGearRising :rolleyes:)

Fuck it. Capcom should just do a full blown remake 1080p/60FPS with next gen assets

Game remakes never perform as well as the original title they're based on. I'd wager that a full remake would cost them considerably more and probably not make much more money than these rereleases. And honestly I really wouldn't want them to mess with the physics/spawn rates/mechanics of the game as they'd probably do more harm than good at this point.

How likely is it that there will be an update to accomodate us players who can't play with that weird left stick to aim control scheme? Maybe the mighty Durante will be able to pull it off?

Dusk Golem

wow, they have really ruined a lot of textures. How is that possible?

Is not only the wrong texture, is that the new textures are flat about lighting tones, and that's not good in a game without bump layers.

Maybe the artist involved is only used to work in nowadays games where diffuse textures must be flat in terms of lighting/shadows because there are other layers that are responsible for that part. That does not happen in old games like this RE4 (even in a few more modern as MetalGearRising :rolleyes:)

If you don't like the new textures, the original SD textures are available to choose in the options menu.

As a final thing, the game has three post processing effects you can choose from the options menu (though apparently it'll be easy enough to mod new ones in), but they look like such:

No post-process effect:

Post-process effect 1:

Post-process effect 2:

Post-process effect 3:
No wonder the game looked off to me!

I was playing post process at 3 thinking it was the highest setting of some sort of new graphical upgrade, LoL!

Hm, getting some random frame-rate drops here and there. Some environment textures do stand out like a sore thumb which is a shame but overall it's within what I was expecting.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The "rrrraaaHHHHHH" of the chainsaw dude as he gets very close to you still freaks me the fuck out, even nine years later.

What a game.

Dusk Golem

As said, an HD texture thing may just make a lot of things look weirder or worse. But anyways, there will certainly be a big modding scene behind this game (as there is a fairly big modding scene behind the original game and RE5/6/Revelations), so I'm sure some texture-related things will come up. Some did for the previous PC port.

I got some random slowdown here and there. It was odd, but it didn't happen too often. It was definitely noticeable, though.

I just reached the castle and am calling it a night. Good stuff.

I only played RE4 once on the Wii so the reworked textures aren't a big deal to me. The game looks the same as I remember it (which is not much), so I'm not distracted by thoughts of ruined textures, etc.

I seem to be enjoying the game more now than I did back on the Wii for some reason. The 60 FPS feels so good. Also, I went with Type II for controls. What about you guys? I didn't try the default ones, but just glancing at it made me say "Nope." I tried Type III first but the R-stick aiming was throwing me off during fights and I'd change the camera and get hit, etc. Type II is best for me.

Top Bottom