• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Minsc

Gold Member
Man the slowdown is really ruining my enjoyment of this. It only happens at some times but its still completely jarring,t hat and the lip sync de-syncing, and the rifle reload being stuck at 30fps...its ridiculous. Ultimate edition my arse

Set the game to 30fps mode and wait for a patch? I don't know, it doesn't sound like a ton of people are having slowdown problems, I haven't noticed any myself yet. I didn't run 8x AA though, 2x if fine for me, and gives me more leeway, as I'm sure 8x will drop under 60 sooner or later, while 2x has almost no performance hit in most games I play.

ZehDon

I've been trying to play this on my laptop with a Radeon HD6470, 8 GB of RAM, and a 2.5 GHz i5, and it's been unplayable. I've tried turning off AA and everything, and the framerate is constantly shit. I can even tell because it runs more smoothly when I'm looking at the ground...
Swap the FPS down to 30 and drop the res to 720, and see if that helps smooth out the performance. With those specs, you should be fine - I'm running a 2.3ghz Quad Core, ATI 5750 and 4GB RAM, and I'm getting 1080p at 30FPS with 8xAA with zero issues.

The big problem is if your FPS drops beneath the 60 target, even if its to like 55, the game goes into slow motion. It doesn't drop frames, it slows the output - sending the world into bullet time.

This game is definitely way harder than I remembered it being :/

I am getting my arse kicked in the castle... Just way too many guys attacking at once.

Dr Dogg

Can confirm that the Broken Butterfly reload animation is at the same speed. So far it's just the Rifle that is slower and the only 3 I haven't tried yet are the Riot Gun, the Striker and the Killer 7. Judging by my diminished skills it might be a while yet before I get my mits on the Hand Cannon.

Edit: And speaking of slower animations, the lava effects in that one room stick out like a sore thumb. To be fair I'm perfectly fine with it but when your marketing materials are speaking like the implementation is "running at a smooth 60 frames per second" you're setting yourself up for some backlash. I get the feeling it would have been a massive undertaking to get everything perfect.

Minion101

Banned
imRAYdtIdOXGW.jpg

Extra happy to see this again.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone having problems using the Dualshock 4 as an xinput device in Resi Evil 4 ? If I use DS4Tool, the controls feel off and movement is jerky/strange. But if you just use it as a standard dinput device it's fine. I have a 360 controller I use anyway so it's not a big problem but it's the only game I noticed the controls being strange when using DS4Tool/XInput wrapper.

Can confirm that the Broken Butterfly reload animation is at the same speed. So far it's just the Rifle that is slower and the only 3 I haven't tried yet are the Riot Gun, the Striker and the Killer 7. Judging by my diminished skills it might be a while yet before I get my mits on the Hand Cannon.

Edit: And speaking of slower animations, the lava effects in that one room stick out like a sore thumb. To be fair I'm perfectly fine with it but when your marketing materials are speaking like the implementation is "running at a smooth 60 frames per second" you're setting yourself up for some backlash. I get the feeling it would have been a massive undertaking to get everything perfect.
I can confirm the Riot Gun is at 60 FPS.

And yeah, it just seems to be the Rifle that is at the slower speed.

kick51

Banned
i caved in and bought this...

My timing in the village was off and I don't think it was the way I was playing! I can usually run around freely before entering the "great, chainsaw" house, but they caught up to me at the tower with the shotgun shells up top.

I welcome the increased difficulty or whatever it is that's causing this

sonicmj1

Swap the FPS down to 30 and drop the res to 720, and see if that helps smooth out the performance. With those specs, you should be fine - I'm running a 2.3ghz Quad Core, ATI 5750 and 4GB RAM, and I'm getting 1080p at 30FPS with 8xAA with zero issues.

The big problem is if your FPS drops beneath the 60 target, even if its to like 55, the game goes into slow motion. It doesn't drop frames, it slows the output - sending the world into bullet time.

Things were bad at 30 FPS already. I tried dropping to 720p from 1366x768, and that made it barely playable, with very frequent drops. Not really worth it, though.

I get that my computer isn't particularly strong, but this is one of the few games I've tried on it that's really having trouble running right. The Titanfall beta and Saints Row 4 both felt like they performed much better.

Dr Dogg

Man Mendez, Salazar and Sadler really missed their vocation in life as Bond villains. Even Salazar could be Knick Knack's lost twin "Meestier Kenedeee".

Plus instead of going for the obvious way of securing you premises like deadbolts and security cameras they instead plump for whacky puzzles involving a lighting rig and a gigantic drill in a hallway. All that's needed is a trap door leading to a shark infested fish tank.

tesqui

Doesn't this game have some sort of dynamic difficulty? Like if you play good it'll ramp up the difficulty, but if you play shitty it'll lower it?

Doesn't this game have some sort of dynamic difficulty? Like if you play good it'll ramp up the difficulty, but if you play shitty it'll lower it?

Yes. Ranks are associated with your performance, the higher the rank the higher the difficulty. There's no way of knowing what your rank is though (I think).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
with RE4, I can never tell if I'm noticing new stuff or forgetting stuff I saw last time. o_O

I think this was the first time I looked over the cliff edge and saw the two vehicles smashed after that cutscene near the beginning. This was also the first time I walked past the first house and saw that the ganado truck is blocking your way.

Set the game to 30fps mode and wait for a patch? I don't know, it doesn't sound like a ton of people are having slowdown problems, I haven't noticed any myself yet. I didn't run 8x AA though, 2x if fine for me, and gives me more leeway, as I'm sure 8x will drop under 60 sooner or later, while 2x has almost no performance hit in most games I play.

60fps was the reason i got this version, so i dont want to drop it to 30.. My PC is more than good enough to run a 10 year old game at 60fps, (hell i can run Thief maxed @ 60fps and its allegeldy a next gen game) this performance is just unacceptable.

EvaristeG

Banned
60fps was the reason i got this version, so i dont want to drop it to 30.. My PC is more than good enough to run a 10 year old game at 60fps, (hell i can run Thief maxed @ 60fps and its allegeldy a next gen game) this performance is just unacceptable.

Agreed. It's disappointing really.

Minsc

Gold Member

I was trying to come up with solutions, did you give lowering the AA a shot? My game defaulted to 4x, which I raised to 8x, but after reading the way framerate works, I lowered it to 2x (I'd even turn it off entirely if I encountered issues later on). The game was also just released, so it's not uncommon for games to get a patch or two these days. That said it is running great for me currently, so I'm not complaining, but the way some of these older games work, like this one, leaves a lot to be desired... like tying framerate to the speed of the game world instead of just making it real time like every other game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was going to mention, for those thinking the game is harder/easier, it has to do with your ranking, but you can't view or know what it is. The game adjusts its difficulty based on how you're playing. I believe things like how many items your picking up, are you getting hit, getting headshots, what difficulty you're playing, if you keep dying, and the like determine your ranking, and the game curves the difficulty based on that. Basically the better you're doing, the harder the game is.

I was going to mention, for those thinking the game is harder/easier, it has to do with your ranking, but you can't view or know what it is. The game adjusts its difficulty based on how you're playing. I believe things like how many items your picking up, are you getting hit, getting headshots, what difficulty you're playing, if you keep dying, and the likes determine your ranking, and the game curves the difficulty based on that.

Say wuuut ? Is that something exclusive to this version ?

And yeah I am finding harder than i remember, but i chalked that up to getting to grips with M*KB control.

I was going to mention, for those thinking the game is harder/easier, it has to do with your ranking, but you can't view or know what it is. The game adjusts its difficulty based on how you're playing. I believe things like how many items your picking up, are you getting hit, getting headshots, what difficulty you're playing, if you keep dying, and the like determine your ranking, and the game curves the difficulty based on that. Basically the better you're doing, the harder the game is.

If you're playing on pro the enemies will always have max aggression and damage. It's the same dynamic difficulty system as God Hand basically, minus the indicator.

And yeah I am finding harder than i remember, but i chalked that up to getting to grips with M*KB control.

It's always been in the game.

Dusk Golem

No, I believe it's been in every version. Just I think more people are experiencing it now from replaying, and maybe they added more difficulty options? I must admit, the village fight seemed to have more enemies than I ever recalled fighting on Normal difficulty a bit ago, but maybe that's because with the controls I was getting more headshots than I usually do.

TheUsual

Gold Member

Wow if true. I only played to the savepoint after the village opening and the chainsaw guy seemed to go down REALLY fast compared to my memory.

I remember there being a few differences between the older versions. PS2 could only handle less enemies and they compensated with either stronger enemies or less ammo drops or something.

Dr Dogg

You guys going on about the difficulty being tweaked might be right. I've never had such a tough time in that
double Garrador
fight on Normal. It felt like the armoured one was Professional difficulty supped up. Had to waste my rocket launcher I was saving on him. That or I'm rusty as anything.

kick51

Banned

I know that and I play the first part flawlessly every time, but things were different. They were faster at anticipating me, following me. Chainsaw guy was way ahead of the pack too, where he's usually going at the same speed.

Not complaining though, I like it difficult!

Dusk Golem

They might have added difficulty things to accommodate for Keyboard and Mouse controls, actually as that usually helps accuracy. As I will admit, I've played this game many times and several segments are far harder than I remember them ever being on Normal as well.
I know that and I play the first part flawlessly every time, but things were different. They were faster at anticipating me, following me. Chainsaw guy was way ahead of the pack too, where he's usually going at the same speed.

Not complaining though, I like it difficult!

I like it too, and as I was just theorizing, maybe they added new difficulty spikes for those who played the game and replaying it and doing well, and to help make it harder for mouse controls and such.

kick51

Banned
The chainsaw guy didn't turn up in the village for me. What gives?

really? even after triggering the cut scene?

I noticed the chainsaw sounds before I triggered the scene, which I don't remember happening before, but I could've just forgotten.

Seems getting this to 60fps and have everything work right might have been a bit of a challenge.

Top Bottom